• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it'll be at this Direct. I believe they were only hiring for it last year.
They began hiring for a UI Designer and Unity Engineer in October 2021, and in April this year the Unity position was closed and they are now looking to fill a boss battle planner position. They've been working on something else alongside Miitopia though as the majority of their Zelda / Ever Oasis staff remain absent; so maybe it could see a reveal this year regardless. Leaning towards next year though.

Interesting that Jet Dragon isn’t just a new IP from Grezzo, but it’s their own IP, not a Nintendo-published game, given the trademark… I figured it’d be another case like Ever Oasis, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here! Wonder if it’s still a Switch exclusive or not…

I have some actual ideas for the "MGS3: Subsistence" style of subtitles. You can make fun of my ideas, but you better offer some of your own, too.

Metroid Prime: Impact, Fission, Fissure
Metroid Prime 2: Abyss, Rift, Reflections
Metroid Prime 3: Termination, Infection, Invasion

For Prime 1, Impact from the meteor that starts the events of the game (and the Impact Crater location), Fission and Fissure also from that and from the radioactive effects of Phazon. Fission in particular has an issue with being too close to Fusion, but hey, the original game was released at the same time as Fusion, so there's some history there.

For Prime 2, the plural in Reflections would be important so it's not too similar to the ideas for Corruption, and because Echoes was plural. If you tried to pluralize Abyss or Rift I think it would sound worse, but those are probably still better picks than Reflections. You can't really use Rift if you use Fissure for Prime 1, though.

And I don't really like the options for Prime 3, but it's tough when "Corruption" is already maxed out on edginess and most synonyms sound goofy or have other connotations (degradation, degeneration). Infection might be too medical-sounding, and both it and Invasion are a little too on the nose. On the other hand, Termination is a whopping 4 syllables. Probably some room for improvement here.

The first game could colloquially be called either "Impact" or "Prime Impact" and the other two would be referred to like Echoes and Corruption are today.

0a8XCgQ.webp

Interesting that Jet Dragon isn’t just a new IP from Grezzo, but it’s their own IP, not a Nintendo-published game, given the trademark… I figured it’d be another case like Ever Oasis, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here! Wonder if it’s still a Switch exclusive or not…
Might not be game's title. Nintendo co-owns the games they make with external studios, but within the game, names of characters etc are owned by the studio. As evident with Rare games.

I wonder if Nintendo is even involved with the new Grezzo game. They do have a close relationship, which would make me think Nintendo would be involved somehow. Did Nintendo publish Ever Oasis?

Might not be game's title. Nintendo co-owns the games they make with external studios, but within the game, names of characters etc are owned by the studio. As evident with Rare games.
Oh that’s true, I wasn’t even considering that it could be something other than the game’s title.

They began hiring for a UI Designer and Unity Engineer in October 2021, and in April this year the Unity position was closed and they are now looking to fill a boss battle planner position. They've been working on something else alongside Miitopia though as the majority of their Zelda / Ever Oasis staff remain absent; so maybe it could see a reveal this year regardless. Leaning towards next year though.
Think maybe the Zelda/EverOasis staff is working on another Zelda remake for 2024, and perhaps their new IP is what we're seeing now with the new hires and the trademark, being a 2023 game perhaps?

I have some actual ideas for the "MGS3: Subsistence" style of subtitles. You can make fun of my ideas, but you better offer some of your own, too.

Metroid Prime: Impact, Fission, Fissure
Metroid Prime 2: Abyss, Rift, Reflections
Metroid Prime 3: Termination, Infection, Invasion

For Prime 1, Impact from the meteor that starts the events of the game (and the Impact Crater location), Fission and Fissure also from that and from the radioactive effects of Phazon. Fission in particular has an issue with being too close to Fusion, but hey, the original game was released at the same time as Fusion, so there's some history there.

For Prime 2, the plural in Reflections would be important so it's not too similar to the ideas for Corruption, and because Echoes was plural. If you tried to pluralize Abyss or Rift I think it would sound worse, but those are probably still better picks than Reflections. You can't really use Rift if you use Fissure for Prime 1, though.

And I don't really like the options for Prime 3, but it's tough when "Corruption" is already maxed out on edginess and most synonyms sound goofy or have other connotations (degradation, degeneration). Infection might be too medical-sounding, and both it and Invasion are a little too on the nose. On the other hand, Termination is a whopping 4 syllables. Probably some room for improvement here.

The first game could colloquially be called either "Impact" or "Prime Impact" and the other two would be referred to like Echoes and Corruption are today.
I find it cringe but in a lovely way lol.

On the topic of Grezzo, I wouldn’t be surprised to see an Ever Oasis remaster. They’ve got the experience for it after Miitopia, and it’d be another new IP on the Switch.

They did squeeze Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, Dark Souls Remastered and more ports in a Mini already lol.

What's the record for first-party ports in a Direct then? 2? I'm not counting 3rd parties like Dark Souls. I can see the 2 Zeldas and MP Remake but IMO it would get too remaster-heavy with F-Zero.

I can't help but wonder if I ever told a Nintendo executive they were an idiot
IIRC you mostly called yourself an idiot. So the question is, are you a Nintendo executive?

Last edited:
While im primarily hoping for Metroid Prime remake/remaster, if we get Paper Mario TTYD remaster im going to be over the moon since i never got to play it and i only finally played the Original Paper Mario thanks to NSO

You know if WW and TP are both released this year, then you really gotta wonder what Aonuma could have planned to keep yearly releases for the franchise going after 2023. If BotW2 makes spring of next year I think it's DLC could wrap up by the end of that year similar to the time table for BotW1.

That leaves the years open starting from roughly 2024 until whenever the next 3D Zelda launches. (2028? 2029?) I can see two projects as likely between another 2D Zelda (original or remake) from EPD and/or Grezzo, and then possibly a BotW2 themed Warriors from K-T. Besides that I'm not really sure what they can do with Zelda remasters kinda tapped out, maybe time to collaborate with another indie developer or make that sequel to Link's Crossbow Training? ;)

I refuse to believe that Nintendo reads this site

ResetEra sure, but not here
Once the Nintendo community left Era I don't see why anyone from Nintendo would stay there unless they're masochists. Last time I was on that site after the exodus it seemed like all Nintendo discussion just devolved to misinformation, port begging, and console warring.

I AM NOW OFFICIALLY A METROID FAN. I LOVED 2D METROID IN DREAD AND WHAT I'VE PLAYED OF ZERO MISSION AND I AM ABSOLUTELY LOVING PRIME.

YES I HELD MY SHIFT KEY.

Jet Dragon is just a ligma, Grezzo has successfully pranked you all.

What's ligma?

Once the Nintendo community left Era I don't see why anyone from Nintendo would stay there unless they're masochists. Last time I was on that site after the exodus it seemed like all Nintendo discussion just devolved to misinformation, port begging, and console warring.

I don't think Era is that bad for Nintendo discussion, but I'm probably in the minority relative to this site because I still go there. I think you might be a bit right for Nintendo-specific discussion, but a lot of discussion there is about games in general, and whenever Nintendo games specifically (not platforms) come up I think things are typically fine. Discussion about the Switch as a platform is more likely to devolve into platform warring circlejerking though.

Also, if Nintendo employees want to gauge how the industry as a whole feels about Nintendo, Era is probably going to paint a more accurate picture than a forum like Famiboards, which is for all intents and purposes a niche forum composed of the kinds of people who were into the Wii U (which is fine, I just don't think it's the audience Nintendo feels the need to directly chase). And if Nintendo employees want to go just to read about gaming discussion, they might go to Era because nothing says that they have to participate or care about JUST Nintendo-related discussion. Most Nintendo employees who play games probably own other platforms too.

Assassin's Creed Mirage definitely isn't coming to the Switch, right? I only ask since they say it's back to basics, and most of the basic AC games are on the Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom