• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If what Emily said is true and Nintendo monitors social media and fans online to gauge interested, then there's no doubt that Paper Mario: Sticker Star will be getting an HD remaster given how much this forum likes to talk about it!

How we feelin' about a Prime 4 tease along with the announcement of the Prime 1 remaster?
Feeling quite good.

Like I and others have said before, there's no scenario I can imagine where "Prime Remakester" gets announced, but not a bit of Prime 4 isn't shown off as at least a tease. Even if they're not ready to announce a release date/window yet.
One thing that's kinda worth pointing out is that Miyamoto and Amano actually at first did want to create an entirely new Star Fox game on 3DS. It just ended up becoming a remake of SF643D because the higher ups wanted something that could come out very early in the 3DS' lifespan.

maybe they'd tried reimagining sf64 right then and there

tbh I'm not even sure how much that Miyamoto quote regarding the future of the series really factored into anything considering 643D didn't even sell that great, either (took nearly an entire decade just to sell barely over a million), and yet we still got Zero.
Indeed. I'd like to think that if Cuthbert had been bought onboard all the same for another StarFox so relatively soon after Command, he might have pushed for the original plan to have another game take place "midway through Command (and disregarding all of the endings)".

And to be fair, one of the biggest complaints about 643D was that it didn't have online MP VS. in an era where such was an expectation, and probably was the biggest thing that kept it from being a perfectly realized remake of SF64. I know it was a big reason I wasn't in any big hurry, though I did still purchase it.

A mistake that would unfortunately be carried over into Zero, as well...

Bayonetta 3 was re-revealed at last year September Direct, coming this late October.
Splatoon 3 got a new trailer at last year's September Direct, coming this September.

September Direct of 2018 had Luigi's Mansion 3 (October 2019) and Animal Crossing New Horizons (March 2020). Despite 2019 being absolutely packed from June to October.

I'm certain we'll get at least one late 2023 game. Odds are definitely in favor of Metroid Prime 4 as last year was Bayonetta 3 re-reveal. The other one might be a 3D Mario.

Edit: last year we also had a reveal of Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak as the opener of the Direct, and that was a Summer 2022 release.

How we feelin' about a Prime 4 tease along with the announcement of the Prime 1 remaster?
I expect nothing. My stance now and for the foreseeable future is that Prime 4 was just a fever dream I had until proven otherwise. Someone on twitter photoshopped it. It was all a prank by the Obama administration. Metroid isn't even real Kevin made it up.

If I were to get any juicy media regarding Prime 4 I'd be glowing for weeks.

Indeed. I'd like to think that if Cuthbert had been bought onboard all the same for another StarFox so relatively soon after Command, he might have pushed for the original plan to have another game take place "midway through Command (and disregarding all of the endings)".

And to be fair, one of the biggest complaints about 643D was that it didn't have online MP VS. in an era where such was an expectation, and probably was the biggest thing that kept it from being a perfectly realized remake of SF64. I know it was a big reason I wasn't in any big hurry, though I did still purchase it.

A mistake that would unfortunately be carried over into Zero, as well...

One thing I always find kinda sad is Nintendo had actually also considered doing a Star Fox game on Wii...but ultimately it didn't happen because they didn't have the will for it.

SM: We worked on some ideas around Star Fox back during the Wii days. But the problem was that we didn’t have any new ideas to bring to the game. I wasn’t particularly interested in just making another Star Fox game with better graphics and better sound. So we set that aside back then. This time, as we were doing our experiments, and we found this idea of doing the two-screen gameplay. I was particularly interested in a new style of play, where you’d have the cockpit view on one screen, and you’d have the third-person standard Star Fox view on the TV screen, and how those two screens could interact with one another.

The idea of having a helicopter-style game, and being to then to drop a robot down and tether it, and operate the robot that you dropped while you’re controlling the helicopter: [There are] a lot of new and different ideas that we simply couldn’t have had, if we didn’t have that Wii U Gamepad.

Pretty big bummer considering that you'd think the Wiimote pointer would of absolutely been a huge selling point for a new SF title, but apparently it just wasn't enough for 'Moto. Ironically it was Star Fox Zero that did the gimballed aiming control scheme, but through the Wii U Gamepad and we all know how that went.

"Sir, we have done a word search and count of Famiboards.com to determine what games our fan base are most interested in. The top results were:"

1. Sunshine
2. Sticker Star
3. Stinky Horse
4. Raccoon
5. Xenoblade

"Good work Bill. We've got Sunshine and Xenoblade covered but we must do something for those other three. The demands of the fans must be satisfied!"

Pretty big bummer considering that you'd think the Wiimote pointer would of absolutely been a huge selling point for a new SF title, but apparently it just wasn't enough for 'Moto. Ironically it was Star Fox Zero that did the gimballed aiming control scheme, but through the Wii U Gamepad and we all know how that went.
Even worse is that Sin and Punishment 2 came along and pretty much did everything that a traditional/rail-shooter StarFox should've done.

My cents on 2023 reveals/trailers:
The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2: it's time, and it's a H1 2023 game. Very likely.
Fire Emblem Next: it's time, it's done, and it's probably H1 2023 too. It's a lock to me.

2D Mario or DK: 2D Mario sounds like a perfect fit for either April or June, the month alongside the movie and that isn't the month Zelda releases. DK might be saved for 2024 for movie and theme park, but I think it still has a shot for a late summer release. Both of those can be February Direct reveals tho.
F-Zero GX HD: too much smoke, but little space to put it. I think it's summer 2023, between May-July. Has a decent shot.

Metroid Prime 4: it's definitely time, they'd want to make cross promotion with Remakester and I think it's a late 2023-early 2024 game. Definitely belongs here.
Super Mario 3D Next: if it's holiday 2023 I think it'll be here.

x7ZOo7U.png

Maybe im the only one who wants this but pls god

The Golden Country. Would be a good fit for the Expansion Pass imo.
It doesn't seem to fit their strategy. The DLC on the Expansion Pack right now is all for games with online multiplayer components (regardless of whether the DLC itself does) that have also sold 10+ million. It seems to me that they're more trying to entice users who would be subscribing to NSO anyway to upgrade to the Expansion Pack.
Torna on the expansion pak is just a whole free game on the expansion pak
Presumably they'd use the DLC SKU and not the digital standalone SKU. Still essentially a whole game, but one that requires another game.
One thing that's kinda worth pointing out is that Miyamoto and Amano actually at first did want to create an entirely new Star Fox game on 3DS. It just ended up becoming a remake of SF643D because the higher ups wanted something that could come out very early in the 3DS' lifespan.

812d28edf3b3454ad2e11032893c1374.png

maybe they'd tried reimagining sf64 right then and there

tbh I'm not even sure how much that Miyamoto quote regarding the future of the series really factored into anything considering 643D didn't even sell that great, either (took nearly an entire decade just to sell barely over a million), and yet we still got Zero.
Ya know, in retrospect, the way the media painted the scene back at E3 2014 is laughable. Miyamoto returning to the director's chair (I remember some article using that exact phrasing) was presented as a last-ditch effort to save the Wii U, and the man just decided to make another Star Fox game. Because that's just such a well-known mover of hardware lol.

Man, Nintendo was in such a different state then.

I'm cringing at the thought of Nintendo employees reading my BotW2 subtitle suggestions

When watching a Direct, does anyone else here instantly check the clock at the end of every trailer? It can't just be me.
Haha, yep! That, and checking the time left during the last announcement to wonder if there's enough time for a "One more thing..."

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2: it's time, and it's a H1 2023 game. Very likely.
Fire Emblem Next: it's time, it's done, and it's probably H1 2023 too. It's a lock to me.

2D Mario or DK: 2D Mario sounds like a perfect fit for either April or June, the month alongside the movie and that isn't the month Zelda releases. DK might be saved for 2024 for movie and theme park, but I think it still has a shot for a late summer release. Both of those can be February Direct reveals tho.
F-Zero GX HD: too much smoke, but little space to put it. I think it's summer 2023, between May-July. Has a decent shot.

Metroid Prime 4: it's definitely time, they'd want to make cross promotion with Remakester and I think it's a late 2023-early 2024 game. Definitely belongs here.
Getting Mario and Prime 4 in this direct as late 2023 games would be highly unusual, especially with a schedule this packed. Nintendo doesn't really do H2 reveals for the following year in September. I expect Prime 4 due to Prime Remaster, but everything else first party will be H1 2023 or earlier, with the rest being saved for the next Direct (and perhaps even a few for summer).

The repetition is only a part of it; and really it's not a big part at all. The main reason why I personally don't like the 'replay to get new levels' style is because it devalues said levels. Not because it makes them inherently worse, but because it makes them disconnected from your own 'holistic' experience with the game. They're things you have to go out of your way to do afterwards purely for the sake of it, and that is always going to place them as 'secondary' to the set of levels you happened to get your first time around.
I'm not sure how much that applies to Star Fox. I don't think most players would be more attached to levels like Titania or Bolse than levels like Macbeth or Area 6, the harder levels are seen as more continuations of the main story.
It also inherently limits what kind of game a 'Star Fox' game can be. If your game is a 2 hour arcadey title meant to be played 4 times over, then you can't do satisfying long-term progression, or an in-depth 'complete' story, or even add much more content lest the game get 'too long' to replay. You can essentially only make Star Fox 64, but with newer 'stuff.' Which is fine, but not exactly befitting of where gaming is at right now in my eyes.
If you want Star Fox to be closer to what others have called "furry Mass Effect" and be one 40-hour story, then asking people to replay it doesn't work as well, though at that point you're asking for a AAA game that's going to need much better sales than contemporary Star Fox has gotten to make back its budget.

I don't think asking people to replay the game inherently prevents the team from doing more with the storyline, progression, or content, though. Nier: Automata is an example of a game that manages to deliver on these aspects across multiple playthroughs, and while Star Fox would have to do so differently, it's not an impossible task to structure the game to accomodate that. They could do multiple scenarios where you play as different characters that reveal different aspects of the story, or structure it as Star Fox team being assigned to different campaigns of the Lylat Wars, or they could hire Kotaro Uchikoshi and let him come up with something wacky. There's plenty of directions for Nintendo to take Star Fox in, and I believe there's room for them to keep the idea of multiple runs if they want.

If what Emily said is true and Nintendo monitors social media and fans online to gauge interested, then there's no doubt that Paper Mario: Sticker Star will be getting an HD remaster given how much this forum likes to talk about it!
All those "x franchise STINKS" jokes really gonna backfire when Nintendo cans Splatoon, Pokemon, Rhythm Heaven and more for good.

Getting Mario and Prime 4 in this direct as late 2023 games would be highly unusual, especially with a schedule this packed. Nintendo doesn't really do H2 reveals for the following year in September. I expect Prime 4 due to Prime Remaster, but everything else first party will be H1 2023 or earlier, with the rest being saved for the next Direct (and perhaps even a few for summer).
I mean, they do actually
Bayo 3 in the last september direct
Luigi's mansion 3 and animal crossing in the September 2018 direct
They're just inconsistent with it but it can happen

Coober here to chime in: Pinpointing just one reason the Gamecube failed is hard because it flopped on so many levels.
  • There is definitely something to be said about Gamecube games appearing to be family friendly when the rest of the industry was courting the adolescent demographic. The Gamecube was ill-equipped for that market, anyways. FPS became bigger than ever before after Halo, and nobody wanted to play FPS with that little nub-like C-stick. The sandbox genre exploded in a big way after GTA 3, but good luck cramming that amount of content onto one of those little discs.
  • Someone mentioned spectacle, which I think was more of a hallmark of the 360/PS3 era but certainly has some of its origins in the PS2 generation. RPGs were in a pissing contest about who could cram in the most high-quality, pre-rendered cutscenes alongside the most massive worlds. That data isn't going to store itself.
  • I liked the launch lineup, and it was certainly buoyed by the proximity of Melee & Pikmin, but...yeah, a haunted mansion-inspired Luigi game isn't exactly the kind of thing to get people running to buy a console.
  • People have bad taste.

Sometimes I want to buy a secondhand GameCube because I like it as an object.
Same.
Like even if they went nuts and released the entire Gamecube catalogue for Switch that I could permanently buy, I'm still holding on to my original gamecube regardless.
It's a very appealing near- cube.

Sometimes I want to buy a secondhand GameCube because I like it as an object.
It's such a cool design. The stout shape, the black circle on the top, little button to pop up the disc cover, the gray bulge with the ports, the handle on the back... It looks good in indigo, silver, black, orange...

I'm starting to see next year as a Switch re-launch. We're essentially reaching the next generation - Switch being 6 year old soon. That certainly puts the rumoured hardware specs and Zelda being veiled in mystery for so long into perspective. They're trying to cushion a risky new console launch by embracing cross-compatibility and maintaining Switch's USP and marketing clout.

In that sense, seeing BotW2 and 2D Mario soon would make sense - Zelda and 2D Mario having important places in Launch Title History. If both of those turn up in a single Direct... my God.

Also, side effect of remakesters of GameCube/Wii Era stuff: that's content that would have no problem running on Switch OG.

I'm not sure how much that applies to Star Fox. I don't think most players would be more attached to levels like Titania or Bolse than levels like Macbeth or Area 6, the harder levels are seen as more continuations of the main story.

If you want Star Fox to be closer to what others have called "furry Mass Effect" and be one 40-hour story, then asking people to replay it doesn't work as well, though at that point you're asking for a AAA game that's going to need much better sales than contemporary Star Fox has gotten to make back its budget.

I don't think asking people to replay the game inherently prevents the team from doing more with the storyline, progression, or content, though. Nier: Automata is an example of a game that manages to deliver on these aspects across multiple playthroughs, and while Star Fox would have to do so differently, it's not an impossible task to structure the game to accomodate that. They could do multiple scenarios where you play as different characters that reveal different aspects of the story, or structure it as Star Fox team being assigned to different campaigns of the Lylat Wars, or they could hire Kotaro Uchikoshi and let him come up with something wacky. There's plenty of directions for Nintendo to take Star Fox in, and I believe there's room for them to keep the idea of multiple runs if they want.
I think it applies to Star Fox in that it's less being attached to certain levels, but being attached to your first 'whole' playthrough of a story. It's why, in story-based games with 'good' and 'bad' endings, getting the bad ending your first time around often feels worse than if you go out of your way to get it in another playthrough. Because it's not "your first playthrough."

As for the rest, I agree. However, the concept being discussed here is branching paths, not simply replaying the game. NieR: Automata is essentially just 3 linear (with side stuff) campaigns and an epilogue with a bunch of content being shared and added on with every different campaign. You're replaying a fair amount of content, but it's all linear and there's no branching paths throughout.

Personally, and hear me out here lol, I think a game to look at to solve this issue would be Resident Evil 2 (Remake or OG). The game has essentially 4 different 'routes' to go through. LeonA -> ClaireB and Claire A -> Leon B. Choosing to play Leon's campaign first drastically changes the Claire campaign you do afterwards, and vice-versa. In the original, certain things you did in your chosen A route even had an affect in that B route. So, if you opted to sacrifice some ammo in the A route, it would be there to make the B route easier. This could be the equivalent to Star Fox's "Mission Completed vs. Accomplished" thing, with your actions and choices in a level during your A campaign making certain things in the B campaign harder or easier.

In all cases, the first 2 routes you do present a complete and satisfying storyline, running at around 12-14 hours. You're heavily incentivised to do so because, if you don't, you can't even beat the final boss and see the actual ending. However, if you want more, you can choose to pick the character you played second, first, and experience two more similar yet still fairly different campaigns. I think Star Fox could do something really similar and succeed at it if done right.

Sorry for the long post lol

Something in me feels like these "remasters" are more like HD upscales and not actual remasters
Gosh, potentially we will get a mini E3 in september:
  • Ubisoft Forward
  • Nintendo Direct
  • PlayStation Showcase
  • Tokyo Game Show with Xbox Showcase

CoD event, Marvel + Disney event too

I expect nothing. My stance now and for the foreseeable future is that Prime 4 was just a fever dream I had until proven otherwise. Someone on twitter photoshopped it. It was all a prank by the Obama administration. Metroid isn't even real Kevin made it up.

If I were to get any juicy media regarding Prime 4 I'd be glowing for weeks.
Oh god that avatar is bringing back all sorts of forbidden memories...

I started replaying Metroid Dread for the first time since October. Dang this game is good.

60FPS Star Fox (SNES) Remake. Improve draw distance, some light ray tracing features for Drake. A few bonus levels. Don't change anything else. Ship it.

September 2018, July 2020, February 2021 and September 2021 all had games coming in the next holiday season tho.
Mid 2019(Super Mario Maker 2, Astral Chain, Link's Awakening) and mid 2022(Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC, Nintendo Switch Sports, Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes, Mario Strikers, Live a Live, Xenoblade Chronicles 3) were absolutely packed, but the games coming in Q2/Q3 were only announced in those years February Direct, with the September Direct of the previous year showing games coming late 2019/early 2020(LM3, ACNH) and late 2022(Bayonetta 3/Splatoon 3).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom