• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to feel something about video games again.
2022 is the year in which I've been re-(re-re-)playing Quake, Burnout Paradise, Skyward Sword, Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, Doom Eternal, Metroid Dread and Mario Galaxy. Neon White has been the only new Switch game to resonate with me this year. I need some good fucking food soon-ish.

kirby was alright. splatoon 3 remains wait and see. xeno 3 i'll try used.

and yes, this is a stealth "how awesome is it that all these games are on a single and hybrid console" post

Oh was it? Out of curiousity, do you know where that was confirmed?

Like, I'd be unsurprised if they just let the franchise squander, but I'm still rather curious why it and so many other games were part of that GeForce leak even as more get confirmed over time as the months go by.
because certain third parties give nvidia games to make internal demos of these games using Nvidia technology for the nvidia internal researches.
As with the wolfenstein youngblood rtx on arm hardware.

To me, personally, 2022 is almost on par with 2017's software lineup. (Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3, Bayonetta 3). There's a lot of quantity and variety in the lineup.

But your enjoyment of the 2022 lineup depends on how much you like Pokémon. The year literally started with Pokémon Legends: Arceus and now it's basically ending with Pokémon Violet/Scarlet. Pokémon fans are really eating this year.

To me, personally, 2022 is almost on par with 2017's software lineup. (Splatoon, Xenoblade 3, Bayonetta 3). There's a lot of quantity and variety in the lineup.

But your enjoyment of the 2022 lineup depends on how much you like Pokémon. The year literally started with Pokémon Legends: Arceus and now it's basically ending with Pokémon Violet/Scarlet. Pokémon fans are really eating this year.
First party wise yes, there are some heavy hitters this year (especially Advance Wars, which I hope is a December release)

Third party wise 2022 fall feels a little incomplete, still behind 2019 or 2021. Full of JRPG's but western support seem to be dwindled. We need something like GTA Trilogy of last year.

To me, personally, 2022 is almost on par with 2017's software lineup. (Splatoon, Xenoblade 3, Bayonetta 3). There's a lot of quantity and variety in the lineup.

I didn't buy Pokémon Legends Arceus, personally didn't appeal to me that much, but I am planning on giving it a shot once I find it on sale. Scarlet/Violet however being open world and having co-op speaks a lot more to me! Excited to see how it plays out. Then again, not really the biggest Pokémon fan yet. My first one was Sword, which I didn't finish and Brilliant Diamond was my next which I again, didn't (yet) finish. Looking to do that one of these days though!

As for the 2022 line up, I really enjoyed what we got so far and what's coming. Excited to pick up Xenoblade Chronicles 3 when I finish playing XC2 and Torna, excited to get to play a Splatoon game from the beginning with all the Splatfest fun with Splatoon 3, Kirby was amazing and however meager the content ended up being, grateful that the Sports series and Mario Strikers got another shot!

And as for what's coming, Metroid Prime remaster I'm very excited for and I can't stop holding out hope Nintendo's giving us Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD this year.. That would really make my year!

To me, personally, 2022 is almost on par with 2017's software lineup. (Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3, Bayonetta 3). There's a lot of quantity and variety in the lineup.

Arceus was good.

Will Scarlet&Violet be good?

A very beautiful video, you are a good and important person in this community

First party wise yes, there are some heavy hitters this year (especially Advance Wars, which I hope is a December release)

Third party wise 2022 fall feels a little incomplete, still behind 2019 or 2021. Full of JRPG's but western support seem to be dwindled. We need something like GTA Trilogy of last year.
No Man's Sky and Sonic Frontiers fill in the GTA gap pretty nicely IMO

I didn't buy Pokémon Legends Arceus, personally didn't appeal to me that much, but I am planning on giving it a shot once I find it on sale. Scarlet/Violet however being open world and having co-op speaks a lot more to me! Excited to see how it plays out. Then again, not really the biggest Pokémon fan yet. My first one was Sword
Oh God, why?

If only EPD Tokyo were present too...

No Man's Sky and Sonic Frontiers fill in the GTA gap pretty nicely IMO
Eh, Sonic Frontiers fill last years Colors's gap, I think. NMS and GTA is not that much comparable as NMS is not a game for everyone, especially the mainstream crowd.

But I think we'll get a few more reveals at the next months Direct, like Batman Arkham or Prince of Persia. Not to mention confirmation for already announced games like Alan Wake or Kingdom Come.

Well, I agree with you as I have purchased all the first party titles this year.
I hope Metroid Prime Remastered doesn't get pushed out to next year.

This year im hard to motivate for games, since spring.
Kirby was great, Arzeug was good (with som flaws), im curious about the next pokemon. but other than that it was a rather boring year, and my main games for the rest are nier, pokemon and maybe bayonetta, depending on how it turns out.
And maybe Sonic. Other than that, 2017 was better for me. But i gete how people can feel that 2022 is also packed. And with silksong it still can get one of my best gaming years.

I'm only going to be fully satisfied if we can manage to squeeze in a late FE 2022 release. Couldn't care less for what, just has to be another mainline. Whether original or remake (tho I prefer a remake, a new original can wait :p)

If there's Pokemon games on the rumored GameBoy NSO service, then we'll really be feasting.

It's so weird looking at Nintendo's lineup, and knowing that objectively it's good, but it feels so odd all the same that the only first party games that I've been excited by and purchased/plan to purchase are Arceus, Bayonetta 3 and Pokemon Scarlet. I might still get Kirby, but yeah it's just super surreal to feel like I'm starving while everyone else has been feasting at this all you can eat buffet.

Thankfully 2023 should tide me over exclusively with Zelda alone, but just given my purchase history for this year is why I'm so keen to see what's on the docket for next year because I would be extremely shocked to see the Prime remaster slotted in for December.

Are they doing the DLC too, though? It's too much work, such Switch ports are always taken over by original devs, like Rocket league and Dead by Daylight.
At some point they did, but I think that's no longer the case. Maybe you're right, I dunno.

It's just that I find it hard to believe that the same EA that intentionally removed FUT functions from the Switch versions of FIFA so as to "not overwhelm players" would not put a game on it out of fear of not being able to offer content parity.

Check out my grandpa LIVE playing Breath of the Wild!!

Totally off-topic but maybe someone well-versed in Twitch could help me solve a mystery?

Normally we average 2-3 viewers at a time. Today it said earlier that we had a whopping 22. But when I clicked on the number, it only showed the name of one viewer. Then view count started jumping all over the place, from 15 to 6 to 14 and so on… now it’s at 2.

What is going on?? Lmao

That's true and a release date would most likely be omitted. I'm not totally confident in the game being in this direct. With Nintendo you never know, and new 3D Zelda games have never been in a regular Non E3 direct. But these are new times so here's hoping.

They also could be waiting to show off game when they show off new hardware.
That's because there's only been 1 new 3D Zelda game released ever since Directs started to be a thing. And that was BotW that didn't really have any reason to appear on non-E3 Directs when it had E3 2016 for itself, appeared on TGA twice, Switch commercial and Switch Presentation. And it did appear on a non-E3 Direct, the November 2015 one.

This time tho it has reason to appear on the September Direct - E3 didn't happen, Nintendo doesn't make TGA reveals like they did in 2014, 2016 and 2017, and there won't be a Switch Presentation. The game is launching in spring, and even if the worst possible scenario happened and it released in June, next E3 is way too late for a re-reveal of the game. February Direct would be the next logical occasion - and that's another non-E3 Direct!!

So September is still very likely to happen - it's their biggest H1 release, and September Directs either highlight or reveal games for the first half of the following year. I'm not completely sold on it finally happening, but I think it's pretty likely - just not as likely as MPR and FE Next, but still pretty likely.

I can definitely see a Zelda trailer at the GA this year too because BOTW won in 2017. If there is one thing Nintendo would probably show at this year's GA, it'll be a Zelda trailer imo.
I don't think so. If that was the case, last year would've been more likely as they had shown the game at E3 and hoping to release the game this year.
This year they're hoping for a spring 2023 release, which a new trailer only in December might be too late. And Nintendo's presence on TGA's has been softer each year - from story trailer and gameplay session of BotW in 2016/Bayo 1+2+3 and DLC shadowdrop in 2017 to Joker teaser for Smash in 2018, and mostly only third party exclusive content in 2019, 2020(sans Sephiroth) and 2021(which only got a commercial and MHR trailer).

September Direct is way more likely than TGA imo. If it's not there, we either get a Twitter trailer or wait until February.

Soo... Anybody think that the next Nvidia Lightspeed ports will be at the next Direct? What could they be? Half Life or MGS collection?
I think so, yes. Idk what Nvidia Lightspeed is sorry, but I think Half Life 1 and 2(maybe Alyx if it has a non-VR mode with Labor being optional?)

And as for what's coming, Metroid Prime remaster I'm very excited for and I can't stop holding out hope Nintendo's giving us Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD this year.. That would really make my year!

Totally. I'm so curious to see how everything shakes out with Nintendo's scheduling.

From one angle, Nintendo has made the Zelda IP an annual series. You always get something Zelda-related every year, even if it's just a spinoff like Hyrule Warriors or an HD remaster like Skyward Sword. Normally they don't skip a year for Zelda. Does this streak officially come to an end due to BOTW2's delay?

From another angle, this year is Metroid Prime's 20th anniversary. And Nintendo has the opportunity to ride the sales momentum of last year's Metroid Dread. Releasing Prime HD soon would also make the wait for Prime 4 less frustrating. Jeff Grubb seems very confident that this is releasing this year.

From another angle, Pokémon is the big November title. Would Nintendo let Pokémon share the same month with Metroid or Zelda remasters?

From another angle, we still don't know what's going on with Advance Wars. Did Everybody's 1-2-Switch get Batgirl'd? Is David Zaslav secretly running Nintendo? 😅

Totally. I'm so curious to see how everything shakes out with Nintendo's scheduling.

From one angle, Nintendo has made the Zelda IP an annual series. You always get something Zelda-related every year, even if it's just a spinoff like Hyrule Warriors or an HD remaster like Skyward Sword. Normally they don't skip a year for Zelda. You usually always get something.

From another angle, this year is Metroid Prime's 20th anniversary. And Nintendo has the opportunity to ride the sales momentum of last year's Metroid Dread. Releasing Prime HD soon would also make the wait for Prime 4 less frustrating.

From another angle, Pokémon is the big November title. Would Nintendo let Pokémon share the same month with Metroid or Zelda remasters?

From another angle, we still don't know what's going on with Advance Wars. Did Everybody's 1-2-Switch get Batgirl'd? Is David Zaslav secretly running Nintendo? 😅
Adding Drake into the equation makes everything even more confusing and hard to predict.
In any case there are many reasons to be reasonably hyped so I can’t wait for the next Direct!

Who said that Next Level Games should make a Rachet like game? Now I can’t stop thinking how great a Star Fox 3rd person game in that style would be. Mix in some on rails sections with the jet, and it would be great I think.

Splatoon has Ratchet DNA through and through. Since this is the end of the Trilogy, I'd love to see Next Level reinvent Splatoon, focusing on the singleplayer aspects.

Historically, there has been a September Direct every year, for the past six years. Just saying... 👀

In other news, I appreciate the kind comments that I've received on that video that I sent out. I hope you're all doing well.
We all love you Emily. Thanks for your kindness, hope you're doing well too! ❤️

Here's something interesting. There's apparently some strings in Nintendo Switch Sports that reference some Star Fox objects.

unknown.png

On first hand, it makes sense to assume something Star Fox related might come to Switch Sports at some point. However, they are only referenced once in the entire game.

The strings exist in the file Node.aidefn.byml, and resides in the directory [Logic\NodeDefinition\Node.aidefn.byml]. And this is the only file that contains them.

So why are these referenced then? Speculation wise, it's likely that these strings could be from internal prototyping relating to Nintendo's lunchpack engine.

Lunchpack is something Nintendo seems to be pushing a bit more. More games releasing thus far, including Switch Sports, use the engine.

And it's not uncommon for lunchpack games to contain assets from other projects/prototypes.

Mario Maker Wii U, one of the first games to use Lunchpack iirc, had old Splatoon 1 assets included on the disc.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars, even though it's just a compilation, used Lunchpack for it's menus. And for some reason includes references to Pikmin assets.

Sooooo yeah. Kinda interesting to see what Nintendo is doing with its Lunchpack engine.

EDIT: Credits to BombFalco. They're the ones that brought this up to me.

From one angle, Nintendo has made the Zelda IP an annual series. You always get something Zelda-related every year, even if it's just a spinoff like Hyrule Warriors or an HD remaster like Skyward Sword. Normally they don't skip a year for Zelda. Each year, you usually get something from Zelda (a spinoff, a remaster, a remake).

From another angle, this year is Metroid Prime's 20th anniversary. And Nintendo has the opportunity to ride the sales momentum of last year's Metroid Dread. Releasing Prime HD soon would also make the wait for Prime 4 less frustrating.

What surprised me most is that they moved the Mario Movie and BOTW2 into the same timeframe again, after delaying Zelda. I kinda thought they‘d pair the movie with a new game but now with Zelda in spring that would probably be too much.

Zelda is a annual series but when BOTW2 was delayed that to me means: no Zelda for this year. Would love to be wrong, but at this point, I don't expect it.

Kirby, Arceus, Xenoblade (and this one is my highlight), Triangle Strategy, FE Three Hopes... and soon there will be Splatoon, Bayonetta, mainline Pokémon, Harvestella, Nier, P5R, Mario+Rabbids, possibly Metroid...out of those, probably Splatoon and M+R are the only ones i'm not looking forward to. It's been a great year.

What surprised me most is that they moved the Mario Movie and BOTW2 into the same timeframe again, after delaying Zelda. I kinda thought they‘d pair the movie with a new game but now with Zelda in spring that would probably be too much.
To be honest we still don't know when will actually Zelda release, could be March (in pair with this FY), could be as late as June (as we saw with ARMS). It's anyone's guess at this point. But I still expect a EPD 10 2D Mario alongside the movie.

I'm not really a Pokémon fan but I loved the time I spent with Arceus, that game is really lovely and special, even tho I'm still very early on it.

Now, Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3 and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 are really my thing and I just can't wait for the Splatfest demo and the very first sale any of them enter!!

Also Warriors Three Hopes was a good surprise for me as I really loved Three Houses, if it enters sale I'll get it too! Or rent it, but i really want to live this story again.

Switch Sport's was a nice surprise too and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC is something I always take some minutes to play, I really love having new stuff for that game.

And I just can't wait to see Metroid Prime Remake, that has me hyped ever since the first leaks surfaced, and after finishing Dread and that being one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had I just can't wait to see new Samus love!

Also Persona 5 Royal and Nier Automata are coming in October and I'll definitely get those two eventually.

Future just looks as bright too, can't wait for the surprises that 2023 will have.

Historically, there has been a September Direct every year, for the past six years. Just saying... 👀

In other news, I appreciate the kind comments that I've received on that video that I sent out. I hope you're all doing well.
That video was really wholesome. Hope you're doing well Emily!!

I loved Kirby and I thoroughly enjoyed Arceus but even though I'm only 15 hours in, Xeno 3 is Nintendo's GOTY so far for me. Magical stuff, and that's coming from someone who likes XenoblaDE but isn't a gigantic JRPG guy. Live A Live and Xeno 3 offer sublime, unique experiences in this genre. July was a great month.

If only EPD Tokyo were present too...
Let's see if we get their blessings in 2023 😔

Odyssey is one of the best games of all time, it having no sequel on the Switch would be a disaster to me.

Moreso with BotW and Splatoon having sequels, Pokémon and Mario Party having many iterations and Mario Kart having a new game worthy DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom