• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is something wrong with me? The possibility of new hardware makes me super nervous and not excited. Nintendo has such good thing going with the Switch and it almost has everything I want, but I'm afraid there will be a lack of backward compatibility, there will be Switch "'''pro'''' exclusive games, etc.

I feel like we JUST got the OLED. With the hassle of any new hardware launch post-2020, I just have a lot of anxiety about what "new hardware" could mean for Nintendo.

I'm in a one-person bubble that doesn't care about the graphical performance of AAA games at all as long as they 'work,' and has never docked my Switch, so I may just be the extreme minority...
Yeah I feel this. Like it’s a very delicate position. Any other company would make the more powerful switch and call it a day.

I can’t 100% believe Nintendo can do that lol. I really really want it to be iterative. They’ve finally stumbled upon a concept that isn’t a gimmick but an actual innovative idea that deserves to stick around. Really hope they don’t make boneheaded decisions with the successor

I love the switch and hope this isn’t a case of “we don’t realize how good we have it right now” when all we have to complain about is performance.

Is something wrong with me? The possibility of new hardware makes me super nervous and not excited. Nintendo has such good thing going with the Switch and it almost has everything I want, but I'm afraid there will be a lack of backward compatibility, there will be Switch "'''pro'''' exclusive games, etc.

I feel like we JUST got the OLED. With the hassle of any new hardware launch post-2020, I just have a lot of anxiety about what "new hardware" could mean for Nintendo.

I'm in a one-person bubble that doesn't care about the graphical performance of AAA games at all as long as they 'work,' and has never docked my Switch, so I may just be the extreme minority...
I 100% feel this. To me it also seems like people are basically obsessed with "Switch Pro" even before 2017 Switch even released. But then, when it may release these people will not buy it anyway.

Yeah I feel this. Like it’s a very delicate position. Any other company would make the more powerful switch and call it a day.

I can’t 100% believe Nintendo can do that lol. I really really want it to be iterative. They’ve finally stumbled upon a concept that isn’t a gimmick but an actual innovative idea that deserves to stick around. Really hope they don’t make boneheaded decisions with the successor

I love the switch and hope this isn’t a case of “we don’t realize how good we have it right now” when all we have to complain about is performance.

I just hope Nintendo can find the balance between a "new console generation" and "console revision" that would give the performance-oriented fans what they want but doesn't completely box current Switch users out like a typical "new console generation" clean break.

Nintendo isn't gonna give up on one of their biggest install bases ever. They will do everything in their power to make sure the current switch supports almost everything the new hardware will support.

Which gets to another conversation about how it saddens me that personally, the switch is still so novel and flexible and used to be appreciated as such, yet that seems to have been swept under the rug the moment next gen started and gamers went back to power complaints

Was playing three hopes on the TV yesterday and my roommate came out to watch something, literally just went an pulled the switch out and continued right where I left off for another hour while we chilled.

i know we’ve been hearing anecdotes like this since 2017 but I don’t care, the whole concept is still super cool, sleek and useful to me and more important than any power increase. It hasn’t aged a day or became a “gimmick”

Nintendo isn't gonna give up on one of their biggest install bases ever. They will do everything in their power to make sure the current switch supports almost everything the new hardware will support.
Well, EPD games will always support base Switch and Switch Lite.

Which gets to another conversation about how it saddens me that personally, the switch is still so novel and flexible and used to be appreciated as such, yet that seems to have been swept under the rug the moment next gen started and gamers went back to power complaints

Was playing three hopes on the TV yesterday and my roommate came out to watch something, literally just went an pulled the switch out and continued right where I left off for another hour while we chilled.

i know we’ve been hearing anecdotes like this since 2017 but I don’t care, the whole concept is still super cool, sleek and useful to me and more important than any power increase. It hasn’t aged a day or became a “gimmick”
When the selling point is "a home console you can take with you on the go," power is actually at the center of the concept. From a technical standpoint, the gimmick comes down to "a handheld that is close enough to home consoles to get ports of console games," and that naturally hasn't been the case since 2020.

You know what I could see, if Metroid Prime remaster is indeed a thing coming this year, I could see a presentation like they did with that Bakugan game. So it will be a quick trailer followed by a mini treehouse showing off the upgrades they have made

You know what I could see, if Metroid Prime remaster is indeed a thing coming this year, I could see a presentation like they did with that Bakugan game. So it will be a quick trailer followed by a mini treehouse showing off the upgrades they have made

The irony of showing off Metroid Prime remaster like Bakugan would be delicious, I want it to happen because of that alone.

When the selling point is "a home console you can take with you on the go," power is actually at the center of the concept. From a technical standpoint, the gimmick comes down to "a handheld that is close enough to home consoles to get ports of console games," and that naturally hasn't been the case since 2020.
When that was the case in 2017-2019? In that period it got even less console ports and 3rd party support in general. Switch has been able to position itself as a home console but hasnt got almost any of the big AAA (or even AA) games both from Japan and West during all it’s lifespan it is not a recent thing.

Fami crowdfunding $40,000* to ask Nintendo direk wen

*400 FamiGold based on current exchange rates

Last edited:

You need to get outside of the gamer bubble, the Switch is still magical for 90% of it's user base. Don't let the vocal minority on sites like this and Era whining about lack of power or that steam deck "killed" Switch make you forget that.

When that was the case in 2017-2019? In that period it got even less console ports and 3rd party support in general. Switch has been able to position itself as a home console but hasnt got almost any of the big AAA (or even AA) games both from Japan and West during all it’s lifespan it is not a recent thing.
I mean, it got some ports. When the current generation leaves the Xbox One and PS4 behind, it will leave behind whatever nominal support the Switch had as well.

We're doing this already? I swear, this ride never ends.

What's the story behind 11-15 July?
Even if we had gotten a full direct this week like people wanted, the clock immediately resets and we start speculating the next direct.

I would not expect anything on July 11th for 100%, Iwata passed away on that day and I don't think Nintendo would be announcing something that day, and it's Monday too.

I’m just not excited about new hardware because it’s a terrible time for it. Everything is super expensive right now. Gas is crazy. Inflation is going up. On top of all of that, I’ve seen how hard it is to get a new Xbox or PS5. I want no part of that. I have little interest in a likely rather expensive console that plays mostly the same games and is impossible to acquire.

From a personal standpoint my wife and I had twins a few months ago. The Switch is probably it for me. There’s no way I’ll be able to justify a new console anytime soon.

I'm finally getting a 3060 Ti RTX. It will replace my aging 970 GTX who was starting to heat by playing Morrowind and Daggerfall Unity in 1080p (yes, you read that right). I know there's something fishy about my graphic card so I'll see if it's the same with my 3060 Ti (if so, then there's clearly a problem with my rig).

Anyway, I'll FINALLY be able to test this "DLSS" thing.

They made 10 Julys and thought "You know what would be cool? Five more of these."

And the rest is history.
Yes, that makes sense. Thank you.

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

Even if we had gotten a full direct this week like people wanted, the clock immediately resets and we start speculating the next direct.
Nintendo has consumed everyone.

JkWxoJ8.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, ladies and gentlemen, thank you so much for visiting with us this evening. Now I've traveled across half our forum to be here and to see about this thread. Now I daresay some of you might have heard some of the more extravagant rumors about what my plans are, so I just thought you'd like to hear it from me. This is the face -- it's no great mystery.

I'm a Switch Pro man, ladies and gentlemen. I have numerous concerns spread across the internet. I have many rumor wells flowing at many thousand posts per days. I like to think of myself as a Switch Pro man. And as a Switch Pro man I hope that you'll forgive just good old-fashioned plain posting. Now this work that we do is very much a family enterprise. I work side by side with my wonderful father @Skittzo. I think one or two of you might have met him already. I encourage my posters to bring their families as well. Of course it makes for an ever so much more rewarding life for them. Family means children; children means shitty meme game port begging. So wherever we set up camp, shitty meme game port begging is a necessity, and we're just so happy to take care of that. So let's build a wonderful Friday Night Funkin' thread on Famiboards. These children are the future that we strive for and so they should have the very best of shitty meme games.

Now something else, and please don't be insulted if I speak about this: copium. Let's talk about copium. Now to my mind, it's an abomination to consider that any person, adult or child, on this magnificent forum of ours should have to look upon a tank of copium as a luxury. We're going to dig rumor wells here. Rumor wells means speculation; speculation means confirmation. We're going to raise hopes here where before it just simply was impossible. You're going to have more hope than you know what to do with. Copium will be coming right out of your ears, ma'am.

New rumors, speculation, hopium, copium; these are just a few of the things we can offer you, and I assure you ladies and gentlemen, that if we do find rumors here, and I think there's a very good chance that we will, this community of yours will not only survive, it will flourish.

I'd be happy to answer any questions that you might have. Yes, @eli?

Well, that will be the first place that they lead. Thank you, eli. Anyone else?

Well, if anything comes up, I'm pretty easy to find and you just come and @ me. Thank you so much for your time. Good night.

LF6onXu.jpg

Welcome to this special speculation thread, available for a limited time only. As a recap, last month's saga ended quite humorously with the first Partner Showcase since 2020. However, this stunning conclusion has only left us waiting with bated breath for the main event that may or may not actually be coming. What will it look like? What form will it take? I have a few ideas in mind, but as of the time of publication nothing is concrete.

We are truly in a new era, and I am happy to be present for it. As we enter these uncharted waters, it may be best to review some common questions and practices.

QTdoFqH.png

Q: So do you guys seriously think x is happening?
A: It depends on what you mean by seriously. While we are at the forefront of entertaining insider hints and teases, I find it best not to take anything for granted.

Q: So I can @ these people and ask them to clarify things, right?
A: That depends on if you want to be cringe.

Q: Asking questions is cringe?
A: In this context, yes. Do not @ people asking for info, as it is cringe.

Q: What are these "insiders" good for, anyway?
A: They share information as they deem appropriate. All we can do is listen, react, and speculate.

Q: Raccoon, what if I think you're cringe?
A: Kill not the part of you that is cringe, kill that which cringes.

Q: So I can @ NateDrake?
A: No. That would be cringe.

NtujR9l.png

This section will be updated if we ever actually get any news, here realistically meaning "Tweets by Andy Robinson, Jeff Grubb, etc." Candidly, I do not expect it. All the same, what kind of ST doesn't have a news section?

I'm proud of you, son.

Was thinking of what a hypothetical 2nd half could look like with the games announced and rumoured

July - Xenoblade 3
August - TP/WW HD
September - Splatoon 3
October - Bayonetta 3, Mario and Rabbids Sparks of Hope
November - Metroid Prime Anniversary Edition, Pokemon S & V
December - Advance Wars Reboot Camp

Please will this first party direct into existence fami!

Was thinking of what a hypothetical 2nd half could look like with the games announced and rumoured

July - Xenoblade 3
August - TP/WW HD
September - Splatoon 3
October - Bayonetta 3, Mario and Rabbids Sparks of Hope
November - Metroid Prime Anniversary Edition, Pokemon S & V
December - Advance Wars Reboot Camp

Please will this first party direct into existence fami!

Absolute banger year. TP or Wind Waker on the Switch would be the cherry on top of maybe my favorite year on Switch.

I'm not feeling a new hardware announcement this year, OLED is too recent for that.

Also, I don't think that Advance Wars is coming this year.

I 100% feel this. To me it also seems like people are basically obsessed with "Switch Pro" even before 2017 Switch even released. But then, when it may release these people will not buy it anyway.

For me it's about third-party support, bringing certain existing games up a notch in performance, and allowing the next wave of first-party games to offer something new. That's why I'm personally excited for new hardware after more than 5 years with the original Switch.

I really hope it has BC and is a Switch 2, not some new concept. (Edit - I think a new console concept would be crazy and just cannot be the case)

Now seems a good moment. If Nintendo is planning an iPhone/iPad-like progression, they could release a new more powerful model and let people upgrade when they want, with most games working on both systems. Switch 1 is still going great. With current supply constraints, there's really no risk that a new model won't sell out. The only risk is in confusing consumers about which to buy and the differences between the two models.

I think the positioning of this thing will be akin to the New 3DS, but with more exclusive third party software and more dramatic enhancements to the shared software library.

I think the positioning of this thing will be akin to the New 3DS, but with more exclusive third party software and more dramatic enhancements to the shared software library.
I think that's what they originally wanted the new 3DS to be too. They probably wanted it to also last a bit longer than it managed to, I feel like they didn't expect the Switch to take off like it did.

The only thing important to me is backwards compatibility, and I feel like it has to be unless its a full blown new console, which I'm pretty sure no one sees happening at this stage.

The only thing important to me is backwards compatibility, and I feel like it has to be unless its a full blown new console, which I'm pretty sure no one sees happening at this stage.
Even a new console if possible they will make sure it has BC at least for the services, they already said years before Switch launch that they didnt want to have reset everything again.

I can already tell that this hype season is gonna have me like this the whole way through

200.gif

Posting for the first time in what should be a legendary thread.

I voted for the "No Direct This Month" option. I apologize for being the pessimistic one. But then, that means we can go crazy with speculation until September.

Where do the rumors/stories about a direct this close to the last partner direct come from? Are we genuinely expecting a direct within 2/3 weeks, or is this the usual NintendoHysteria™ ?

I think there's nothing wrong with you, because sometimes when there's a clear, obvious option for Nintendo, they look at it, say "nope" and walk in the other direction. They are sadly capable of making weird decisions after big wins. I'm hoping it isn't the case though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom