• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
6nkgj3.jpg
Maybe not hate, but they have put us Donkey Kong fans into time out for far too long. I guess they hate money.

If you think about it Nintendo just released 9 RPGs just today. Makes sense why no dierect

Even if it's a bit off-topic, I would like to explain why I'm not satisfied with the way Nintendo is doing things lately.
  • The Switch ecosystem needs to evolve. At this point, it's just a portable console that conects to the TV, not an "hybrid" console. It's just not powerful enough to have not only modern third party games or modern experiences for first party games, but basic stuff like voice chat, themes, music in the background, a better friend/account system...
  • Releasing games with cut content. As MKBHD says, never buy a tech product based on the promise of future software updates. Releasing a game like Mario Strikers or Switch Sports and having to wait months to have all the content is just a bad policy.
  • They simply don't care about the community. Kit and Krysta said that they were literally told that Directs are just for showing trailers, and NOT a celebration with the community, so fans can celebrate things if they want, but it's not Nintendo's problem. Not wanting to be part of the videogame community isn't good for anyone.

That's why I hope they release new hardware, because it's the first step to evolve. They are very confortable at the moment, and that's not necessarily a good thing for us consumers.

Even if it's a bit off-topic, I would like to explain why I'm not satisfied with the way Nintendo is doing things lately.
  • The Switch ecosystem needs to evolve. At this point, it's just a portable console that conects to the TV, not an "hybrid" console. It's just not powerful enough to have not only modern third party games or modern experiences for first party games, but basic stuff like voice chat, themes, music in the background, a better friend/account system...
  • Releasing games with cut content. As MKBHD says, never buy a tech product based on the promise of future software updates. Releasing a game like Mario Strikers or Switch Sports and having to wait months to have all the content is just a bad policy.
  • They simply don't care about the community. Kit and Krysta said that they were literally told that Directs are just for showing trailers, and NOT a celebration with the community, so fans can celebrate things if they want, but it's not Nintendo's problem. Not wanting to be part of the videogame community isn't good for anyone.

That's why I hope they release new hardware, because it's the first step to evolve. They are very confortable at the moment, and that's not necessarily a good thing for us consumers.
Well said. Nintendo is in the unprecedented position of power being integral to their USP ("a home console you can take with you on the go"), so a New 3DS style of refresh makes a lot of sense.

You make a great point about system features, too. While I've long been a supporter of the Switch's minimalist system interface, adding to it would definitely further support that sense of "a hone console on the go."

Power is not the problem here. Nintendo is just lazy.

I mean, if hardware isn't 2022, it's 2023. It's very clearly in the works. I'm agreed Switch needs to evolve in terms of services and functionality, and I've long wondered if, when you get second generation hardware, you also get second generation eShop, UI, and other things. The experience on the base Switch would be slower and worse, with things optimised for the more powerful hardware.

This doesn't bother me
This bothers me a little
This bothers me a lot, and actually explains why modern Directs aren't anywhere near as dear to me as the Iwata-era Directs. I miss "celebration" Nintendo, and it baffles me why they wouldn't see the value in trying to connect on a more personal level. Even if they're a massive corporation and it would probably be performative and surface-level at best (obviously the goal is still to get our money) but I bet a lot of people working there would love to be more a part of the community and it wouldn't be performative and surface-level for them.

I know I bring it up a lot but one of the things I love about how Sega has modernized is they literally have an employee-run Sonic livestream every two weeks where they chat with fans, play new and old games, answer questions, take fan requests, show off new merchandise, all sorts of stuff, and they became sort of the "face" of the Sonic brand because they're forming a community environment with the fans. I'd love to see Treehouse be given the chance to do things like this. I bet they'd knock it out of the park. Bring back Memeable Bill!!

Anyway back to shitposting, sorry 😅

It's very weird to see a post like that begin with "things Nintendo is doing lately" when they are all things Nintendo has been doing 14 years ago, 7 years ago and 25 years ago, respectively.
New hardware would not change most of your problems with them, specially the ones that aren't even related to Hardware (absolutely no idea where you got the notion that voice chat, themes, music and account system are related to the console's power). Nintendo is Nintendo, for better and many times for worse.

I’m fine by Directs not being for the community but they should do more fan events like they do in Japan. In Spain they are doing a Switch Sports tour around all the country (even small 10k towns!) this type of stuff is cool and I know they do it on multiple countries but they should expand on it and make it more than just for people to try demos

I'd like Directs to feel "Direct" again, but most prefer the modern format
Well, it could have not been more Direct now. I know that some people prefered Iwata's style and it was great but it would simply not work today, even if there is plenty more software, that way these Directs would have like 80 minutes and would feel boring. Am sure that if Iwata would still be with us today he would adopted new format too, everything changes and type of presentations is always evolving.

That's what I've been thinking as well, but out of the all Nintendo Japan big names, who would even be willing to put in the effort and speak English decently enough to do what Mr. Iwata used to did.
They can use subtitles like they already do, it shouldn’t be an issue is how a lot of people in non-English speaking countries consume directs

I actually love that Switch is recognisably a portable console because I always loved portable gaming. It's one reason why the software dynamic works so well for me. I've said it in the past, but I suspect that, for people who preferred Nintendo's home console offerings - especially N64 and GameCube - Switch likely still doesn't quite cut it. But if you liked Wii/DS era Nintendo, and if you enjoyed the GameBoy line, you likely find a lot of good stuff on Switch.

One thing I would say about software on Switch is that I really don't expect more powerful hardware to recognisably change the software dynamic. You could argue that, with Switch's success, more big publishers will take new hardware more seriously and perhaps invest more in it from day one than they did Switch. But I'd argue that, with team sizes and development cycles mushrooming, publishers are simply going to take the safest route, which means continuing to anchor the vast majority of their 'big' games to PlayStation, Xbox, and high-end PC; it's not just the commercial reality of where the audience is (perceived to be), but also the logistical reality of where their development and marketing expertise lies. Plus, there's the more nebulous area of culture; I simply think it's not in the culture of some publishers to try and support a Nintendo system with their biggest budget games; either they think that Nintendo's audience won't buy it, or they don't see the point in competing with Nintendo's own software, or both.

I think, in the medium term, if we get more big-budget software, it's going to come from the areas Switch is already strong in. It's going to come from Square Enix and Capcom, and it's going to come in the form of multi-platform family friendly brands like the LEGO series and Minecraft (assuming Microsoft keep that multi-platform in the future). It might perhaps come in the form of continued and new IP partnerships like Mario + Rabbids, but I don't expect the dynamic of Nintendo games, indies, Japanese games, middle-tier games and 'late ports' to shift in any radical way. Software pipelines and software markets are only partially defined by technology; they're also going to be defined by development logistics and the broader culture of the games industry. And the broader culture of the games industry - especially outside Japan - was to always treat handheld systems as second fiddle.

I’d like to see the puppets and other stuff back in some form, but just not during Directs. Skits are not the reason why I tune in.

I’m fine by Directs not being for the community but they should do more fan events like they do in Japan. In Spain they are doing a Switch Sports tour around all the country (even small 10k towns!) this type of stuff is cool and I know they do it on multiple countries but they should expand on it and make it more than just for people to try demos
Yeah the closest thing we have to "fan events" in the States is when people gather at the Nintendo NYC store to watch Directs and scream on camera

The awkward skids and long-play sessions with the occasional boring in-between really gave me a joyous connection with Nintendo as a brand, it gave them a face and a personality.

I have always been under the belief that Nintendo enjoyed their status by selling us "entertainment" not just games and hardware.

Miiverse, Wii Channels, Messages. All these ancient concepts gave Nintendo a very playful image which I liked to be part of community wise.

Nowadays Nintendo feels more like a videogame business to me, not distinguished from the other brands in presentation.
Their games are a different story, they still rock. But it's just that... Games.

I get it, but I don't like it. Nintendo and gimmicks should go hand in hand. (Kudos to the cardboard project though)

I think Internet and the fall of the paper medium is part of this 'problem' as well.

The past several years have shown how poor Nintendo's community engagement is, especially during the Switch era. I never seen a company that is downright as alien, hostile and aggressive towards grassroot community as much as they are. They only care about their mainstream brand image they've built over the years, so anything that doesn't directly benefit them or difficult to control is approached with draconic action.

Don't think it's terribly likely, but I wouldn't be that surprised if we got a Splatoon direct next week. I know that Xenoblade is a much bigger deal to Nintendo, but it wouldn't be unprecedented considering that the Xenoblade direct happened just 2 days before the launch of Three Hopes. Could see them doing it again.

Think it's more likely we get Pokemon first week of August and Splatoon the second week, though.

The past several years have shown how poor Nintendo's community engagement is, especially during the Switch era. I never seen a company that is downright as alien, hostile and aggressive towards grassroot community as much as they are. They only care about their mainstream brand image they've built over the years, so anything that doesn't directly benefit them or difficult to control is approached with draconic action.

Breaking News: Person on internet learns corporations are not their friend and care mostly about money

I’d like to see the puppets and other stuff back in some form, but just not during Directs. Skits are not the reason why I tune in.
How about this: Directs go back to being Directs and you can have some other format (spoiler: I think its name is Twitter)

I agree. The only I thing I’d add is that they are still kinda quirky and surprising and it still feels like they’re always doing something unexpected. That’s what I like about them. But yeah, the fan communication is not something they seem to care about and that’s a bummer.

How about this: Directs go back to being Directs and you can have some other format (spoiler: I think its name is Twitter)
Puppets and other shenaningans feel waaaaay more at home on Twitter which is already a circus, so no thanks :p

The old style of direct only worked because of the personality of people like Iwata and Reggie. They both had crazy charisma that could make even the dumbest of skits or ideas sound interesting. Can you imagine if anyone other then Iwata had tried to sell you on the Wii Vitality Sensor? It would have been absolutely miserable. You can't just throw people who don't have that charisma into those situations and have it work. The Bowser vs Doug Bowser skit was cute, but it confirmed that I never wanted to see DB presenting in a direct format ever again.

Modern directs focus on what matters most, the games. Look at the February direct with the volleyball match, think about how fucking boring that was, if it had been Reggie and Iwata it would have been incredible. Maybe Nintendo will hire or find someone in the company who has that charismatic spark, but I'd rather they not waste their time on it.

Takahashi and Koizumi playing volleyball was the best thing that's been in a Direct in five years but you aren't ready for that conversation

Modern directs focus on what matters most, the games. Look at the February direct with the volleyball match, think about how fucking boring that was, if it had been Reggie and Iwata it would have been incredible. Maybe Nintendo will hire or find someone in the company who has that charismatic spark, but I'd rather they not waste their time on it.
Lol

Puppets and other shenaningans feel waaaaay more at home on Twitter which is already a circus, so no thanks :p
That doesn't make any sense. Directs being no nonsense rapid fire advertisements is a relatively recent development.

It's very weird to see a post like that begin with "things Nintendo is doing lately" when they are all things Nintendo has been doing 14 years ago, 7 years ago and 25 years ago, respectively.
New hardware would not change most of your problems with them, specially the ones that aren't even related to Hardware (absolutely no idea where you got the notion that voice chat, themes, music and account system are related to the console's power). Nintendo is Nintendo, for better and many times for worse.
You’re right with the point that they’ve been doing these things for longer (7 years is still lately I’d say though), but some things have definitely gotten worse.

Yes, there were “content lacking” games in 2015 for example (Amiibo Festival, Power Tennis etc) but it’s definitely happening more and more frequently now and multiple years in a row. When a new Mario sports game gets announced, you can be sure that they’re doing a lot post-game content that many people wished was there in the first place. And that’s across their teams, as we saw with NLG.

Hardware was always something Nintendo was lacking behind, but we rarely saw 1st/2nd party titles that had performance issues as Age of Calamity for example. And for about 20 years now, Nintendo games were often running at 60 FPS while others didn’t. Now the tables are turning, as more and more Nintendo titles are at 30 and the other consoles are getting better. I hope Nintendo adapts to these new challenges that current times bring. Mobile chipsets are evolving so quickly, Nintendo should (have) react(ed) as fast as possible. Also, the GameCube did have some stellar 3rd party games or even exclusives by AAA studios, that’s not even remotely the case with the switch (and it’s not because of the sales).

And even the communication thing: I don’t know how it’s going on in other countries, but here in Germany I often heard that during the last few years, Nintendo did less and less for influencer’s and media people.

I still love their games of course. But I get that people are tired of this company because (as many others) they tend to be a LOT more pro-consumer when they need a new system to sell.

I actually love that Switch is recognisably a portable console because I always loved portable gaming. It's one reason why the software dynamic works so well for me. I've said it in the past, but I suspect that, for people who preferred Nintendo's home console offerings - especially N64 and GameCube - Switch likely still doesn't quite cut it. But if you liked Wii/DS era Nintendo, and if you enjoyed the GameBoy line, you likely find a lot of good stuff on Switch.

One thing I would say about software on Switch is that I really don't expect more powerful hardware to recognisably change the software dynamic. You could argue that, with Switch's success, more big publishers will take new hardware more seriously and perhaps invest more in it from day one than they did Switch. But I'd argue that, with team sizes and development cycles mushrooming, publishers are simply going to take the safest route, which means continuing to anchor the vast majority of their 'big' games to PlayStation, Xbox, and high-end PC; it's not just the commercial reality of where the audience is (perceived to be), but also the logistical reality of where their development and marketing expertise lies. Plus, there's the more nebulous area of culture; I simply think it's not in the culture of some publishers to try and support a Nintendo system with their biggest budget games; either they think that Nintendo's audience won't buy it, or they don't see the point in competing with Nintendo's own software, or both.

I think, in the medium term, if we get more big-budget software, it's going to come from the areas Switch is already strong in. It's going to come from Square Enix and Capcom, and it's going to come in the form of multi-platform family friendly brands like the LEGO series and Minecraft (assuming Microsoft keep that multi-platform in the future). It might perhaps come in the form of continued and new IP partnerships like Mario + Rabbids, but I don't expect the dynamic of Nintendo games, indies, Japanese games, middle-tier games and 'late ports' to shift in any radical way. Software pipelines and software markets are only partially defined by technology; they're also going to be defined by development logistics and the broader culture of the games industry. And the broader culture of the games industry - especially outside Japan - was to always treat handheld systems as second fiddle.
Agreed. I think this is a very healthy perspective to have, but I also suspect that a lot of folks will only recognise as much once Switch "2" is out and nothing changes dramatically, which eventually will lead to a lot of (avoidable) disappointment. People are getting too hung up on the power aspect/technology part in my opinion, but I think what you said about culture and development pipelines/approaches to production are what will actually have the biggest impact still. While certain shifts within the industry are to be expected, it won't change on the most fundamental level. Not without some (other) major factors at play.

I don’t want a relationship with Nintendo. They can be my entertainment daddy, and I their loyal pay pig. I’m good with that.

I do wish entertainment daddy would slide me some of that sweet, sweet Pikmin nectar a bit more often, but I think Nintendo gets off on withholding.

I'm a bit of two minds when it comes to Nintendo's barely-existent interactions with the community. On one hand, I'm a bit apprehensive about companies taking advantage of fans' passion for their products which is what all of this inevitably leads to. But I think that they could take a bit more of a benevolent approach to some of the stuff they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom