• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1200px-Gowy-icaro-prado.jpg
Loving this KI concept art

Thinking about it, I'm fine with Twitter drops, but I'm mostly just disappointed it means we still won't see Metroid Prime or Fire Emblem until at least September. If we had a first-party direct without those games the effect would have been the same.

I mean we’re going to get another General Direct this year.
Source - ass
Nintendo has usually done a fall direct, but they've also usually done a summer direct.
If they're announcing major games release dates in twitter drops we're not necessarily getting a full direct in the next few months.
Although of course I expect at least another partner showcase and Splatoon/Zelda directs.

I was floating the idea of no general direct for the rest of the year yesterday, and then today we get bayo 3 release date announced in a twitter drop.
Not looking so crazy now
The game is out on October 28th. What were they supposed to do, wait to announce it in a General Direct the first week of September? That's way too late.
Source - ass
Nintendo has usually done a fall direct, but they've also usually done a summer direct.
If they're announcing major games release dates in twitter drops we're not necessarily getting a full direct in the next few months.
Although of course I expect at least another partner showcase and Splatoon/Zelda directs.
They announce release dates via twitter drop all the time, even just a few weeks before a big direct (Yoshi is one that comes to mind right away). That means nothing.

And Nintendo usually does a summer direct... unless E3 isn't happening. And Nintendo usually does a fall direct due to TGS, which is still happening.

I don't get the sudden pessimism. A September Direct still makes all the sense in the world, nothing we've seen has changed that.

I was floating the idea of no general direct for the rest of the year yesterday, and then today we get bayo 3 release date announced in a twitter drop.
Not looking so crazy now
Pretty much everyone expected a Bayo 3 Twitter drop tester. Getting a release date on Twitter doesn’t really impact the chances of a September direct.

They announce release dates via twitter drop all the time, even just a few weeks before a big direct (Yoshi is one that comes to mind right away). That means nothing.
More than just Yoshi. Every recent Pokémon game, Kirby, Xenoblade 3, and Splatoon 3 were all dated on Twitter as well.

Unless Nintendo announces the release date alongside the reveal, they’re more likely to drop the date on Twitter than in a direct.

I don't get the sudden pessimism. A September Direct still makes all the sense in the world, nothing we've seen has changed that.
What "sudden" pessimism?
I've been predicting releases would slow down all year
Because I'm predicting a new console next year and you cant release a new console without making games for it.

In fact things have slowed down harder than I predicted. I still thought they'd do a summer direct, just with less new games shown. We're into July and we've seen nothing from next year at all. All we know about is BotW 2 which was not even supposed to come out next year, it got delayed.

In fact things have slowed down harder than I predicted.
I'm looking at a list of 2022 Switch releases both past and upcoming and I have a hard time understanding how you can say this year has been slow or that it's getting slower. It looks like an absolute banner year to me.

What "sudden" pessimism?
I've been predicting releases would slow down all year
Because I'm predicting a new console next year and you cant release a new console without making games for it.

In fact things have slowed down harder than I predicted. I still thought they'd do a summer direct, just with less new games shown. We're into July and we've seen nothing from next year at all. All we know about is BotW 2 which was not even supposed to come out next year, it got delayed.
Okay, maybe not "sudden", I just mean the general pessimism that seems to be popping up lately, like Nintendo missed one general direct and suddenly directs are done for the year. There's no evidence of that. And how are releases slowing down? There's a pretty damn good clip of games coming out the rest of the year, especially with Bayo 3 just confirmed today; this is one of the best years for games Switch has ever had. Unless you just mean that announcements have slowed down, and while that might be the case now, that's just due to them not doing a summer direct. Wait until TGS and get back to me then.

@choco/sam
I am referring to future releases, as in late 2022 and 2023.
After Splatoon we've got so little info on what's coming from Nintendo
This is very similar to what we saw from previous Nintendo consoles soon before the successor was announced, like the Wii U.
Because to launch a new console you need games for it, in year one, not coming later. So if Nintendo is planning to launch a console next year then you would expect them to go a bit silent on future plans, since those plans wont be on the switch.

Trimmed my script from 109 to 105 pages today, all while still making better use of each page and continuing to add valuable context, comedy, and character moments despite the trim. Feeling really good. Two more intense days to go until we turn this draft in.

After Splatoon we've got so little info on what's coming from Nintendo
Dude like half the day in this thread was people talking about how incredibly stacked October is. And we know the new Pokemon gen is gonna be hitting this holiday. And Nintendo doesn't usually reveal games waaay out, so the standard TGS-timed September Direct would be the perfect spot to reveal the holiday lineup.

You said things have already slowed way down. But summer is stacked. So you then say we don't know anything past Splatoon, but the months following Splatoon have a solid slate of games already revealed, with more likely to come.

With the exception of them jumping the gun on the reveals of Prime 4, Bayo 3, and BotW2 (all of which were likely supposed to have released by now but were pushed back hard due to covid), Nintendo very rarely reveals games a long while out. Not knowing their holiday plans by July is not out of the ordinary for them.

Dude like half the day in this thread was people talking about how incredibly stacked October is. And we know the new Pokemon gen is gonna be hitting this holiday. And Nintendo doesn't usually reveal games waaay out, so the standard TGS-timed September Direct would be the perfect spot to reveal the holiday lineup.

You said things have already slowed way down. But summer is stacked. So you then say we don't know anything past Splatoon, but the months following Splatoon have a solid slate of games already revealed, with more likely to come.

With the exception of them jumping the gun on the reveals of Prime 4, Bayo 3, and BotW2 (all of which were likely supposed to have released by now but were pushed back hard due to covid), Nintendo very rarely reveals games a long while out. Not knowing their holiday plans by July is not out of the ordinary for them.
Yeah all of this. Also, compare this H2 to 2019, which is often cited as extremely stacked with the “one game a month” thing:

2019 had:
July: FETH, August: Astral Chain, Sep: Link’s Awakening, October: Luigi’s Mansion 3, November: Pokemon

2022 has:

July: LiveALive and Xenoblade 3, August: (Kirby?), September: Splatoon 3, October: Bayo 3 and M+R2, November: Pokémon

That’s easily at least on par just as-is; doubling up in July and October more than makes up for no August (plus that’s probably Kirby, even if it’s small). If Metroid Prime and maybe Advance Wars make it too? That’s a banger H2, probably the best Switch H2 period especially with things like Nier, Persona, and Harvestella.

Yeah all of this. Also, compare this H2 to 2019, which is often cited as extremely stacked with the “one game a month” thing:

2019 had:
July: FETH, August: Astral Chain, Sep: Link’s Awakening, October: Luigi’s Mansion 3, November: Pokemon

2022 has:

July: LiveALive and Xenoblade 3, August: (Kirby?), September: Splatoon 3, October: Bayo 3 and M+R2, November: Pokémon

That’s easily at least on par just as-is; doubling up in July and October more than makes up for no August (plus that’s probably Kirby, even if it’s small). If Metroid Prime and maybe Advance Wars make it too? That’s a banger H2, probably the best Switch H2 period especially with things like Nier, Persona, and Harvestella.
FWIW, I don't think it's really fair to count two 3rd party exclusives for 2022 while leaving multiple games out for 2019, which also had Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Daemon X Machina, and Mario & Sonic. You also forgot Ring Fit Adventure, as well as Dragon Quest XI S, which was heavily marketed as a timed exclusive (albeit still a director's cut).

2022 looks to be a great year, no doubt, possibly the best one yet depending on how well the upcoming games deliver on expectations. But we gotta give fair credit to 2019 here.

No response because you're 100% right

That’s a banger H2, probably the best Switch H2 period especially with things like Nier, Persona, and Harvestella.
Yes yes and yes, with a side order of yes.

Until i hit them with a baseball bat in the head
If you have the ability to literally hit a whole country in the head with a baseball bat, let me know how that works.

I uh.. have a country in mind.

* eyeballs his own country *

No response because you're 100% right
dude thanks I'm gonna put this on my resume
"Was correct on a gaming forum"

FWIW, I don't think it's really fair to count two 3rd party exclusives for 2022 while leaving multiple games out for 2019, which also had Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Daemon X Machina, and Mario & Sonic. You also forgot Ring Fit Adventure, as well as Dragon Quest XI S, which was heavily marketed as a timed exclusive (albeit still a director's cut).

2022 looks to be a great year, no doubt, possibly the best one yet depending on how well the upcoming games deliver on expectations. But we gotta give fair credit to 2019 here.
I totally forgot about Ring Fit, doh. And DQ11S since I think that was Nintendo published? But so is LiveALive, unless I’m mistaken. You’re right I forgot some others too, though. Anyway, even including all of those for 2019, if you add the big third party stuff for H2 2022 that I mentioned I think it still holds true. Or at least very close, and Prime would put it over for sure, at least IMO.

Point is, both years are incredibly stacked and even if literally nothing else gets a date for the rest of 2022 I really don’t see how you can call it “slowing down”.

Don't mind me. Just reminiscing about how awesome this trailer was.

I always found funny how the reveal trailer focused on Skell and you don’t get one that can fly until the last third of the game.

“If you play 40 hours you can get this!”

Some of the best exploration in gaming pre BOTW/Elden Ring.

True, but at the same time you also get a story on the same level of Pokémon XY. The first 50 hours you are doing random tasks, then you learn about the bad guys and eliminate them in less than 10 hours.
Also not a single character has any development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom