• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo to me has always been the Zarathustra of video games. They always descent out of nowhere, they drop some stuff and then dip until they feel we are worthy.

Also god is dead and we killed it, this is why they keep making Xenoblade games.

We have six five more clock resets to go:

9AM EDT today
10AM EDT today
9AM EDT tomorrow
10AM EDT tomorrow
9AM EDT Thursday
10AM EDT Thursday (why reset the clock at the end of the week? it'll be over)

I've been thinking lately... that Nintendo is not communicating well with their fans. I'm sorry, but it's just like that. Nintendo doesn't give us anymore content or events to "create or extend the community", and it's sad to me tbh.
For example, Blizzard and Bethesda have their great enthusiastic communities, and apart from their big game announcements, they do their own events focused on the community (Blizzcon and Quakecon). I'm not asking for a "Nintendocon", but at least, doing physical events around the world is necessary. Instead, we're waiting for a Twitter drop, and that's it. Sorry, but even just general Directs are not enough. Interviews with developers, how the games were made, how the music was recorded... those things aren't done anymore. The Nintendo community exists because we, passionate fans, create it, but Nintendo isn't helping us and they don't care.
I needed to express these thoughts.
Literally dropped this 4 days ago

They've made more attempts to embrace the esports side of their games, doing things like the recent splatoon tournaments which they've hosted the finals on their main channel.

Before the global pandemic, they had events at their Nintendo world stores where large groups would go to watch directs live. That same global pandemic has impacted a lot of the events that Nintendo would go to like E3 where a lot of those interviews and more personal Nintendo moments would happen. I know we like to pretend the pandemic is over but a lot of people are still getting sick any many companies have basically confirmed they're "never going back to the old normal".

I think Nintendo having a partner showcase in June just broke people's minds and some people haven't recovered from the emotional and mental damage from it. You're not required to wait for a twitter drop of whatever information Nintendo plans to reveal.

Also I like the idea that Nintendo isn't "engaging with the community" by posting information about new video games on twitter, the social media platform that Nintendo has the largest following on.

I don't think a twitter drop or a parter mini direct generates more attention than Todd Howard with Xbox showing Starfield, or Sony showing to the world RE4 remake in a great third party State of Play.
Nintendo partner direct has got more views than the SoP that RE4R was revealed.

I've been thinking lately... that Nintendo is not communicating well with their fans. I'm sorry, but it's just like that. Nintendo doesn't give us anymore content or events to "create or extend the community", and it's sad to me tbh.
For example, Blizzard and Bethesda have their great enthusiastic communities, and apart from their big game announcements, they do their own events focused on the community (Blizzcon and Quakecon). I'm not asking for a "Nintendocon", but at least, doing physical events around the world is necessary. Instead, we're waiting for a Twitter drop, and that's it. Sorry, but even just general Directs are not enough. Interviews with developers, how the games were made, how the music was recorded... those things aren't done anymore. The Nintendo community exists because we, passionate fans, create it, but Nintendo isn't helping us and they don't care.
Yeah, I agree, even if I think you might be a bit hyperbolic here.

It's not that Nintendo is communicating poorly from a marketing sense - their continued massive success is testament to that - but, overall, it feels like being part of the 'Nintendo community' is in spite of Nintendo, and not because of them. Same kinda goes for Sony too. Both companies have stopped really caring about reaching out to their fans outside of designated 'marketing events.' Of course the pandemic is still ongoing so physical events are gonna be less prominent, but it's not like Nintendo's gonna bring stuff like the Nintendo World Championships back any day soon.

Though Sony is definitely better, and that's saying something lol. I mean, I can at least go and listen to, say, The Last of Us' soundtrack on Spotify if I want. If I want to listen to Mario Galaxy's Soundtrack I have to dig out my copy of the arbitrarily-limited Mario 3D All Stars and play it from there; and that's one of the rare situations where it is actually available. Sony also didn't DMCA stuff like Bloodborne PSX, whereas Nintendo DMCAs fan-games left and right.

Also I really don’t get this newfound stigma that’s surrounding PG?? They made 1 bad game (BF), which wasn’t even their fault in the first place, Square made the game into what it is lol
Square didn't force Platinum to make a GaaS title:

Square Enix producer Junichi Ehara tells me that this was far from a sudden change of heart on their [Platinum and Square Enix's] part: “From the very start of the project, it was decided that Babylon’s Fall would include the elements of high fantasy, hack-and-slash, and live service.”
That and, even outside of it's GaaS stuff, Babylon's Fall is just a really, really bad game. It looks inexplicably awful, its story is terrible, and its gameplay is incredibly lacklustre compared to other Platinum titles. None of that can be adequately attributed to Square Enix themselves, especially given that they even let the game be delayed for a while to help Platinum along.

Literally dropped this 4 days ago

Live a Live isn't a Nintendo game. It's a Square Enix game published by Nintendo in the West, and that video was almost definitely Square's idea instead of Nintendo's (especially since it's all in Japanese, the language of the region where SE themselves are publishing/marketing the game). In terms of actual Nintendo titles, their channel doesn't have a single interview in the past year.

If this is the alternative, I'd much rather have the fans build the community without Nintendo overseeing it. The buddy-buddy attitude companies like Blizzard or Bethesda assume just comes across to me as a very cynical PR tool. Worst of all, the two-way street of communication feeds the fanbase's sense of entitlement and the toxicity of the louder voices in the community. It also weaponizes the fanbase against critics of the company when allegations of misconduct/mismanagement surface.

I agree that Nintendo could do better, however. There's a middle point between both poles (for example and to name another Japanese company, I think Capcom has greatly improved their communication with fans recently). It's just, using Bethesda and Blizzard specifically as examples kinda undermines the whole point for me given their recent controversies.

Also I really don’t get this newfound stigma that’s surrounding PG?? They made 1 bad game (BF), which wasn’t even their fault to begin with, Square made the game into what it is lol
I think Bayonetta 2 was the last great game they made tbh, everything after that has been mediocre to bad.

I think Bayonetta 2 was the last great game they made tbh, everything after that has been mediocre to bad.
Whilst I don't really agree, it was definitely the last great game they made that didn't have at least some caveat:

Astral Chain: Incredible gameplay (though not without its mostly camera-related problems) but fairly lacklustre 'generic anime' story and the detective/cyber-world segments dragged on a bit too much. The 30fps cap also granted it a fairly sizeable advantage when it came to the type of setpieces they could do and the level of graphics they could achieve.

NieR: Automata: Incredible game overall, but it wasn't really a 'Platinum' game. It was fairly-decent Platinum combat made as a baseline to Yoko Taro's amazing creative direction. Pretty much all of its best moments are almost definitely there because of Taro, and not Platinum.

I highly doubt Bayo 3 is going to be actually bad, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't meet expectations. On a surface level, the generic Tokyo scenery, the slow-moving kaiju battles, the even-less-colourful-than-1 palette and Bayonetta's voice change all show as red flags to me.

No General in June + beautiful Twitter drops in July

The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done!

When I woke up I saw the whole thread talking about "Mugiwara" and I still have no idea who the fuck is that. Looks like I can't keep with this thread anymore.

Also I really don’t get this newfound stigma that’s surrounding PG?? They made 1 bad game (BF), which wasn’t even their fault to begin with, Square made the game into what it is lol
Babylon's Fall was legit a really bad game though in almost every respect, it's rare to have a studio with the pedigree of PG put out an actual stinker. It's not the first time they've done that though - The Legend of Korra and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan were bad too, and I hold that Star Fox Zero was really below average. Platinum can make absolute bangers, but it's not a guarantee.

Sony just had their most viewed event of the year with a Twitter Drop.

GoWR release date.
Twitter is infested with bot accounts. Twitter likes/views mean absolutely nothing. I'm sure Horizon Forbidden West put out insane numbers as well on Twitter, yet that game has fallen off the face of the earth so bad Sony won't even disclose how well(or poorly at this point) it sold. Especially for a company that loves patting themselves on the back in regards to sales figures.

A Direct generates infinitely more hype and sales than any PlayStation tweet ever will.

Pokemon fans literally starving for a new trailer when last one was a month ago. lol
As a Zelda fan I can only laugh

and cry

tvojdedo.gif

Twitter is infested with bot accounts. Twitter likes/views mean absolutely nothing. I'm sure Horizon Forbidden West put out insane numbers as well on Twitter, yet that game has fallen off the face of the earth so bad Sony won't even disclose how well(or poorly at this point) it sold. Especially for a company that loves patting themselves on the back in regards to sales figures.

A Direct generates infinitely more hype and sales than any PlayStation tweet ever will.
The youtube Video has 5.2 million views as well.

Tbh I rather have digital events for now because as much as some folks don't wanna hear it the pandemic is still here and its still deadly.

I don't need conventions and physical events.

The virus won't go anywhere, and our immunity won't get much better considering it's a respiratory disease, unfortunately. All we can do from now one is get reguarly vaccinated and wear a mask when we feel ill, or when we are worried to catch something.

Several fields have resumed in person events, and videogames are surprisingly late in that regard. Just in 2022, I've been to three international conferences with 500+ people, most without a mask, and none were super spreader event though I would have liked a vaccine mandate at least.

I don't know about video games, but in my field at least, online conferences can never replace physical event.

The virus won't go anywhere, and our immunity won't get much better considering it's a respiratory disease, unfortunately. All we can do from now one is get reguarly vaccinated and wear a mask when we feel ill, or when we are worried to catch something.

Several fields have resumed in person events, and videogames are surprisingly late in that regard. Just in 2022, I've been to three international conferences with 500+ people, most without a mask, and none were super spreader event though I would have liked a vaccine mandate at least.

I don't know about video games, but in my field at least, online conferences can never replace physical event.
Video games aren't imo important enough for big events when looking at the circumstances. These aren't starving artists for the most part but multi million and billion companies showing their latest products.

As for Indies I don't know what impact no physcial events have but I guess Nintendo for example still does Indie Worlds.

I fear some may have taken my previous posting to suggest that I'm over-invested in the hype cycle; I'd want to clarify that it's the lack of communication from Nintendo that's frustrating me overall. Can't even blame them when Covid hit the brakes hard globally; we have a goddamn easy plague to defeat and humanity is failing that miserably.

Twitter drops are not ideal, but at least it's something.

All that being said, if this week ends without consequence it might be as good a time as any for me to step away for a month or so to keep me sane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom