• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST|

When will the next general Direct (full or mini) be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
January - Pokemon Legends Arceus

February - Small e-shop title

March - Triangle Strategy, Kirby and the Forgotten Land

April - Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp

May - Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival 2

June - New IP, Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope

July - Splatoon 3, Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak

August - Bayonetta 3

September - Fire Emblem remake, Metroid Prime remake

October - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2

November - 2D Mario, casual focused title

December -

February, June, and September for general Nintendo Directs seems like the most obvious take, so I'm going for it.

Indie World showcases seem to be going for an April, August, and December release pattern, so that will probably continue too.

Now, for game specific Directs and Pokémon Presents? That's where we might not be able to predict what's up.

Since Arceus is coming out this month, I don't think we're getting a January Presents, but The Pokémon Company could very well surprise us. We don't have to worry about Animal Crossing Directs or Smash Bros. presentations, as those games are done receiving updates.

We could see a Splatoon 3 Direct, and depending on how much Fire Emblem news there is to share, we could potentially see another Fire Emblem Direct too.

It might also be prudent to look into which series are celebrating major anniversaries in 2022. That could help give us an idea of some surprise announcements.

The bottom line is that I need to spend less time online, not more. I have tried to deny this for a long time, but given how terrible I feel this morning I can no longer ignore what I need to do to feel safe.

I don’t have a log book but I remember you’ve been at this point more than once earlier. I was surprised seeing you as active as you’ve been after each of these announcements to take time off the internet.

It’s important to have real life missions. Internet is nice to escape, but if it’s your “real life” I guess you easily can feel lost since it never sleeps, it always moving and everything is exchangeable. If Raccoon doesn’t do a direct thread, someone else will, or it’s discussed elsewhere. I understand how unsatisfactory this feels, especially for someone who apparently is still in his youth looking for his purpose and place in life.
Establish that first, then internet is fun and you just ignore the stuff you don’t care or that might affect you negatively today.

It's funny, maybe since we know so much more about the coming year than we did in 2020 or that we also know that Directs are still a thing and not in a weird limbo like in 2021, but this year early February for a Direct feels like it's right around the corner rather than super far away. Plus we'll get Arceus news soon and other general news will start to trickle in starting around next week most likely anyway.

#TeamFebruary for me! I feel like they’ve tried to get on a February - June - September schedule during a normal year. Legends Arceus will carry January, but then it’s time for Nintendo to lay it all out for us!

I have an embarrassing announcement to make.

Over Christmas I felt very strongly that I needed to leave the internet. I felt that I was wasting my time, damaging my mental health, and making the quality of discourse here noticeably worse.

I ultimately set aside these feelings, attributing them to a passing offense. I vowed to commit to my plans to avoid embarrassment and regret.

However, having woken up this morning, the first of 2022, I felt nothing but regret.

I had at one point considered that this thread could be my redemption in this community, and that I could grow into a valuable member of it by sacrificing a great deal of time and, frankly, a non-negligible amount of money. However, given some comments I've read and agreed with, I no longer see this to be the case.

Here's the headline: "Direct Speculation League" and all multimedia content are cancelled. I again have to express my embarrassment that I overpromised yet again, but I woke up feeling like I'd trapped myself doing pointless work and deeply committing myself to a community in which I no longer feel happy.

I will continue to "run" the Direct thread, updating the OP with non-specific allusions to rumors as I had long ago, and I will keep track of #TeamDirect because of its relatively high engagement and how much easier it will be to run.

The bottom line is that I need to spend less time online, not more. I have tried to deny this for a long time, but given how terrible I feel this morning I can no longer ignore what I need to do to feel safe.

I'm very sorry to anyone who was interested.

Raccoon
they all sounded like interesting ideas, but you were definitely putting too much on your plate!

and you do provide valuable discourse (and humor!) and discussion

but don’t work yourself to death to feel like you’ve contributed something — you already are contributing something.

be here as much or as little as you need to be, we’ll miss you if you’re away but always support you.

I think (as someone who has struggled with this myself) you sometimes end up with an all or nothing mindset — you either have to overdo it or it doesn’t count. but we value your presence here organically. just be you, and be here, or don’t be here!

and this thread, too, is an organism. we’re all just swirling in the soup and doing some mycelium bullshit. guidance is good, but overstructuring can create a lot of problems for you and others

do what you can for you, try not to be as hard on yourself, and find what you enjoy both offline and here. follow what feels right and listen to your deeper intuition. things don’t need to be overengineered, and many things cannot be “changed” to make them better for you — your approach, however, can change

I know this probably all sounds like a lot of bullshit and I don’t think I phrased it very well, so sorry if this sounds like “bruh peace out and bliss your hot dog” or whatever

but as someone who has been a lot of dark and haunted places, who has lived through hell, who had a dark childhood and extremely present mortality and countless brushes with suicide (my own and others), who is doing math and gymnastics on my mental health and physical health constantly…

you are doing what you need for you

and we are happy to be in your thread even if it is changing from your original vision

and beneath the screaming and scraping there is a voice in you that knows how things make you feel and can tell the difference between what you’re enjoying and what you’re not

even when most things are a duality of good AND bad, enjoyable AND awful, worthwhile AND not… there are relative amounts and looking for the quiet in the brambles can help you feel out what’s right for you

cheers and happy 2022, we’re glad to be here and happy that you’ll do what you need to do

sincerely,
𝖘𝖚𝖘𝖜𝖆𝖛𝖊

#teamFeb

@Raccoon

Will read the thread OP and contribute accordingly when I have more time. Saw the big bold title so wanted to lock my month in now.

@Raccoon

As a non-Tory voter in the Tory hellhole that is modern Britain, this is literally my only chance in life to vote for the winning team. So I choose to vote for, and pledge allegiance to, #TeamFebruary.

Also great thread! I look forward to laughing at #TeamJanuary :)

Over Christmas I felt very strongly that I needed to leave the internet. I felt that I was wasting my time, damaging my mental health, and making the quality of discourse here noticeably worse.

I ultimately set aside these feelings, attributing them to a passing offense. I vowed to commit to my plans to avoid embarrassment and regret.

However, having woken up this morning, the first of 2022, I felt nothing but regret.

I had at one point considered that this thread could be my redemption in this community, and that I could grow into a valuable member of it by sacrificing a great deal of time and, frankly, a non-negligible amount of money. However, given some comments I've read and agreed with, I no longer see this to be the case.

Here's the headline: "Direct Speculation League" and all multimedia content are cancelled. I again have to express my embarrassment that I overpromised yet again, but I woke up feeling like I'd trapped myself doing pointless work and deeply committing myself to a community in which I no longer feel happy.

I will continue to "run" the Direct thread, updating the OP with non-specific allusions to rumors as I had long ago, and I will keep track of #TeamDirect because of its relatively high engagement and how much easier it will be to run.

Raccoon
❤️
you are and always have been a valuable member of this community.

@Raccoon I lurked the Nintendo thread back on Era and saw you struggled a lot with the same things you talk about now and I just wanted to tell you that I really respect your sincerity and the most important thing is that you respect yourself! I feel like you're a real hard worker and I hope you find a way to not be so hard on yourself, please don't forget all the little victories you make each and every day! Be who you want to be but don't kick yourself down for not being perfect, embrace the imperfect version! Also, I like your content a lot!

Raccoon

Firstly, #TeamJanuary @Raccoon – However unlikely it may be with Legends releasing and the chance for a singular focus direct... I'm going to stay dreaming.

Second– I'm glad you were able to course correct this so quickly and do what is best and needed for you. I'll admit, I was going to sit the league out and let it go through some iteration before joining in on the fun because it all seemed a little bit overwhelming– so I can't imagine what it felt like to be on the other side of it. I think that if we were to do something like that, it definitely needs to be run in some external platform so you aren't expected to be the "backend" for it. I dunno how fantasy leagues typically work, but I figure there's something out there that could be adapted? Anyhow, I loved the idea, and I love that this community is making efforts towards being more than a place for discussion. The monthly game challenges and raffles bring a smile to my face and make me proud to be an early member here. You were absolutely on the right track, just seems it was a little misguided in your reasons for feeling you had to do it. Perhaps the idea will come back some day with a few others to help get it off the ground!

Further, anecdotally I just wanted to say that I appreciate your presence here. We all go through ups and downs in life and with our relationship to this hobby we share. It can be hard to be a primary voice and be going through that sort of thing, but honestly I associate your name in threads with lightheartedness and an ability to keep the conversation rolling. Sure, there may be moments you're not proud of mixed in there, but I believe this is a community where we can handle moments like that productively and move forward together. You clearly care enough to help with that and strive for better than... the land we came from, and that is admirable.

Happy New Year you filthy animal ;)

Don't forget we also have Advance Wars in April, which should also can scratch turn based itches. Not to mention other third party TBS games, Shadowrun, Digimon Survive, rumored FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre remasters...

I think I can do without Fire Emblem this year. TBS is a well covered area in 2022.
I really hope those rumors of both Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics remasters comes true. Both games were mainstays on my PSP during my university years and were the first digital titles I bought for my Vita. I would love to play through them again on the Switch and introduce them to family members who were either not around when they released or didn't have a PSP/Vita themselves.

@Raccoon, you contributed more then enough with this thread alone; there's no need to push yourself so hard on any additional superfluous activities that takes too much of a demand on your time and mental health. It definitely seemed that you were piling too much on your plate in trying to keep track of everything and no one will blame you for wanting to ease back on that.

I think I'll just take the first winning bid as having won and the runner up will get the others

Though that doesn't seem like it'll be a problem
Probably not, no, this is just how my brain works lol

Edit: Just saw the update. That's fine. This was a huge undertaking for anyone who wasn't feeling that way.

#TeamFebruary @Raccoon

I could see a final Pokémon Presents this month right before Arceus is out. Could also be an opportunity to re-announce Detective Pikachu for Switch.

I'm still adding people to the proper roster. I'll check back in closer to the deadline and confirm with everyone

they all sounded like interesting ideas, but you were definitely putting too much on your plate!

and you do provide valuable discourse (and humor!) and discussion

but don’t work yourself to death to feel like you’ve contributed something — you already are contributing something.

be here as much or as little as you need to be, we’ll miss you if you’re away but always support you.

I think (as someone who has struggled with this myself) you sometimes end up with an all or nothing mindset — you either have to overdo it or it doesn’t count. but we value your presence here organically. just be you, and be here, or don’t be here!

and this thread, too, is an organism. we’re all just swirling in the soup and doing some mycelium bullshit. guidance is good, but overstructuring can create a lot of problems for you and others

do what you can for you, try not to be as hard on yourself, and find what you enjoy both offline and here. follow what feels right and listen to your deeper intuition. things don’t need to be overengineered, and many things cannot be “changed” to make them better for you — your approach, however, can change

I know this probably all sounds like a lot of bullshit and I don’t think I phrased it very well, so sorry if this sounds like “bruh peace out and bliss your hot dog” or whatever

but as someone who has been a lot of dark and haunted places, who has lived through hell, who had a dark childhood and extremely present mortality and countless brushes with suicide (my own and others), who is doing math and gymnastics on my mental health and physical health constantly…

you are doing what you need for you

and we are happy to be in your thread even if it is changing from your original vision

and beneath the screaming and scraping there is a voice in you that knows how things make you feel and can tell the difference between what you’re enjoying and what you’re not

even when most things are a duality of good AND bad, enjoyable AND awful, worthwhile AND not… there are relative amounts and looking for the quiet in the brambles can help you feel out what’s right for you

cheers and happy 2022, we’re glad to be here and happy that you’ll do what you need to do

sincerely,
𝖘𝖚𝖘𝖜𝖆𝖛𝖊
thanks for this sus

and thank you to everyone else who has expressed concern, I'm sorry that I've done this again

I wanna be TeamJanuary to get an early glimpse of 2022 line-up ASAP, but I think they probably will just focus on Arceus this month and we won't get a proper Direct until next month so... #TeamFebruary for me, sadly.

My big wish for this year is to see Xenoblade Next, the rumoured Metroid Prime Remake and a totally new Mario 2D game (not a NSMB).

Zelda BOTW2, Bayonetta 3 and Splatoon 3 are a given (crosses fingers).

@Raccoon take all the time you need. I totally understand where your coming from. Ive been part of many online communities over the years, and i found that over time i started to resent them, and get angry at people rather than just being happy to have a place to chat about video games. It led to the quality of my own discourse going down as i often entered threads with a chip on my shoulder. I dont want to do that here, and like you ive since left many online communities and taken a break. In fact fami was my first gaming forum since late 2019 when I left era. I know its tough, because honestly posting and reading these sites becomes an addiction, but limiting your time on message boards helps a ton, i know it helped my mental health immensely, plus youll find that your more positive when you do come on to chat.

Bit of a silver lining here (I try to reframe things to be more positive, for better or worse), there will now be only a select few of us who got to see the Direct Speculation Daily video where we watched Raccoon talk to us as he walked us through polishing an ST and forgot the names of PlayStation games, and in the far-flung Famifuture when those privileged few of us bring it up in hushed whispers around the campfire the n00bs will be like, "huh??"

So @Raccoon, with the way this went down, you've accidentally gifted this forum something you didn't even mean to:

Lore.

If a Fire Emblem is coming, I can't see Nintendo revealing it until E3 as they won't want to steal thunder from Triangle Strategy and Advance Wars. Same reason we haven't seen Xenoblade Chronicles 3 yet. Nintendo had SMTV to prioritise first.

My predictions, three directs as per usual. The early 2021 reveals Metroid Prime remastered, Xenoblade 3, Goldeneye 007 and maaaaaybe a new Mario. There's then a special Zelda direct revealing full details on that. E3 sees Fire Emblem revealed and a new Mario if not revealed in the previous direct plus focusing on new titles. Then the Autumn direct sees Donkey Kong and a new Next Level Games title as the big reveals

Alright, because I feel like being a contrarian, I'm going with Team January

I do not expect to win this fight

And what about BOTW2 Direct in like March? Is it too close to E3? It would be nice to have something before E3. In March they could be like "BOTW released 5 years ago so here is something."

And what about BOTW2 Direct in like March? Is it too close to E3? It would be nice to have something before E3. In March they could be like "BOTW released 5 years ago so here is something."
If I were Nintendo, I'd worry about a BotW2 Direct in March overshadowing the Spring games like Kirby and Triangle Strategy (god, that's even an awkward title to type). I'd hold off till E3 if the decision was mine.
Plus even if they did show off BotW2 pre-E3, you know what people will be screaming for when E3 does roll around? More BotW2. May as well wait and do one big hit when all eyes are impatiently on them.

If I were Nintendo, I'd worry about a BotW2 Direct in March overshadowing the Spring games like Kirby and Triangle Strategy (god, that's even an awkward title to type). I'd hold off till E3 if the decision was mine.
Plus even if they did show off BotW2 pre-E3, you know what people will be screaming for when E3 does roll around? More BotW2. May as well wait and do one big hit when all eyes are impatiently on them.
Wouldn't BOTW2 overshadow everything around it no matter when it's shown? Why is spring any worse than summer?

Happy 11th year of Nintendo Direct!

I'm still #TeamFebruary since I doubt they're going to let anything overshadow Arceus this month. But it's going to be worth the wait.

I'm definitely on #TeamFebruary as far as the next "mainline" Direct goes. I'm gonna say Feb. 9th. I think it'll reveal Xenoblade 3 and a NEW (not remake!) FE game, both (hopefully, as long as they aren't rushed or anything) for 2022.

As far as my 2022 release calendar prediction... well, here goes:

January: Pokemon Legends Arceus
February: At this point? Probably nothing, unless it's a Ring Fit situation where a casual game (likely stinky horse game in this case) is revealed like, a month before release. I dunno, maybe we could get a Twitter trailer drop of a Wii U port.
March: Triangle Strategy, Kirby and the Forgotten Land
April: Advance Wars remake(s)
May: Spatoon 3
June: Mario + Rabbids 2, some random spinoff of a Nintendo IP and/or stinky horse game if it isn't in February
July: Xenoblade 3
August: Bayonetta 3
September: Metroid Prime HD
October: New Fire Emblem
November: BotW2
December: nothing

September and October are kinda interchangable imo.

Wouldn't BOTW2 overshadow everything around it no matter when it's shown? Why is spring any worse than summer?
Because as far as we know (and some we assume) about their schedule so far, Spring has smaller, less-mainstream games that Nintendo will want eyes on. So far we're assuming Summer will have, what? Splatoon 3? That's not gonna need a signal boost, it's gonna be fine. Plus, again, people are gonna scream for BotW2 at E3 regardless, and if they show off a good chunk of the game in an early Direct, what's left for them to do at E3? Show even more? Or go ahead and let it skip E3, and watch people flip out. It seems to me the cleanest thing to do to juggle expectations and attention is a big E3 blowout for BotW2 and their other H2 games, and... * sigh * sorry, give H1 games room to breathe. I'm really sorry guys, I had to.

Granted, when I say "people" are gonna have their eyes taken off Kirby or "people" are gonna flip out over a BotW-less E3, I'm not talking about people like us. Obviously we're all buying Kirby no matter what and we already flip out with each passing month that doesn't show BotW2. I'm talking more about how I expect Nintendo to manage the larger market attention.
Holy shit yall, I'm actually engaging in Direct speculation talk instead of frantically shitposting! New year, new me! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I think Zelda makes the February Direct if Nintendo are 100% confident they're getting it out that calendar year. Not that its absence in February would spell trouble for the game; simply that, the promise of Zelda in 2022 provides a huge marketing opportunity for Nintendo, a little like promising new Smash early in 2018. Hell, the News Channel on Switch is already using Zelda as part of the focus for things to look forward to in 2022.

@Raccoon, noble friend, having read your threadmarked post, I wish you all the best in doing what works for your health and wellbeing. Coming to terms with my own health limitations in recent months and it does sometimes mean taking a big step back from things we might otherwise partake in.

A suggestion for the community at large who look to use this thread:

Might somebody have already, or be willing to make, a predictions image template, so that users in these threads can easily share their predictions in a fun bingo sheet format?

I'm definitely on #TeamFebruary as far as the next "mainline" Direct goes. I'm gonna say Feb. 9th. I think it'll reveal Xenoblade 3 and a NEW (not remake!) FE game, both (hopefully, as long as they aren't rushed or anything) for 2022.

As far as my 2022 release calendar prediction... well, here goes:

January: Pokemon Legends Arceus
February: At this point? Probably nothing, unless it's a Ring Fit situation where a casual game (likely stinky horse game in this case) is revealed like, a month before release. I dunno, maybe we could get a Twitter trailer drop of a Wii U port.
March: Triangle Strategy, Kirby and the Forgotten Land
April: Advance Wars remake(s)
May: Spatoon 3
June: Mario + Rabbids 2, some random spinoff of a Nintendo IP and/or stinky horse game if it isn't in February
July: Xenoblade 3
August: Bayonetta 3
September: Metroid Prime HD
October: New Fire Emblem
November: BotW2
December: nothing

September and October are kinda interchangable imo.

I don't think Mario+Rabbids would be so early in fhe year so put that in August, Bayonetta in September , Metroid Prime HD in October and scratch Fire Emblem. Idk, after it took Three Houses 1 1/2 years from announcement to release I don't believe in an FE game getting announced and released in the same year anymore.

I also would pur Xenoblade 3 in December rather than July. I think a 5 month marketing cycle (if we expect a February Direct, and we all should lol) is too little for an expansive game like that with lots to show off. The marketing cycle for Xenoblade 2 from announcement to release was 11 months. Xenoblade DE even had 8-9 months from announcement to release. There is no way they are only giving 5 months to Monolith Soft's first core team release since Xenoblade X (from what I hear the team was divided between helping with BOTW and developing Xenoblade 2 last time so...).

Otherwise, I an agree.

I think Zelda makes the February Direct if Nintendo are 100% confident they're getting it out that calendar year. Not that its absence in February would spell trouble for the game; simply that, the promise of Zelda in 2022 provides a huge marketing opportunity for Nintendo, a little like promising new Smash early in 2018. Hell, the News Channel on Switch is already using Zelda as part of the focus for things to look forward to in 2022.

@Raccoon, noble friend, having read your threadmarked post, I wish you all the best in doing what works for your health and wellbeing. Coming to terms with my own health limitations in recent months and it does sometimes mean taking a big step back from things we might otherwise partake in.

A suggestion for the community at large who look to use this thread:

Might somebody have already, or be willing to make, a predictions image template, so that users in these threads can easily share their predictions in a fun bingo sheet format?
This sounds plausible to me. I think the only guarantee is that BOTW2 will be at E3, since that seems like an absolute lock, even if it doesn't come out this year. The question is whether or not it'll make an appearance before that. If they're VERY sure it'll hit this year, then I could see it happening.

I also would pur Xenoblade 3 in December rather than July. I think a 5 month marketing cycle (if we expect a February Direct, and we all should lol) is too little for an expansive game like that with lots to show off. The marketing cycle for Xenoblade 2 from announcement to release was 11 months. Xenoblade DE even had 8-9 months from announcement to release. There is no way they are only giving 5 months to Monolith Soft's first core team release since Xenoblade X (from what I hear the team was divided between helping with BOTW and developing Xenoblade 2 last time so...).
But that "11 month marketing cycle" was just a trailer in January, radio silence until E3 in June, and more radio silence until the fall Direct... and then finally some proper marketing a few weeks before release IIRC... If they were releasing tidbits on twitter or an official website ala Smash Bros then I'd agree, but other than one or two tweets on the Japanese MonolithSoft account with that cute Nopon plushie they did nothing. Not exactly an engaging marketing cycle.

They definitely could do a shorter and better marketing campaign if they reveal the game closer to launch (when the OST is complete and west voice recording is near complete). That way the footage would be more polished (textures, lightning, user interface and menus, even cutscenes) with English voices, final arrangements of the music and, more importantly, without months of silence between updates.

Release every week some artwork of the main characters with their names, age, occupation... images of the first areas, some music tracks, a basic theme of the game with some developer background (like the Metroid Dread campaign) by Takahashi. That kind of marketing would hype the game more in four months than the "11 month cycle" they did with XC2 or XCDE that was a bit exasperating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom