• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST|

When will the next general Direct (full or mini) be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
At least for me, Being the Ricardos, House of Gucci, and Don't Look Up all scare me as potential heavyweights. Don't Look Up is for sure getting nominated for Picture and Original Screenplay - it has a ton of support in the industry and of course its message is widely admired. For me, it was way too smug in its supposed cleverness and about half an hour too long. And I loved The Big Short, but I think McKay really overswung here.

House of Gucci was a tonal and acting nightmare imo that never figured out what kind of movie it should be. Being the Ricardos was fine, but also not something I would personally champion by any stretch, but I think Kidman will win her 2nd Oscar for it.

To focus on these films when, IMO of course, we have Spencer, Pig, The Green Knight, Mass, Zola, No Time to Die for blockbuster representation, C'mon C'mon, The Last Duel, The Mitchells vs. The Machines, The Tragedy of Macbeth, and Passing is really unfortunate.

The ones that I'm okay with or thrilled about (in order) are:

The Power of the Dog
Coda
West Side Story
Dune
Licorice Pizza
Belfast
Tick Tick Boom
King Richard

How are you feeling about the Oscars this year?

West Side Story, Licorice Pizza and Belfast are the ones i really want to watch, haven't got any time to watch them though, with covid and all (Belfast apparently still hasn't been released here). I watched The French Dispatch and Last Night in Soho and they were both kinda disappointing.

Oh no, not her again…

WNvjnDIp_400x400.jpg

Having two very young kids means the only movies I've seen this year are Encanto and the Paw Patrol Movie.

I wouldn't be too upset with either winning best picture, not gonna lie.
Pawtastic!

But Direct hype everyone. I can feeeeel it.

It’s nice to see the chaos and excitement knowing that a Direct is incredibly likely. Less stress and more good vibes :)

It's the best when you see multiple posts that have "A moment ago" or "1 minute ago", the true sign of a board losing their shit. Love it.

Are the Fire Emblem and Xenoblade rumors based on anything in particular or just speculation?

Cuz Triangle Strategy, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade in the same year would be INSANE

Are the Fire Emblem and Xenoblade rumors based on anything in particular or just speculation?

Cuz Triangle Strategy, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade in the same year would be INSANE
As far as Fire Emblem is concerned it’s a brand new game. Nate seems 100000% sure it’s coming this year.

Xenoblade 3 had rumors it was supposed to come last year, but delayed to technicalities of the game. It looks like it might be announced now, but that’s not saying it will come this year

As far as Fire Emblem is concerned it’s a brand new game. Nate seems 100000% sure it’s coming this year.

Xenoblade 3 had rumors it was supposed to come last year, but delayed to technicalities of the game. It looks like it might be announced now, but that’s not saying it will come this year
Damn that's still pretty solid. As an RPG lover the Switch just keeps delivering.

SOMEBODY PLEASE SUMMARIZE AND HIGHLIGHT THE LAST 20 PAGES FOR ME

I'M FREAKIN' OUT
Like the past few Directs a sale has been announced in the eShop

• Big eShop sale announcement results in a Direct announcement like the last few times
  • Arkham Collection got leaked, it's real according to Nate
  • Stinky Horse game is 1-2 Switch sequel

Something I forgot.

Btw @NateDrake, do you know if the Arkham games are native or cloud versions?

Like the past few Directs a sale has been announced in the eShop

• Big eShop sale announcement results in a Direct announcement like the last few times
  • Arkham Collection got leaked, it's real according to Nate
  • Stinky Horse game is 1-2 Switch sequel

Something I forgot.

Btw @NateDrake, do you know if the Arkham games are native or cloud versions?
they wont sell cloud games in retail

oh anybody hoping for new info on pokemon bank update for the HD Diamond Pearl games?

My Wishlist/predictions:

• XC3
  • Fire Emblem
  • Bayo3
  • Arkham (with the addition of Gotham Knights Cloud version🤞🏻)
  • Remnant (ESRB rating in december)
  • Alan Wake (ESRB rating in october)

If i get 2 of these i’m more than happy.

Ok, I'm back with my second round of lists. This time we are looking at all first party and third party exclusive software that was announced and/or talked about in a Nintendo Direct in the Switch Era, starting in 2017.

All titles are in order of how they appeared in their respective Direct. Pre means this was before the game came out and post means after it came out.

7rjFcTu.png

phixNND.png

1bnmMUP.png

As always I appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Sorry if the color scheme was ugly. This was kind of done on the fly with Excel.

At least for me, Being the Ricardos, House of Gucci, and Don't Look Up all scare me as potential heavyweights. Don't Look Up is for sure getting nominated for Picture and Original Screenplay - it has a ton of support in the industry and of course its message is widely admired. For me, it was way too smug in its supposed cleverness and about half an hour too long. And I loved The Big Short, but I think McKay really overswung here.

House of Gucci was a tonal and acting nightmare imo that never figured out what kind of movie it should be. Being the Ricardos was fine, but also not something I would personally champion by any stretch, but I think Kidman will win her 2nd Oscar for it.

To focus on these films when, IMO of course, we have Spencer, Pig, The Green Knight, Mass, Zola, No Time to Die for blockbuster representation, C'mon C'mon, The Last Duel, The Mitchells vs. The Machines, The Tragedy of Macbeth, and Passing is really unfortunate.

The ones that I'm okay with or thrilled about (in order) are:

The Power of the Dog
Coda
West Side Story
Dune
Licorice Pizza
Belfast
Tick Tick Boom
King Richard

How are you feeling about the Oscars this year?
My thoughts are similar to yours.

"Don't Look Up" doesn't deserve to be nominated over Spencer, Pig, or The Green Knight. Good intentions and an admirable message doesn't necessarily translate into a great movie.

My Wishlist/predictions:

• XC3
  • Fire Emblem
  • Bayo3
  • Arkham (with the addition of Gotham Knights Cloud version🤞🏻)
  • Remnant (ESRB rating in december)
  • Alan Wake (ESRB rating in october)

If i get 2 of these i’m more than happy.
I feel like you’re definitely going to be happy lol

My thoughts are similar to yours.

"Don't Look Up" doesn't deserve to be nominated over Spencer, Pig, or The Green Knight. Good intentions and an admirable message doesn't necessarily translate into a great movie.

I always knew you had good taste!

Kirby and the Forgotten Land is one of those rare instances I've experienced when what has been a a pipe dream wish announcement for a Direct for YEARS finally happens.

The next time I'll experience that feeling again will be either Fire Emblem Dancing, Xenoblade Chronicles X2 or FromSofts Eternal Darkness reboot.

Kirby and the Forgotten Land is one of those rare instances I've experienced when what has been a a pipe dream wish announcement for a Direct for YEARS finally happens.

The next time I'll experience that feeling again will be either Fire Emblem Dancing, Xenoblade Chronicles X2 or FromSofts Eternal Darkness reboot.
srsly that game is a dream decades in the making for me

For real. Kirby and the Forgotten Land was one of the most exciting reveals for me because of what it meant for the series. And it just looks so good all around. I can’t wait to see more of it.

I think a thread in The Roost is in order... any takers?
I work crazy hours in the movie industry funny enough haha, so as long as it could be super simple and just be a general ST to post our thoughts, speculation, and commentary for the Oscars/awards race overall (noms tomorrow morning, awards in March) I could throw something together later today!

Everybody body I know is excited for Kirby and the Forgotten Land. These are people who’ve never played a Kirby game. That’s how big of an impression these trailers have made.

Direct hype feels like it's at its best on FamiBoards. All hype and goofing off, and sure we'll have some heated discussions no doubt, but there has been such a noticeable downward trend in toxicity and hostility since the old days. Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom