• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I haven’t seen it mentioned here but Star Wars Hunters (developed by Zynga, the same developer that was specifically called out by Bloomberg as having a “4K Switch dev kit” which they denied) got a release date for June 4th.

You aren't wrong BUT... couple of things you need to remember. The June meeting usually always followed E3 and E3 directs. The announcements were always there but often time we got follow up information as to when to expect the next communication OR why they went a certain route with hardware/software. This was always most interesting to me.

An E3 direct this year could be all about the switch (Or no direct at all) but the meeting could give us our first official acknowledgement of the switch 2 and when to expect more communication from Nintendo. Its the perfect place for a "mention" but do not expect anything more than that.
Frankly it is not the sort of place to mention hardware for the first time. Investors are pretty low on the list of people who need to be informed about that.

Well, very few people own 7974. Even fewer Americans. This isn't NTDOY and you can't buy $500 worth or $80,000 yen worth (napkin math) of 7974 on the TSE and expect to be let in. A lot of reps from banks/funds attend. That said, A teen did buy a couple grand worth of 7974 just to ask a question in the Q&A.
Interesting, thanks! Maybe a dumb question, but what’s 7974? I thought that was the number of shares but “term bought a couple grand worth of 7974” threw me off

One thing i hope is not going on with the software delay is that Nintendo is struggling with "next gen" development like they were doing the Wii U era which caused the droughts
That wasn’t the only reason for the droughts. At this point what exactly would “next gen” entail that would cause such drastic droughts that didn’t really happen with the Switch.

Nintendo did announce "NX" system is coming at the 2016 equivalent of May 7 meeting (it was close to end of April in 2016).

Why is it unlikely now for May 7 meeting, with June meeting being more likely?

Or did they not have an equivalent of "Annual Shareholder Meeting" back then in June 2016? I did have some troubles trying to find records of IR meetings going that far back (circa 2016).
Nintendo announced the NX was coming in March 2015 as part of the press conference (not investor meeting, that was in February) about their mobile venture, because they needed to reassure people they weren't exiting the dedicated video game business. What they announced in the April 2016 results briefing was just the March 2017 launch window (and that the then-untitled BotW would launch on NX). Since then Furukawa was asked about the NX announcement and said it was a special circumstance to be announced like it was with no details, and that they probably wouldn't do it again. So the question is, if the NX announcement hadn't been forced due to circumstance in 2015, is there any reason to expect they would have given that release date in 2016, instead of just using E3 (2015 or 2016) or whatever planned date they had to unveil the console in a normal and public-facing way?

I also think people forget when looking back on further historical "earnings announcements" that Nintendo didn't used to have Directs and social media, so press conferences were the way everything got announced, and the press conferences that necessarily came along with earnings briefings were candidates for that. These days, with Directs and other means available, there's pretty much been no reason to make that kind of announcement.

Edit: On a reread I see that your post was about someone trying to make a case for the difference between the May and June meetings, which isn't a point I was addressing, so sorry about that. But this is my response to somebody predicting either the May or June meetings for an announcement or "acknowledgement" or "mention." I think Nintendo has no reason to do any of those things at a meeting.

Last edited:
One thing i hope is not going on with the software delay is that Nintendo is struggling with "next gen" development like they were doing the Wii U era which caused the droughts
I don't think this is the case. To me it means they learned from the past and rather delay their system than releasing it without decent launch games.

Nintendo has had more than one incident where a new console has been delayed, nothing to get worked up about, the ns was originally scheduled for a Q4 2016 release and ended up being delayed to 2017.Nintendo's self-inflicted chaos in the wiiu generation stems mainly from the fact that their traditional portable/game console binary ecology no longer applies after HD development, which requires more manpower to be invested in, and retaining the 3DS business at this point really hampers the development of wiiu games.

Last edited:
Nintendo has had more than one incident where a new console has been delayed, nothing to get worked up abou
Actually there's a lot of things to get worked up about! We've had two cases where software was directly affected because of the next gen transition. The first was with the wii and Twilight Princess, which okay probably wasn't going to be affected much by going wii only, but Breath of the Wild was definitely affected.

tbh, I don't think Nintendo will ever stumble into the slump it had during the Wii U era again. That was a very unique era, and I think they've learned from that.

However, is it possible the Switch 2 may not be as successful as the Switch 1 out of the gate? Perhaps.

A Nintendo with their back against the wall is an innovative Nintendo. I'd love to see what they could do if they don't reach the same heights again. Might make Nintendo have a bit more drive.

Well, it's May 1st at my place. I wish everyone good luck in what they hope for a mention or announcement.
@redmutineer75 has it right in his reply above. I’ll expand on it.

This is the meeting where investors passionate about Nintendo actually physically GO to Kyoto Japan to attend. (Usually we go to the development center building on the 7th floor). We meet with other shareholders and Nintendo reps themselves. Ive personally attended most years since 2011.

As for this being “the mention” of switch 2, I just can’t imagine Furukawa able to face his most valuable investors and tell them “oh…so..we ain’t got shit to tell ya about the future”. It would be borderline dishonorable and that’s a big deal in Japan. They know. We know. That’s why it might be considered a slight if Nintendo doesn’t mention it by the June meeting.
Nintendo did announce "NX" system is coming at the 2016 equivalent of May 7 meeting (it was close to end of April in 2016).

Why is it unlikely now for May 7 meeting, with June meeting being more likely?

Or did they not have an equivalent of "Annual Shareholder Meeting" back then in June 2016? I did have some troubles trying to find records of IR meetings going that far back (circa 2016).

Both good arguments imo. I can see it in either being in next weeks meeting, and the annual meeting in June. So in that regard, I like to advise everybody not to be in all gloom and doom in it doesn't happen next week, and wait for June.

The pace of this thread is slowing down, we may reach page 3000 (and because of that, reveal) only in June.
It's the normal cycle. Theres News, a ton of activity in the thread, people are getting tired of discussing magnets or whatever, and the thread goes back to a few pages a day.

l

Some people here mentioned it, but having the patches be part of NSO, in my opinion seems like the most likely option.

Like with NSO you’ll get a monthly of highly upgraded first party games, like Botw and totk would be the first games to rollout.

Sadly there’s a high possibility of the subscription getting a price hike, like add patches and maybe Dreamcast and GameCube and call it a day and I can see most consumer not minding it.

Like I don’t know how long it takes to patch game for NG hardware, since Fallout 4 and last of us part 2 (director cut) probably took a year.

I see both scenarios occurring actually. If you want to upgrade a game individually, you can do that, or buy into a higher tier of NSO. I sense something beyond Expansion Pack, though what that could be called, I’m struggling to come up with.

Perhaps fittingly, they could call it the SuperFX tier because better graphics and performance. Expansion Pack could be strictly for adding legacy titles from retro systems, while SuperFX could be for improving graphics of Switch 1 games, at least as a starting point.

EDIT: Something I’ll add to this post though is what sort of value a hypothetical SuperFX add on would provide. And that’s because only as long as you have NSO, will your games look and play better than OG Switch. Otherwise, it'll run on legacy compatibility mode. So trying to sell that kind of upgrade when it isn’t even required to play Switch 1 titles (this is all based on assuming that Switch 1 support is 100% on day one), might be tricky for some.

Say to play TOTK and BOTW at 4k60 costs you individually 5 bucks per game, but you have no plans on upgrading any other Switch 1 game. Well, SuperFX add on wouldn’t be a good value at all, especially if such a tier would add say 30 bucks/year to your NSO subscription. Another reason why if a SuperFX tier is offered, upgrading games individually like the Wii to Wii U VC upgrade should still be provided.

EDIT 2: This leads me to believe for a hypothetical SuperFX Tier add on for NSO, it would also mean some of your NSO games such as those from N64 would get resolution, and even frame rate boosts. I feel it would eventually have to include more than simply Switch 1 game patches, and becomes an ecosystem for using the power of Drake to showcase how older games can look with better performance. Imagine for example if SuperFX Tier was also a way for Tech Demo type games like Quake RTX, or Portal RTX to be present on there, and not only Nintendo focused games. Just more things to think about.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm totally wrong but...

Next investor meeting Nintendo has to give there sales prediction for this fysical year, If they told the investors .... well we aren't releasing new hardware this fysical year (March 2025). Then Nintendo just has admitted that Switch 2 isnt coming out early next year, but in Summer / Fall 2025. Which ofc is a huge bummer, but if they need more time then so be it.

But if Nintendo says we arent predicting a huge upward in sales by March 2025. And they are still releasing Switch 2 by March 2025. Doesn't that mean Nintendo gets a handful lawsuits from Investors, because Nintendo knew that would have a upward in sales. Which is insanely important for investors because it higher values of devalues there investment in Nintendo.

And lying to investors is against the law if im correct... So next week should be the case if Switch 2 is releasing in March 2025. I dont expect a huge volume of console sales by massive drop the price for the regular Switch.

Frankly it is not the sort of place to mention hardware for the first time. Investors are pretty low on the list of people who need to be informed about that.

Lol who’s gonna tell em?

Correct me if I'm totally wrong but...

Next investor meeting Nintendo has to give there sales prediction for this fysical year, If they told the investors .... well we aren't releasing new hardware this fysical year (March 2025). Then Nintendo just has admitted that Switch 2 isnt coming out early next year, but in Summer / Fall 2025. Which ofc is a huge bummer, but if they need more time then so be it.

But if Nintendo says we arent predicting a huge upward in sales by March 2025. And they are still releasing Switch 2 by March 2025. Doesn't that mean Nintendo gets a handful lawsuits from Investors, because Nintendo knew that would have a upward in sales. Which is insanely important for investors because it higher values of devalues there investment in Nintendo.

And lying to investors is against the law if im correct... So next week should be the case if Switch 2 is releasing in March 2025. I dont expect a huge volume of console sales by massive drop the price for the regular Switch.

They and all companies hire and train PR word magicians to skirt that line. Let me try.

“This coming fiscal year we expect to sell 15 million hardware units”

Lol

Lol who’s gonna tell em?

They and all companies hire and train PR word magicians to skirt that line. Let me try.

Lol
This trick will not work this year. Both investors and players can see that this year’s plan is very bad. Moreover, there are also super games coming to market from our opponents next year. If there are no countermeasures or plans, the confidence of investors and players will be lost. Reduced to the lowest level, just like the WiiU back then.

Nintendo can't keep playing the same tricks forever.

Lol

If I were to be an investor, I would ask in what kind of sales does it contain. Because the Switch Oled, Switch Lite, OG Switch all drop in sales volume.
How does the sales of Switch stays consistent when the sales are actually dropping.... If Nintendo response with ... Oh well, we will do a price drop. But the actual reason is because of new hardware.

Thats basically lying, you can be sued for that... So yeah imo... Nintendo finally has there back against the wall. They have to admit something from a legal standpoint and not dropping into insanely low value price for this fysical year. So yeah I'm expecting basically Switch 2 ... Yes for March 2025 or No for March 2025.

Which I definitely hope Yes for March 2025. It should be interesting next week imo.

Huh? They are the first that need to know how a Company they invested in plans their future business. Everything what Nintendo does is made in mind that they are traded on the Stockmarket in some way.

Hello everyone. I am new here.:)
I've already read some interesting post here that the Switch 2 could reach about the performance of the PS4 Pro (in docked mode). If this is indeed the case, how credible would the Gamescom rumors of a Zelda BotW in 4K 60 FPS (presumably through DLSS) be? If this is possible, shouldn't it also be possible for all other first-party games?

Nintendo Mgmt's response to every investor question about the upcoming year:

giphy.gif

Nintendo announced the NX was coming in March 2015 as part of the press conference (not investor meeting, that was in February) about their mobile venture, because they needed to reassure people they weren't exiting the dedicated video game business. What they announced in the April 2016 results briefing was just the March 2017 launch window (and that the then-untitled BotW would launch on NX). Since then Furukawa was asked about the NX announcement and said it was a special circumstance to be announced like it was with no details, and that they probably wouldn't do it again. So the question is, if the NX announcement hadn't been forced due to circumstance in 2015, is there any reason to expect they would have given that release date in 2016, instead of just using E3 (2015 or 2016) or whatever planned date they had to unveil the console in a normal and public-facing way?

I also think people forget when looking back on further historical "earnings announcements" that Nintendo didn't used to have Directs and social media, so press conferences were the way everything got announced, and the press conferences that necessarily came along with earnings briefings were candidates for that. These days, with Directs and other means available, there's pretty much been no reason to make that kind of announcement.

Edit: On a reread I see that your post was about someone trying to make a case for the difference between the May and June meetings, which isn't a point I was addressing, so sorry about that. But this is my response to somebody predicting either the May or June meetings for an announcement or "acknowledgement" or "mention." I think Nintendo has no reason to do any of those things at a meeting.

To be clear, does Nintendo not have a duty to inform shareholders about new hardware coming in a fiscal year in the first investor meeting of that fiscal year? Can they just continue to keep them in the dark?

If the next system is this FY, they only have to give overall profit and revenue forecast for Nintendo as a whole, they don't need to give any hardware or software unit figures. Same as what happened last time: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/160427e.pdf
At that point NX was long since announced to investors and it was the meeting in April 2016 where March 2017 was announced!

Reporting on the financial expectations of a console before announcing it at all may not be impossible, but it doesn't seem particularly wise, it doesn't seem particularly useful to either party (Nintendo nor investors) and doesn't seem like it would placate anyone antsy about their next system - like investors.

I absolutely think Nintendo could go the meeting without mentioning it, but that wouldn't be the same as what happened last time! Last time they told investors nearly two years ahead of launch, then announced a launch window the following year, both, if I remember correctly, in the Spring.

I've already read some interesting post here that the Switch 2 could reach about the performance of the PS4 Pro (in docked mode). If this is indeed the case, how credible would the Gamescom rumors of a Zelda BotW in 4K 60 FPS (presumably through DLSS) be? If this is possible, shouldn't it also be possible for all other first-party games?
It's possible, in theory, with enough work, with any first party game on Switch, with DLSS. New games will likely be more demanding than their games on Switch, and may be sacrificing things here and there, like internal or output resolution.

It's possible, in theory, with enough work, with any first party game on Switch, with DLSS. New games will likely be more demanding than their games on Switch, and may be sacrificing things here and there, like internal or output resolution.
Wouldn't it make sense for Nintendo to continue using the existing engines and make improvements? Most of Nintendo's games already look good on a 4K TV. Couldn't Nintendo make 60 FPS a standard for all its games in this way?

Welcome. If I’m not misremembering the demo’s focus was more on fast, or almost instant, loading. Anyway, it should be possible given the sheer jumps in power. Probable? Maybe so

Wouldn't it make sense for Nintendo to continue using the existing engines and make improvements?
They might, save for some outsourced games running on like, Unreal Engine

Couldn't Nintendo make 60 FPS a standard for all its games in this way?
It’s a stylistic choice for some games. Ideally we’d get a toggle for switching between 60 fps and the “faithful to the original” 30 fps modes but Nintendo doesn’t really do that I think

if so people are going to want to know they can upgrade it to a next-gen version day 1. still something tells me if this game is a big deal it will harm the marketing to lead with a last-gen version. they've waited this long why drop it a few months before the new system?
I don't know who "people" are, but I think they just want Prime 4 to come out and be a really good game, and don't really care whether there's an upgrade or not, in their vast majority.

Welcome. If I’m not misremembering the demo’s focus was more on fast, or almost instant, loading. Anyway, it should be possible given the sheer jumps in power. Probable? Maybe so
Thank you.:)
I had also read rumors about this. However, it's hard for me to imagine a Zelda BotW with such loading times. I would of course like to play it that way.

They might, save for some outsourced games running on like, Unreal Engine
It’s a stylistic choice for some games. Ideally we’d get a toggle for switching between 60 fps and the “faithful to the original” 30 fps modes but Nintendo doesn’t really do that I think
Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I am not such an expert in this area. I just assumed that such an increase in performance and the ability to use DLSS could allow such updates.

If I were to be an investor, I would ask in what kind of sales does it contain. Because the Switch Oled, Switch Lite, OG Switch all drop in sales volume.
How does the sales of Switch stays consistent when the sales are actually dropping.... If Nintendo response with ... Oh well, we will do a price drop. But the actual reason is because of new hardware.

Thats basically lying, you can be sued for that... So yeah imo... Nintendo finally has there back against the wall. They have to admit something from a legal standpoint and not dropping into insanely low value price for this fysical year. So yeah I'm expecting basically Switch 2 ... Yes for March 2025 or No for March 2025.

Which I definitely hope Yes for March 2025. It should be interesting next week imo.
Eh, technically if they did lower the price of them then it wouldn't be lying.

Thank you.:)
I had also read rumors about this. However, it's hard for me to imagine a Zelda BotW with such loading times. I would of course like to play it that way.
The reason it was so fast it “felt instant” to those seeing it might’ve been Nintendo using new hardware on the chip to “read” and decompress whatever is needed (Switch 1 didn’t have this, also it was slow with even slower storage by more modern standards)

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I am not such an expert in this area. I just assumed that such an increase in performance and the ability to use DLSS could allow such updates.
Don’t worry!
It does on paper. I wouldn’t call it impossible. It’s more like, “how likely is it for Nintendo to enable this”, “how are they handling those upgrades”, etc

The reason it was so fast it “felt instant” to those seeing it might’ve been Nintendo using new hardware on the chip to “read” and decompress whatever is needed (Switch 1 didn’t have this, also it was slow with even slower storage by more modern standards)

Don’t worry!
It does on paper. I wouldn’t call it impossible. It’s more like, “how likely is it for Nintendo to enable this”, “how are they handling those upgrades”, etc
I just had the idea that Nintendo could release free updates on the Switch 2 and at the same time offer these games temporarily at a reduced price. That way, players who have already bought the games would be happy and players who haven't yet bought the games on the Switch could perhaps gain new interest. The revenue from the sales of new players could be used to cover the costs of developing the updates. Perhaps Nintendo could release such updates whenever there is a “gap” in the calendar.

You know, for some time now I've been thinking that I'd like it if some Nintendo games actually came to PC.
Obviously their games move consoles, so I'm not talking Mario or Zelda, but it's been disheartening see smaller titles not get attention, so I think it'd be sweet for them to also port various Rhythm Heavens and the like. Titltes that no one would buy a Nintendo console exclusively for, but that might both extend their reach and sell better if not confined to one system.

Doubtful that'll happen, and if it will they'll likely not sell on Steam because holy hell Nintendo doesn't like sales and would probably add Denuvo, but I sure would prefer it if we had some plan B for games that didn't sell that well.

I just had the idea that Nintendo could release free updates on the Switch 2 and at the same time offer these games temporarily at a reduced price. That way, players who have already bought the games would be happy and players who haven't yet bought the games on the Switch could perhaps gain new interest. The revenue from the sales of new players could be used to cover the costs of developing the updates. Perhaps Nintendo could release such updates whenever there is a “gap” in the calendar.
I can get behind that :). Not sure about their margins but it honestly sounds fine along with reprints coming with the patch already on the cartridge, or something

I can get behind that :). Not sure about their margins but it honestly sounds fine along with reprints coming with the patch already on the cartridge, or something
I do think margins is a somewhat short sighted way to look at graphical patches. They improve engagement, consumer confidence and retain valued customers. Their benefits aren't in the selling but the experience, and of course, the good PR, and driving units of the new console into the hands of avid fans of the first by assuring them that it will improve their existing library at no additional cost.

Even if we take a third party studio where almost none of this applies, the next gen patch for the Witcher 3 drove sales, and profit, increased interest in the game, series and studio, and was FANTASTIC PR.

"Free" next gen patches aren't done out of the goodness of a company's heart - they're good business, they "regreen" the "evergreen", and they establish a favourable relationship with customers.

You know, for some time now I've been thinking that I'd like it if some Nintendo games actually came to PC.
Obviously their games move consoles, so I'm not talking Mario or Zelda, but it's been disheartening see smaller titles not get attention, so I think it'd be sweet for them to also port various Rhythm Heavens and the like. Titltes that no one would buy a Nintendo console exclusively for, but that might both extend their reach and sell better if not confined to one system.

Doubtful that'll happen, and if it will they'll likely not sell on Steam because holy hell Nintendo doesn't like sales and would probably add Denuvo, but I sure would prefer it if we had some plan B for games that didn't sell that well.
Eh....
Nintendo really keeps it's development costs way down, so the amount of true flops that they have had is negligible. Even a game like ARMS sold around 3 million.

We can definitely count Nintendos flops in the Switch era with a single hand. There's really only a few games sold less than 1 million:
Warioware Move It
Everybody 1-2 Switch
Labo VR Kit
Labo Robot Kit
Tokyo Mirage Sessions Switch Port
Sushi Striker
Advance Wars

All of these games completely failed for very obvious reasons, and it's not like Nintendo is missing a player base like Xbox and Sony are.

The only way I see their games coming to other platforms, is Nintendo Switch Online coming to phones honestly. Use their back catalogue to drum up interest for current titles. But even then I really don't think Nintendo needs to. They have stuff like movies to expand their player base.

I do think margins is a somewhat short sighted way to look at graphical patches. They improve engagement, consumer confidence and retain valued customers. Their benefits aren't in the selling but the experience, and of course, the good PR, and driving units of the new console into the hands of avid fans of the first by assuring them that it will improve their existing library at no additional cost.

Even if we take a third party studio where almost none of this applies, the next gen patch for the Witcher 3 drove sales, and profit, increased interest in the game, series and studio, and was FANTASTIC PR.

"Free" next gen patches aren't done out of the goodness of a company's heart - they're good business, they "regreen" the "evergreen", and they establish a favourable relationship with customers.
Ah you’re right, I may have conflated title margins with actual console ones [?] It’s 6 and I was on no caffeine. :p

Something I’ve been meaning to ask around is, how far reaching do you, and the rest in this thread, think patches will go? Like, frame rate upgrades (30 –> 60, not just fewer frame drops from the improved speed) may or may not be on the table, but do we think there’s a higher chance they go 1440p or 4K?

What in your opinion made them come out during the April 2016 meeting with that March 2017 release date for NX? The console was acknowledged, they didn't plan to reveal it until October. So why at this point? Surely the fact that they were about to talk about the new FY influenced their decision to announce it releasing within that FY? Those two things were obviously connected. I'm not sure why it's such a wacky idea that they could be doing it again.

Ah you’re right, I may have conflated title margins with actual console ones [?] It’s 6 and I was on no caffeine. :p

Something I’ve been meaning to ask around is, how far reaching do you, and the rest in this thread, think patches will go? Like, frame rate upgrades (30 –> 60, not just fewer frame drops from the improved speed) may or may not be on the table, but do we think there’s a higher chance they go 1440p or 4K?
I think it varies game to game, studio to studio, and so on. Games like Breath of the Wild, if they get patched, 4K60. Tears of the Kingdom might struggle a little bit due to its higher complexity. If they do patches, I'd say stuff like Scarlet/Violet and Breath of the Wild would be the "gold standard", work put into the patches for a long time, hitting that 4K mark one way or another. On the other end I could see Odyssey or Wonder getting modest patches to bring up their render resolution with minimal tricks. Then games like Splatoon 2 getting absolutely nothing.

That was my thought behind my original question.

Example:
Zelda BotW runs in docked mode on the Switch with a 900p resolution at 30 FPS (please correct me if I am wrong here). An overclocked Switch can reach 720p at 60 FPS in handheld mode.

So I was thinking that maybe a patched version on the Switch 2 could be rendered at a native 1080p resolution at 60 FPS and upscaled to 4K by DLSS. If this was possible for Zelda BotW, then perhaps it should also be possible for games that already reach a 1080p resolution or 60 FPS.

That was my thought behind my original question.

Example:
Zelda BotW runs in docked mode on the Switch with a 900p resolution at 30 FPS (please correct me if I am wrong here). An overclocked Switch can reach 720p at 60 FPS in handheld mode.

So I was thinking that maybe a patched version on the Switch 2 could be rendered at a native 1080p resolution at 60 FPS and upscaled to 4K by DLSS. If this was possible for Zelda BotW, then perhaps it should also be possible for games that already reach a 1080p resolution or 60 FPS.
An overclocked Switch Oled can actually run games at 4K, with no DLSS. It can even run BotW, through emulation, at 4k. Its a bit of a slideshow, but it's possible.

It probably won't even need DLSS to run 4k 60.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom