• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

For the mental health of this forum..

Mention for investors next week regarding Switch NG existance is a possibility we can't discard.

But also we can also expect no mention at all.

Regardless, as it happened with all Switch models (OG, Lite, OLED), Nintendo must formally announce its next gen HW before production starts. Production will start between July to September at most.

MP4 coming for Switch 1 this year would be unusual but not totally improbable. if so people are going to want to know they can upgrade it to a next-gen version day 1. still something tells me if this game is a big deal it will harm the marketing to lead with a last-gen version. they've waited this long why drop it a few months before the new system?

Personally I don't like the idea of locking patches behind subscription services(not sure how that would work anyways, would the patches be deleted from your console once the subscription is cancelled). Like I assume that Switch 1 games would run at 1080p on handheld with a stable 30 FPS, and then there would be a 60 FPS cap on docked mode with more upscaling to 1440p. Even if it's profitable in theory, it feels anti-consumer(not that Nintendo is averse to that).

MP4 coming for Switch 1 this year would be unusual but not totally improbable. if so people are going to want to know they can upgrade it to a next-gen version day 1. still something tells me if this game is a big deal it will harm the marketing to lead with a last-gen version. they've waited this long why drop it a few months before the new system?

Maybe the new system is still a year away or the game won’t get a next gen upgrade.

Personally I don't like the idea of locking patches behind subscription services(not sure how that would work anyways, would the patches be deleted from your console once the subscription is cancelled). Like I assume that Switch 1 games would run at 1080p on handheld with a stable 30 FPS, and then there would be a 60 FPS cap on docked mode with more upscaling to 1440p. Even if it's profitable in theory, it feels anti-consumer(not that Nintendo is averse to that).
i don't think even having content like N64 VC locked behind a subscription service is a good idea. sure give access to them for subscribers but still allow people to purchase these titles individually. feels like a step backward tbh.

again Nintendo severely impacting the sales of a Metroid game, before the launch of a new console, they are again repeating, the mistake of releasing Metroid Samus Return close to Super Mario Odyssey release

(not sure how that would work anyways, would the patches be deleted from your console once the subscription is cancelled).
Purely technological, but Nintendo already pushes DLC behind a subscription. The booster course pass, the big Animal Crossing DLC, all available through the expansion pass. When the game starts, it does an online DRM check, and if it fails, it locks the content, but the data is still there, and the game still plays as if it were not installed. If the check succeeds, it's cached for a month and you don't need it again.

As for Prime 4 it feels like folks are making a daisy chain of assumptions I don't entirely buy. It's not a given that a "next gen version" exists, and it's not a given that if it does exist, it is more than Nintendo's previous cross-gen games - Wii U versus Switch for Breath of the Wild was not only "just" a resolution bump, Nintendo went out of their way to eliminate any Wii U features that couldn't carry over to Switch.

Bro what, its not got the atomic force of a truck slamming against each other 😭

Its a magnet. There is no way Nintendo's engineers have not thought of these concerns!!

Have these other companies gotten similar lawsuits? No? Then Nintendo isn't either. Like... What

with nothing between two magnets, they’ll slap together

but it doesn’t necessarily mean there’s enough force to sever a baby’s finger

like I can put my phone on its MagSafe charger and it slaps on there real good. Put my finger between? Eh, nothing.

Who suggested Nintendo Switch Blade a few days ago? lol.

My name tag for work has some pretty strong magnets (stupidly strong for the tiny piece of plastic it holds up), maybe half as strong as would be needed for joy-con 2.0, and there's not going to be any baby-finger-severing. Worst case scenario is a few kids get the skin on their fingers pinched and they're red and sore for half a day. That's less serious than getting caught in your pants zipper, and so far as I know YKK isn't bankrupted by lawsuits.

Wow, sorry.

I thought using babies' fingers being actually severed and complaining Nintendo doesnt care about kids would make it clear i was joking. Guess not!

That investors meeting is next week. And it's just tuesday (where I live). We can all look happy and hyped for what potentially come, but I imagine there'll be chaos all over again if they don't mention something.

@Shareholder Chad You mentioned we oughta be looking more to an investors thingie in June. Could you explain what the difference between the investors meeting in May and the one you mentioned of June is? Cause I didn't catch what it potentially was or meant to be.

That investors meeting is next week. And it's just tuesday (where I live). We can all look happy and hyped for what potentially come, but I imagine there'll be chaos all over again if they don't mention something.

@Shareholder Chad You mentioned we oughta be looking more to an investors thingie in June. Could you explain what the difference between the investors meeting in May and the one you mentioned of June is? Cause I didn't catch what it potentially was or meant to be.
June is when the annual meeting of the shareholders is. That would be a more significant event to announce new hardware than just their end-of-year earnings release.

For our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a successor to Nintendo Switch™ console. This new platform will launch in March 2025 globally. Please look forward to more details in the future.
For our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a new hardware that will be a second pillar to the Nintendo Switch™ console. This new platform will launch in March 2025 globally. Please look forward to more details in the future.

Note to self : Remind us to kill the Switch 1 as soon as the 2 is out.
Note to self 2 : Remind myself to delete this before tweeting.

My guess: during the investors meeting, they will give a very vague answer that does not say “no” to new hardware

Like “We are always considering potential solutions for new hardware. Please keep an eye on our official social media for more information in the future.”

Which is basically a yes

Wow, sorry.

I thought using babies' fingers being actually severed and complaining Nintendo doesnt care about kids would make it clear i was joking. Guess not!
Lol, I was going to reply to your severed baby fingers post initially, but I was on the fence about whether it was serious or sarcasm. Well done. 😁

@redmutineer75 has it right in his reply above. I’ll expand on it.

This is the meeting where investors passionate about Nintendo actually physically GO to Kyoto Japan to attend. (Usually we go to the development center building on the 7th floor). We meet with other shareholders and Nintendo reps themselves. Ive personally attended most years since 2011.

As for this being “the mention” of switch 2, I just can’t imagine Furukawa able to face his most valuable investors and tell them “oh…so..we ain’t got shit to tell ya about the future”. It would be borderline dishonorable and that’s a big deal in Japan. They know. We know. That’s why it might be considered a slight if Nintendo doesn’t mention it by the June meeting.

This is the meeting where investors passionate about Nintendo actually physically GO to Kyoto Japan to attend. (Usually we go to the development center building on the 7th floor). We meet with other shareholders and Nintendo reps themselves. Ive personally attended most years since 2011.

As for this being “the mention” of switch 2, I just can’t imagine Furukawa able to face his most valuable investors and tell them “oh…so..we ain’t got shit to tell ya about the future”. It would be borderline dishonorable and that’s a big deal in Japan. They know. We know. That’s why it might be considered a slight if Nintendo doesn’t mention it by the June meeting.
Ah, so the one in May is actually a report of what they've earned throughout the last fiscal year, and the June one is where they lay out their future plans, if I'm correct? Then yeah, it would make more sense to give it in June.

Although, with what happened last weekend with the rumors, could one assume Nintendo would give an answer in May aswell, to maintain the narrative? (If I say that correctly)

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot etc etc

My guess: during the investors meeting, they will give a very vague answer that does not say “no” to new hardware

Like “We are always considering potential solutions for new hardware. Please keep an eye on our official social media for more information in the future.”

Which is basically a yes
I think people are expecting them to actually just come out and "acknowledge" hardware unprompted, as part of the presentation materials. Which I think has essentially no chance of happening.

I agree that if we're talking about the Q&A instead, an answer like yours is at least possible, but I still think they'd more likely just go with "nothing to announce" or "not at a stage where we can discuss" again.

The only way I can see them giving even a cagey or vague answer (as opposed to a non-answer) is if someone asks them something related to the financial forecast, like "how can you justify your revenue being above zero dollars with no games or hardware announced" and they say "we are planning a variety of products and services that will be announced at the appropriate time."

I think people are expecting them to actually just come out and "acknowledge" hardware unprompted, as part of the presentation materials. Which I think has essentially no chance of happening.

I agree that if we're talking about the Q&A instead, an answer like yours is at least possible, but I still think they'd more likely just go with "nothing to announce" or "not at a stage where we can discuss" again.

The only way I can see them giving even a cagey or vague answer (as opposed to a non-answer) is if someone asks them something related to the financial forecast, like "how can you justify your revenue being above zero dollars with no games or hardware announced" and they say "we are planning a variety of products and services that will be announced at the appropriate time."

There’s just no benefit to going into the next few financial briefings with nothing unless they’re uncertain about the release date of the Switch 2.

The costs are not that large, but there’s no upside.

seems like most are so jaded at this point, that even a crumb of acknowledgment will be sufficient.

Some are tired of following bread crumbs and just want the acknowledgement that the next full course meal is actually coming soon.

...not me though! Backlog baby.

Wow, sorry.

I thought using babies' fingers being actually severed and complaining Nintendo doesnt care about kids would make it clear i was joking. Guess no
I wanted so badly for this to be over the top (it was) and aimed at all the nervous nellies going on about little children getting their fingers pinched by magnets, but I just couldn't be sure :(. Thanks for the positive confirmation 😊. There is hope for the future.

There’s just no benefit to going into the next few financial briefings with nothing unless they’re uncertain about the release date of the Switch 2.

The costs are not that large, but there’s no upside.
people have made that mistake many many times before. "nintendo has nothing", then Nintendo announces a whole ass slate of games. and that announcement usually comes in the summer

But it was shown as a Wii U game. If the new 3D Mario is a Switch 2 game, there's no reason to show it.
The point being made is that Nintendo wanting to hype up their major launch title is a pretty good reason to not wait until 2 months before launch to talk about the console

people have made that mistake many many times before. "nintendo has nothing", then Nintendo announces a whole ass slate of games. and that announcement usually comes in the summer
literally happened last year. It was so bad last year that people said Nintendo must be quiet because they are preparing to announce and release the Switch 2 haha

Okay cool so they should try to announce something soon.

I just don't see the benefit of refusing to talk about the Switch 2 next week if they're sure it's coming by March.

It just doesn't seem like there's any upside at all.

Purely technological, but Nintendo already pushes DLC behind a subscription. The booster course pass, the big Animal Crossing DLC, all available through the expansion pass. When the game starts, it does an online DRM check, and if it fails, it locks the content, but the data is still there, and the game still plays as if it were not installed. If the check succeeds, it's cached for a month and you don't need it again.

As for Prime 4 it feels like folks are making a daisy chain of assumptions I don't entirely buy. It's not a given that a "next gen version" exists, and it's not a given that if it does exist, it is more than Nintendo's previous cross-gen games - Wii U versus Switch for Breath of the Wild was not only "just" a resolution bump, Nintendo went out of their way to eliminate any Wii U features that couldn't carry over to Switch.
You sure it's a month? I know NSO apps are only 7 weeks (which I find extremely dumb)

I know it's silly but a part of me finds the fact that the delay happened so close to flashcart being announced a bit curious. Do you think that could have been part of it?

I know it's silly but a part of me finds the fact that the delay happened so close to flashcart being announced a bit curious. Do you think that could have been part of it?
has absolutely nothing to do with it

Do you believe Microsoft would or has Dev kits for the Switch 2? Because CoD to get it at on Launch
they definitely do. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the signing was getting ABK kits sooner than later

The June meeting in particular is usually bereft of actually interesting information even compared to the other ones. It's mainly something to follow for the entertainment value of the Q&A that tends to happen at it. It does not seem especially likely Nintendo views it as any sort of meaningful deadline on the matter of hardware.

June is when the annual meeting of the shareholders is. That would be a more significant event to announce new hardware than just their end-of-year earnings release.
so we should paying more attention to the anual Nintendo shareholders meeting in june istead of the end of the year earning/fiscal report next monday?

seems like most are so jaded at this point, that even a crumb of acknowledgment will be sufficient.
actually i tired of rumors, rumors and more rumors/leaks, i feeling exactly when Switch Pro was talked by everyone, so much rumors that i was getting annoyed by all this.

literally happened last year. It was so bad last year that people said Nintendo must be quiet because they are preparing to announce and release the Switch 2 haha
To be fair, before the June 2023 direct Nintendo did have a H2 game which was brand new and somewhat blockbuster (Pikmin 4). 3d Mario was also heavily rumored and we still had Mario Kart 8 DLC going, as well as Scarlet Violet's 2 Part DLC. This time we only have remasters which is Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario TTYD, and Endless Ocean. All for May and June.

Last edited:
When Nintendo was releasing tons of new games people said it should calm down and prepare for the next gen consoles!After Nintendo calmed down people then turned to it and said "Hey, I thought you were dead if you didn't move around a bit" 🤣

How do they manage capacity? I assume you have to own a minimum threshold of shares to attend, but even then - I’d guess that’s a lot of people. First come first serve? Lol

Ah, so the one in May is actually a report of what they've earned throughout the last fiscal year, and the June one is where they lay out their future plans, if I'm correct? Then yeah, it would make more sense to give it in June.

Although, with what happened last weekend with the rumors, could one assume Nintendo would give an answer in May aswell, to maintain the narrative? (If I say that correctly)

Well this is Nintendo. They will do whatever the hell they want. The "mention" at the May 7th briefing isn't impossible. I just find it unlikely.

How do they manage capacity? I assume you have to own a minimum threshold of shares to attend, but even then - I’d guess that’s a lot of people. First come first serve? Lol

Well, very few people own 7974. Even fewer Americans. This isn't NTDOY and you can't buy $500 worth or $80,000 yen worth (napkin math) of 7974 on the TSE and expect to be let in. A lot of reps from banks/funds attend. That said, A teen did buy a couple grand worth of 7974 just to ask a question in the Q&A.

The June meeting in particular is usually bereft of actually interesting information even compared to the other ones. It's mainly something to follow for the entertainment value of the Q&A that tends to happen at it. It does not seem especially likely Nintendo views it as any sort of meaningful deadline on the matter of hardware.

You aren't wrong BUT... couple of things you need to remember. The June meeting usually always followed E3 and E3 directs. The announcements were always there but often time we got follow up information as to when to expect the next communication OR why they went a certain route with hardware/software. This was always most interesting to me.

An E3 direct this year could be all about the switch (Or no direct at all) but the meeting could give us our first official acknowledgement of the switch 2 and when to expect more communication from Nintendo. Its the perfect place for a "mention" but do not expect anything more than that.

Well this is Nintendo. They will do whatever the hell they want. The "mention" at the May 7th briefing isn't impossible. I just find it unlikely.

Nintendo did announce "NX" system is coming at the 2016 equivalent of May 7 meeting (it was close to end of April in 2016).

Why is it unlikely now for May 7 meeting, with June meeting being more likely?

Or did they not have an equivalent of "Annual Shareholder Meeting" back then in June 2016? I did have some troubles trying to find records of IR meetings going that far back (circa 2016).

They will announce something next month or June only if the thing is releasing this year

If the 2025 delay is true then we won’t hear anything before September/October at the earliest

Nintendo did announce "NX" system is coming at the 2016 equivalent of May 7 meeting (it was close to end of April in 2016).

Why is it unlikely now for May 7 meeting, with June meeting being more likely?

Or did they not have an equivalent of "Annual Shareholder Meeting" back then in June 2016? I did have some troubles trying to find records of IR meetings going that far back (circa 2016).

Context of what we have heard from Nintendo and rumors. I can’t give you any real evidence obviously but it’s just my intuition that says June over May for the “mention”. And again, it could be the May meeting. Especially if they copy the NX timing of everything as you pointed out.

Late June has always been the annual shareholders meeting since I’ve been apart of it.

Story time: Kyoto is a scary scary place as an American going for the first time and not fully understanding the customs. It isn’t Tokyo. I got refused service for everything in Kyoto just because of my hair and body language. That’s when I learned it was more important to blend in and be 100% respectful rather than “try” to look rich. (IE: Posing because I wasn’t rich lol). I was young and stupid.

Edit: clarified first paragraph

Last edited:
Context of what we have heard from Nintendo and rumors. I can’t give you any real evidence obviously but it’s just my intuition that says June over May for the “mention”. And again, it could be the May meeting. Especially if they copy the NX timing of everything as you pointed out.

Late June has always been the annual shareholders meeting since I’ve been apart of it.

Story time: Kyoto is a scary scary place as an American going for the first time and not fully understanding the customs. It isn’t Tokyo. I got refused service for everything in Kyoto just because of my hair and body language. That’s when I learned it was more important to blend in and be 100% respectful rather than “try” to look rich. (IE: Posing because I wasn’t rich lol). I was young and stupid.

June has often been the date for new hardware reveal from Nintendo but also Sony and Microsoft so there is a chance

But with Summer Game Fest being early June maybe they would want to reveal the console before so 3rd parties can announce their Switch 2 ports on it

This only applies if the Switch 2 is releasing this year though

Also Sony will reveal their PS5 Pro in June so they might want to reveal Switch 2 before them

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom