• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be interesting to compare the rumours throughout the months to the final game, and I am still impressed that Sword/Shield managed to have a good record of keeping most unrevealed stuff secret (save for one anonymous post that mentioned Raboot and Inteleon (misspelt Intelleon)) until the physical game got leaked.

I wonder if footage of the starters will be revealed in the 24th April broadcast, since we never really seen footage of them until now, only the official art.

Thank you for reading.
Actually a huge chunk of SwSh got leaked in May but it didn't get picked up until later
wkvecpI.png

Actually a huge chunk of SwSh got leaked in May but it didn't get picked up until later
wkvecpI.png

I remember the day this happened. I still wonder why they were upset enough to leak this. I've only heard speculation.

wkvecpI.png
While this is true, the Affleck leak didn't really cover much that wasn't revealed before launch (besides the starter evos and Eternatus)

The majority of the Pokedex went unrevealed until the game itself was leaked.

I remain hopeful that rival schools theory is confirmed

For the uninitiated, there's a theory that the two games have two different professors who lead two rival schools, a traditional one in Scarlet and a progressive one in Violet. For most of the game the "enemy team" will be kids and staff from the rival school, with the ending likely involving putting aside their differences to defeat the true evil of the game

Region name
Rival(s)
Professor and the baddies
Legendaries
Regional rat and bird
Regional electric rodent
Some new pokémon who end up as the most popular ones

Ayyyy, let's go. Can't wait to see some Pokemon and NPCs. I wonder if we will get the gimmick of the game too.

Predictions:

Box Legends
Rival/Professor
2-4 early route pokemon
Maybe the gimmick, though I think they might save that for later so 50/50 on it

For the uninitiated, there's a theory that the two games have two different professors who lead two rival schools, a traditional one in Scarlet and a progressive one in Violet. For most of the game the "enemy team" will be kids and staff from the rival school, with the ending likely involving putting aside their differences to defeat the true evil of the game
I simultaneously love that idea and do not have high hopes that Game Freak would (have enough time to) put enough effort in to make the games differ from each other in more than a surface level way

I simultaneously love that idea and do not have high hopes that Game Freak would (have enough time to) put enough effort in to make the games differ from each other in more than a surface level way
Sword and Shield had two of the gyms have different champions, so I think there's potential to hammer home the difference. That said, I'd honestly be satisfied with a surface level difference if the rivalry itself is executed well

Gosh, this would be great

Is this going by how the logos look for each game? I remember some talk about one look old fashioned and one looking more futuristic.

Surprised they're not waiting for not-E3. Hopefully there's still some kind of Treehouse footage in the wings.

guess they don't want to get shown up by XC3 and BotW2

Sounds incredibly boring and predictable, it’s probably happening.

im still wondering why they're keeping the name of the region a secret when they were happy to release this info when gens 6, 7 and 8 were announced.

We’ve known it’s fully open world since they were announced.
I am still doubtful about how open this is going to be. Personally, I don't feel the original showing made that quite clear. Maybe they could go for something akin to Arceus, where you open areas of the map little by little. I have been craving for some ambition coming from the folks at Game Freak, so my ultimate wish is Breath of the Wild style "go wherever you want" gameplay.

The thing I'm looking forward the most is to see if the MCs still have that cursed doll face lol

I expect Arceus with gyms, trainer battles and more cities. Arceus catching system is the only thing that I'll miss.

listen, as a casual I am a vibes-based player

I get that jrpg poisoned gamers crave contrived plot points and absurdly high stakes, but to a vibes-based player like me "two rival schools reconcile to defeat a shared threat" has the makings of a great story with great vibes
Gotta learn to tone it down.

They really scheduled this for 9am EST. Looks like I'm skipping the beginning of work day sales call.

Arceus was the first Pokémon game to really hook me since Emerald. Can’t wait to see more tomorrow.

Also, as one of those freaks who mains Pokémon like Gardevoir, Lopunny, etc make Sprigatito sexy.

listen, as a casual I am a vibes-based player

I get that jrpg poisoned gamers crave contrived plot points and absurdly high stakes, but to a vibes-based player like me "two rival schools reconcile to defeat a shared threat" has the makings of a great story with great vibes
JRPGs are my favorite genre, but I'm totally with you. Pokemon is all about vibes. Therefore, music and region and character design are most important for me in Pokemon games.

Didn't really enjoy Pokémon Sword/Shield and worried I might have grown out of the series, Arceus pulled me back in and now seeing that Scarlet/Violet takes gameplay inspiration from Arceus makes me really happy. I'm really curious for what we'll see tomorrow.

Pokémon being about vibes I can stand behind. I will never forget gen 3 and its weather effects. Turn-based casual gameplay really enables taking in those surroundings better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom