• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyways....

What do you guys think the gyms should do this gen? Liner progression, groups of 2-3 you can try in any order, or scrapped for something like the Island Trials?

they should have gyms scales with different teams like how they did it in Pokémon origins, depending on how many badges you have the gym champion has a different team

At least the community can come together and agree that both Xenoblade 2 and Pokemon Scarlet/Violet have good cat characters

Nia.png

Sprigatito.png

One month ban for insulting users and derailing threads over a series of posts, repeated behaviour. - BozPaggs, Donnie, Sumio Mondo, Harina
Remind me to make a Twitter account so that I can stay up to date on news about horny.

You and Kano will get along well. He can DM you Gen Z Discord lingo and you can DM him NSFW art of his favourite Genshin characters to satisfy his micro-gherkin.

Last edited:
they should have gyms scales with different teams like how they did it in Pokémon origins, depending on how many badges you have the gym champion has a different team
Yeah that was too good to bring up just once and then not use again. Maybe if it's like a group of 3 in one main area and you get to the last gym of the 3, whoever you visit last has an extra Pokemon. It wouldn't be too hard to implement.

Yeah that was too good to bring up just once and then not use again. Maybe if it's like a group of 3 in one main area and you get to the last gym of the 3, whoever you visit last has an extra Pokemon. It wouldn't be too hard to implement.
i would LOVE to see some flexibility in gym battles. even if its just that gym leaders use 3,4,5,6 pokes depending on how many badges you have.

you could have 3 pokes for the first two battles, 4 for the next 2 etc. it adds up nicely and could be a good way to scalate, specially if they use the combat from Arceus where even a pokemon with far inferior level can wipe your team if you are not careful

Competitive rules is enough for me. Normalized levels and same number of pokemon. If everyone was 4v4, you'd only have to worry about scaling forms based on your badges

Can people stop piling on the argument and derailing the topic? It started with an ignorant, inflammatory statement, but the replies were equally childish. Be the bigger guy and move on.

Re: moves I also wish Pokemon maintains the freely modifiable moveset. A good compromise would be to have TMs hidden in the open world and you need to explore to add them to your set of teachable moves.

Re: gyms We talked about this a while back, but I definitely want to be able to tackle gyms in any order, with the leaders’ teams adjusting depending on how many badges you have. Maybe let you tackle gyms 1-4 however you want before letting you take on gyms 5-8 however you want.

you guys clearly don't realize who you're talking to. that's tetsuya takahashi of monolith soft, of course he thinks pokemon is infantile

you guys clearly don't realize who you're talking to. that's tetsuya takahashi of monolith soft, of course he thinks pokemon is infantile

I don't dislike Pokemon. I don't much care for Arceus, but I want to play Scarlet/Violet.

Last edited:
What kinds of regional variants do people want to see? I'm hoping for new Slowpoke and Natu variants! Another new Meowth would be great too.

I'd love a regional Gastly line (I know, I know - gen 1 have gotten the majority of the regional love). Haunter is my favourite Pokémon but I've always felt that the secondary Poison typing was a bit redundant on that line for some reason. I'd love something like Ghost/Fairy typing, but hopefully without trying to make them cutesy to be more Fairy-like.

Edit: Ooooh you know with Ghost/Fairy typing they could even lean into the whole theory that Gengar is Clefable's shadow, and give the regional Gengar a set of bedraggled looking Clefable wings on its back or something.

I'd love a regional Gastly line (I know, I know - gen 1 have gotten the majority of the regional love). Haunter is my favourite Pokémon but I've always felt that the secondary Poison typing was a bit redundant on that line for some reason. I'd love something like Ghost/Fairy typing, but hopefully without trying to make them cutesy to be more Fairy-like.

Edit: Ooooh you know with Ghost/Fairy typing they could even lean into the whole theory that Gengar is Clefable's shadow, and give the regional Gengar a set of bedraggled looking Clefable wings on its back or something.

This would be really neat to see! Would love if they leaned into the Gengar and Clefable connection more.

It would also be fun to see some new evolutions of old Pokemon. One I've always wanted to see is a "Porygon3", a branch evolution from Porygon2. It would be the "authorized" evolution, in comparison to the glitchy Porygon-Z.

What kinds of regional variants do people want to see? I'm hoping for new Slowpoke and Natu variants! Another new Meowth would be great too.
I would really like to see a Sableye regional variant. With more gold and silver instead of crystals... I see a crown and golden coins on it's back

actually braviary should have another regional variant or at least we need another eagle pokemon as i dont know if its too soon or they will just use the hisui braviary as a regional also for spain.
the iberic eagle and ALSO the osprey are two of the "spanish" animals that should be joining the bull and lynx as representatives from the country.
and of course the iberic pig, i really doubt they wont show some ham in the game.

im guessing that maybe orioco comes with new forms to share with the already flamenca one. there are many regional dances/clothes and it would be a nice touch to have

maybe we have regional variant for poochiena and swinub to show the boars (with much less hair) and wolfs of the country
and i could TOTALLY see a regional jinx evo to a fallera, like they did with mr. mime in galar.
they could have a regional gardevoir also to inherit the flamenco line instead of ballet

Last edited:

I've always thought that a water type Phanpy and Donphan would be cool. They could shoot water out of their trunks. Maybe give Donphan an evolution too. I don't know if they'd fit in these games or not, but why not?

i figure meowth is basically a lock for most mainline games as far as regional forms go. he's basically the second mascot pokemon of the anime. i know there isn't one in arceus, but a new form in scarlet/violet still wouldn't surprise me (and i'm all for it, meowth is cool)

gimme a new croagunk

i figure meowth is basically a lock for most mainline games as far as regional forms go. he's basically the second mascot pokemon of the anime. i know there isn't one in arceus, but a new form in scarlet/violet still wouldn't surprise me (and i'm all for it, meowth is cool)

gimme a new croagunk
They've already shown Kantonian Meowth.

Hoothoot and Noctowl!

I love Hoothoot, so this would be great! More new forms for Gen 2 Pokemon would make me really happy.

gimme a new croagunk

Yeah, Meowth is still pretty popular and iconic. It got new forms in Gen 7 and 8, so one for Gen 9 would make sense.

In real life, you can find all kinds of cats just hanging around. The same can be true of Pokemon! Kanto Meowths might be in one area, while a new Meowth could be found in others.

I would've been all on board for more Meowth variants tbh. Because it's a well known Pokémon with a lot of personality, I think it worked well as a cheeky mascot for the concept, even if it wasn't actually needed. It's just fun to imagine everyone having their own weird version of the weird cat.

Don't know if that tells us anything 100% yet, considering two forms of Sneasel were in Arceus
Specifically through an encounter method that is "breaking the rules" in a transparent fashion, though.

Need new evo for:

Arbok- maybe
Jyxn - mmmmm
Maccargo - nah
Girafarig - hmmmmm maybe
Dunsparce - they'll ruin it
Absol - no
Mawile - did you see the mega? nah.
Wishcash - totally
Tropius - maybe
Luvdisc - with you
Wormadan - hmmmm
Carnivine - nah
Sygyliph - totally
Woobat - eh
Bruxish - my god yes, if you can improve perfection i'm all in.
Crabrawler - does it need it?

Also, Give me Fire type Vanilluxe. - I'm listening

Last edited:
Need new evo for:

Arbok - Already has a evolution. If you even watched the who's that Pokémon segment they clearly state it'd Serviper.
Jyxn - I'm pretty sure this Pokémon will forever be in the it's black face and people will never remember it as anything else category. And it will stay there and nothing he touched again.
Maccargo - It's a fire snail. If the next stage is dragon then Hisuin Goodra has some competition
Girafarig - Been long overdue. Need a evolution with its tail taking over its body.
Dunsparce - yes and yes. But they need to double down on the fat snake aspect and just make it a Snorlax sized Dunsparce with a few minor changes to perfect the already near perfect design.
Absol - Absol Mega Evolution sort of stole any potential of idea evolutions. It's right there just add it to its natural evolution line.
Mawile - Same with Absol but make it a priority.
Wishcash - I don't see it.
Tropius - This guy definitely has a evolution somewhere in its future. My guess would be when we finally get a Amazon Rainforest region.
Luvdisc - So many Pokemon that should had filled this mons evolution. Honestly Luvdisc should just have regional forms if anything.
Wormadan: Regional forms
Carnivine: They should just go full Little Shop of Horrors and make it a giant plant monster.
Sygyliph: once scientists crack what this thing actually is. They should run far away in the other direction and hope this thing never evolves.
Woobat: would be nice to see it pull in the vampire aspect and make it a Pokémon that feeds off love.
Bruxish: Listen this Pokémon already haunts people's nightmares. We don't need a evolution to haunt everyone elses.
Crabrawler: honestly I don't know where else they can go with this one. It's evolution is already weird enough. I guess a split evolution of it doubling down on the boxing ring aspect and becoming a bipdel-human like fighter would be fun.

Also, Give me Fire type Vanilluxe: Make it poison type regional variant and have it become a gross and disgusting "ice cream" dish that is forever censored and blured out as part of its design. With the dex entry stating it chose this form to be kept from being eaten from predators.

Girafarig - Been long overdue. Need a evolution with its tail taking over its body.

Tail?????? Long neck people everywhere are alienated from their spirit animal!!!! Blashepmy of the highest order!!!! Hisssssssssss

Luvdisc - So many Pokemon that should had filled this mons evolution. Honestly Luvdisc should just have regional forms if anything.

Better leave greatness be. <3

Bruxish: Listen this Pokémon already haunts people's nightmares. We don't need a evolution to haunt everyone elses.

And by nightmares, you mean dreams. I understand the typo. We all love bruxish.

I just wish Meowth would walk in all fours again lol

Don't understand why they brought that to the games when even the anime makes it clear it's just that one Meowth that is bipedal

Don't understand why they brought that to the games when even the anime makes it clear it's just that one Meowth that is bipedal
maybe it was always intended to walk on its hind legs. this is the issue when you design for the screen first before making concept art. maybe they did want it to be a quadruped but just said fuck it when it stuck.

should have made concept art, bro

It's precisely because Team Rocket Meowth is so popular that they made all video game Meowths bipedal

theres also a kantonian meowth in the first 10 minutes of sun and moon, let me hope!!!

im okay with meowth being bipedal because hes obviously based on the lucky cat statues that usually sit up right

A good excuse to bring back Meowth's cut pre-evolution from gen 2!

images
I love pre-evolutions tbh. The designs are usually very simple and cute. There was a mention of Tropius. I wouldn't want an evolution of that Pokemon. But I think a pre-evolution would be nice. There are many Pokemon like Tropius who I think deserve a pre-evo. Then again, I think it would be even better for the pre-evo to also be a regional. Regionals have been the best thing for Pokemon I think since it's conception.

Speaking of evolutions and pre-evolutions—and this might be a bit off topic, but I don’t think we really have a general Pokémon thread here so I hope it’s fine to ask in this thread—does anyone here happen to know much about the internal “stage” value assigned to each Pokémon? @Serebii, perhaps?

And I’m not talking about evolutionary stage; this internal “stage” value is similar but different. Generally, it matches the evolutionary stage of a Pokémon—so Bulbasaur is stage 1, Ivysaur is stage 2, and Venusaur is stage 3—but it seems Legendary and Mythical Pokémon are always stage 3 from what I’ve seen, and there can be some variance when it comes to Pokémon with less than three stages in their evolutionary family. Pokémon with no evolution are often stage 2, it seems, and sometimes evolutions even share the same stage, like Farfetch’d and Sirfetch’d both being stage 2.

I first came across this in some Pokémon Sword/Shield data dumps (which I’ll link below) a few years back, and I’ve been fascinated with it ever since, but this information doesn’t seem to be cataloged in full anywhere, and none of the Pokémon reference sites like Bulbapedia or Serebii even make mention of it. Which I can understand, since it’s not really useful information for gameplay purposes or anything, but then neither are things like a Pokémon’s index number and yet stuff like that gets cataloged by some of these sites anyway.

Here are the only sources I can find that list this internal stage value, but unfortunately it’s only for the base game of Sword/Shield so I don’t have the information for all the other Pokémon that are excluded here (and I’ve had no luck finding more info over the past few years, either):

As for why I’m curious about this information, aside from it just being fascinating to me, I kind of want to use it as a way to determine which Poké Ball I should catch each Pokémon in by default; standard Poké Ball for stage 1, Great Ball for stage 2, and Ultra Ball for stage 3. But aside from my personal reasons for wanting this information, I think it’s just a neat piece of trivia that I’m surprised isn’t cataloged in full anywhere online yet, as far as I can tell.

In Sword/Shield's pre-release, was Meowth known to be in the game? I am not talking about the Galarian form that was leaked, but about the regular Meowth. It's interesting how at this point, the unrevealed Pokemon has a chance to have regional forms, so for example, I am not expecting Blissey to have one because it was shown in the trailer.

Thank you for reading.

In Sword/Shield's pre-release, was Meowth known to be in the game? I am not talking about the Galarian form that was leaked, but about the regular Meowth. It's interesting how at this point, the unrevealed Pokemon has a chance to have regional forms, so for example, I am not expecting Blissey to have one because it was shown in the trailer.

Thank you for reading.
Only via Gigantamax Meowth

Speaking of evolutions and pre-evolutions—and this might be a bit off topic, but I don’t think we really have a general Pokémon thread here so I hope it’s fine to ask in this thread—does anyone here happen to know much about the internal “stage” value assigned to each Pokémon? @Serebii, perhaps?

And I’m not talking about evolutionary stage; this internal “stage” value is similar but different. Generally, it matches the evolutionary stage of a Pokémon—so Bulbasaur is stage 1, Ivysaur is stage 2, and Venusaur is stage 3—but it seems Legendary and Mythical Pokémon are always stage 3 from what I’ve seen, and there can be some variance when it comes to Pokémon with less than three stages in their evolutionary family. Pokémon with no evolution are often stage 2, it seems, and sometimes evolutions even share the same stage, like Farfetch’d and Sirfetch’d both being stage 2.

I first came across this in some Pokémon Sword/Shield data dumps (which I’ll link below) a few years back, and I’ve been fascinated with it ever since, but this information doesn’t seem to be cataloged in full anywhere, and none of the Pokémon reference sites like Bulbapedia or Serebii even make mention of it. Which I can understand, since it’s not really useful information for gameplay purposes or anything, but then neither are things like a Pokémon’s index number and yet stuff like that gets cataloged by some of these sites anyway.

Here are the only sources I can find that list this internal stage value, but unfortunately it’s only for the base game of Sword/Shield so I don’t have the information for all the other Pokémon that are excluded here (and I’ve had no luck finding more info over the past few years, either):

As for why I’m curious about this information, aside from it just being fascinating to me, I kind of want to use it as a way to determine which Poké Ball I should catch each Pokémon in by default; standard Poké Ball for stage 1, Great Ball for stage 2, and Ultra Ball for stage 3. But aside from my personal reasons for wanting this information, I think it’s just a neat piece of trivia that I’m surprised isn’t cataloged in full anywhere online yet, as far as I can tell.

It's just a byproduct of the evolution data really. It's not something that's ever used for anything.

Thank you for reading.
I think Kantoan meowth was obtainable without trading, but it was through an in-game trade. it's not catchable in the wild. the meowth running around in the field here pretty much confirms that there's no regional form. unless they decide to have both, but we won't know that until they show it

I think Kantoan meowth was obtainable without trading, but it was through an in-game trade. it's not catchable in the wild. the meowth running around in the field here pretty much confirms that there's no regional form. unless they decide to have both, but we won't know that until they show it
I wouldn't mind if they transitioned from there always being a new meowth form to just giving a cat pokemon a new form every gen, Purugly, Liepard and Delcatty could all use the love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom