• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are people in this thread down to post/laugh at fake leaks? Or are we keeping it official stuff only?

There was this one today that immediately got debunked on Twitter:
FNSErg0WYAoiAAR
How did it get debunked?

Are people in this thread down to post/laugh at fake leaks? Or are we keeping it official stuff only?

FNSErg0WYAoiAAR

that's pretty well-done all-around and i'd readily believe it

This time I am already having a really hard time choosing between these 3 critters... I wish I could narrow it down but they're all so appealing to me. Maybe I'll try to go in blind this time, keeping their evolutions a surprise to myself. Has anyone here ever tried to go blind into a new generation? How was it?

i always said that genshin was the first open world after BotW that really got the exploration right.
its open world is really well made and makes you want to just look around the corner, reach the next hill etc.

Have you not played any Xenoblade games, my man?

Has anyone here ever tried to go blind into a new generation? How was it?
Went on blackout for Sword and Shield after the first trailer, so only knew the starters going into them. This time I didn't even watch the trailer; haven't seen a single visual from Scarlet and Violet

It's tough but manageable. I block all images and don't mind still reading about the games, so avoiding the stuff I don't wanna see isn't difficult, but I do get cravings sometimes lol. Just gotta distract myself with other games

Went on blackout for Sword and Shield after the first trailer, so only knew the starters going into them. This time I didn't even watch the trailer; haven't seen a single visual from Scarlet and Violet

It's tough but manageable. I block all images and don't mind still reading about the games, so avoiding the stuff I don't wanna see isn't difficult, but I do get cravings sometimes lol. Just gotta distract myself with other games
I feel like if I had gone on blackout for Sword and Shield my expectations would have been way too high for what we got lol, but after Arceus I could more confidently do that for SV

I feel like if I had gone on blackout for Sword and Shield my expectations would have been way too high for what we got lol, but after Arceus I could more confidently do that for SV
On the flipside, the wild area was very novel to me. Despite the geography being babby's first open world, the simple act of running around and discovering all these new Pokémon was enough for me. Though yes I would absolutely not categorize Sword and Shield as good games lol

I'm curious as to the multiplayer functions in the game. continuing to have you and your friends running around would do the game some good, especially if they expand interactivity. I'd also like to see other peoples' characters and teams available in the overworld for battling

Have you not played any Xenoblade games, my man?
as much as i like the world building in those.... the exploration for secrets is not one of their strong points if you compare that with BotW or Genshin...
Xeno games have BEAUTIFUL locations, and of course have secrets etc, but the density of content is not the same, not by far.

as i said, BotW made open world right, and only genshin got near (in the sense of exploration and making a breathing living world) after MANY years.
is like comparing the world from BotW and xeno... very big, very beautiful, full of wonder but they have different scales, and xeno (and DQ XI and many different games with "open worlds") have much less freedom and dont reward AS MUCH the exploration.
Witcher has an open world full of wonder, with hundreds of things to farm kill and explore? sure. but its not the same feeling of just going a bit farther to see whats behind that tree/hill/rock etc.

Arceus, even with its horrible map from afar, in a way has a very rewarding exploration when you consider it the on-foot level, with a great ammount of freedom for exploration and facing the challenges. is not the same of course, but for a "trial" of what to come, is showing promise at least
In that sense i can only wonder how will they improve upon that! Scarlet&Violet is going to be crazy if they are going to take that one step further with a mainline pokemon game.

I'm curious as to the multiplayer functions in the game. continuing to have you and your friends running around would do the game some good, especially if they expand interactivity. I'd also like to see other peoples' characters and teams available in the overworld for battling

My only fear is that someone could ruin when you are trying to ambush a special/alpha/shiny pokemon if they can just "jump" into you lol
this is going to be difficult to get it right

Last edited:
as much as i like the world building in those.... the exploration for secrets is not one of their strong points if you compare that with BotW or Genshin...
Xeno games have BEAUTIFUL locations, and of course have secrets etc, but the density of content is not the same, not by far.

as i said, BotW made open world right, and only genshin got near (in the sense of exploration and making a breathing living world) after MANY years.
is like comparing the world from BotW and xeno... very big, very beautiful, full of wonder but they have different scales, and xeno (and DQ XI and many different games with "open worlds") have much less freedom and dont reward AS MUCH the exploration.
Witcher has an open world full of wonder, with hundreds of things to farm kill and explore? sure. but its not the same feeling of just going a bit farther to see whats behind that tree/hill/rock etc.

Arceus, even with its horrible map from afar, in a way has a very rewarding exploration when you consider it the on-foot level, with a great ammount of freedom for exploration and facing the challenges. is not the same of course, but for a "trial" of what to come, is showing promise at least

Are you absolutely sure you've played Xenoblade X and 2?

I enjoyed BOTW for 70 hours but I began to get bored of every reward either being a Korok seed or just another Shrine. Those two things are what every interesting thing you find in the world leads to, so I disagree that BOTW set any kind of benchmark when it comes to what you find in its open world. Most of what you find are few repeated things copy and pasted across the entirety of Hyrule. The same 10 sets of enemies are stretched across its map too alongside the same repeated bandit camps. I do think you're overestimating the things the game rewards you with for exploring.

Touching upon your comment on the freedom games such as BOTW gives you, have you played Xenoblade X? It released before BOTW and the open world is completely seamless from the get-go. You have complete freedom to go anywhere you want. Later you can explore the entirety of the world from the ground to the sky in mechs.

Have no interest in Genshin or Arceus. However, I've seen enough of Arceus' exploration to say that I strenuously disagree that it is more rewarding than any Xenoblade game. For a start, the world crafting and level design in Arceus needs to be much, much better for it to come anywhere near as close. Maps look a little more interesting in Scarlet & Violet though.

Last edited:
im one of those that put hundreds of hours in his open world games XD so, yes i think i have played those a lot XDDD. i think i have 250h on BotW alone
its true that i didnt play Xeno X as i skipped wiiU, but as i said, hundreds of hours on the others XDD

Arceus is rewarding not because of the map itself, but from the placing of pokemon and resources. most of those is what make arceus as a rewarding experience. i go mostly hiding and catching my pokemon unaware and without combat (if i go battling i usually just beat them as a "prize" XD)

you should try Genshin, as a ftp is more than worth a shot. its world is REALLY rich

FNSErg0WYAoiAAR
Sad that it's fake cause I really liked that scorpion.

One thing I'm curious about is how they'll handle item balls in this game. Aside from actual Pokémon those are traditionally the primary motivation to go off the beaten path in the main games, but I would imagine that it'd be difficult to balance them in an open-world game if you can grab most of them from the start of the game. This probably isn't a huge deal for most items, though TMs could be troublesome if you could get stuff like Earthquake and Thunderbolt early, which is probably why Arceus went with the move shop instead.

I'd also like to see what they try to come up with as the analogue to the alpha Pokémon for this. I doubt that they'll reuse that mechanic exactly, but the route boss Trainers don't really have the same panache.

I'm not really into cynical, paid gacha service games such as Genshin. Sorry. Looks really cookie cutter and money-driven.
actually is not, is something that surprised me a lot. i mean, you dont even see the gatcha part until you play for a while and even then its not necessary actually.

anyway playing for a while to explore the world is something that will surely entertain you for a while even if you are just focusing on clearing the story with the story given/unlocked characters

I'm not really into cynical, paid gacha service games such as Genshin. Sorry. Looks really cookie cutter.
As said above it’s really not that invasive as far as I know. Of course I understand being against F2P models regardless tho.

Speaking of which, is XB3 confirmed to be rid of the bad gacha systems used for blades in 2?

One thing I'm curious about is how they'll handle item balls in this game. Aside from actual Pokémon those are traditionally the primary motivation to go off the beaten path in the main games, but I would imagine that it'd be difficult to balance them in an open-world game if you can grab most of them from the start of the game. This probably isn't a huge deal for most items, though TMs could be troublesome if you could get stuff like Earthquake and Thunderbolt early, which is probably why Arceus went with the move shop instead.

I'd also like to see what they try to come up with as the analogue to the alpha Pokémon for this. I doubt that they'll reuse that mechanic exactly, but the route boss Trainers don't really have the same panache.
Yeah I think TMs will be in a move shop if you can go anywhere from the beginning.

Xenoblade X is one of the biggest open world games ever made, lots if content. Xeno 2 really went many steps back in that regard. Comparing simple boring gacha games like Genshin to Xenoblade 1 or X (or even Xeno 2, which I did not like much) is almost tasteless.

Xenoblade X is one of the biggest open world games ever made, lots if content. Xeno 2 really went many steps back in that regard. Comparing simple boring gacha games like Genshin to Xenoblade 1 or X (or even Xeno 2, which I did not like much) is almost tasteless.
Uh...

Yeah I think TMs will be in a move shop if you can go anywhere from the beginning.
On the one hand, the move shop is a much needed simplification, especially if the alternative is going back to single-use TMs like SwSh and BDSP decided to do for some unfathomable reason. It's definitely a lot more straightforward for an open-world game in how they can gate moves off from the player during a play through, while still allowing for unlimited uses without excessive grinding for players who want to build postgame squads.

On the other hand, TMs have been the only real reason to ever explore thoroughly in Pokémon, since Pokémon spawns are consistent within areas and most of the other item balls don't have much of value in them. Legends: Arceus builds its world in such a way that finding set overworld Pokémon spawns is the driving incentive to search thoroughly, but I don't think that a more traditional entry in a fully open world is necessarily able to rely on those exclusively. I'd like to see something of worth in item balls, or if item balls are dropped, something else to find in the less-trodden parts of the region.

You haven't played Genshin, have you?

Xenoblade 2 did the field - city transition really well and that came out in 2017, so hopefully Gamefreak can pull that off.

r4r62yx0lem81.jpg

i would personally focus more on comparisons with arceus than with other games. with gamefreak its a little step every time they improve over previous games.

i mostly expect Arceus with better textures, much more variety of assets for trees/rocks/bushes etc and (i hope) a little improved modeling of mountain tops to avoid having those "high roads" that you can find on the tundra or even corona mountain.

yes, there will be new towns, and cities, and hopefully you will be able to use your pokemon to fly/run around them also (not like jubilife) but other than that i prefer that the pokemon have their whole movesets and there is more interaction in the worldmap (like weather/field moves) or even just enabling AoE attacks once more

No smart person would. Hard to feel sorry for any fool conned into playing it.

Why are you judging a game you've never played so harshly? For the record I haven't played it myself so I'm not here defending it because I'm a fan or anything, but it just seems like you have quite an extreme view of something you haven't actually played.

No smart person would. Hard to feel sorry for any fool conned into playing a monetised, cookie-cutter RPG just because it's the latest fad.
then you should at least refrain from throwing such hard opinions at least.
genshin is such a vast open world game with so much content that i felt the need to pay for a couple season pass (wich by the way are completly unnecesary) just to support the developers and their good practices in a genre where is really hard to see any different thing from what you described.

usually FTP titles are heavily monetized, poor on content and just time expending sinks with endless chores to force you to invest your time out of fear of "not catching up". this is completly different, thats why it has the good critic that it has

Fair play to you if you're into that type of thing, but I don't just jump on games cause they're the latest trend or because it's popular and everyone else is playing it. That's the definition of a sheep. Individual merit of a game is what draws me into playing something and I've seen enough of Genshin to know enough of what it's about. Something I value highly in RPGs is compelling storytelling, a good British dub and an intricately crafted and artistically detailed world. However, neither of those are present in Genshin, so I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I won't apologise for having high standards.

Last edited:
Fair play to you if you're into that type of thing, but I don't just jump on games cause they're the latest trend or because it's popular and everyone else is playing it. That's the definition of a sheep. Individual merit of a game is what draws me into playing something and I've seen enough of Genshin to know enough of what it's about. Something I value highly in RPGs is compelling storytelling, a good British dub and an intricately crafted and artistically detailed world. However, neither of those are present in Genshin, so I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I won't apologise for having high standards.

imagine acting almighty because you play xenoblade like lmfao holy shit this reads like parody
step down your horse, you're stanning a horny game made for teenagers

imagine acting almighty because you play xenoblade like lmfao holy shit this reads like parody
step down your horse, you're stanning a horny game made for teenagers

A game targeted towards teenagers as opposed to what, Genshin and Pokemon's target audience of kids?

Last edited:
I don't like Genshin Impact, but I can say that because I gave it a go. Not even trying and saying only sheep play it makes you look silly dude.

Don't be like Francis:
29c.jpg

every jrpg is made for horny teenagers, there is no high brow culture in that. touch some grass lol

So then what point are you even trying to make? lol, obtain some semblance of intelligence please and stop typing like a carbon copy Gen Z Twitter user.

So then what point are you even trying to make? lol, obtain some semblance of intelligence please and stop typing like a carbon copy Gen Z Twitter user.

you do not have to feel so offended because i suggested you should see the light of the day instead of trying to act like a horny jrpg is class art compared to another horny jrpg

Can we stay on topic, please?!
Different people like different games... calm down!

You're all sounding like assholes at the moment FYI. The solution to someone dismissing something they haven't tried isn't to in turn dismiss an entire genre as just "aimed at horny teenagers." You can just ignore and move on instead of turning a Pokemon thread into a Xenoblade vs Genshin fan war the rest of us have no stake in.

Anyways....

What do you guys think the gyms should do this gen? Liner progression, groups of 2-3 you can try in any order, or scrapped for something like the Island Trials?

Anyways....

What do you guys think the gyms should do this gen? Liner progression, groups of 2-3 you can try in any order, or scrapped for something like the Island Trials?
I think the Island Trials were super fun! Something like this would be nice. Though I see that many people like the challenges the trainer battles bring (not me).
So it would be great, if they have a trial with "boss" trainer fight at the end.
And the gyms should be beatable in any order with a leveling system

No smart person would. Hard to feel sorry for any fool conned into playing a monetised, cookie-cutter RPG just because it's the latest fad.
I play it and I enjoy it, for about 150 hours now. Am I an idiot? I didn't need intelligence to enjoy myself though. There's a lot of charm and fun to be had in Genshin.

I wasn't even taking part in the discussion, but you seem to get really aggressive about defending Xenoblade and it's honestly bugging me. That would be unnecessary in any thread, but it doesn't help that this is a thread about Pokemon.

Anyways....

I'd really enjoy if it was like other people described, with the gyms having level scaling so that their team adapts to where you are in the story and you can do the gyms in any order you like.

you do not have to feel so offended because i suggested you should see the light of the day instead of trying to act like a horny jrpg is class art compared to another horny jrpg

Offended? You said the game is "a horny jrpg made for teenagers" as if that was supposed to be an intelligent and well-constructed jab at the game only to then end up pidgeonholing an entire genre as "horny". You should stop parroting buzzwords you read on your Twitter news feed. If you do, you might be able to form a strong and cogent argument in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom