• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST6 Mar. 2022| Marchful Mode

What is the best (non-Kirby) Kirby franchise main character?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
None of what I listed is false, though:
  • The same graphical style
  • The same basic gameplay systems set
  • Much of the same world
  • The same - lower-specced - generation of console
Those are obvious benefits that other developer simply didn't have, so expectations are gonna be different no matter the end result.

I personally expect that Nintendo's got a really big 'ace' up their sleeve with this game, but we're at a point where there's a very real possibility of this game just being, well, "a sequel to Breath of the Wild." If that's the case then the long wait - and the inevitable 6+ year wait (likely 7 given they'll be moving to a new generation) we'll have for the next Zelda - are gonna be in the back of some people's minds no matter how much people 'dunk' on them.

Other developers reuse gameplay systems and graphical styles. In fact the constant change in art style and game systems for the Zelda series is not considered the norm. Elden Ring was built using similar gameplay systems, graphical styles, and hardware as Dark Souls 3.

I think your bullet points focus on things that most people simply don't really care about. If the game delivers on a fun adventure with new elements thrown in, people are going to like it. So far we have only seen a small portion teases of the game, teases that are obviously meant to find other aspects of the game so I don't we have enough to determine how big or different this game truly is.

FPBt5vBVQAA6mTG

i would eat this
The Zelda delay is the 2nd worse thing I've seen today.

None of what I listed is false, though:
  • The same graphical style
  • The same basic gameplay systems set
  • Much of the same world
  • The same - lower-specced - generation of console
Those are obvious benefits that other developer simply didn't have, so expectations are gonna be different no matter the end result.

I personally expect that Nintendo's got a really big 'ace' up their sleeve with this game, but we're at a point where there's a very real possibility of this game just being, well, "a sequel to Breath of the Wild." If that's the case then the long wait - and the inevitable 6+ year wait (likely 7 given they'll be moving to a new generation) we'll have for the next Zelda - are gonna be in the back of some people's minds no matter how much people 'dunk' on them.
Considering how many games are cross gen right now, I'd say those are benefits a lot of games have had or have. Stuff like HFW or GoW 2 absolutely have them and I'd be surprised if Elden Ring didn't reuse anything from previous Souls games

Just trying to add context for why people are "just judging it based on dev time." Like, if this were a completely new generation of Zelda with an entirely new world, set of characters, and graphical style then it would definitely not be judged purely based on dev time. People aren't that simplistic.

I don’t think there was anything in my post that suggested I wasn’t aware of the context. I referred to a very specific case because I meant a very specific case. People are obviously free to feel disappointed in BotW2 for whichever reason they want, it’s just that I cannot relate to this specific train of thought.

On another completely unrelated note:

The very early Ubisoft Assassin's Creed trailers were awesome and well-done:

Still my favorite Ass Creed trailer

"There are certain moments a man never forgets. His first kiss. His first duel. But most of all, the moment he first discovers his purpose in life"

I think your bullet points focus on things that most people simply don't really care about.
Yeah, most people - so some folks think they're important enough to criticise. Therefore it's valid for them to have those criticisms, and we shouldn't shut them down automatically because we don't agree with them personally.

Considering how many games are cross gen right now, I'd say those are benefits a lot of games have had or have. Stuff like HFW or GoW 2 absolutely have them and I'd be surprised if Elden Ring didn't reuse anything from previous Souls games
The "lower-specced" part is the most important bit. BotW2 is seeing a particularly long 8th-gen development time whilst still having its technical 'ceiling' grounded firmly in 7th-gen roots. It's also not gonna be cross-gen, either, unless Nintendo somehow surprises everyone and releases a true "Switch 2" instead of a simple "Switch Pro," next year.

I don’t think there was anything in my post that suggested I wasn’t aware of the context. I referred to a very specific case because I meant a very specific case. People are obviously free to feel disappointed in BotW2 for whichever reason they want, it’s just that I cannot relate to this specific train of thought.
If it's a very specific case then quote it, though. Posts like that just make it seem like you're dismissing an entire point of view regarding the game.

If it's a very specific case then quote it, though. Posts like that just make it seem like you're dismissing an entire point of view regarding the game.
I cannot control people feeling addressed by me referring to a sentiment they obviously don’t share. I don’t really understand what the problem is.

Thanks, had them for four days in a row again. Good god I wish that neurologist would call me already.

Also, was sonic colors ever fixed to a good, playable state?
It took awhile for my neurologist to get back with me as well. Felt like a month passed by. The good news is that they didn't find anything, bad news is that we still haven't found an explanation for my constant migraines, tremors and facial tics, and slurred speech.

I have unsettling news for you.

I don't like hockey.
surprisedpika.webp

Saved for future use, thanks.

Just dealing with yet another bad headache. Been incredibly unlucky these last few days. Still haven’t started Kirby
You're welcome, I just love the horse head stuff for some reason 🤣
Also do we know yet whether or not Kirby could cure headaches? 🤔

The "lower-specced" part is the most important bit. BotW2 is seeing a particularly long 8th-gen development time whilst still having its technical 'ceiling' grounded firmly in 7th-gen roots. It's also not gonna be cross-gen, either, unless Nintendo somehow surprises everyone and releases a true "Switch 2" instead of a simple "Switch Pro," next year.
Well BotW 2 has a much larger scope than the overwhelming majority of 7th gen games and even those games took 2-3 years to make sequels, despite generally not being open world. Never mind that BotW 2 would naturally be doing things that 7th gen consoles couldn't just by virtue of being on a more powerful and vastly more modern system. Of course, with it being a handheld, the game not having the graphics of the other big AAA games doesn't mean much to me when it was never going to have them to begin with. To me, it's like the inverse of wanting PS4/PS5 games to have been portable

That's exactly what I'm expecting. A Switch 2 next year to coincide with BotW 2

It took awhile for my neurologist to get back with me as well. Felt like a month passed by. The good news is that they didn't find anything, bad news is that we still haven't found an explanation for my constant migraines, tremors and facial tics, and slurred speech.
They did some tests a few years ago and found nothing life threatening was causing them and that some pressure on my eyes was, but they never could figure it out at the time. I just hope I can get some relief. I am sick and tired of them at this point
surprisedpika.webp

You're welcome, I just love the horse head stuff for some reason 🤣
Also do we know yet whether or not Kirby could cure headaches? 🤔
Trust me, the Kirby cart is in my switch, just not felt like playing it.

I may test splatoon 2 on my hot spot data to see how it works at least

I cannot control people feeling addressed by me referring to a sentiment they obviously don’t share. I don’t really understand what the problem is.
But nobody shares that sentiment because nobody is judging the game based purely on development time. Even if they don't blatantly say it, the context is going to influence how they think, and so they're gonna look at a post which implies otherwise and think "wait, that's not what I think." Similarly, it means you can point to anyone criticising the post and say "yeah but it's not about you."

Basically, posts that try to dismiss vague "sentiments" are just never a good idea imo, because - as you say - you can't control how people view them.

Well BotW has a much larger scope than most 7th gen games and even those games took 2-3 years to make sequels. Never mind that BotW 2 would naturally be doing things that 7th gen consoles couldn't just by virtue of being on a more powerful and vastly more modern system. Like the game not having the graphics of the other big AAA games doesn't mean much to me when it was never going to have them to begin with

That's exactly what I'm expecting. A Switch 2 next year to coincide with BotW 2
Yes, the game will be more advanced - but the basic facts of the matter is that an asset in BotW is going to require less technical investment than an asset in Horizon: Forbidden West or Elden Ring. Same goes for lighting, animation, rigging, etc. As such, expectations are going to be different for some people in regards to what assets are there and what they do with said assets. You don't have to share those expectations, definitely, but they're perfectly valid nonetheless. After all this is Nintendo we're talking about - not a one-man indie team or a small AA developer.

The Breath of The Breath of The Breath of The Breath of The Breath of The Breath of The Breath of The Breath of The Breath of The Breath of The Breath of The Breath of The Breath of The Breath of The Breath of The Breath of The Breath of The Breath of The Breath of The Breath of The Breath of
I too love drum and bass

Nintendo has two modes of operations

"We are putting out one of the greatest games of all time. It will release 2 years after you wanted it to. And then a month after that for good measure."

And

"Here is Scrimblo Bimblo: Hockey Adventure. It comes out next week and features a new 'Puckful Mode'! :)"

No exceptions.
Origami King fans: "Am I a joke to you?"

Imagine if Nintendo drops another Aonuma video in a couple hours and he's like: "nah jk we've just dropped the game on the eShop, enjoy!"

But nobody shares that sentiment because nobody is judging the game based purely on development time. Even if they don't blatantly say it, the context is going to influence how they think, and so they're gonna look at a post which implies otherwise and think "wait, that's not what I think." Similarly, it means you can point to anyone criticising the post and say "yeah but it's not about you."

Basically, posts that try to dismiss vague "sentiments" are just never a good idea imo, because - as you say - you can't control how people view them.
I wasn’t dismissing anything, though.

Now there il all the space you want in the line up for Prime Remastered and Even potentially new/remake Fire Emblem

Yes, the game will be more advanced - but the basic facts of the matter is that an asset in BotW is going to require less technical investment than an asset in Horizon: Forbidden West or Elden Ring. Same goes for lighting, animation, rigging, etc. As such, expectations are going to be different for some people in regards to what assets are there and what they do with said assets. You don't have to share those expectations, definitely, but they're perfectly valid nonetheless. After all this is Nintendo we're talking about - not a one-man indie team or a small AA developer.
But what does that matter if those games are also reusing assets? Is reusing assets more difficult on more powerful systems or something? Like I don't really see your point. A Switch game being less technically demanding than a PS4 game was more or less a thing since Day 0. That doesn't exactly mean that a Switch game should take less time and considering that those other games have larger development teams and arguably do more crunching, I'd imagine that'd make it a wash

I am probably going off for the day, browsing the internet while dealing with the headache is just bothering my eyes more.
Yeah, that's the way to do it. Maybe take an aspirin or something too

But what does that matter if those games are also reusing assets? Is reusing assets more difficult on more powerful systems or something? Like I don't really see your point. A Switch game being less technically demanding than a PS4 game was more or less a thing since Day 0. That doesn't exactly mean that a Switch game should take less time and considering that those other games have larger development teams and arguably do more crunching, I'd imagine that'd make it a wash
OK. I'm gonna leave this here because I can feel things getting worse. Sorry.

Yeah, most people - so some folks think they're important enough to criticise. Therefore it's valid for them to have those criticisms, and we shouldn't shut them down automatically because we don't agree with them personally.

I'm fine with criticism. I just don't think there is really enough info out to there to judge the game one way or another. We have barely seen anything and many of the criticisms are just based off assumptions.

I ain't gonna lie to you all, the delay bummed me tf out. Deep down I knew it was a very real possibility but waiting another full year sucks lol

I will say, not trying to be too negative, but I do think it's a bit unfortunate that, in my mind, a large portion of the Switch's life will be characterized by their most talented teams - the Mario Kart/Arms, Mario, and Zelda teams- essentially releasing nothing. Not even Bowser's Fury was by the Mario team as far as we know. We are getting Booster Course Pass maps now at least, albeit in a somewhat monkey's paw sort of way.

I still think this year has been and will be great and that 2022 could still be better than 2017, because I'm one of those weird people who really liked 2020 and 2021.

What I'm saying is ... everything essentially rides on Donkey Kong. 🦍

I would have been way more bummed about this delay in any other year, but this year has a stacked schedule before even E3.

I am now wondering if it frees up more space for a Tokyo EPD banger, for example.

I'm fine with criticism. I just don't think there is really enough info out to there to judge the game one way or another. We have barely seen anything and many of the criticisms are just based off assumptions.
I think part of it is definitely Nintendo's fault. Like I've said before, I think they've got a really big ace-up-the-sleeve. But the 3 years of having very little concrete information on what makes this game a true 'next generation' of Zelda makes the similarities to BotW more obvious and concerning to some. Like, showing off some sky islands, a new tablet power, and some new enemies is cool and all but... is it just gonna be that + a few more things (e.g. 'an underground area')? Probably not, but when the game is graphically, technically and practically a sequel, some people are gonna have higher expectations for what kind of "more" they want.

Giving an "aiming for 2022" date in 2021's E3 was a definite mistake, though. Or not, because it let them have the "BotW2 in 2022 hype!!!" whilst making sure the likely-inevitable delay was less surprising.

Oh alright. Sorry if I came across as hostile. Wasn't quite my intention. Just trying to have a discussion
No problem. Sorry if I was sounding hostile as well.

EDIT: Forget it.

I've seen multiple people refer to the long dev time as a reason for why BotW2 has to be of a certain quality and have a certain amount of content, both in the negative and positive sense. But personally speaking the process of how the game was made and how long it took doesn't factor in my assessment of it. The game will release when it releases and can be judged in that context, regardless of how long it took to get there. Mainly because we as outsiders don't know how the proverbial sausage was made and how many sausage makers were involved at any point in time. "Why is this game taking so long to develop" is opening a can of worms that I don't think is very conductive to discussions about its quality.

Thinking about games this way is something I cannot relate to and I tried to express it in a way that wasn't dismissive ("I am feeling disconnected", "I cannot relate" rather than attacking the sentiment) and didn't quote anyone because I 1) don't think it's that big a deal and 2) didn't want to put anyone on the spot about it.

You don't have to reply to this, just thought I'd clarify.

I think the marketing for botw 2 has definitely been too reserved for its own good. Having said that, there’s no way of knowing how much new content, or how much reused content, there will be in a game that doesn’t even have a name and has like a minute and a half of gameplay footage in total. Reminder that this game has still yet to receive an actual reveal trailer, just 3 teasers at this point.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

All y'all headache havers here...can there be a collective group hug? Whatever I just experienced yesterday was certainly the worst I've ever experienced in my life to the point my heartrate was climbing and I needed to take emergency pills I was prescribed by my cardiologist for the first time in a year.

And it just so happened to be the day my parents decided to have the contractors come in to start their kitchen reno project 🙃 I was feeling a dental drill entering my eye socket on top of everything else going on the floor beneath me while I'm writhing in my bed like I need an exorcism.

Re: Zelda delay, I do feel like a chump for believing Nintendo, but man the only thing that gives me hope is TP/WW getting announced at E3 this year and there better be some good hardware news/leaks to look forward to. I don't begrudge my friend for not believing in a Pro/2, but belittling me for thinking a new Switch arriving by the end of the FY2022 is a dick move.

well, I guess I won't be buying any games this year; At least not necessarily at launch;

Now, if Nintendo announces a traditional 2D DKC game around E3 time, I'll pre-order 5 copies

I think part of it is definitely Nintendo's fault. Like I've said before, I think they've got a really big ace-up-the-sleeve. But the 3 years of having very little concrete information on what makes this game a true 'next generation' of Zelda makes the similarities to BotW more obvious and concerning to some. Like, showing off some sky islands, a new tablet power, and some new enemies is cool and all but... is it just gonna be that + a few more things (e.g. 'an underground area')? Probably not, but when the game is graphically, technically and practically a sequel, some people are gonna have higher expectations for what kind of "more" they want.

Giving an "aiming for 2022" date in 2021's E3 was a definite mistake, though. Or not, because it let them have the "BotW2 in 2022 hype!!!" whilst making sure the likely-inevitable delay was less surprising.

No problem. Sorry if I was sounding hostile as well.

I think most people are expecting a bigger blowout of game details much closer to release. That's how Nintendo has been doing it this whole generation. The trailer last E3 was clearly meant as a tease to hold people over because they knew people would be asking about the game. I don't think say they were aiming for 2022 was a mistake. They probably sincerely wanted the game to come out this year and were just using very candid language to talk about their target. It's hard to pin down a release date more than a year in advance, especially the ongoing pandemic. That's why he said aiming.

I'll be frank, I think the reason why you and a few other people might feel concerned about the game is just because you're just hungry for more info and want something new to talk about. For me, I've been following gaming news and Nintendo news long enough to know that a lack of news or info doesn't have any real bearing on a game's quality most of the time. Information blowouts have shifted more closer to release. In 2016, Breath of the Wild got its first gameplay demonstration and title at Summer and was supposed to come out in the Fall. The release got pushed to coincide with the Switch but Nintendo had no problems with waiting close to release for the info dump. They are probably going to do the same for this Zelda as well. We'll probably get the name and a new trailer this E3.

All y'all headache havers here...can there be a collective group hug? Whatever I just experienced yesterday was certainly the worst I've ever experienced in my life to the point my heartrate was climbing and I needed to take emergency pills I was prescribed by my cardiologist for the first time in a year.

And it just so happened to be the day my parents decided to have the contractors come in to start their kitchen reno project 🙃 I was feeling a dental drill entering my eye socket on top of everything else going on the floor beneath me while I'm writhing in my bed like I need an exorcism.

Re: Zelda delay, I do feel like a chump for believing Nintendo, but man the only thing that gives me hope is TP/WW getting announced at E3 this year and there better be some good hardware news/leaks to look forward to. I don't begrudge my friend for not believing in a Pro/2, but belittling me for thinking a new Switch arriving by the end of the FY2022 is a dick move.
Hope you are at least doing better

I also tested splatoon 2 with my hot spot. Worked flawlessly. Had fun during that as well.

One thing I will say is that I always had real FOMO missing out on splatoon, especially the splat tests

I'm now doubly convinced it's no just going to be the old Hyrule + the sky islands after that video. They're hiding something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom