• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST6 Mar. 2022| Marchful Mode

What is the best (non-Kirby) Kirby franchise main character?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way I see we get BotW2 launching with new hardware next year is if it’s fully backwards compatible. Nintendo isn’t going to nuke both Mario Kart 8’s DLC printing press and Splatoon 3’s online. That would be suicidal and piss off a lot of the Nintendo community as a whole.

Nintendo probably delaying BotW 2 because they’re changing the title name to the Legend of Zelda: Ring of Elden.
Ellllldddiiinnn. It’s Ring of Eldin.

What if I want both Xenoblade and Zelda 🥺
Smash exists.

I think most people are expecting a bigger blowout of game details much closer to release. That's how Nintendo has been doing it this whole generation. The trailer last E3 was clearly meant as a tease to hold people over because they knew people would be asking about the game. I don't think say they were aiming for 2022 was a mistake. They probably sincerely wanted the game to come out this year and were just using very candid language to talk about their target. It's hard to pin down a release date more than a year in advance, especially the ongoing pandemic. That's why he said aiming.

I'll be frank, I think the reason why you and a few other people might feel concerned about the game is just because you're just hungry for more info and want something new to talk about. For me, I've been following gaming news and Nintendo news long enough to know that a lack of news or info doesn't have any real bearing on a game's quality most of the time. Information blowouts have shifted more closer to release. In 2016, Breath of the Wild got its first gameplay demonstration and title at Summer and was supposed to come out in the Fall. The release got pushed to coincide with the Switch but Nintendo had no problems with waiting close to release for the info dump. They are probably going to do the same for this Zelda as well. We'll probably get the name and a new trailer this E3.
I mean, I'm personally not concerned, and I've been following gaming news for most of my life so I do know that there's still a lot to see. I do see why they might have wanted to put the 2022 date, but I don't agree with the decision either, and I think Nintendo would have probably been wise to just not announce the game until they knew it wasn't going to be another 4 year wait between reveal and release.

As for the rest, there is always the possibility that the sequel won't be as 'new' as people hope. I think it's perfectly valid to lean more on that notion rather than assuming that the game is going to have this completely-incredible dimension to it. After all, it's not like people are assuming the game is gonna be crap - just not 'special' in the context of a franchise where every entry is special in its own way. Personally, I think the game's going to have some incredible time-or-dimension-hopping puzzle shenanigans, a slieu of improvements and changes to combat (especially after AoC), and a story that breaks from the "defeat Ganon" formula to become something unique. I think it's going to recontextualise and enlarge the world enough to make its reuse of the same Hyrule much less of a potential problem.. But I still think it's a possibility - same as how I never thought the game was a lock for 2022 - that the game is just what it says on the tin.

And, like I've said, the context here is very different to prior titles. Outside of handhelds there have only been two games in the Zelda series that don't completely 'reset' the world, graphics, etc - and one of them came only a year after its predecessor (and, even then, it gave us an entirely new world to explore). So, by default, the game does not have the inherent 'new' factor that other games enjoyed. It's truly an oddity in the franchise, and as such I think emotions running a little higher than usual is fine. It's really up to Nintendo now to show us what makes this game more than just "more BotW." I expect they will, but I'm not gonna look down on those who can't expect that.

EDIT: I'd also add that, regarding Nintendo's advertisements on the game, the E3 2021 trailer featuring another Talus variant, a new Guardian, as well as the same story content we'd already seen didn't really help things. Like, "there's a new version of the same boss you fought 20 times in the last game!" ain't a selling point to me, and it's weird that they'd feature it in what-was-essentially the game's first actual trailer. But, as we both agree, the E3 trailer will likely show off what makes the game truly special. If it doesn't...

...chaos.

Last edited:
The only way I see we get BotW2 launching with new hardware next year is if it’s fully backwards compatible. Nintendo isn’t going to nuke both Mario Kart 8’s DLC printing press and Splatoon 3’s online. That would be suicidal and piss off a lot of the Nintendo community as a whole.

...is anyone expecting the new hardware to not be backwards compatible?

I think most people are expecting it to be marketed as a DSi/New 3DS-style "iterative upgrade" but even if it's straight up marketed as the Switch 2*, I think virtually everyone except for the dumbest of ResetEra trolls are taking it as a given that it'll play Switch games.

*) This is assuming, of course, that there's anything different at all between it being marketed as a "Switch Plus/Pro" or a Switch 2, and that Nintendo won't simply keep doing iterative upgrades of the Switch platform for the foreseeable future.

Ellllldddiiinnn. It’s Ring of Eldin.

Smash exists.
"The Nintendo community can suck my ass."- Nintendo, probably

...is anyone expecting the new hardware to not be backwards compatible?

I think most people are expecting it to be marketed as a DSi/New 3DS-style "iterative upgrade" but even if it's straight up marketed as the Switch 2*, I think virtually everyone except for the dumbest of ResetEra trolls are taking it as a given that it'll play Switch games.

*) This is assuming, of course, that there's anything different at all between it being marketed as a "Switch Plus/Pro" or a Switch 2, and that Nintendo won't simply keep doing iterative upgrades of the Switch platform for the foreseeable future.
I think something more like Gameboy Color would make more sense , it will have a bigger exclusive library (especially from third parties) but it will co-exist with the OG switch and be part of the Switch family. (of course this means BC )

I think something more like Gameboy Color would make more sense , it will have a bigger exclusive library (especially from third parties) but it will co-exist with the OG switch and be part of the Switch family. (of course this means BC )
The Game Boy Color wasn't too different from the DSi or New 3DS, digital distribution just wasn't a thing yet.

Can we please shut up about Nintendo for once and instead talk about the space flavored Coca-Cola? It's so wacky. What's even going on?

220217102027-20220217-coke-new-flavor.jpg

Can we please shut up about Nintendo for once and instead talk about the space flavored Coca-Cola? It's so wacky. What's even going on?

Honestly did try it out out of curiosity and...it was fine. Wouldn't search for it but wouldn't refuse it either. It was a type of Coke alright 😋

Honestly did try it out out of curiosity and...it was fine. Wouldn't search for it but wouldn't refuse it either. It was a type of Coke alright 😋
I agree, it's fine. I mean, I would pick it over a regular Coke, but I always pick a flavored Coke over a regular. I actually really like orange vanilla Coke, which was a thing a few years ago but I'm not sure if it's still around.

I agree, it's fine. I mean, I would pick it over a regular Coke, but I always pick a flavored Coke over a regular. I actually really like orange vanilla Coke, which was a thing a few years ago but I'm not sure if it's still around.
Well vanilla is usually pretty good so I get you there. If I have that as an option for take out, I go with it. Never did try a unique vanilla flavored one tho

This reminded me of two things;

A) That "space...giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirl" song that was a bop for a hot minute on TikTok and is now looping in my head

B) When I wanted to make some cocktails for a blacklight party based on this image (not realizing it was photshopped), and failed spectacularly (they weren't bad, it was just mostly vodka on ice and the soda some website recommended didn't react to blacklight like the author said it would)

163897_1_600.jpeg

I really liked Chocolate Dr Pepper while that was a thing. Everyone else I know who tried it said it was gross. It even sounds gross. But I felt positive emotions when I drank it.

oh, yeah, that’s absolutely canon
Fuck yeah, not since Star Wars VIII have I been able to successfully guess canon out of delirious morning ramblings. 🤘

Damn, whenever I see a photo of Switch lite I'm reminded how gorgeous it looks. It's the prettiest handheld ever made imo, and I won't budge on that.
...Welp, Lite may look pretty, but I would give 100 just to find one Switch OLED with the Colored JoyCons online for sell!

😭

I'm planning to take my Switch on a long trip and I don't have an official charger, but I do have a USB-C MacBook charger I'll be taking.

Is it safe to charge the Switch like that? I know USB-C does power negotiation and is supposed to set the right voltage or whatever, but I also remember people reporting damaged consoles around the time Switch launched.

I'm planning to take my Switch on a long trip and I don't have an official charger, but I do have a USB-C MacBook charger I'll be taking.

Is it safe to charge the Switch like that? I know USB-C does power negotiation and is supposed to set the right voltage or whatever, but I also remember people reporting damaged consoles around the time Switch launched.

I've used other cords besides the official charger with my launch console and no issues have come up.

I've used other cords besides the official charger with my launch console and no issues have come up.
Thanks. I was just reading a few articles and apparently problems mainly happen with 3rd-party docks and poor quality chargers. I'll use my MacBook charger.

see this was me with last year’s Aonuma

that new haircut doesn’t sit right with me
Eiji Aonuma is a silver fox, and what happens is you get used to him, then he cuts his hair and it just makes you notice the whole thing again.

It's a little weird that we're thirsting over a 60 year old video game developer in Harry Potter glasses, but it really does work for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom