• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST6 Mar. 2022| Marchful Mode

What is the best (non-Kirby) Kirby franchise main character?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not even that disappointed honestly with how much there is to play this year (I still haven't finish Metroid or Pokemon Legends), and I know we'll be so much happier on the other side that they gave themselves time to perfect it as much as they can. BUT it's still so interesting to me that BOTW2 will have the longest console development time since Ocarina (and there's even Link's Awakening between it and LTTP).

I think you need to factor in Covid and that the team were also working on DLC for BOTW for a few months. If you take those into account, the development time for BOTW 2 is probably not that much different than BOTW 1.

Being technically wrong is my favourite kind of being wrong.
🤣 Yeah continuing to split the months in half with astronomical seasons is one of the most confusing things to me. Right up there with the imperial measurement system and Daylight Savings Time.

Am seeing a lot of "so Switch 2 is March 2023", like next generation console from Nintendo? Switch Pro or whatever? Sure. But new generation? Even if it's backward comp, or has cross gen games. March 2023? Doubt that.
I think most folks are using these terms interchangeably.

I feel like a lot of people are forgetting or choosing to ignore two things.

One, Covid was and is still a thing. And two, Nintendo’s lineup is still stacked. You’ve got an open world Pokémon, Xenoblade 3, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime remake/remaster and who knows what else.

Am seeing a lot of "so Switch 2 is March 2023", like next generation console from Nintendo? Switch Pro or whatever? Sure. But new generation? Even if it's backward comp, or has cross gen games. March 2023? Doubt that.
They just mean the next iteration of Switch (whatever Nintendo wants Switch Drake to be)

I think you need to factor in Covid and that the team were also working on DLC for BOTW for a few months. If you take those into account, the development time for BOTW 2 is probably not that much different than BOTW 1.
Botw development started as earliest in January 2013 (mentioned by Fujibayashi). There were of course some concepts but development begun in January 2013. Even if a lot of them worked on DLC, it makes it that they started in Holiday 2017. Covid happened, but it's still 5+ years. This will be masterpiece.

If 6 years is what they need to make the game something insane, fine by me. Especially with how insanely stacked this year is across the board. Still, it does kinda hurt to see fewer new mainline Zelda games coming out these days tho 😅

There aren't even any new 2D ones to help with that

Nintendo has two modes of operations

"We are putting out one of the greatest games of all time. It will release 2 years after you wanted it to. And then a month after that for good measure."

And

"Here is Scrimblo Bimblo: Hockey Adventure. It comes out next week and features a new 'Puckful Mode'! :)"

No exceptions.

I think the pre-existing definition of "console generation" is very rapidly becoming out of date. I think the old definition of "new box, new games, maybe backwards compatible" is out, and "new box, MOSTLY same games but better, SOME new games that can only be played on the new box" is in. Yes, a few years post launch, most games will be Switch 2 only, but there's gonna be a few years of line-blurring before you're going to NEED to upgrade.

So with the Zelda delay, that helps bring this list of games I'm interested in for the rest of this year down to a... still unmanageable 11!

listofgamespairl.png

🤣 Yeah continuing to split the months in half with astronomical seasons is one of the most confusing things to me. Right up there with the imperial measurement system and Daylight Savings Time.
I am actually a proponent of astronomical seasons, but I get that most people refer to calendar seasons nowadays.

Just saw a 13 Sentinels preview go live and I almost forgot that one was coming out soon as well.. yeah April isn't looking too kind for my wallet:

• MLB (depending on performance)
  • Lego Star Wars
  • Chrono Chross
  • 13 Sentinels (what a birthday present :D)
  • Swiitch Sports

Botw development started as earliest in January 2013 (mentioned by Fujibayashi). There were of course some concepts but development begun in January 2013. Even if a lot of them worked on DLC, it makes it that they started in Holiday 2017. Covid happened, but it's still 5+ years. This will be masterpiece.

So we are in agreement then. Factor in Covid and time spent on DLC, the development time would have been about the same as BOTW. And yes, a year plus delay because of Covid is a thing if people haven't been paying attention to all the game delays going on lately.

Saw the news (Also wow, Aonuma's haircut!) makes in my opinion a very compelling argument in favor of Switch Drake (or whatever they are gonna call that) being an early 2023 release and trying to push it forward with the same formula they launched the OG Switch (and the Lite, if you take Link's Awakening remake into account). I hope this is what's going on, frankly the OG Switch is already showing it's age and I can't wait to see what Drake is all about, if it will become public and isn't a development only thing.

Last edited:
this is much less concrete to me but I also feel like Zelda games aren’t necessarily named after initial mechanics unless there’s something a little twisty about them (in regards to possible names that reference the sky or the arm)

I’m trying to think of how to express this thought

like, uh…

it’s not The Legend of Zelda: Yer A Wolf

it’s The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

but twistwise the princess is NOT Zelda, and we don’t initially know the depths of what the Twilight is

and then

it’s not The Legend of Zelda: Angry Moon / The Legend of Zelda: Aclockalypse / The Legend of Zelda: Wear Your Dead Friends’ Faces to Pilot Their Corpses

it’s The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

and the Skull Kid isn’t even Majora!

I mean this is a terrible argument seeing as there’s
  • Ocarina of Time (but the future is more fucked up than you thought! maybe idk)
  • Wind Waker (the real Wind Waker is the friends we made along the way!)
  • Skyward Sword (it’s a sword… in the sky!!! but you can POINT IT at the sky!!! but the sword is also a robot! but it’s also…)
okay yeah everything i’m saying is 100% garbage and falling apart but I still think duality is fucking stupid

send tweet

this is much less concrete to me but I also feel like Zelda games aren’t necessarily named after initial mechanics unless there’s something a little twisty about them (in regards to possible names that reference the sky or the arm)

I’m trying to think of how to express this thought

like, uh…

it’s not The Legend of Zelda: Yer A Wolf

it’s The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

but twistwise the princess is NOT Zelda, and we don’t initially know the depths of what the Twilight is

and then

it’s not The Legend of Zelda: Angry Moon / The Legend of Zelda: Aclockalypse / The Legend of Zelda: Wear Your Dead Friends’ Faces to Pilot Their Corpses

it’s The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

and the Skull Kid isn’t even Majora!

I mean this is a terrible argument seeing as there’s
  • Ocarina of Time (but the future is more fucked up than you thought! maybe idk)
  • Wind Waker (the real Wind Waker is the friends we made along the way!)
  • Skyward Sword (it’s a sword… in the sky!!! but you can POINT IT at the sky!!! but the sword is also a robot! but it’s also…)
okay yeah everything i’m saying is 100% garbage and falling apart but I still think duality is fucking stupid

send tweet
If you look at it a bit more esoterically:

Twilight Princess: Midna is the character controlling and guiding Wolf Link; she also presides over the dimension that creates Wolf Link.

Majora's Mask: The game's key mechanic beyond the time-loop is mask-wearing, one of the main characters is a mask salesman, and the titular Majora's Mask is what causes Skull Kid to bring the moon down - thus causing the time-loop.

So they're still somewhat connected to the game's premise, even if the main gameplay 'gimmick' isn't described directly.

Here's a scenario. Breath of the Wild 2 comes out in Spring next year but there's no new hardware. Do @Dark Cloud and @Derachi

A. Walk directly into the ocean never to been again?
B. Simply implode into nothingness?
C. Become mountain monks for have sworn off videogames for the rest of their days?
D. Become indebted to crime lords who got them Steam Decks to off the black market to play Genshin Impact in a sad attempt to satisfy their hunger?

Here's a scenario. Breath of the Wild 2 comes out in Spring next year but there's no new hardware. Do @Dark Cloud and @Derachi

A. Walk directly into the ocean never to been again?
B. Simply implode into nothingness?
C. Become mountain monks for have sworn off videogames for the rest of their days?
D. Become indebted to crime lords who got them Steam Decks to off the black market to play Genshin Impact in a sad attempt to satisfy their hunger?
E. Go onto FamiBoards and talk about how on-fire things are if they still don't have That New Hardware out by then

Meteorological Spring starts March 1. Nintendo would not say "Winter 2023" because that could mean January or December, 11 months apart.

Few video games are released between winter solstice and January 1st, so that ambiguity rarely comes up.

Remember when Atlus announced SMT IV Apocalypse would have a "summer" release in North America, then came out the day before the autumnal equinox?

I ain't gonna lie - it's gonna suck if all our first playthroughs of BotW2 are gonna be 900p-at-best, slow-loading, 30fps-with-regular-drops, playthroughs. That was fine in 2017 when the Switch was new and life was good, but in 2023... ehhhh.

Personally, right now, the idea of there being multiple worlds, or transitions between sky and land, or whatever - has me thinking more "oh shit, how much loading is there gonna be?" than anything lol. SSDs have spoiled me.

So is this year going to be the greatest year for Switch or next year. I know alot of people it hinged on BotW 2 coming this year, but it’s coming next year lol. Plus you have possibly Metroid Prime 4 coming in holiday 2023.

If you look at it a bit more esoterically:

Twilight Princess: Midna is the character controlling and guiding Wolf Link; she also presides over the dimension that creates Wolf Link.

Majora's Mask: The game's key mechanic beyond the time-loop is mask-wearing, one of the main characters is a mask salesman, and the titular Majora's Mask is what causes Skull Kid to bring the moon down - thus causing the time-loop.

So they're still somewhat connected to the game's premise, even if the main gameplay 'gimmick' isn't described directly.
oh yeah no I don’t mean they’re not connected, the opposite

I’m trying to say that they like being clever or evocative with names in a way that “duality of whatever” and “hand of fate” don’t touch on

and clever about parts they don’t necessarily specify in the initial marketing

I ain't gonna lie - it's gonna suck if all our first playthroughs of BotW2 are gonna be 900p-at-best, slow-loading, 30fps-with-regular-drops, playthroughs. That was fine in 2017 when the Switch was new and life was good, but in 2023... ehhhh.

Personally, right now, the idea of there being multiple worlds, or transitions between sky and land, or whatever - has me thinking more "oh shit, how much loading is there gonna be?" than anything lol. SSDs have spoiled me.
Switch games have gotten better in that remark, specially loads times.

Few video games are released between winter solstice and January 1st, so that ambiguity rarely comes up.

Remember when Atlus announced SMT IV Apocalypse would have a "summer" release in North America, then came out the day before the autumnal equinox?
In anycase, there's zero actual reason to think "Spring 2023" means anything other than "Before the end of the Fiscal Year"

In anycase, there's zero actual reason to think "Spring 2023" means anything other than "Before the end of the Fiscal Year"
This. You can debate which day, but in the end it means before April 1, 2023. It could be March 24 because when Nintendo does say “spring” they usually mean Spring when it starts in late March.

So, end of the year for Switch looking like

September - Xenoblade 3
October - Bayonetta 3
November - Pokémon S & V

I still see a new big 3D Mario hitting in time for the movie so that could be December. Also that rumoured Metroid Prime remake could be November.

This! March is usually the month they do things that enter in the "previous year's" FY, so I think it will apply in this scenario as well.

Also, what other games do we know/kinda know that aren't dated yet? New Fire Emblem, Metroid prime trilogy and Zelda WWHD/TPHD come to mind

oh yeah no I don’t mean they’re not connected, the opposite

I’m trying to say that they like being clever or evocative with names in a way that “duality of whatever” and “hand of fate” don’t touch on

and clever about parts they don’t necessarily specify in the initial marketing
Yeah, agreed. Got a bit mixed up there lol

I think it's a fool's errand to try and guess the name, but I do think that it at the very least won't be referencing the new 'gimmicks' we've seen so far. They wouldn't be going with "The Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" for this long if the actual title made sense for what they've shown so far.

Switch games have gotten better in that remark, specially loads times.
Definitely, but it's still gonna be rough going from the near-instant load times of Horizon Forbidden West, Starfield, Elden Ring, etc to the "pls wait 30 seconds to load the new area," of last-gen.

Now we just a need another new Horizon game to launch in early spring 2023. Then the prophecy will be complete.

At least we won't have to choose between Elden Ring and BotW 2. Those are going to dominate discussions for those years.

This! March is usually the month they do things that enter in the "previous year's" FY, so I think it will apply in this scenario as well.

Also, what other games do we know/kinda know that aren't dated yet? New Fire Emblem, Metroid prime trilogy and Zelda WWHD/TPHD come to mind
There’s also the rumored DK game and Mario team been working on something.

Now we just a need another new Horizon game to launch in early spring 2023. Then the prophecy will be complete.

At least we won't have to choose between Elden Ring and BotW 2. Those are going to dominate discussions for those years.
The VR game

Horizon VR was just announced a little while ago...

Yeah, agreed. Got a bit mixed up there lol

I think it's a fool's errand to try and guess the name, but I do think that it at the very least won't be referencing the new 'gimmicks' we've seen so far. They wouldn't be going with "The Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" for this long if the actual title made sense for what they've shown so far.

Definitely, but it's still gonna be rough going from the near-instant load times of Horizon Forbidden West, Starfield, Elden Ring, etc to the "pls wait 30 seconds to load the new area," of last-gen.
lol I take it you have your hands on shiny new hardware? I’m still waiting longer for those games to load on PS4, not that I mind

I also played BotW on Wii U the first time like a lunatic so y’know

2023 is shaping to possible be another great Switch year

• Winter: Resident Evil Outrage
  • Spring: Zelda BOTW2, Nintendogs
  • Summer: Tomadochi, Fire Emblem
  • Fall: Mario 3D, Metroid Prime 4
btw, at least for me at not very mad while Bayo 3 doesn’t get delayed too lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom