• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST5 Feb. 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3

Which was your favourite announcement from the Direct?

• Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 68 14.7%
  • Nintendo Switch Sports

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 191 41.3%
  • Splatoon 3 - Salmon Run Next Wave

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass

Votes: 54 11.7%
  • EarthBound + EarthBound Beginnings on NSO

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Disney Speedstorm

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • SD Gundam Battle Alliance

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Front Mission 1st + 2 remakes

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Live A Live

Votes: 50 10.8%
  • No Man's Sky

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Portal: Companion Collection

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been taking a look at my eshop wishlist and damn, I completely forgot I still have not gotten Cyber Shadow. Wanted to pick it up on a sale, but I guess I lost track of it at some point.

In case anyone here has played it, would you recommend it to someone who enjoyed The Messenger?

I liked the Messenger a lot more than Cyber Shadow. CS feels a lot slower, more archaic, and less forgiving.

Alternatively, Cyber Shadow is more challenging, measured, and authentic to the 8-bit vision.

I finally beat Zone 4 of Crypt of the Necrodancer with Cadence for the first time. It was stressful but fun.

I unlocked a new character and the story continues but from what I'm reading the final story character is stupid hard so maybe I'll just stop playing while I'm winning lol.
Have you tried the fixed-beat mode? It basically transforms it into a different game. If you ever played any 90's turn based RPGs, where you move, and then all the enemies move, it's exactly like that. It almost turns it into a strategy game instead of a rhythm game

I liked the Messenger a lot more than Cyber Shadow. CS feels a lot slower, more archaic, and less forgiving.

Alternatively, Cyber Shadow is more challenging, measured, and authentic to the 8-bit vision.
Between combat and traversal/platforming, which would you say is the (more) challenging part? I can deal with challenging combat, but challenging platforming is the bane of my existence.

Quoted by: em
My current white-haired Maltese-Poodle is named Kirby. Love him to pieces, he's such a playful guy. I hope you had an amazing time with your girl.
Years ago my aunt and uncle had a white-haired Maltese-Poodle named Kirby, too. 😮😀
I was curious. Was hopping to name one after my cat that died a couple of weeks ago
I’m so sorry, bud. Hope things are going the best they can for you (which from follow up replies, sound like they are starting to.) It’s incredibly rough to lose a pet, so I’ll keep you in my thoughts and try to send over some good vibes.

Anyone completed the pokedex yet?
226/212/108
Also surprisingly easy to complete entries when you actually battle instead of just sneaking all the time xD

Play Doom on the doomed console

w3hUyFC.gif

How insanely young do the freshmen look?

I remember going back to my college a few years after graduating and the freshmen looked like god damn middle schoolers.
it's kind of gross, but I had that experience in my last year already

college is a gross place

Have you tried the fixed-beat mode? It basically transforms it into a different game. If you ever played any 90's turn based RPGs, where you move, and then all the enemies move, it's exactly like that. It almost turns it into a strategy game instead of a rhythm game
Only reason I can play cadence of Hyrule. I have zero rhythm

I visited my old college campus after 15 years and someone offered me one of those quad canes

How insanely young do the freshmen look?

I remember going back to my college a few years after graduating and the freshmen looked like god damn middle schoolers.
Lol, I just moved into a college town because my girlfriend was accepted to a PhD program. It’s been like decade since I graduated college so its been a riot seeing how young everyone is. I saw a huge train of people in a group just walking together presumably to lunch, not something you see much at all outside of campuses. A bit striking just how much bigger group dinners are at college towns vs regular towns.

Should I play Wolfenstein The New order or Doom 2016 ?
I'm not much of a FPS person, but I started playing Doom 2016 recently, and it's ridiculously fun.

I want to finish it before our baby is born next month because the game is really gross lol

I was able to pick up the Doom Slayers Collection on sale, which includes Doom 1, 2, 3, 64 & 2016.

That's choosing Bard, right?

I only really played with Cadence. I beat Zone 1 then with Melody but then I read about Aria and realized completing the story would be basically impossible for me so I decided to stop haha. Maybe I'll play with different characters every once in a while, but I'll consider the game "done" on my mind at least.

One of my issues is that this series does not feel like it was designed to stand on its own two legs, but rather as a Mandalorian spin-off. The Mandalorian, Season 2.5 if you will.
Really, though, it doesn't feel like it was designed to stand in conjunction with The Mandalorian either. As I said, it really seems like they didn't care enough about any of the actual Boba stuff to craft a meaningful narrative. At different points, it's seemed like there might be something they're going for, but then nothing really comes of it. It's seemed like different things meshed together, and sometimes an individual part might have something neat about it but, in the end, nothing holds weight. It's all pieces being moved around, mimicking the idea of a plot, with nothing really behind it.

It keeps saying things, paying lip service to ideas, but then not doing anything with that. He wants to lead through respect? How? Why? What does that look like? How does it impact how the world treats him? Even just that could be a starting point.
Basically. But it also seems like they did a half-hearted effort at best at making Boba a main character.
Both to do anything with him as a character or to do a plot with him, and also the different themes that could have been wrought of the character or plot but weren't.

And they started actually working toward things with him in some projects, which could be built from here, but so far there really isn't anything of that.

And if they shove that unused Clone Wars ending for his arc in here, that thing is going to feel so unearned. Just moving pieces around.

He's too nice in the show. Mando is a better Boba Fett than Boba Fett. I wasn't expecting Boba to a straight villain but I was expecting someone who was a bit more callous and cutthroat.
One thing I really hoped they wouldn't do I'd make him too much goody-two-boots. Not that
he needed to be a villain at all, but he knows what business this is.
And he and Fennec should both know how much he keeps setting himself up for assassination, when he knows someone has already tried that and presumably will try again.
Boba was at his best in The Mandalorian, where he was just another badass character in Mandalorian armor. He's great as a side character. Not a main character.
I don't think it's even that he couldn't have his own story. I don't think they ever really cared to actually give him his own story.
As an example, take Fennec Shand. Disney seems to be trying very hard to make her a thing but don't seem willing to put in the legwork to make her an actual interesting character. Which might've worked if they stuck to occasional appearances (many popular Star Wars characters have become popular with even less character) but becomes kinda obvious when given a starring role in a show. Kinda similar to the show's namesake character in that regard
It's one of those things. Even she's somehow underutilized.
Really can't believe they gave Boba flashbacks and the best they could come up with was "how boba learn use stik"
To be fair, I do think there was supposed to be more received through that -- character, theme -- but it was constructed haphazardly and nothing actually comes through properly. It seems like there should be something there, and sometimes you can maybe almost see it, but then you get closer and it seems to have been a mirage in the desert.
For real, though, the flashbacks lead to the pacing of the show being all over the place, to the point where what is supposedly the main storyline has barely advanced at all(?) since it started.
As I said, I get the impression they never particularly cared about that storyline. It was just a piece they needed put in place for whatever plans they've concocted. The plot didn't merit trying to work it into a story.

I thought The Mandalorian fell through in some different ways, and then this takes those and dials them up.

Really, though, it doesn't feel like it was designed to stand in conjunction with The Mandalorian either. As I said, it really seems like they didn't care enough about any of the actual Boba stuff to craft a meaningful narrative. At different points, it's seemed like there might be something they're going for, but then nothing really comes of it. It's seemed like different things meshed together, and sometimes an individual part might have something neat about it but, in the end, nothing holds weight. It's all pieces being moved around, mimicking the idea of a plot, with nothing really behind it.

It keeps saying things, paying lip service to ideas, but then not doing anything with that. He wants to lead through respect? How? Why? What does that look like? How does it impact how the world treats him? Even just that could be a starting point.
I agree with most of your post, but those paragraphs speak to me the most, so I will address them and drop it right there, because as cathartic as talking about this has proven to be, I see little benefit in dwelling on it much longer.

When I said it was seemingly designed as a Mandalorian spin-off, I guess what I meant is that it comes off as more of an outlet to introduce some plot ideas that are tangential to The Mandalorian, in an attempt to tide people over until Mando Season 3 is out. And instead of making a mini Season or splitting Season 3 in two parts, they decided to jumble it together with some half-baked cliffnotes for a Boba plot someone threw together on a napkin during a pool party at 3 AM.

It is as you say. Telling Boba's story is seemingly not the driving factor behind the creation of this series, and it honestly dampens whatever little enthusiasm I had in the first place for the countless other projects they have announced in their attempt to create the Galactic Cinematic Universe.

That's choosing Bard, right?

I only really played with Cadence. I beat Zone 1 then with Melody but then I read about Aria and realized completing the story would be basically impossible for me so I decided to stop haha. Maybe I'll play with different characters every once in a while, but I'll consider the game "done" on my mind at least.
Ah, I thought you were playing Cadence of Hyrule. My mistake - in CoH you can select it as an option at any time while playing with Cadence.

Okay, so sales figures are nice and all. But i really want some new exciting game announcements. I even dont know what the last good one was for me. It has to be Sora in Smash i think. Everything that came afterwards wasnt really for me ( Pokemon Legends sure is fine, but isnt an instant buy for me).

Im lucky that Yu-Gi-Oh Master Duel is a real surprise hit for me. But i really would like some good news soon.

Between combat and traversal/platforming, which would you say is the (more) challenging part? I can deal with challenging combat, but challenging platforming is the bane of my existence.

Both. The Messenger plays like a modern “retro-inspired” platformer and Cyber Shadow plays like an actual NES action-platformer.

Both. The Messenger plays like a modern “retro-inspired” platformer and Cyber Shadow plays like an actual NES action-platformer.
Thank you, this helps putting it into perspective. I still want to give it a shot eventually, but now I will be going in mentally prepared.

Years ago my aunt and uncle had a white-haired Maltese-Poodle named Kirby, too. 😮😀
Did their dog look like this little guy? He loves loafing around (preferably on a pillow of his "brother", Atticus) and being tucked into bed for cuddles.

visiting my college campus two months after graduating, ask me anything
Is the local college Subway still intact, or did they demolish and build a Firehouse Subs in its place?

Is the local college Subway still intact, or did they demolish and build a Firehouse Subs in its place?
it's still there

true story, we actually had a firehouse a little ways away, but it closed while I was attending. the one time I tried to go I walked in and I shit you not was completely ignored

I just sorta left, and within half a year they did too

it's still there

true story, we actually had a firehouse a little ways away, but it closed while I was attending. the one time I tried to go I walked in and I shit you not was completely ignored

I just sorta left, and within half a year they did too
Imagine not living up to the Firehouse name smh

My current white-haired Maltese-Poodle is named Kirby. Love him to pieces, he's such a playful guy. I hope you had an amazing time with your girl.
My Kirby was a little westie. Funnily enough, despite my love of video game Kirby, she was named after a beanie baby that my sister and I loved lol

Anyone ever make air pop at home and then drench the popcorn with olive oil and that ranch seasoning?

If not, why?

yeeeeaaaaaaahhhh better believe I got 20,000 pikmin steps today let's goo
I haven't touched the app in like 3 months, today I got a notification that Pikmin need nectar every day or else they starve.

I feel like a monster.

Did their dog look like this little guy? He loves loafing around (preferably on a pillow of his "brother", Atticus) and being tucked into bed for cuddles.

Aw what a cute guy! Yeah does look quite a bit how I remember him! Seems like your Kirby’s got his priorities straight.

I just had the fattest burrito, I feel so bloated and so good rn. Took me an hour to demolish that bad boy

I finally got back to Banjo-Kazooie after taking a break to finish Spider-Man last week. Bubblegoop Swamp, Freezeezy Peak, and Gobi Gobi Desert are knocked out. I’ve now reached the part of the game that I never got to as a kid - the last three levels are going to be completely new to me! I admit that I’ve been using some save states here and there, simply because they’re time savers. I’m gonna try not to save scum.

I’m really enjoying this playthrough. BK is such a charming experience. It really shines a light on Yooka-Laylee.. as much as I enjoyed that game, it really can’t compare to BK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom