• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST5 Feb. 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3

Which was your favourite announcement from the Direct?

• Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 68 14.7%
  • Nintendo Switch Sports

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 191 41.3%
  • Splatoon 3 - Salmon Run Next Wave

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass

Votes: 54 11.7%
  • EarthBound + EarthBound Beginnings on NSO

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Disney Speedstorm

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • SD Gundam Battle Alliance

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Front Mission 1st + 2 remakes

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Live A Live

Votes: 50 10.8%
  • No Man's Sky

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Portal: Companion Collection

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pattern repeat, no surprise since Georgia etc.
Puzzling that the EU has not found any base for discussions with Putin other then threatening with sanctions. Question remains, who is the aggressor? NATO with its east expansion or Putin with his army moves?
The aggressor is the one ordering a military invasion of another country. Not rocket science.

even though the world is a shitty place and there are horrible things happening in a lot of places every day.
it feels kinda weird talking about video games when this shit is happening in Ukraine.

even though the world is a shitty place and there are horrible things happening in a lot of places every day.
it feels kinda weird talking about video games when this shit is happening in Ukraine.
I don’t get how people can talk about games either. That fucking psycho is one NATO country away from turning this into destruction for humanity

Putin is 100% the aggressor.

I think it's fair to say NATO/the EU & UK have missed opportunities with their diplomacy... but to be brutally honest with you, there are a handful of very dangerous people with significant power dotted around the World and Putin is one of them. He'll do what he will do.

All my thoughts to Ukrainians that have to endure some horrifying shit rn. And hoping this won't turn into Cold War 2

I do feel that in the modern world, the fear of loosing political power and money is the main weakness of the Democracies and captalism at large.

Crazy people with great ambitions and weapons will do what they want if there isn't a strong response.

Unfortunatly it took more less than 30 years since the end of the cold war and we got complacent, corrupted with money and power to actualy cultivate the advances. We were "here is good, no need to fix anything".

Hopefully lightening the mood a little, a Pokémon Direct Presents is on Sunday. Hoping they announce Legends Arceus DLC.

You gotta be bonking my goblins if you think I'm getting up at 9 AM on a Sunday for that though

People like Putin are the reason we can't have nice things. Christ Jesus.

As many others have said...my thoughts go out to Ukraine and all of those negatively impacted by what's been going on today. Hopefully the situation doesn't escalate much more; I am a little nervous that it will. Putin doesn't seem like he wants to fuck around.

Fuck Putin and glory to Ukraine. But also, make sure not to doom scroll too much, it isn’t healthy. Donate what you can but don’t mindfuck yourselves into defeatism.

make sure not to doom scroll too much
Gonna echo this: Your mental health is much more important than forcing yourself to read/engage with awful world events. Unless there is something direct you can do to help, such as donate, even a small amount, make sure you take care of yourself. You might not be able to make the situation better over there, but you can make your situation better here at home, and that counts for something.

I'm going to assume positive intent and that no one is attempting to cast judgement, but I just wanted to express that I think it's fair to continue to discuss gaming topics here and that we don't know the full picture of someone's engagement with the situation. Someone may be fully active in the off-topic thread, of off-site, and prefer to keep up a boundary here or use this discussion to escape. There's no right answer here, but we can support one another. <3

I was trying to find out the cheapest way to buy Smash Ultimate digitally in the UK, and I looked at its price history on Deku Deals.

Has this game never been on sale on the eShop even once? Do people just cough up the £60? I haven't paid that much for a game probably ever.

I was trying to find out the cheapest way to buy Smash Ultimate digitally in the UK, and I looked at its price history on Deku Deals.

Has this game never been on sale on the eShop even once? Do people just cough up the £60? I haven't paid that much for a game probably ever.
I think, at some points, you got double the gold coins for buying it. But the actual monetary value has never dropped and judging by how many third party character licenses that game has to be paid for, and for how many copies that game has sold AT full price, I doubt it would make much financial sense for it to ever go on sale.

Fuck Putin and glory to Ukraine. But also, make sure not to doom scroll too much, it isn’t healthy. Donate what you can but don’t mindfuck yourselves into defeatism.
Gonna echo this: Your mental health is much more important than forcing yourself to read/engage with awful world events. Unless there is something direct you can do to help, such as donate, even a small amount, make sure you take care of yourself. You might not be able to make the situation better over there, but you can make your situation better here at home, and that counts for something.
The issue is that not being in the know feels both selfish and impossible. Maybe it's the way I work but if there's something that I feel needs my attention I find it incredibly fucking difficult to simply look away. I could force myself to stop looking or go on a break somewhere else but that feels like some privileged white-person bullshit. Fuck, I don't know.

I think I'll donate when I get paid next week anyway.

Puzzling that the EU has not found any base for discussions with Putin other then threatening with sanctions. Question remains, who is the aggressor? NATO with its east expansion or Putin with his army moves?
Ukraine hasn’t even been offered a NATO membership (there was a plan in the 00’s but that fell by the wayside) and there hasn’t been any official eastward expansion of the alliance since 2004.

This is purely about Putin trying to pull former USSR territory back into the fold by hook or crook. He’s pissy because the current Ukrainian leadership isn’t a puppet leader like the one that was ousted back in 2014 which sparked the previous incident with Ukraine. Putin made it very clear in his recent speeches that he doesn’t view Ukraine as a legitimate country.

Putin is a thug with nukes. Fuck him.

I hope that one day the whole world will experience comprehensive peace.
All my thoughts go out to Ukraine and to all the peoples of the Earth who suffer the horrors of war.
May Putin never be forgiven for what he did.

The issue is that not being in the know feels both selfish and impossible. Maybe it's the way I work but if there's something that I feel needs my attention I find it incredibly fucking difficult to simply look away. I could force myself to stop looking or go on a break somewhere else but that feels like some privileged white-person bullshit. Fuck, I don't know.

The question I always try to repeat in my mind is "what will be the result of this thinking", echoing @Derachi's sentiment about making your actions count for something. Because, you can flip what you said around as well– i.e. that's it's equally privileged to sit and stress about something that doesn't directly impact you and not actually take any action. Of course, I'm not saying that, just highlighting how I understand that it can be very difficult to get your mind on track in a situation like this.

I think you've done the right thing by setting a loose promise to yourself to donate next week, that's a tool I often use – setting a goal post for something that is out of my control so I can work to put it out of mind but know I will act on it when the time is right as I have planned. In the meantime, I know I still need to be able to focus at work today so I am disengaging with the news but plan to check in at specific times that are tolerable for me to stay up to date.

Point being, there's no right here my friend and I feel you. I'll probably swing back and forth a bit as well but hopefully I and folks here can help you navigate a bit.

I think making a difference where you can is important, and while I totally get where you're coming from, the only real difference you can make here other than a donation is to your own mental wellbeing. And please understand: taking care of your own mental health is not "privileged white person bullshit." It's important. I don't want you to think you HAVE to suffer out of some socio-mental obligation. What's going on sucks, I do not deny that one iota. But you have to prioritize making a difference where you can and your own mental wellbeing does not get exempt from that.

Please take care of yourself. Do not put your wellbeing second to something out of your control.

The invasion of Ukraine has little or nothing to do with NATO. You only need to listen to Putin's speech to learn how he feels about Ukraine and the rest of Eastern Europe as individual countries and peoples. He could not accept that USSR split apart. Remember that this all started because the Ukrainian people ousted his puppet president in 2014. Then the rebellion happened after that. It just so happens that these rebels are Russian citizens who also just happen to be part of the Russian military and also just happen to come across Russian tanks and weapons on their way to "volunteering". Russian soldiers have been coming back in body bags due "accidents during training". It's Russian soldiers with Russian AA weapons that shot down that airliner in 2015.

The only reason why there is even talk of Ukraine joining NATO is because Russian invaded the country in 2014. With these latest attacks, Putin proved every Eastern European nation that joined NATO were correct in their suspicions about Russia. They knew Russia would never recognize them as nations of their own. They're all just clients and lesser subjects to the people in Moscow.

This will be my last post for a while.
Hey, I read your post from yesterday. I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. I genuinely hope it improves.

If you ever need a social escape, the door's always open here on FamiBoards. Come chat if you'd like. You're always welcome.

The invasion of Ukraine has little or nothing to do with NATO. You only need to listen to Putin's speech to learn how he feels about Ukraine and the rest of Eastern Europe as individual countries and peoples. He could not accept that USSR split apart. Remember that this all started because the Ukrainian people ousted his puppet president in 2014. Then the rebellion happened after that. It just so happens that these rebels are Russian citizens who also just happen to be part of the Russian military and also just happen to come across Russian tanks and weapons on their way to "volunteering". Russian soldiers have been coming back in body bags due "accidents during training". It's Russian soldiers with Russian AA weapons that shot down that airliner in 2015.

The only reason why there is even talk of Ukraine joining NATO is because Russian invaded the country in 2014. With these latest attacks, Putin proved every Eastern European nation that joined NATO were correct in their suspicions about Russia. They knew Russia would never recognize them as nations of their own. They're all just clients and lesser subjects to the people in Moscow.

Sound similar to what happened to California or Texas earlier, way that maybe too long ago that noone remembers.

Then how was Ukraine defined as a country and with what intentions? What about the pro Russian areas in Ukraine? What about the promised by the West in the 1990ies?

I hate what's happening, and I think it's partly because noone want's to understand the other side.
The black and white novell of Putin is a paranoid luniac and the west is only about peace and harmony is not helping to find a peaceful solution. This only contributes in strenghtening the conflict which is shit.

Lol you think this is NATOs fault and not Putin's?!

Lol you think this is NATOs fault and not Putin's?!

I'm saying it's the fault of both sides.
Then again, who is benefitting from a war here? Russia will loose and has lost already with all the disconnects to Europe created by this conflict since the 90ies. Europe will loose not having access to cheap gas. Ukraine will loose since they are not supported by anyone.

Sound similar to what happened to California or Texas earlier, way that maybe too long ago that noone remembers.

Then how was Ukraine defined as a country and with what intentions? What about the pro Russian areas in Ukraine? What about the promised by the West in the 1990ies?

I hate what's happening, and I think it's partly because noone want's to understand the other side.
The black and white novell of Putin is a paranoid luniac and the west is only about peace and harmony is not helping to find a peaceful solution. This only contributes in strenghtening the conflict which is shit.

What does Texas and California have to do with current events? This some Trump-level whataboutism. Here's a peaceful solution. Stop the invasion and Russian gives up its occupation of a sovereign country. Speaking of 90s promises, what about Russia's promise to recognize all of these Eastern European countries as independent. Ukraine gave up its nuclear weapons to exchange for security. How's Russia keeping up its end of the bargain by invading?

You can drop the act of pretending like you are saddened by this. It's obvious that you are gleeful that the cleansing of a people and country is happening right now. So drop the act. At least have some amount of self-respect by not being a liar.

Horrifying stuff, really. Trying to keep my own health in mind, as I want to provide the best support I can to those close to me. I also feel like staying on page and keeping up to date is equally important, as well as doing what I can in terms of donations.

You mean in the 19th century? What does this have to do with an invasion today?
What are you referring to? One agreement in the 1990s - signed by Russia, the US, and UK among others - agreed that the territorial intergrity of Ukraine should be respected by all signatories, in exchange for Ukraine giving up its nuclear weapons (which it did). How's that square with what's happened over the last 8 years? As for pro-Russian areas, do you mean the areas Russia flooded with paramilitaries, mercenaries, and weaponry in 2014, in response to Ukraine's people ousting their pro-Russian president? You do realise the current Ukrainian president was backed by an overwhelming majority of the popular vote, across all regions of the country, standing on a platform for Ukrainian sovereignty and peace with Russia?

You realise that no path to NATO membership exists for Ukraine, right? Putin occupied Crimea in 2014 - countries cannot join NATO if they cannot guarantee their external borders, which, due to territorial disputes Putin enacted, Ukraine cannot. Similarly, see Moldova and Georgia - countries with breakaway territorities either sponsored by Russia, or forcibly created through war (Georgia in 2008). All to prevent these countries from applying to join NATO; so Putin's "surrounded and threatened by NATO" line is ultimately horseshit informed by a parochial 'Great Power' view of the world whereby Russia should be free to dominate its neighbours and its historical 'sphere of influence'. He'd already destabilised Ukraine enough to prevent NATO membership from happening anytime soon.
You asked whether NATO or Putin is the aggressor. Which entity is currently mounting a full-scale invasion of a country? Did you see Putin's speeches this week, where he denied Ukraine the right to exist as a sovereign state? Where he described the country with a Jewish President as being ran by Nazis? Where he argued that Lenin's acknowledgement of Ukraine as an autonomous state over a century ago was a historical mistake that needed to be corrected? That anyone who aided Ukraine - with financial or humanitarian aid, let alone weapons or military support or sanctions - would be met with punishment they'd never felt before? And that Putin alluded to Russia's nuclear arsenal when he made that threat?

Putin is an ideaologue whose ideology relies on the right of Russia to assert itself as a Great Power which can dominate and assert its say over its near-neighbours. Therefore, to him, a self-determined and democratic Ukraine is an abberation which must be brought to heel, even if that results in the deaths of tens of thousands of innocents.

Are you perhaps a little bit out of your depth on current events, and drawing parallels that are ultimately inflammatory? I don't think you're doing this intentionally, but if you're going to weigh in on the invasion of a sovereign country, you should perhaps research the background to those events a little more. And if you are intentionally being inflammatory, then you need to step back and think about how you're reacting in this moment.

I'm thinking about writing a thread later (my first thread ever) conjecturing about BOTW2s current stage of development, as a way of putting my mind on another subject for a while until i can donate to fundraisers for refugee support and so.

I feel a strong anger over Russian invasion of Ukraine, such a disgusting, unjustified attack. I was hoping to chill down with ER tommorrow, but I know I will have the war in the back of my head.

someone mentioned there being a trademark for something called "Tekken Memorial" (presumably a collection of Tekken games) in another thread (the one about what fighting games are missing on Switch) and so I made this

tekken-memorial.jpg

Wow, Starlight Coke absolutely tastes like s'mores, it's wild. Dunno that I'd get another bottle of this, but it's certainly an experience.
I know it's supposed to be space flavored, but the more I think about it, the more I think that s'mores are sometimes heavenly. So maybe they are on to something.

someone mentioned there being a trademark for something called "Tekken Memorial" (presumably a collection of Tekken games) in another thread (the one about what fighting games are missing on Switch) and so I made this

tekken-memorial.jpg
Seriously y'all are amzing on this forum. I can't even figure out how to load a picture on here, but posts like these just amaze me and put a huge smile on my face. I wish I could art like all of you, but I'm just thankful that everyone else is good at it. And now if they ever release something like this and this isn't the box art, I will be extremely disappointed.

I’d like to use my Xbox 360 wired arcade stick (Mad Catz SF IV TE FightStick) on my Switch. What’s the best way of doing this? The two options most readily available to me are the Mayflash Magic NS 1/2 and the Switch Up Game Enhancer. How do they compare for this purpose?

Last edited:
It sucks feeling so helpless on the other side of the world, and yet still feeling guilty for feeling relatively safe from the physical distance away from Russia.

I agree it can feel rather flippant to just talk about games while a real humanitarian crisis develops, but the doomscrolling got to me on just about every social media site and I feel like there's nothing I can do to really distract myself for the sake of my mental health.

My heart breaks for the people and culture of Ukraine, and I really, really want to believe that this can be de-escalated without further bloodshed and these troops are recalled within Russia's officially recognized borders.

Imagine removing the opening credits to Final Fantasy VI. I know the mech crawl through the snow is still there, but honestly.

Could you just not resist the chance to butcher the game a little bit, Squeenix?

Yeah I am just trying to hold it together for the sake of my mental health

I am hoping ti beat Chrono trigger this evening. Game has been a nice distraction
Great thing about CT is if you beat it and still need a distraction, there are 13 or so additional endings you can replay it for. 👍

This remaster is sounding like it took too many liberties in my book.

Hopefully they patch that back in. Although to be honest I think when I first played the game I skipped through the opening credits scene because I didn’t notice that the landscape was changing and thought it was just an infinite loop. Not showing the approach to Narshe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom