• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST4 Jan. 2022| Resurrections

The next Switch model will be called...

• Nintendo Switch 2

Votes: 40 23.5%
  • Nintendo Switch Pro

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Nintendo Switch 4k

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Nintendo Switch U

• Nintendo Switch +

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nintendo Switch Max

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Nintendo Switch Up

• New Nintendo Switch

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Nintendo Switch Advance

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Super Nintendo Switch

Votes: 53 31.2%
  • Nintendo Switch Super

• Nintendo Switchxty Four

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Nintendo Switchcube

• Nintendo Swiitch

• Nintendo Change

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nintendo Modify

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nintendo Adjust

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Nintendo Wii U 2

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Switch Plus

Votes: 5 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know or really care whether or not Mario Kart 9 will be on the Switch, but I do remember a time when people said Splatoon 3 wouldn't be on the Switch.

Not only does Youtube use lossy compression, but sometimes the audio is compressed in the game as well. I've seen instances where game OST CDs are higher quality and sometimes even mixed a bit better than the songs in the game itself. Not saying that's always the case, but I've seen it done. If you're concerned about quality the CDs are probably the way to go.
Interesting. Sounds like a compelling argument to delve into the wonderful (and expensive) rabbit hole of video game soundtrack collecting.

Not a particular fan of either series, but I am rooting for Pokemon Legends and Kirby this year. Change direction and do good things, oh comfortable old friends.
This is my line of thinking with Kirby as well. I love Pokemon though.

The thing I dislike about this take, and all takes similar to it, is that those fans who were there day 1 are likely not still playing it, and haven’t had a new title to enjoy in 5-8 years. Not everything is about new owners.

okay, so sell me on Banjo Kazooie

I love the shit out of the DKC trilogy but everything I’ve heard and seen about the direction Rare went with 3D kinda sounds… deeply annoying to me.

plus the prevalence of extremely grody indigenous caricatures in video games and media really, really puts me off

I love 3D platformers, and I grew up with the N64, so by most accounts this game is a must-play

but… I’m deeply skeptical

I love the shit out of the DKC trilogy but everything I’ve heard and seen about the direction Rare went with 3D kinda sounds… deeply annoying to me.

plus the prevalence of extremely grody indigenous caricatures in video games and media really, really puts me off

I love 3D platformers, and I grew up with the N64, so by most accounts this game is a must-play

It has a bear in shorts with a bird inside his backpack. That's it. That's all the convincing you need.

It has a bear in shorts with a bird inside his backpack. That's it. That's all the convincing you need.
if that was all the convincing I needed, I’d already be convinced!

but I’m still peering into the mist with narrowed eyes

there are lots of objects with googly eyes

I think Banjo Kazooie is great as a game - a fun 3D collectathon with good level design and controls.

But there's no doubt that Mumbo Jumbo (and Humba Wumba in the sequel) are absolutely, unabashedly racist. Like not subtle at all. If that's the line you draw, then yeah, you might be put off.

One of the best 2D franchises ever making its 3D debut vs another nostalgia ridden 2D DK game with uninspired mine cart levels? Choice is clear for me, King Kirby will claim his crown (come to think of it, we need a king power up for Kirby).
Hmmm, we don't know if DK is 2D for sure yet, right? Just was hinted at.

Interesting. Sounds like a compelling argument to delve into the wonderful (and expensive) rabbit hole of video game soundtrack collecting.
Btw some soundtracks are available in lossless digital formats like FLAC though. Maybe not as fun as having a physical one though :p

The Hades' one has a FLAC option as an example

I just use Spotify though so dunno how much of a difference they make :p also I think to some degree the speakers / earphones themselves could become the quality bottleneck, which is another rabbit hole of its own :p

imagine Mario 64 with a good camera and better controls

and better everything, really

For me the appeal of Banjo-Kazooie is, in retrospect, that it's a platformer that basically treats every objective in a similar way to an adventure game. It's kind of the game that made me love 3D platformers and it took a while to find one that made me feel just as happy playing it, and even then it played completely differently. There's really not any "collect-a-thon" that plays like Banjo that I could think of.

It's not about having a complex moveset unlike the exploration 3D Mario games, but because of this it allows the developers to create more hand-crafted challenges. Every objective is a story, whether it be narrative through gameplay or a little sidequest for the duo to go through. You'll find yourself just as interested in how doing certain activities will give you more context into the world you'll be visiting as you will actually getting the collectibles. The worlds have a lot of charm because there is a constant stream of context given to it. There is a very real sense of place that is often missed out by platformers like Mario 64 (for the most part).

The game has become famous for being a collect-a-thon, but I think that can be a bit misleading to some people given how poorly Rare (supposedly) and other developers (I'd even argue Nintendo) manage collect-a-thon elements in their games. A lot of the collecting in Banjo is very much main-path stuff even if there is a lot of optional stuff to collect. I think it's much better tailored as a collect-a-thon game than even games which block progression less.

I haven't played that much of Tooie, nor any of DK64, but I'll just say there's a reason the collect-a-thon elements of those games are sort of infamous (particularly DK), and not so for Kazooie. You can have so much fun with the game just doing main path stuff.

Nobody's going to be able to decide for you if you want to tolerate the indigenous character, but if you're asking if the game is good despite that, I'd say yes, it's really really good

It has nowhere near the ridiculous backtracking problems of DK64, and the level design is impeccable

The characters (including that one) are funny and endearing, especially the few that actually can stand up to Kazooie's aggressive insults

Another good thing about the game is some of the best levels are near the end. Click Clock Woods is such a great level to go out on

I'll also just say that Banjo-Kazooie has one of the best winter themes in any video game, and probably my favorite snow level ever.

So it's very ... uhm ... topical!

Not only does Youtube use lossy compression, but sometimes the audio is compressed in the game as well. I've seen instances where game OST CDs are higher quality and sometimes even mixed a bit better than the songs in the game itself. Not saying that's always the case, but I've seen it done. If you're concerned about quality the CDs are probably the way to go.
As an avid music collector with quite the big videogame OST collection on CD as well as vinyl too, it is extemely noticeble. Atlus with digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 and Nocturne is very typical of this.

jVA5uh3.jpg

hope this helps

it's 100% the reason why people play it

they don't like mario's relatively small eyes

For me the appeal of Banjo-Kazooie is, in retrospect, that it's a platformer that basically treats every objective in a similar way to an adventure game. It's kind of the game that made me love 3D platformers and it took a while to find one that made me feel just as happy playing it, and even then it played completely differently. There's really not any "collect-a-thon" that plays like Banjo that I could think of.

It's not about having a complex moveset unlike the exploration 3D Mario games, but because of this it allows the developers to create more hand-crafted challenges. Every objective is a story, whether it be narrative through gameplay or a little sidequest for the duo to go through. You'll find yourself just as interested in how doing certain activities will give you more context into the world you'll be visiting as you will actually getting the collectibles. The worlds have a lot of charm because there is a constant stream of context given to it. There is a very real sense of place that is often missed out by platformers like Mario 64 (for the most part).

The game has become famous for being a collect-a-thon, but I think that can be a bit misleading to some people given how poorly Rare (supposedly) and other developers (I'd even argue Nintendo) manage collect-a-thon elements in their games. A lot of the collecting in Banjo is very much main-path stuff even if there is a lot of optional stuff to collect. I think it's much better tailored as a collect-a-thon game than even games which block progression less.

I haven't played that much of Tooie, nor any of DK64, but I'll just say there's a reason the collect-a-thon elements of those games are sort of infamous (particularly DK), and not so for Kazooie. You can have so much fun with the game just doing main path stuff.
so, if I’m reading this right, it doesn’t really have a robust core moveset it relies on, but has many crafted sort-of quests that grant a temporary item or ability to tell a story?

kinda like how stories are woven in Majora’s Mask without keeping the masks?

or did I read that wrong?

that does sound intriguing

I'm a sad corvid.
I’ll always have my memory of watching the super bowl parade and witnessing all of the fans destroy the barricades when Ray Lewis went by to accompany him to the stadium. If Jackson isn’t hurt the past month, I imagine they win one of those games.

Me playing Ring Fit today: “Alright, Drageaux stage time, I think I’ve got enough left in me to do that!”

Ring Fit: “Okay, but before that have like 37 windmill gates!”

I don't know or really care whether or not Mario Kart 9 will be on the Switch, but I do remember a time when people said Splatoon 3 wouldn't be on the Switch.
I don't think that was really an outlandish opinion. Nintendo typically only stuck to one entry of their big multiplayer franchises per hardware. It could've gone either way

Me playing Ring Fit today: “Alright, Drageaux stage time, I think I’ve got enough left in me to do that!”

Ring Fit: “Okay, but before that have like 37 windmill gates!”
Fuck me I remember that stage. I barely made it through
Still need to go kick Drageaux's butt, I dropped the game towards the end

Banjo Kazooie basically took the template that Mario 64 forged, and improved on it in practically every way, from controls to variety to world building.

It's a masterpiece of its era and holds up better than about 95% of 3D games from its time. I still revisit it every few years to this day and it while the graphics have obviously aged, it has lost none of its lovable charm.

It's one of those games I'd say any serious gamer should experience at least once, much like Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime, or Mario 64.

Banjo Kazooie basically took the template that Mario 64 forged, and improved on it in practically every way, from controls to variety to world building.

It's a masterpiece of its era and holds up better than about 95% of 3D games from its time. I still revisit it every few years to this day and it while the graphics have obviously aged, it has lost none of its lovable charm.
This. Literally the only cons to it I can think of are losing notes when you die (this sucks, and would be fixed in Tooie and the Xbox version) and some of the very 90s-era humor and attitudes having not aged super well, mostly the racist indigenous characters like @Suswave said.

Gameplay-wise, it’s one of the tightest and just most outright-fun games I know of. And the music is catchy as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom