• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST30 Mar. 2024| Famiboards Town-Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
If “Final Fantasy is for old people” then what’s Mario, Zelda, Sonic, and Pokémon’s excuse?

Well, one of them now almost only focuses on presentation, while the rest of the "game" is being done in a "throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks" approach.
The others redefine, evolve, reinvent but never lose focus of the core of the games, and they have developers remember that there's more to a game than presentation and spectacle.

Personally, i would also put Sonic in the FF team and not in the other team. ;D

Last edited:
Well, one of them now almost only focuses on presentation, while the rest of the "game" is being done in a "throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks" approach.
The others redefine, evolve, reinvent but never lose focus of the core of the games, and they have developers remember that there's more to a game than presentation and spectacle.

Hey now.

Rebirth is the most game of all time. No scare quotes necessary!

If “Final Fantasy is for old people” then what’s Mario, Zelda, Sonic, and Pokémon’s excuse?
They're for old people as well but young people can make time for them. FF is just at the bottom of that list lol

I still retain the theory that the late gen z and alpha game much less than millennials. I have like 30-40 teens and tweens in my Switch friend list and they hardly play anything other than Minecraft/Fortnite/Apex trio.

Lowkey both FF and Sonic have the similar issue of just throwing shit at the wall and hoping things stick... and when things accidentally do stick, they still throw everything out of the window anyway, for better and worse 👀

I still retain the theory that the late gen z and alpha game much less than millennials. I have like 30-40 teens and tweens in my Switch friend list and they hardly play anything other than Minecraft/Fortnite/Apex trio.
This certainly tracks with what I’ve observed of my SO’s two kids. They’re playing Geometry Dash and Fortnite in between Pokemon and Mario Kart updates and the rare new title. Like that’s all I hear about from them.

So they’re buying fewer games but still gaming plenty.

This certainly tracks with what I’ve observed of my SO’s two kids. They’re playing Geometry Dash and Fortnite in between Pokemon and Mario Kart updates and the rare new title. Like that’s all I hear about from them.

I've observed that with my nephews. They usually rely on me to introduce them to something different (no I don't force them, we have weekly-ish gaming sessions on NSO) otherwise they stick to Roblox, FNAF achievement hunting, Sonic Dash, or just Pokemon.

They game plenty, but they don't really explore. Fair enough though, the games they do play have enough content to last a lifetime, or until they get bored.

But they are plenty receptive trying out new things when introduced to them. I did a 3rd playthrough of Banjo-Kazooie introducing my 3rd youngest to the game and we beat it all the way.

I've observed that with my nephews. They usually rely on me to introduce them to something different (no I don't force them, we have weekly-ish gaming sessions on NSO) otherwise they stick to Roblox, FNAF achievement hunting, Sonic Dash, or just Pokemon.

They game plenty, but they don't really explore. Fair enough though, the games they do play have enough content to last a lifetime, or until they get bored.

But they are plenty receptive trying out new things when introduced to them. I did a 3rd playthrough of Banjo-Kazooie introducing my 3rd youngest to the game and we beat it all the way.

You have the divine obligation to introduce those kids to fun games like Unicorn Overlord and Dragons Dogma 2.

sheesh the storm coming in tonight is gonna be wild. Work could get a foot or so of snow. Thankfully less than that at my place tho XD. Gotta run over the hill real quick after work tho, some stuff I need to grab before the storm comes in

You have the divine obligation to introduce those kids to fun games like Unicorn Overlord and Dragons Dogma 2.
I don’t know how you think you’re gonna sell kids on Unicorn Overlord when you can’t even sell me — a miserable old SNES-reared millennial intent on trying several different kinds of games in the name of “research” — on it

the logo’s just too ugly, I can’t fuckin’ do it

I don’t know how you think you’re gonna sell kids on Unicorn Overlord when you can’t even sell me — a miserable old SNES-reared millennial intent on trying several different kinds of games in the name of “research” — on it

the logo’s just too ugly, I can’t fuckin’ do it

But it has werewolves wearing kilts. Werewolves with kilts!

seriously I tried to google “Toronto Bagpiper” to identify the hairy little man I see most often but there are literally too many results to narrow it down

we’re fuckin’ lousy with ‘em

you amble day or night and you’re bound to hear one wailin’

But you can't put them into your squads and fight enemies with them on tumblr!
yes you can, with arguably higher stakes

that’s the art of prose on a site dedicated to snowballing shitposts back and forth out of control

foiled again by a single person younger than me liking something that I find unfathomably cringe…

Yes, thats's what I remember too. I recommend this book I read for everyone interested in Sega:

images.png
Sega leaving the console business legit made consoles so much more boring. I legit hope one day sega comes back. Sega and Nintendo are the only console makers that i like. Xbox and Playstation are boring machines with boring games and boring marketing by giant tech behemoths. Sega and Nintendo were video game companies that made video game consoles. Now only Nintendo remains.

Please for the love of god can we have Playstation and Xbox go under and idk maybe Capcom or some actual video game companies makes a console.
Or have Sega come back please. I hate the modern console market so bad. Please come back Sega we need you!

It's totally a zoomer phrase, no matter how much wine and pizza energy it has, it's way too recent. I feel like internet culture left millennials behind a decade ago. It's already starting to be taken over by gen alpha, rizz gyatt skibidi!
if true, it’s the most millennial thing I’ve heard y’all say.

welcome to cringe, fuckos! we all end up here eventually!

skibidi thoughts and skibidi prayers for the next wave

Every kid I see only has an ipad and they just watch youtube shorts brainrot lol

Well, my eldest daughter, who's of course younger than me, does think i'm walking talking cringe.

._.
we’re supposed to be cringe god dammit!

if we were meant to be the cool und hip ur-culture for all time, we would choke out everything after us — poison the soil

you’re not supposed to stay cool! and fuck, we never were, unfairly maligned or not. you wanna be salty about it, you’re at home in the ocean. maybe a lighthouse is more your speed!

embrace the freedom of being a past-due shitshow. stop trying to be relevant, just be you. if there’s no you without relevance, I’d argue you picked poorly — but it’s not too late to pick again.

fighting for control of an age that’s no longer about you is how you kill the world. if anyone should know that, it’s us!

point is, your daughter is right! and thank fucking god — that’s how it should be!

Every kid I see only has an ipad and they just watch youtube shorts brainrot lol
every kid I see only has a flip phone and they just text their friends, brainrot lol

every kid I see only watches flash animations on funny junk dot com and eats pop tarts, brainrot lol

every kid I see only has an iPod and can’t do anything without listening to music, brainrot lol

every kid I see only plays their Nintendo with the little Mario man non-stop, brainrot lol

every kid I see only has a walkman and they just listen to tapes all the time, brainrot lol

you uh

you see how this works?

Kids these days are pretty dang receptive of stuff other than youtube shorts if you get past the intial apathy and are pretty fun creative geniuses.

They certainly have cooler toys than I ever did.

giphy.gif

Gonna wear my Santalorian t-shirt this evening to make me feel better.
look bud you should feel honored and proud that your kid is cooler than you

it means you’ve done a good job

in fact, @Bonejack, if you want to make things interesting, you should tell her that you’re proud of her for being cooler than you

Nah, don't want the Mrs. to be angry with me if i tease the grumpy teenager too much.
yikes who said anything about teasing

edit: wait are you also saying the only thing keeping you from teasing your daughter is your wife?!

every kid I see only has a flip phone and they just text their friends, brainrot lol

every kid I see only watches flash animations on funny junk dot com and eats pop tarts, brainrot lol

every kid I see only has an iPod and can’t do anything without listening to music, brainrot lol

every kid I see only plays their Nintendo with the little Mario man non-stop, brainrot lol

every kid I see only has a walkman and they just listen to tapes all the time, brainrot lol

you uh

you see how this works?
Tried to put a Subway Surfers gif in the corner so I could read all this, but they don't make any websites that do that...

I meant like heartfelt lmao

like maybe it wouldn’t read at first or be a like “shut it old man” sitch initially, but like

y’know

might stick with her? might be nice to have later? might improve your relationship?

idk maybe I’m just projecting wanting my own parent to have said something like that ever…

yikes who said anything about teasing

edit: wait are you also saying the only thing keeping you from teasing your daughter is your wife?!

Well if i would say what you suggested, even in the most sincere, serious and honest way, to her, she would take it as me teasing her and get angry.

And no, my wife is not the only thing that keeps me from teasing her, common sense is too. Why does it sound you're thinking i'm constantly teasing my daughter? If anything, it's her two siblings who tease her constantly, but that's just the life of an elder sibling.

lmao I’m 32
You have a much more youthful energy than me, insofar as I've seen you conjure magic with your musical prowess and game development chops.

The only magic I conjure anymore is math magic, and most folks aren't interested in seeing my tricks!

Well if i would say what you suggested, even in the most sincere, serious and honest way, to her, she would take it as me teasing her and get angry.

And no, my wife is not the only thing that keeps me from teasing her, common sense is too. Why does it sound you're thinking i'm constantly teasing my daughter? If anything, it's her two siblings who tease her constantly, but that's just the life of an elder sibling.
I meant like heartfelt lmao

like maybe it wouldn’t read at first or be a like “shut it old man” sitch initially, but like

y’know

might stick with her? might be nice to have later? might improve your relationship?

idk maybe I’m just projecting wanting my own parent to have said something like that ever…

^ this is what I meant

and I mean if you think sincerity would come across to her as teasing… maybe that suggests that now is really the time to try and make room for sincerity, even if it’s difficult, even if it takes more tries to get right.

don’t just let it be. please.

it matters. and it will matter. and I’m not trying to tell you what to do about your life but when I think of all of the ways my relationship with people in the broad “parent-type” category could have been different… the difference some sincerity could have made. more room for sincerity. ever hearing that they were proud of me.

being a teen sucks shit and it lays some crucial groundwork for how you feel about the rest of your life. she sounds like she’s going through the wringer, and of course she is.

that’s all.

there’s still time for you.

but less than you think.

whether you take my advice or not — I hope space for sincerity comes for you two.

You should use math to explain how to summon demons with magic squares, the kids'll love that
If you thought American parents were up in arms about right wing bogeymen like CRT, just wait until they see a class of middle schoolers berthing Lovecraftian horrors with their calculators.

Random thoughts this morning:

BotW and TotK turned Zelda into an immersive sim!

Thank you for coming to my TED talk. Please enjoy the complimentary breakfast in the lobby.
The "excuse" is probably that they don't primarily focus on making games for 30+ year olds. Goes a long way...

No! If they play that, they might ask questions like "What's a Sega CD?" And then I'll have to explain Night Trap! What a disaster!
Nah, more like they'll have to explain what CDs are, and then get sad

all I need to do to see a werewolf in a kilt is open tumblr or walk up Lansdowne
This is such a fantastic post, goddamn

Look, I'm my own age and sometimes I think I'm a walking talking cringe. It's the circle of life, embrace it.
People have been cringing at me ever since I was a kid, so it's definitely not simply a generational thing. Some of us simply are.

Sega leaving the console business legit made consoles so much more boring. I legit hope one day sega comes back. Sega and Nintendo are the only console makers that i like. Xbox and Playstation are boring machines with boring games and boring marketing by giant tech behemoths. Sega and Nintendo were video game companies that made video game consoles. Now only Nintendo remains.

Please for the love of god can we have Playstation and Xbox go under and idk maybe Capcom or some actual video game companies makes a console.
Or have Sega come back please. I hate the modern console market so bad. Please come back Sega we need you!
I forget which thread I said it in but the other day I realized I'd love to have Sega at least do accessories like controllers and such. I loved their bigger controllers, always way more comfy for my hands and wrists, and if I could play a Nintendo system with a big cool modern Sega controller I'd just squeal.

As far as them coming fully back into the console space, I could see them making a move if Xbox really does shift more towards being a storefront than a "console." I could totally see myself having a Nintendo system for the hybrid ability and the Mario/Zelda/Square goodness, then a nice Sega stationary console that can do their own software plus the omg-graphics third party games.

Basically I could see Sega slot in where Xbox kinda has been for this gen, and maybe ride the storm better by not blowing so much dough on corporate buyouts and shit. Just make cool, creative first-party games like the Dreamcast days and have a solid platform for other devs to build PC/PS-level games for, voila.

And a really cool, comfy controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom