• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST30 Mar. 2024| Famiboards Town-Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
2024033017231700-483-C6-BBED1-D1438-BF0-CAEDD31329-B90-E.jpg

Send help, I'm playing Mario Golf and I got sent to the Creepypasta Dimension.

you all kill these pretty early now, right? I don't really mind. thanks again for having me. I don't have any plans for a big final post so whenever the new one is out feel free to close this thread

We don’t really have a thread on it so I’ll post here. I’ve been playing Pepper Grinder today and just finished the first two worlds. The game says I’m roughly 25% complete a little over an hour in. If you thought it looked fun from the Indie World and Partner Showcase it was in, it certainly is! The core controls feel tight and snappy and at least so far the levels and boss fights have some good variety and I’m having fun collecting all of the gold coins in each level. I’m bouncing between a couple of games at the moment due to my original launch Switch battery needing to be replaced and some of the quirks revolving around that (it shipped early which is good, now I need to drain the battery to help optimize it), but yeah I think Pepper Grinder is my favorite of the bunch I’m playing currently.

We don’t really have a thread on it so I’ll post here. I’ve been playing Pepper Grinder today and just finished the first two worlds. The game says I’m roughly 25% complete a little over an hour in. If you thought it looked fun from the Indie World and Partner Showcase it was in, it certainly is! The core controls feel tight and snappy and at least so far the levels and boss fights have some good variety and I’m having fun collecting all of the gold coins in each level. I’m bouncing between a couple of games at the moment due to my original launch Switch battery needing to be replaced and some of the quirks revolving around that (it shipped early which is good, now I need to drain the battery to help optimize it), but yeah I think Pepper Grinder is my favorite of the bunch I’m playing currently.

There must be a collector gene in my family. My son will not throw away even the most superfluous of packaging! He opens toys, sure, but he’ll keep the containers for weeks at a time. He even puts Hot Wheels back into their packaging if he wants them to watch TV with him!

Happy Buy A Trans Woman a Pizza Day!

Happy Buy A Trans Woman a Pizza Day!
the world at large has taken our visibility for granted, so I have a lot of mixed feelings about today

especially when visibility without accountability puts targets on our backs in an increasingly worse time for us, by peers and law

all that to say:

if you’re buying a trans woman a pizza today, don’t forget to buy a trans man a knife and a trans non-binary person some like good good take-out ramen

Las-t T-Square T-Marked Pos-t
T-Square T-10

Before this thread concludes I'd like to present one final T-Square post.

Despite what I'm calling them, these aren't my top ten favorite T-Square pieces or anything. Instead I'm highlighting a few that I think I've not previously shown off and show new sides to the sounds of the group's various eras.

Midnight Dreamer

This record was a collaboration with several New York City jazz musicians to perform previously recorded material. This arrangement of Night Dreamer is fantastic, imbuing one of my favorite pieces with a new swagger.

Final Drop Goal

This is a great performance that I'm sharing in the interest of trivia: Michael Brecker sits in on tenor!

Papillon Cajan Style

A lot of my favorite T-Square performances leverage doubling of the guitar and saxophone or EWI to great effect, and I think this is the best example of it.

Giant Side Steps

This is a great upbeat piece led by a wind synth that I feel is overlooked in favor of more intense peers.

Hard-Boiled

I really like this piece, which I feel leans into a straighter jazz sound than much of T-Square's work. It reminds me fleetingly of mid-80s Steps Ahead.

Arcadia

Here is sort of the opposite: a very rock-oriented piece that is also led by a wind synth. I really love this one.

Faces

Here's a similar piece that I similarly love.

Traffic Jam

This recording sounds very contemporary to me, especially that clean intro. I'm curious to see if anyone else agrees.

Fly! Fly! Fly!

I love this track, which offers a pretty different sound with a very upbeat mood.

Climax

Finally, here's the latest prototypical T-Square anthem, which I think serves as an excellent addition to the collection alongside pieces like Truth and (maybe?) Senkou.

BONUS: VG BGM SOUNDALIKES
Per @chocolate_supra's request (I think?), here's a collection of T-Square pieces that sound like video game music. I'm sure it isn't comprehensive.

Super Mario Bros. theme, Super Mario
Sister Marian

Mute City, F-Zero
Your Christmas

Guile's theme, Street Fighter
Travelers

Press Garden Zone Act 1, Sonic the Hedgehog
Sabana Hotel

AND FINALLY, THE MOST INCREDIBLE OF ALL:

Moon Over the Castle, Gran Turismo
Knight's Song

Before a riot breaks out, Masahiro Andoh of T-Square was the composer of Gran Turismo 2. This isn't a soundalike, it's reusing one's own work.

BONUS CHALLENGE (SLASH SANITY CHECK)
Drop Goal

There is one tiny section of this recording that reminds me of a Nintendo recording. I may have posted about it, but in the interest of the challenge I'm hoping I haven't: please listen carefully and try to identify what I'm talking about! If no one hears it, I'll be forced to hang up my music comparison hat forever. Good luck.

T-Square T-10

Despite what I'm calling them, these aren't my top ten favorite T-Square pieces or anything. Instead I'm highlighting a few that I think I've not previously shown off and show new sides to the sounds of the group's various eras.

Midnight Dreamer

This record was a collaboration with several New York City jazz musicians to perform previously recorded material. This arrangement of Night Dreamer is fantastic, imbuing one of my favorite pieces with a new swagger.

Final Drop Goal

This is a great performance that I'm sharing in the interest of trivia: Michael Brecker sits in on tenor!

Papillon Cajan Style

A lot of my favorite T-Square performances leverage doubling of the guitar and saxophone or EWI to great effect, and I think this is the best example of it.

Giant Side Steps

This is a great upbeat piece led by a wind synth that I feel is overlooked in favor of more intense peers.

Hard-Boiled

I really like this piece, which I feel leans into a straighter jazz sound than much of T-Square's work. It reminds me fleetingly of mid-80s Steps Ahead.

Arcadia

Here is sort of the opposite: a very rock-oriented piece that is also led by a wind synth. I really love this one.

Faces

Traffic Jam

This recording sounds very contemporary to me, especially that clean intro. I'm curious to see if anyone else agrees.

Fly! Fly! Fly!

I love this track, which offers a pretty different sound with a very upbeat mood.

Climax

Finally, here's the latest prototypical T-Square anthem, which I think serves as an excellent addition to the collection alongside pieces like Truth and (maybe?) Senkou.

Per @chocolate_supra's request (I think?), here's a collection of T-Square pieces that sound like video game music. I'm sure it isn't comprehensive.

Sister Marian

Mute City, F-Zero
Your Christmas

Travelers

Sabana Hotel

Knight's Song

Before a riot breaks out, Masahiro Andoh of T-Square was the composer of Gran Turismo 2. This isn't a soundalike, it's reusing one's own work.

Drop Goal

There is one tiny section of this recording that reminds me of a Nintendo recording. I may have posted about it, but in the interest of the challenge I'm hoping I haven't: please listen carefully and try to identify what I'm talking about! If no one hears it, I'll be forced to hang up my music comparison hat forever. Good luck.

what an incredible post for the last day of thread. beautiful! masterful!!

I’ll be going through each of these and chewing on them throughout the day — all the context and intrigue is a fucking gift.

thank you for this especially on T-Square Day of Visibility wait a minute…

if anybody wants to skip to the holy shit moment this thread has been building towards all month check out knight's song

Hello, everyone! Fancy morning to everyone~

Gonna make myself breakfast in a bit and am currently downloading Astral Chain~

I was doing my daily 7km run, I slipped on a wet part of the sidewalk, broke a tooth and my lower back is hurting terribly.

It was supposed to be a 30min exercise and now I'll be stuck in bed to whole day and with a fucking expensive dentist bill to pay tomorrow.

Happy Mario Day to everyone :(
21 days later, and tomorrow I'll finally get a new tooth put in. The tooth's root needed to heal for three weeks but apparently, everything is ready for the implant now. Thank God.

my knowledge of Nintendo music is something of a limitation here, but the opening bassline immediately had me think of Mario Kart DS for some reason. I can’t find exactly what I was thinking, but I swear it’s in something…

Also right before that guitar solo towards the end I had a fleeting recognition too. but I couldn’t quite place it…

my knowledge of Nintendo music is something of a limitation here, but the opening bassline immediately had me think of Mario Kart DS for some reason. I can’t find exactly what I was thinking, but I swear it’s in something…

Also right before that guitar solo towards the end I had a fleeting recognition too. but I couldn’t quite place it…
you're not thinking what I'm thinking I'm afraid...

maybe @VolcanicDynamo could lend an ear?

if anybody wants to skip to the holy shit moment this thread has been building towards all month check out knight's song
not only is Knight’s Song absolutely what you said…

that first minute is the Skyward Sword melody

possibly meaning that Zelda’s lullaby was always that backwards

fuck it came out a YEAR before Ocarina of Time!!!!

edit: I’ve gotten to the hardcore chorus and I still stand by it

Last edited:
There's a guitar riff(?) towards the beginning that sounds pretty Bowser-y to me. Maybe the opening to Yoshi's Island final boss?

There's also a bit in the middle that's kinda giving "Wii/DS era UI or homescreen" vibes but I can't quite place it

No, no, Zelda's Lullaby is from Plantasia.

Also latter day Mario Kart (DS on) would be my best guess for Drop Goal too, though if you ask me the impression it gives is way more 90's Sonic than it is Nintendo.

Dating myself here, but T-Square was among my childhood favorites. I even saved up to buy a LaserDisc of their concert. Thanks @Raccoon for reintroducing me to their music. I did not know that they have a resurgence in recent years.

Sister Marian

Mute City, F-Zero
Your Christmas

Travelers

Sabana Hotel

Knight's Song

aaaaaaayyyyy thanks bud!!!

Drop Goal

The synth between 0:06 and 0:08 reminds me of SNES Rainbow Road, not that I assume that's what you're talking about but damn I love SNES Rainbow Road

Haven't posted that much, but again it's because I've been engrossed so much in a game that I haven't had much time for forum-going.

That game being Sekiro. On the final boss and holy shit this game is tough. Fair, and incredibly - ridiculously - satisfying to conquer... but tough. I'm taking a break from it because after two ultra-hard bosses in a single day, a third was literally giving me headaches lol.

No, no, Zelda's Lullaby is from Plantasia.

Also latter day Mario Kart (DS on) would be my best guess for Drop Goal too, though if you ask me the impression it gives is way more 90's Sonic than it is Nintendo.

shit

so true

could be both though

like I would be shocked if someone didn’t have Knight’s Song in mind making the Skyward Sword theme

hmmmmmm. still trying to parse it out…

certainly a lot of Super Mario 64-style choices in it, like that “underwater” keyboard and metal mario clanks

I just bought the physical edition of Okami and Grandia HD on Switch. Feels good to have physical access to these classics again 😄

T-Square T-10

Midnight Dreamer

Final Drop Goal

Papillon Cajan Style

Giant Side Steps

Hard-Boiled

Arcadia

Faces

Traffic Jam

Fly! Fly! Fly!

Climax

Sister Marian

Mute City, F-Zero
Your Christmas

Travelers

Sabana Hotel

Knight's Song

Drop Goal

Thank you for getting me into this band, man. This stuff rules!

So I’ve been getting into my gaming PC for the past month. When it comes to certain games, like Baldur’s Gate 3, it’s definitely my preferred way to play. Since I’ll always need a computer for one reason or another, I’ll probably just stick with gaming rigs over laptops going forward
Have you, then, only used gaming laptops so far?
Personally, I’ve been using a gaming laptop for almost four years at this point (in addition to my other devices, including a desktop PC not meant for gaming), but will probably switch to a MacBook for my laptop in the next few months, and build a dedicated gaming desktop this time around as a means to both work on and play on when at home. The experiences I’ve had with both gaming laptops as well as PC handhelds have made me realise that neither category is really what I’m looking for. Mobile x86 hardware doesn’t really appeal to me any longer, I’d ideally want everything portable to be ARM based. The latter usually goes hand in hand with less heat, noise, weight, better battery life, … — all things I value a lot in mobile devices. x86 hardware and Windows for that matter is totally fine in my eyes, but mostly when I’m using them at my work desk at home, not when I’m out and about. My gaming laptop has proven to be a trusty companion for the most part, but the general design, the dimensions, the heat, and especially the battery life are such a far cry from what a MacBook can offer… With how much productivity tasks I’m doing on there lately, it just feels like I’m putting up with drawbacks without any real benefit to make up for it.

Sorry, that got kinda long, lmao. It’s just something I’ve been pondering for a while at this point, and due to the fact that I regularly have to work with these devices, it’s been getting increasingly … well, kind of irritating to me, haha.

Have you, then, only used gaming laptops so far?
Personally, I’ve been using a gaming laptop for almost four years at this point (in addition to my other devices, including a desktop PC not meant for gaming), but will probably switch to a MacBook for my laptop in the next few months, and build a dedicated gaming desktop this time around as a means to both work on and play on when at home. The experiences I’ve had with both gaming laptops as well as PC handhelds have made me realise that neither category is really what I’m looking for. Mobile x86 hardware doesn’t really appeal to me any longer, I’d ideally want everything portable to be ARM based. The latter usually goes hand in hand with less heat, noise, weight, better battery life, … — all things I value a lot in mobile devices. x86 hardware and Windows for that matter is totally fine in my eyes, but mostly when I’m using them at my work desk at home, not when I’m out and about. My gaming laptop has proven to be a trusty companion for the most part, but the general design, the dimensions, the heat, and especially the battery life are such a far cry from what a MacBook can offer… With how much productivity tasks I’m doing on there lately, it just feels like I’m putting up with drawbacks without any real benefit to make up for it.

Sorry, that got kinda long, lmao. It’s just something I’ve been pondering for a while at this point, and due to the fact that I regularly have to work with these devices, it’s been getting increasingly … well, kind of irritating to me, haha.
Nah, I’ve never used gaming laptops before. Just bog standard laptops for school and work. But, with how much actual good laptops cost nowadays, I figured I might as well get a desktop PC that can do some gaming and also be dual booted with Linux or have a Linux VM so I can do some programming as well. Not a student anymore so laptops don’t do much for me

Oh no, I get you. Like gaming laptops never appealed too much to me because of their heat, size, shitty screens, and battery life. I felt that, at that point, I’m better off having something separate that can more easily be upgraded and just have a laptop if I need to work on the go. Are you planning on doing programming or some hardcore video editing or something? In that case, I’d totally recommend a MacBook. I just prefer Linux for programming :p But, otherwise, it’s a lot to drop on a laptop

I have been summoned. And if I've been summoned, that implies a Mario connection, no?

Hmm. This one is tricky. It feels familiar. The sax portion bares the vaguest similarity to Gusty Garden, but it's a loose connection, just a kinda similar set of notes played at a completely different speed. The full track has this mechanical feeling that's contrasted by the lighter, happier brass to make a really funky song.

While perhaps not the intended connection, some of the bassline vibes kinda remind me of Castle Bowser from Super Mario Bros. Wonder...

...but I admit this connection is also loose. Not the same instrumentation, not the same notes, and a very different feeling song. Mario doesn't do a lot of factory tracks, and the others I've found (SMRPG, for example) don't fit either. So I might have to sit on this one more.

However, I don't come empty handed. I am here to talk some more T-Square. Because this?

Knight's Song

Not quite the full picture. We have to go deeper.

Over a year (November 21, 1996) before the release of the first Gran Turismo in Japan (December 23, 1997), Masahiro Andoh would release a solo album, Andy's. Andoh would use all eight tracks from the album in Gran Turismo, though they would only appear in the Japanese version. So for example, here's Moon Over the Castle:

And for an example that's not just Moon Over the Castle...

This makes the Andy's album the first know usage of Moon Over the Castle! Now, the original Gran Turismo took a while to develop, around five years. So I would assume Andoh made the tracks for Gran Turismo but released them early. So early that, before Gran Turismo would come out, he would remix the song with the rest of T-SQUARE into Knight's Song, which would influence the Gran Turismo 2 version of Moon Over the Castle.

So here's my timeline. Take some of the filling in of the blanks with a grain of salt, but I tried my best to get names and dates right:
  • Gran Turismo enters some form of development supposedly as early as late 1992 according to director Kazunori Yamauchi, not too long after the first prototypes of the PlayStation. However, Sony executives would not take up the pitch for a realistic racing simulator, so he would instead direct a more cartoon-y racing game with underlying realistic 3d physics, Motor Toon Gran Prix (December 1994, JP only), as Sony's first fully internally developed first party title.
  • Motor Toon Gran Prix 2 is put into development, with Yamauchi returning as director.
  • Masahiro Andoh (and Hirotaka Izumi!) work on the soundtrack for Arc the Lad (June 30th, 1995, JP only), a Sony published game developed by external studio G-Craft. G-Craft would begin development on a sequel, which Andoh returns to compose for.
  • While working on Motor Toon Gran Prix 2, Yamauchi pitches the realistic racing game again. Having built up trust with the excecutives, development on Gran Turismo starts in earnest, building off of the engine of Motor Toon Gran Prix.
  • Motor Toon Gran Prix 2 releases (May 24, 1996), and the staff from this title shift to Gran Turismo.
  • Having already built up a working relationship with Sony on game composition, Andoh is tapped to work on the soundtrack to Gran Turismo, though this may have happened before MTGP2 saw release.
  • Andoh finishes his tracks for Gran Turismo by sometime in 1996, but the game itself is not finished yet.
  • Arc the Lad II releases (November 1, 1996).
  • Andoh releases the tracks for Gran Turismo in Andy's (November 21, 1996), including Moon Over the Csstle.
  • Andoh makes the Blue in Red album with T-Square (May 21, 1997). As part of that, the band remixes Moon Over the Castle into Knight's Song.
  • Gran Turismo releases (December 23, 1997) and is a massive success. A sequel is put into development.
  • Masahiro Andoh comes back for Gran Turismo 2, working on it around the same time as the soundtrack to Arc the Lad III. For GT2, he remixes Moon Over the Castle, taking inspiration from Knight's Song.
  • Both Arc the Lad III and Gran Turismo 2 release in late 1999. Each was successful enough to warrant future sequels.
  • While Andoh would return to compose all but one future Arc the Lad title, Andoh's work on future Gran Turismo games would be more sporadic. He would work on GT4, GT5: Prologue, GT5, GT6 and GT7; and he would skip GT3 and GT Sport. Even in the games where he was not featured, however, Moon Over the Castle would be the franchise's main theme.
If you'll allow me to talk a little bit more about Moon Over the Castle, it's a shame that it didn't really get used internationally until much later on in series history. Gran Turismo 4 features this version with an orcherstral opening that would give way to the traditional rock later on...

...but while the orchestral portion would be used internationally (the first Moon Over the Castle to do so!), the rest of the track would be replaced by a different licensed song depending on the region. The first time Moon Over the Castle would be used in all regions as the intro to a Gran Turismo game would be in its latest entry, Gran Turismo 7. Please listen to this - I can only describe my first reaction to this track as "they just made the final boss of racing game music."

This specific rendition, like the GT5 version, features fellow T-Square musician Keizo Kawano as the main arranger. But to truly bring things full circle, this rendion also features an all-T-Square line up for the rock portion of the song: Satoshi Bandoh on drums, Mitsuru Sutoh on bass, Kawano on keyboard, and Andoh on lead guitar.

may this be enough to get me out of the creepypasta dimension....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom