• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST30 Mar. 2024| Famiboards Town-Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
just check the gd google maps for chrissake! !

-me when I’m watching characters in an 80s horror movie boutta get lost

My backlog is my main focus currently (outside of Fortnite with family), but I've been thinking that this year would be a good year for me to play the Xenoblade series of games.

One thing that really turns me off of games, however, is being front-loaded with systems. I was playing Monster Hunter Rise recently, and boy, if I'm not eased into the games' systems, I lose interest completely. Before I started the first mission, I was bombarded with pop up boxes, terminology, descriptors, and jargon. As someone who has ADHD, I get very overwhelmed and feel like I'm going to miss something so I have to go through all the tutorials and read all the tips right away.

Are the Xeno games like this? I don't mind complication, but I don't want to feel overwhelmed right away. I remember trying Xenoblade Chronicles on the 3DS but the screen was too little and I have vision problems so I didn't really get far.

Speaking of planning teams, this is the team I'm gonna beat Sword with for the millionth time.
currentteamsword.jpg

The hardest part was getting an Eevee. They're only a 1% overworld spawn in Sword!

Speaking of planning teams, this is the team I'm gonna beat Sword with for the millionth time.
currentteamsword.jpg

The hardest part was getting an Eevee. They're only a 1% overworld spawn in Sword!
I’m planning to start sword again alongside arceus. I only did sword once but I like do play it again and do something a little different. Stick with a starter and send the first five Pokémon I catch in surprise trade and make that my team.

Stick with a starter and send the first five Pokémon I catch in surprise trade and make that my team
Tradelocke time? Tradelocke time!

Before I started the first mission, I was bombarded with pop up boxes, terminology, descriptors, and jargon
I had very much the same experience with the entire Monster Hunter series. I think part of what finally got me to love Rise is because all my previous attempts to get into the seriesfinally coalesced into an actual understanding of the game's mechanics.

Tradelocke time? Tradelocke time!

I had very much the same experience with the entire Monster Hunter series. I think part of what finally got me to love Rise is because all my previous attempts to get into the seriesfinally coalesced into an actual understanding of the game's mechanics.
I ended up buying scarlet and violet and a tradelocke run was fun to do in violet so I would like to do it again in one of the other games. Surprise trade is my favorite feature in switch Pokémon games

currentteamsword.jpg

Jolteon is one of my favorites but losing Signal Beam for coverage in gen 8 is a bummer. Life of being an Eeveelution

My backlog is my main focus currently (outside of Fortnite with family), but I've been thinking that this year would be a good year for me to play the Xenoblade series of games.

One thing that really turns me off of games, however, is being front-loaded with systems. I was playing Monster Hunter Rise recently, and boy, if I'm not eased into the games' systems, I lose interest completely. Before I started the first mission, I was bombarded with pop up boxes, terminology, descriptors, and jargon. As someone who has ADHD, I get very overwhelmed and feel like I'm going to miss something so I have to go through all the tutorials and read all the tips right away.

Are the Xeno games like this? I don't mind complication, but I don't want to feel overwhelmed right away. I remember trying Xenoblade Chronicles on the 3DS but the screen was too little and I have vision problems so I didn't really get far.
I think RPGs in general have a really bad habit of getting caught up in making overcomplicated systems that accomplish very little. I remember the first Trails in the Sky's gameplay solely for having you do so much work to engage with what is ultimately some pretty shallow and badly designed combat.

I don't think the first Xenoblade was that bad, though later in the game it does go right up to the line of having too many systems. Basically what you need to know for Xenoblade is positioning matters for your attacks, but enemies can hit you from anywhere. Try to break-topple-daze enemies, watch out for opportunities to do one of Shulk's visions or a team attack, and that's the gist of it. There's a bit more complication with gear and the different playstyles of each character, but it's not really too overwhelming, it's just presented with a greater density of numbers and jargon than it needs to be. You'll get a million item drops and almost everything is vendor trash with no other conceivable use, it's pseudo-open world and it feels like it, it's not a streamlined and elegantly designed game.

The sequels on the other hand, I had no idea what was going on with X, and I think I've definitely heard complaints about 2 bombarding you with systems...

Threads of the Week 3.3
PBdI7bD.png

Welcome to the first installment of Threads of the Week, a weekly post featuring the Famiboards threads posted or shouted out by the members of this thread alongside some of my personal favorites.

It's only been a few days since the start of the T-Square, so there weren't too many threads posted here. In fact, the only notification I received was this shout-out by @meatbag for @ngpdrew's threaditorial, "Numbers Must Be Stopped."
Hey @Raccoon, I'm gonna give a shoutout to @ngpdrew here for his awesome thread about maybe not focusing so much on the numbers:

This is a quintessential NintendoEra thread, written in a musing and circumlocutious voice that I've come to associate strongly with this community. I've yet to share my thoughts in the thread itself, but I will say to Drew (that is your name, right?) that I personally don't consider Penny's framerate to be numbers since it's usually a pretty binary gate: either it's around 30, fine for most games; or it's 60, necessary to some (like me) for others. Good thread.

As for my own pick, I'm a big fan of "This year feels like the games industry already crashed," another threaditorial by @Mer.Saloon. The title and premise might strike some as sensationalist, but I find it to be a tremendous shorthand for the layman's experience observing the industry from the players' perspective.

I hope you're all tinkering with ideas! I'll be updating the OP in the next hour to fix a few mistakes and add at least one more thread to the directory. I hope that you're all enjoying yourselves in the thread.

Last edited:
Challenge for you

I dreamt last night I was on fami and responding to you with gif of a horse standing on two legs walking in and out of a door. I challenge you to find a similar type of gif as that dream.
I tried, bud. I failed. I figured I could cheat and at least find a gif of Bojack Horseman walking through a door but I couldn't even find that 😩

how does one rizz?
CPdJZVaXAAAleW7.jpg

Isn't that family terrible, though? Did it get improved after Gen 5?
"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites" - Karen (Gold/Silver/Crystal)

e: beaten to it

Just hit 10,000 reactions received. Notice I said reactions and not yeahs, because 5 of them are not yeahs. 👀

claimed it in January but I don’t think it was noted, added it to the official list when I made last month’s ST

at least that’s what I remember

maybe it was all a dream…
Maybe it was 2uswave..?

Oh I was sick in January, so that month is all a blur to me. :ROFLMAO:
Okay actually this is the more plausible scenario

I finally finished Octopath Traveler’s bastard of a secret final dungeon. Took me at least 7 attempts today alone. I have the second one ready to play but I’m not sure if I want to start it now or wait until I’m not playing FFVIIR2 and Unicorn Overlord next week.

Difficulty wise, Rebirth has been smooth sailing other than this one boss for the main gameplay. But these mini games....some of these quest steps were about to have me raging.

click your pfp/username at the top of the page, then the number of reactions
Thanks. It looks I've given over 40,000 Yeahs here. Famiboards is truly an amazing community lol.

I've been dabbling in Blast Corps on NSO, and it's been scratching the Rampage itch of letting you run loose and just wreck town. Perfect for playing while listening to podcasts, too.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites" - Karen (Gold/Silver/Crystal)

e: beaten to it
I still think some kind of system to have non-evolved Pokémom viable without boring strategys would go with this core philosophy of the franchise.
That being said I want them to change the battle system anyway so I don't think I represent the average fan in that regard lol

What the heck, you folks were Star Wars posting over the weekend and didn't tag me?!?

I am ... utterly ... disappointed.

broken-heart.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom