• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST30 Mar. 2024| Famiboards Town-Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of these days, I need to make time to actually watch the OG trilogy. Might skip the prequel and sequel trilogies, though; haven't heard great things about either of em.
They aren't on par with the original trilogy I feel, but still very well worth your time. Imo, Star Wars die hards are the worst when it comes to push their own opinions in gatekeeping the other movies in the original series.

I watched all the Star Wars movies to start 2020, ranked them, and decided that had been enough of the franchise for me.

As someone whose allegiance is mainly to Lego Star Wars nostalgia, here is my review of the series:

I saw the original trilogy in a college mythology class. The original Star Wars is weird. You can tell it was this kind of low budget thing that was stitched together in the editing room. It's okay. The Empire Strikes Back is actually pretty good. Return of the Jedi is very oddly split between its dramatic final battle and feral teddy bears, highs and lows. There's also the first part with Jabba that isn't really connected to the rest of the movie very much, which is weird when you think about it. Anyway all three films beat the shit out of Joseph Campbell, what a fucking hack.

The prequels are very boring movies despite how many cool ideas they have in them, but Backstroke of the West is mostly funny enough to counteract that and is the secret fourth best Star Wars film. The Force Awakens is more competently made, but so creatively bankrupt it instantly caused me to tune out of whatever Disney was going to do with it. They shamelessly copied the plot of a movie whose entire appeal was captivating worldbuilding, something they instead threw under the bus entirely.

Nearing the end of the main story of Star Wars star fighter. Been going for complete mission clears, tho I had to go back and do one with the first unlockable ship(love that the game will let you redo missions with whichever one you want as it can make some medals easier. Plus the 3 bonus ships are fun stuff too XD)

Wait'll you hear about Xenogears

A 6-part game series, and the only one that actually released was part 5
tDZs3q.gif

Too much shit posting has been leaking into my dreams and I saw a similar looking gif in my dreams last night.

I like Star Wars in a conceptual "man, that's a vibe" sense but boy oh boy is the actual execution all over the place. Like, most of the movies are mid to bad, and Rise of Skywalker is I think legitimately the worst movie I've ever seen in a theater (and I've never seen a movie that so pointedly says "no but" instead of "yes and" to literally every interesting thing the previous movie had to say about the franchise; I hope nobody ever hates me even half as much as Rise of Skywalker hates The Last Jedi/Rian Johnson)

In my experience the cartoons usually get to an OK-enough spot after a season or two once they execs stop paying attention and let the writers just do whatever. The live-action shows mostly haven't done it for me but I hear good things about Andor and I liked the first season of Mandalorian

These days I mostly prefer to scratch the Star Wars itch through the games. Star Wars has kinda always been "30% cool/fine, 70% bad or boring" and expecting that you'll need to sift through 6s and 7s to find an occasional 8 or a 9 or even just a 7.5 that does something kinda interesting makes way more sense to me with video games where you already expect most licensed games to be trash. For instance I actually started Fallen Order yesterday and so far it's a pretty fun if slightly by-the-numbers adventure

(side note, after playing both Titanfall 2 and Fallen Order in the last couple months, I can't help noticing that Respawn's pretty good at making both Star Wars games and FPS games. So lemme just check real quick to see if there's been any recent updates on their Star Wars FPS game since that's an obvious slam dunk aaaaand... oh for fucks sake why does EA hate good ideas)

Last edited:
ten pages in and my first famiboards general thread is full of star wars posting...
Could be worse. Imagine if it was full of capeshit

Edit: actually maybe don't imagine that. I want you to have a good Sunday.

Hey fellas, is it normal to spend most of your day overthinking a potential Pokémon team for your current playthrough because you can't think of the right members to fill the type and archetype niches on your team, resulting in you not actually playing the game and even contemplating a reset because you feel stuck in indecision and dissatisfaction?

...asking for a friend!

Hey fellas, is it normal to spend most of your day overthinking a potential Pokémon team for your current playthrough because you can't think of the right members to fill the type and archetype niches on your team, resulting in you not actually playing the game and even contemplating a reset because you feel stuck in indecision and dissatisfaction?

...asking for a friend!
sometimes that sure is the way it goes

...asking for a friend!
Weirdly I have this sort of decision paralysis in every other monster-collecting game and then in Pokemon I'll just slap three mons with the same type on my team and never think twice about it. I have no idea why!

ten pages in and my first famiboards general thread is full of star wars posting...
Let’s post about how sick nasty the Super Butoden OST is

...asking for a friend!
I’ve drafted up a team for a Pokémon game then went literal years before starting it, which might be worse

...asking for a friend!
Sometimes I’m like that. Legends arceus, which I’m planning to restart I had the three starters but I don’t know the full team yet. I was surprised to find alolan vulpix can transfer over though so it’s a part of the team. I need something to replace bidoof and shinx.

I really don't plan any Pokemon teams beforehand, except when I'm trying to do some weird solo challenge 😅
Maybe I know what starter I choose beforehand but that's about it

I really don't plan any Pokemon teams beforehand, except when I'm trying to do some weird solo challenge 😅
Maybe I know what starter I choose beforehand but that's about it
Gosh, I wish I knew how that felt, to just relax and go with the flow, not worry about TMs (this is an older generation playthrough) or statistic spreads or optimizing and just...play the game.

I mean...my friend! I wish my friend knew how that felt.

...asking for a friend!
Goodness, yes. Then there's an added hurdle where I have a sheet of every Pokemon run I have completed since 2018 (which totals 29) and if I've used a certain Pokemon too recently, I don't use it in my current run.

back in the day, I'd pre-make a whole Pokemon team before starting a new file. So like, hatch a bunch of eggs to get the right egg moves, best nature, etc, maybe even get one to be shiny if I had the patience. Plan out the whole narrative for a set of 6 to 10 Pokemon, and then trade/transfer them over and start swapping them in when it seemed narratively appropriate

Sometimes I think I probably spent more time setting the stage than on the actual playthrough, but I think I had fun doing it?

back in the day, I'd pre-make a whole Pokemon team before starting a new file. So like, hatch a bunch of eggs to get the right egg moves, best nature, etc, maybe even get one to be shiny if I had the patience. Plan out the whole narrative for a set of 6 to 10 Pokemon, and then trade/transfer them over and start swapping them in when it seemed narratively appropriate

Sometimes I think I probably spent more time setting the stage than on the actual playthrough, but I think I had fun doing it?
Tbh I still do a lot of this and yeah, for me part of the fun is planning it out and then experiencing the rewards of your planning in the execution

A few years ago I did some maneuvering to get a Cloyster with Shell Smash, Skill Link, Icicle Spear and Rock Blast in USUM, and it single-handedly took out 3 of the E4 lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom