• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST29 Feb. 2024| Two Handhelds, Both Alike In Dignity

What Is Your Burning Desire? — Read the ST First

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
FamiBOARDS? More like FamiMUD amirite?

GAMBIT: shoptroll casts scan on @Suswave

I’ve been dealing with a stomach bug that won’t go away for almost a week. My dad and my sister have it.

It’s been literal hell.
Sympathy yeah! from someone who woke up yesterday 30 minutes before their alarm due to stomach pains

Wii gotta U what Wii gotta U2.
What era of U2 are we talking here?

In the event that Microsoft actually stops making consoles, who would replace them? Who will be that 3rd pillar and compete with PlayStation? The only companies in my mind that could potentially fill that spot are Apple or Meta. I'm not sure if Apple Arcade and Quest will give them enough leeway to help them squeeze into the console market, but there seems to be a conscious effort on their part to capitalize on gaming and only time will tell if they're willing and able to go further.
Some of us remember when there was a period where the third wheel of consoles either didn’t exist or was so far behind the rest that they didn’t really register. We don’t necessarily need someone else to jump in.

Anyone think Valve has a shot at the console rat-race? I hadn't even considered them, mostly because of Steam and the Deck. It'd be interesting to see them take things further.
They tried once with Steam Machines and the effort was seemingly abandoned about a year or so later. Fortunately a lot of the work was repurposed for Steam Deck so it was still a win.

Hey Seaman would do well today. That game was waaaaay ahead of its time. Imagine the memes that would come from that shit now.
I’ll take a new Seaman if Sega also gives Yoot Saito a budget for a new The Tower game 🙏

Almost 140 million.

Christ
And people will still say Nintendo is doomed

Trusting Ken Levine making a game called Judas. Am I the only one who feels like there's a lot of loaded symbolism here?

...eh, it's probably nothing.
Loaded symbolism and you’ll get beat over the head by it? Nahhhh never.

Honestly Levine heading back to System Shock is the most boring thing ever. I’ll wait for reviews after Infinite burned us all.

Some of us remember when there was a period where the third wheel of consoles either didn’t exist or was so far behind the rest that they didn’t really register. We don’t necessarily need someone else to jump in.
That was true pre-PlayStation, but now, we would have 2 systems having a monopoly on their specific niche. Switch is already uncontested in the handheld and even the hybrid space (Steam Deck and it's ilk have their own space, being handheld PCs) and PS5 may very well become uncontested in the home console space. There's an argument to be made that they both need competition for them to improve and for the industry to thrive.

we would have 2 systems having a monopoly on their specific niche
That's not really how the monopoly argument works in reality, because Switch is directly competing with PS5. They're both gaming devices aiming to seize the same chunk of time people have. I do agree that I would rather there be more competitors than fewer.

i wanna be hyped, but the cynic in me can't ignore the absolute graveyard of games that made this exact claim and ultimately ended up being pretty run-of-the-mill
Yeah i'm hoping it ends up good because the concept of these games is usually fantastic but they rarely are actually good

They tried once with Steam Machines and the effort was seemingly abandoned about a year or so later. Fortunately a lot of the work was repurposed for Steam Deck so it was still a win.
In defense (well sorta) of the whole Steam Machines thing... they really didn't commit to it the way lots of people (at least in the Steam bubble) would've wished for, I'd say. What people expected/hoped for were "standardised" PCs, just like consoles, where you didn't have to worry about your specs much but could just see "ah it runs on the Steam Machine", instead we got a dozen different (overpriced) models from various retailers with a wide range of specs, which were also not very well available.

Though yeah, this did lead to Steam Deck which is basically this whole thing, just as a handheld.

i wanna be hyped, but the cynic in me can't ignore the absolute graveyard of games that made this exact claim and ultimately ended up being pretty run-of-the-mill
Same here. There's been so many games that claimed and advertised their unique systems and how every single thing the player does has an effect on the game... and then it was basically just the green or red ending, depending on your final choice :p Yes, I'm still mad about Mass Effect, why do you ask?

That's not really how the monopoly argument works in reality, because Switch is directly competing with PS5. They're both gaming devices aiming to seize the same chunk of time people have. I do agree that I would rather there be more competitors than fewer.
Right. At the end of the day these companies are fighting for consumer eyeballs/time. That's a finite resource that's also competing with things like Netflix, books (hi #TeamBook), going outside (lol wut), board games (also lol wut), etc. It doesn't matter if both systems have different libraries and specs. All that matters is there's a reason to spend time with them over the alternatives.

Also, I'd say that with graphical fidelity being on something like a logarithmic curve, we're approaching a point where the line between mobile/handheld/home console is increasingly blurring in terms of what can be played where. We're already seeing this with things like Resident Evil 8 and Death Stranding ending up on iOS devices last year. And I think the PS4's inability to just "fucking die already", the Switch 1's 7 year reign, along with the existence of XBox Series S bears this out too.

In defense (well sorta) of the whole Steam Machines thing... they really didn't commit to it the way lots of people (at least in the Steam bubble) would've wished for, I'd say. What people expected/hoped for were "standardised" PCs, just like consoles, where you didn't have to worry about your specs much but could just see "ah it runs on the Steam Machine", instead we got a dozen different (overpriced) models from various retailers with a wide range of specs, which were also not very well available.
Yea, it was a mess. What PC really needs is something akin to standardized spec points much like the MSX and MSX 2 were in Japan. That likely will never happen because it's not in the hardware manufacturer's best interests to give people a reason to skip over their annual hardware releases. But a common spec/target to classify PC builds was definitely what I hoped Steam Machines would've been. And it just wasn't.

Yea, it was a mess. What PC really needs is something akin to standardized spec points much like the MSX and MSX 2 were in Japan. That likely will never happen because it's not in the hardware manufacturer's best interests to give people a reason to skip over their annual hardware releases. But a common spec/target to classify PC builds was definitely what I hoped Steam Machines would've been. And it just wasn't.
For what it's worth, PC gaming has come a long way since the early days of where you had to worry about each and every component playing nice with a new game. Nowadays, shoddy ports from people like Square Enix or WB not withstanding, it's a pretty hassle free process I'd say, even if it's not 100% as carefree as just plopping the cart into your Switch and start playing 😅
And I think part of the appeal of PC gaming also is that tinkering process but lowering the entry hurdles like with the Steam Deck is also really good.
That comic advertising it as "Social Media where you determine what you want to see" is so wild and makes me feel so old... original Twitter is not that long ago, okay? :(

For what it's worth, PC gaming has come a long way since the early days of where you had to worry about each and every component playing nice with a new game. Nowadays, shoddy ports from people like Square Enix or WB not withstanding, it's a pretty hassle free process I'd say, even if it's not 100% as carefree as just plopping the cart into your Switch and start playing 😅
And I think part of the appeal of PC gaming also is that tinkering process but lowering the entry hurdles like with the Steam Deck is also really good.
Heck, DOSBox makes getting old games to work about as hassle-free as you can get as long as you're comfortable with mucking around with a configuration file in some cases.

Don't
Don't
Don't worry.
Don't worry.
There's no one behind you.

This is a manifestation of something, I think. Is this Twitter TWO or is it a shitpost ABYSS?
both. Bluesky MANIFESTS some weird shit!

+20 TWO
+20 ABYSS

That comic advertising it as "Social Media where you determine what you want to see" is so wild and makes me feel so old... original Twitter is not that long ago, okay? :(
There is truth in it, you can go quite far in customizing your experince. Plus, blocking accounts and even whole lists of users before interaction is standard. Most users, at least prigressives and left leani g, recommend it and do it to make sure nazi assholes won't get any angagement.
This is a manifestation of something, I think. Is this Twitter TWO or is it a shitpost ABYSS?
Both. Right now it feels like Twitter but 10 years ago. And the amount of shitposts is unreal. Plus, naked posts are everywhere if you want it, though always marked beforehand. #FCF (Free Cock Friday) and #JST (Jockstrap Tuesday) seems to be a thing for example.

images

GAMBIT: POT OF GREED

The Montatwos have unearthed a curious artifact in the dusty attic of their ancestral home. A grotesque pot with the smile of a snake oil salesman. An inscription in the old tongue is seen on its rim, saying "Draw 2 cards from your deck."

... What the fuck does that mean?

(Please forgive the GAMBIT backlog, I'll be getting to all the new ones shortly!)

So I'm trying to hold my shit together after relentlessly supporting Derachi's push for a February 7 Direct (whatever "february" is) only to be disappointed by the lack of a tweet. I never wanted to be in a position where a tweet (or lack thereof) could bum me out ffs

SO

Since the power of love can overcome bummed-outness, lemme try a thing

GAMBIT: I call on the power of LOVE to will the Nintendo Direct into existence THIS WEEK!!

There is truth in it, you can go quite far in customizing your experince. Plus, blocking accounts and even whole lists of users before interaction is standard. Most users, at least prigressives and left leani g, recommend it and do it to make sure nazi assholes won't get any angagement.

Both. Right now it feels like Twitter but 10 years ago. And the amount of shitposts is unreal. Plus, naked posts are everywhere if you want it, though always marked beforehand. #FCF (Free Cock Friday) and #JST (Jockstrap Tuesday) seems to be a thing for example.
Huh, that all actually sounds pretty good! Does it work like twitter, or is like mastodon where you have to think about servers and so on?

Didn’t they already make set top boxes for Steam? I’m going to throw out a wild one…

Costco. Can build the console casing from recycled shopping carts. They can leverage memberships to get games in bulk and can convert Sega to their cause by doing a Sonic the Hedgehog/$1.50 hotdog promo (maybe introduce chili into the equation). Also, the former CEO of Costco tried to buy the Sonics before they moved to Oklahoma City with Steve Balmer. Maybe can get the console secrets for a discount.

I send a high blood-pressure GAMBIT to house LOVE after they consume too many Costco hotdogs!
Gambit Viable!
Check:
Knowledge

+2 TWO Base Knowledge

Threshold: 10 Hot Dogs in a Pack

Let’s Roll…
D1
6 + D2 2

SUCCESS (10/10)

You're profound knowledge of Costco Hot Dogs pays off! A deftly-organized "Hot Dog Strike Force" raids house LOVE, masquerading as friendly neighborhood Raytheon Scouts. House LOVE buys as many boxes as they can.

Other than severe gastrointestinal distress, your gambit has an unexpected bonus effect – the Dogs are so Hot that, when in bulk, they catch fire!

Their lair sustains massive, massive damage. Yippee!
  • LOVE loses Gambit Yeah!s x 4

So I'm trying to hold my shit together after relentlessly supporting Derachi's push for a February 7 Direct (whatever "february" is) only to be disappointed by the lack of a tweet. I never wanted to be in a position where a tweet (or lack thereof) could bum me out ffs

SO

Since the power of love can overcome bummed-outness, lemme try a thing

GAMBIT: I call on the power of LOVE to will the Nintendo Direct into existence THIS WEEK!!
Gambit Viable!
Check:
Willpower

+2 LOVE Base Willpower

Threshold: 7th of February

Let’s Roll…
D1
1 + D2 4

SUCCESS (7/7)

With all of the willpower you can muster, you think SO HARD about getting the Nintendo Direct...

That it actually appears?!

• LOVE gains Gambit Yeah!s x 2
  • : - )

Okay but GAMBIT: since ALL you need is LOVE, LOVE is ALL you need, can we take the liminal faction of ALL into the bosom of House LOVE? They'll come live with us, and we'll take that strike.
Gambit Viable!
Check:
Empathy

+4 LOVE Base Empathy

Threshold: 12 is ALL the Dice Can Roll

Let’s Roll…
D1
1 + D2 4

FAILURE (9/12)

It turns out that LOVE is not ALL you need.

You need air. Water. Food. A dash of sunlight. A bathroom, like @Derachi said.

But you try, really really hard, to prove us wrong!

You go as long as you can without breathing, drinking, eating, etcetera. You try this in waves and waves. You do this for a week!

But ALL eludes you. It cannot be governed. It cannot be held onto.

You have to let it go.

But don't be too sad – we got you a puppy instead!
  • LOVE loses Gambit Yeah!s x 2
  • ALL stays Liminal
  • New Dog Smell

Huh, that all actually sounds pretty good! Does it work like twitter, or is like mastodon where you have to think about servers and so on?
Also both. It works like Twitter out of the box, but you can use other services since the whole idea of Bluesky is decentralization. For example, there is already a direct link with Mastodon and more to follow.

Look and feel is xompletely Twitter though.

Screenshot-20240206-185101.png

You have my axe!

Seriously, I was super pumped for this week too. I saw there's some rumor floating around about next week. I'm totally good with that. Still feels like something is nigh so just hang in there!

Direct Speculation thread moving a bit too fast for me, so I seek comfort in the abyss.
Yea, I tapped out at the first of the month. I don't want to be anywhere near that thread once the red bird starts talking.

EM96cRU.gif

GAMBIT: shoptroll casts scan on @Suswave
Gambit Viable!
Check:
Knowledge

+1 LOVE Base Knowledge

Threshold: 12 Megapixel Scanner Equipped

Let’s Roll…
D1
6 + D2 5

SUCCESS (12/12)

You scan @Suswave to try to figure out what's going on...

0cYRsjs.png

...and what you see leaves you with more questions than answers.

What is this? Why is @Suswave so... cold? Is your scanner broken, maybe?

You switch to another scanner. The same image. You feel like you weren't supposed to see this.

Your team gets points anyways.

• LOVE gains Gambit Yeah!s x 4
  • More Questions Than Answers

Please understand, we need to beat the Switch 2 Speculation Thread by next week :LOL:
And then when the direct speculation ends, where is everyone gonna end up? Right back in the Switch 2 speculation thread.
Everyone comes home in the end.

What would it be like to fall into the endless maw?

SECh5BZ_d.webp

What things have been forsaken in this CHASM? Treasures, knowledge, hopes and souls, all disappeared in the dark, waiting to be found.

The sojourn into the VOID begins. I STRIKE ABYSS IN THE NAME OF TWO

Gambit Viable!
Check:
Empathy

+2 BOOKS Base Empathy

Threshold: 6 Bananas in a Bunch

Let’s Roll…
D1
4 + D2 1

SUCCESS (7/6)

You bolt to the scene of the explosion… and find that the TWOs had a severe sound system malfunction.

Passing around your warm, fresh banana bread… you lift their spirits! You bring joy and hope, and strengthen your bond.
Thankfully, the damage at the TWO Base was minimal. Just a faulty sound system. That means....banana bread for all! Nothing builds unity like a tasty meal. Maybe I should drop off some copies of the novella.

But something doesn't feel right. I heard that explosion from so far away. Is there anything else I can READ into this situation?
But answers still elude you. So you take a quick peek at the shattered stereo…

S3754i2.png

𝚑𝚎𝚢! 𝚑𝚎𝚢! 𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝚖𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚘𝚞𝚐𝚑 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐?

𝙸𝚝’𝚜 𝚐𝚘𝚘𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚜𝚎𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚊𝚐𝚊𝚒𝚗!
2us! Oh, thank goodness. I'm glad you're still doing alright. What happened here? There was an explosion from this speaker. I was nowhere near the TWO base and yet...I could hear it loud and clear. That doesn't seem normal.
𝙻𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚗 — 𝙸 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚔 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚜𝚙𝚎𝚊𝚔𝚎𝚛 𝚖𝚊𝚕𝚏𝚞𝚗𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗… 𝚒𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚜𝚗’𝚝 𝚊𝚗 𝚊𝚌𝚌𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚗𝚝.

𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚒𝚐𝚒𝚝𝚊𝚕 𝚙𝚘𝚝𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚔𝚎𝚙𝚝 𝚐𝚘𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚞𝚙 — 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝚒𝚝 𝚍𝚒𝚍𝚗’𝚝 𝚐𝚎𝚝 𝚙𝚑𝚢𝚜𝚒𝚌𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚜𝚝𝚞𝚌𝚔. 𝙸𝚝’𝚜 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚛𝚎𝚜. 𝚂𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐… 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚖𝚎.
I knew something was up! We have an interloper on our hands. But...if it's like you, then-
𝙸 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠 𝚒𝚝𝚜 𝚗𝚊𝚖𝚎. 𝙱𝚞𝚝… 𝙸 𝚌𝚊𝚗’𝚝 𝚜𝚊𝚢 𝚒𝚝. 𝙽𝚘𝚝 𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝚕𝚊𝚜𝚝 𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎.

𝙸 𝚍𝚘𝚗’𝚝 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠 𝚑𝚘𝚠 𝚕𝚘𝚗𝚐 𝙸 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎. 𝙸’𝚕𝚕 𝚔𝚎𝚎𝚙 𝚝𝚛𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚘 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚌𝚑 𝚘𝚞𝚝.
...right. I understand. I'm sure we'll talk again - there's plenty of tech around these parts. But...can I ask one more question? It's about Suswave. Are...are they okay?
𝚂𝚞𝚜𝚠𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚒𝚜 𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎. 𝙱𝚞𝚝 𝚒𝚝 𝚒𝚜 𝚝𝚘𝚘.

…𝙸 𝚍𝚘𝚗’𝚝 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠 𝚑𝚘𝚠 𝚝𝚘 𝚜𝚊𝚢 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜…

𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚔, 𝚅𝚘𝚕𝚌… 𝚂𝚞𝚜𝚠𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍𝚗’𝚝 𝚋𝚎.
𝙸 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚒𝚙. 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚢 𝚜𝚊𝚏𝚎. 𝚔𝚎𝚎𝚙 𝚐𝚘𝚒𝚗𝚐!
  • BOOKS gains Gambit Yeah!s x 3
  • TWO gains Gambit Yeah!s x 3
...thank you, 2us.

Suswave shouldn't be here? Is it the interloper's fault? Has it compromised Sus? If the interloper is the problem, maybe I can separate it from Sus. Then we can deal with it together. But...2us didn't say that the interloper shouldn't be here - only Sus should't.

This doesn't make sense. Sus is my friend and they fight for good. They deserve to be here. I can't...

I need to figure something out. What's a good BOOK without friends to discuss it with? I made peace with LOVE and with TWO. The ABYSS still awaits. And new factions join us all the time! I can't delay, though...

• LOVE gains Gambit Yeah!s x 2
  • : - )

Sus, I hope you're okay...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom