• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST29 Feb. 2024| Two Handhelds, Both Alike In Dignity

What Is Your Burning Desire? — Read the ST First

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the wacky Xbox drama happening right now, it probably wasn't the best time to announce that the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV on Xbox with a expanded free trial yada yada will need a Gamepass sub in order to play the full version. For comparison, the PS4/5 version doesn't need PS+, so... just weirdly bad optics at a time when Xbox probably doesn't need more bad optics.
I wouldn’t mind the subscription being included in PS plus though, since I don’t want to pay extra but would like to play it. But it should be an option to have a separate sub for sure.

furukawa at the investors meeting
“we don’t nintend giggles to announce anything at this time”

koizumi to takahashi
“oh my god he actually did it?”

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder why I didn't get into these types of forums sooner. It sounds like y'all experienced history or something.

for what it's worth this place has better vibes than resetera or neogaf before it ever did, those places were always so negative most of the time

Sphilph Dencer sez “we bgougth all ur guys! also gudbye lmao”

Why is it my glasses look fine when I look in a mirror, but when I take a picture of myself they're so crooked they might as well be vertical?

I mean GAF would be almost two decades old, which qualifies it as retro and thus history.
Not to mention the gross actions of NeoGAF's founder that led to the original exodus to ResetEra

The two times I've visited NeoGAF since, the old guard can tell what changed when the original userbase left.

Why is it my glasses look fine when I look in a mirror, but when I take a picture of myself they're so crooked they might as well be vertical?
they self-correct under ocular scrutiny

for what it's worth this place has better vibes than resetera or neogaf before it ever did, those places were always so negative most of the time
that’s the steadfast commitment to shitposting

it’s also why we tend to get nervous when things get super ang-er-y ser-i-oos about video game bullshit when we’re more or less trying to have a good time

That feeling when you go to bed as usual and when you wake up Xbox is apparently fucking dead:

6kvy.gif

guess the throw my 2 cents into the Xbox third party stuff is that while it won't affect Nintendo that much at first outside of course Nintendo potentially getting more third party games , is that there are no more Xbox's after this gen, it would somewhat force Nintendo to compete with sony whether they like it or not by the time the PS6. but not in a hardware sense but in the sense that not every big third party game is going to come to the Switch 2, where every big third-party game comes to PlayStation and Xbox and PC, now it will just be PlayStation and PC aka PlayStation will be getting a lot of third parties exclusively to there game consoles (I count PC as it's own ecosystem and market for now) possibly tipping the scales into sony favor in terms of exclusives and quantity, something Nintendo has relied on apon heavily since the N64 days. but I think the best thing for Nintendo isn't to cave into the "more powerful console" crowed it could be to expand the Nintendo brand even further into other media outlets than ever before, Nintendo has some of the most recognizable characters and franchises in the world that are still just stuck to being video games, we've seen with the Mario movie and super nintendo that there is a massive appeal for Nintendo's characters outside just video games.

TLDR: Nintendo should evolve into an overall media giant not just a video game giant

guess the throw my 2 cents into the Xbox third party stuff is that while it won't affect Nintendo that much at first outside of course Nintendo potentially getting more third party games , is that there are no more Xbox's after this gen, it would somewhat force Nintendo to compete with sony whether they like it or not by the time the PS6. but not in a hardware sense but in the sense that not every big third party game is going to come to the Switch 2, where every big third-party game comes to PlayStation and Xbox and PC, now it will just be PlayStation and PC aka PlayStation will be getting a lot of third parties exclusively to there game consoles (I count PC as it's own ecosystem and market for now) possibly tipping the scales into sony favor in terms of exclusives and quantity, something Nintendo has relied on apon heavily since the N64 days. but I think the best thing for Nintendo isn't to cave into the "more powerful console" crowed it could be to expand the Nintendo brand even further into other media outlets than ever before, Nintendo has some of the most recognizable characters and franchises in the world that are still just stuck to being video games, we've seen with the Mario movie and super nintendo that there is a massive appeal for Nintendo's characters outside just video games.

TLDR: Nintendo should evolve into an overall media giant not just a video game giant
If the Mario movie and Super Nintendo World are any indication, they're already in the process of becoming media giant.

And to Nintendo's credit, I think they know this and are pushing in that direction! You already said the Mario movie and theme park land. Dk's coming to the park, rumor mill suggests Zelda isn't too far behind, and Zelda has a movie as well. Pokemon and Kirby aren't directly their things but those have thriving multimedia too. And maybe this is just me, but there is a boatload more merch for these franchises than there was when I was a kid. Nintendo will never lose the game focus but they do show the signs of expanding!

i know it’s already happening but please, fuck, no. we don’t need more media giants and content mills. I don’t know why y’all want Nintendo to be a Disney. look at the wasteland.

me: “everyone’s so busy in all the specific threads, but I wish they’d come visit”

also me: “ew what the fuck? talking about subjects??”

Can we call Nintendo a media giant, even though the only reason they’re participating in theme park and movies is to use them as marketing for their hardware and software business?

In light of recent events I just wanted to say

giphy.gif

I really really really really mean it.

Everyone else: "Nintendo give us Switch 2!!! - Direct where?!"
Famiboards: "Anyway, let‘s rank months"

MASSIVE A Space For The Unbound vibes.
You have my attention

Can we call Nintendo a media giant, even though the only reason they’re participating in theme park and movies is to use them as marketing for their hardware and software business?
Technically they're also diversifying their revenue streams, so yeah, they kinda are on their way to becoming a media giant

Everyone else: "Nintendo give us Switch 2!!! - Direct where?!"
Uhh Famiboards has been like this pretty much all the time from what I remember

me: “everyone’s so busy in all the specific threads, but I wish they’d come visit”

also me: “ew what the fuck? talking about subjects??”
This monthly thread is one of the many reasons I love the vibes on this forum. Wanna post about the abyss? Post it in here. Wanna post RCT2 screenshots? Post them in here. Wanna talk about Subway? Post your favorite subs in here.

phil becomes ceo of playstation
phil announces playpass
phil announces we are going multi platform
phil announces playstation death
phil becomes ceo of nintendo
phil announces “nintendo switch 3 is the only way to play every single game possible”
phil announces “this was the plan all along”

@SammyJ9 MASSIVE A Space For The Unbound vibes.

I haven’t watched the trailer yet and I’m already sobbing because it has the same name as a piece my wife painted for me 😭

though I feel like this game probably isn’t about someday seeing the northern lights and also a moose

i know it’s already happening but please, fuck, no. we don’t need more media giants and content mills. I don’t know why y’all want Nintendo to be a Disney. look at the wasteland.
I don't know if I'm excited for it, per say, but I would also be lying if I said I didn't enjoy that theme park land a lot. I'm part of the problem!

I don't know if I'm excited for it, per se, but I would also be lying if I said I didn't enjoy that theme park land a lot. I'm part of the problem!
one in four wolves raging inside of me says let people enjoy (SOME) things…

so begrudgingly, you are in fact allowed to like fun, even brand fun, even brand fun I hate, and even brand fun I hate in a profitable alliance with someone who wants me dead

but I’m still gonna make the face >:(

My lunch break is almost over, so I think I'm gonna spend the last bit of it studying. Thus, I STRIKE LOVE in honor of BOOKS.

So now that rumors are swirling about how the Xbox is going out of fashion, it gave me a most marvelous idea for a most devious scheme. Please put on some MUSIC.

images

GAMBIT: WARDROBE MALFUNCTION

The Montatwos send their highly trained agents into the households of the other factions, raiding their wardrobes and ensuring that every possible combination of wearable items look disastrous. Dressed to kill? More like dressed like swill.

Without any personal interest in all the proceedings over at Xbox, the whole uproar seems rather exaggerated to me. An almost strangely reassuring feeling, I must say.

So now that rumors are swirling about how the Xbox is going out of fashion, it gave me a most marvelous idea for a most devious scheme. Please put on some MUSIC.

images

The Montatwos send their highly trained agents into the households of the other factions, raiding their wardrobes and ensuring that every possible combination of wearable items look disastrous. Dressed to kill? More like dressed like swill.
Jokes on you, my wardrobe is filled with BOOKS!!! 😈

images

You are not prepared for the horrors that await you in the wardrobe of the Abyss.

I’m honestly a little confused about the XBox panic. The whole point of the XBox was to backdoor PC/Windows gaming into the living room. That mission is largely over.

De-emphasizing their own produced hardware to either piggyback on Sony, Valve, or Nintendo and pushing GamePass even harder alleviates the risk they’re exposed to with each hardware generation where they have to deal with the manufacturing the physical device which has always been one of their weaker points.

And yea, the same thing can be said about Nintendo except for the whole part where Nintendo software and hardware are usually done in synergy with each other.

So I dunno. Xbox consoles have always struck me as mini-PCs more than other systems so I don’t feel like this really moves the needle much.

Nevermind Nintendo doing this to the PSP and Vita.
Exactly. Sony’s not killing Nintendo any time soon. You’d have to completely ignore the JP situation right now to believe otherwise.

And honestly whatever is going on at Xbox may have more to do with the company pivoting hard to AI and cloud than anything Sony is doing.

Sigh time for some gaming. Not for the happiest reasons

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Is it weird that this type of music is Zen for me?

It and the ending theme “Say Goodbye, Lonliness “are amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom