• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST20 May 2023| Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

Status
Not open for further replies.
My theory is that they wanted to make their usual first person immersive sim, some exec stepped in and said “but what about a looter shooter” then they had to scramble and stitch together this game
Not a situation in the world I won’t happily blame on suits.

Cadence of Hyrule is great, y'all, give it a try. I didn't like the demo, but playing the full game I'm addicted. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it before the trial ends, but if I don't I will gladly pay for it.
It's really, really good yeah

Good to know, I believe I'll finish FEE until tomorrow, then I'll try it :).
Are you playing with the whole shebang? I thought about trying it without the rhythm aspect to make it easier.

Yeah, I'm playing on rhythm mode! I think it actually helps getting into the flow of the game, especially in boss battles, those almost feel like they have a coreography to them and I think they would be harder without the rhythm. But you could play in fixed beat mode and still follow the beat anyway, the only difference is that you wouldn't be punished for mistakes, I believe.

The demo hadn't clicked for me before because the beginning of the game is by far the hardest and most frustrating part. After you've done some exploring in the overworld and collected more hearts/permanent upgrades, it gets increasingly more doable and fun, then you can start tackling the dungeons.

Yeah, I'm playing on rhythm mode! I think it actually helps getting into the flow of the game, especially in boss battles, those almost feel like they have a coreography to them and I think they would be harder without the rhythm. But you could play in fixed beat mode and still follow the beat anyway, the only difference is that you wouldn't be punished for mistakes, I believe.

The demo hadn't clicked for me before because the beginning of the game is by far the hardest and most frustrating part. After you've done some exploring in the overworld and collected more hearts/permanent upgrades, it gets increasingly more doable and fun, then you can start tackling the dungeons.
Thanks. Good to know :)

Lets talk some random stuff to waste some minutes waiting for Zelda.

Ever since our eldest daughter got the Mrs. and me Ring Fit Adventure for christmas (which led to some massively pissed off mother, i was able to laugh it off), i actually went and got right back at our daughter.

As of yesterday, it's 7kg lost without changing much about my usual food habits, outside of eating a littlebit less sweets. (Still eating quite a few in the week though...)

We also made a plan to move her to play it too by connecting a pocket money raise if she manages to beat my scores, which she failed despite me being a lazy chubby bum.

Creative parenting revenge, hooray!

The Redfall situation sucks. I think Arkane is trying to find out that sweet spot between what they want to do and gets them cred (immersive sims, rich interesting worlds) and what the masses/execs want (shooty shooty action, dozens of hours of gameplay). Redfall looks like very much a first attempt, and one that has ended up failing due to timelines (it is very much unpolished) and probably due to meddling.

Got to wonder how much Redfall is a victim of Microsoft needing something out now to try and keep driving the Xbox business and Game Pass ahead of Starfield.

Hey, does anyone have any good recommendations of great anime series on Netflix to watch while I abstain from YouTube?
Seconding the Castlevania recommendation; recently watched it for a second time and it's excellent.

Ooh, I did not know about it! I'll have to look into that (and probably weep at some ridiculous Discogs marketplace prices 😋)

I love the unique art they used for singles. Definitely one of the better bands out there.

Hey, does anyone have any good recommendations of great anime series on Netflix to watch while I abstain from YouTube?
Depends on what you like, but since we’re in a Zelda mood, I think Ranking of Kings is on Netflix and it’s excellent. It’s a fairy tale-esque fantasy about a deaf-mute prince who wants to be king.

The Redfall situation sucks. I think Arkane is trying to find out that sweet spot between what they want to do and gets them cred (immersive sims, rich interesting worlds) and what the masses/execs want (shooty shooty action, dozens of hours of gameplay). Redfall looks like very much a first attempt, and one that has ended up failing due to timelines (it is very much unpolished) and probably due to meddling.
Maybe Microsoft need to give them an IP to make an immersive sim that'd be an easier sell to the public. And not force them to make a multiplayer game (as I assume it was the case with Redfall). There definitely is a public for immersive sim-ish games (the success of MGS V and BOTW prove it), but the genre is always so hard to market

Castlevania.

(For me, it counts as anime.)
It’s all cartoons/animation at the end of the day

Yeeeeah, JoJo is something you watch when you’re already very familiar with manga/anime culture.

Got to wonder how much Redfall is a victim of Microsoft needing something out now to try and keep driving the Xbox business and Game Pass ahead of Starfield.
I’d say it’s less about Game Pass and more that whoever’s in charge decided game dev has taken too long, the project wasn’t going anywhere, better to release and cut their losses than salvage it.

Maybe Microsoft need to give them an IP to make an immersive sim that'd be an easier sell to the public. And not force them to make a multiplayer game (as I assume it was the case with Redfall)
MS doesn’t really have any IP like that, it’s Arkane that makes those kinds of games. It’s forced multiplayer and looter shooter stuff which I feel screwed Redfall up.

Maybe Microsoft need to give them an IP to make an immersive sim that'd be an easier sell to the public. And not force them to make a multiplayer game (as I assume it was the case with Redfall). There definitely is a public for immersive sim-ish games (the success of MGS V and BOTW prove it), but the genre is always so hard to market
I don't know what that one could be, though. Microsoft doesn't have huge IPs that could benefit from Arkane's focus. A Halo spin-off? A Gears of War one?Perfect dark? (a dishonored-like Perfect Dark would be cool, with Joanna Dark being all sneaky would be amazing but not sure if it's a huge IP).

I'm thinking of asking for the go-ahead to move the Direct thread up to this Friday, May 5. This way we'll have a few days to establish our predictions before the financial results on the 9th. Then we'll kill time for a few days before the thread shrivels up for Zelda. Thoughts?

Also, I'd love to hear some title suggestions. My current one is alright but it's partially a raccoon joke which generally I'd prefer to avoid for the sake of inclusivity.

I’ve been scared to use Twitter because I’m scared of spoilers. I found out that you can mute certain words/phrases so Twitter won’t show them on your homepage, so I muted everything from “Zelda” to “Ganondorf” to “leak” to “Zonai”.

Still being careful but I feel a bit safer.

I'm thinking of asking for the go-ahead to move the Direct thread up to this Friday, May 5. This way we'll have a few days to establish our predictions before the financial results on the 9th. Then we'll kill time for a few days before the thread shrivels up for Zelda. Thoughts?

Also, I'd love to hear some title suggestions. My current one is alright but it's partially a raccoon joke which generally I'd prefer to avoid for the sake of inclusivity.

• Direct of the Kingdom
  • May we Direct you

(I’m terrible at this…)

Counting down the seconds until noon and the big Super Mega Baseball 4 reveal. Seems like they are heavily teasing the addition of retired legendary MLB players, like David Ortiz. Their account is also following Mike Piazza.

I don't know what that one could be, though. Microsoft doesn't have huge IPs that could benefit from Arkane's focus. A Halo spin-off? A Gears of War one?Perfect dark? (a dishonored-like Perfect Dark would be cool, with Joanna Dark being all sneaky would be amazing but not sure if it's a huge IP).

Shadowrun.

• Nintendo Direct Speculation Thread: it's E(PD)3 season
Get it? Like E3? That thing that was a thing but not anymore?

Yeah, sorry, I'll get me coat.

"Do not look away. You witness the rebirth of marketing."

All Quiet On The Directless Front

We'll Build Our Own E3 With Blackjack and Hookshots
Nah I change my vote to this one

To be, or not to E3; that is the question.

It's really not a great feeling when we're 2.5 years into the PS5 generation and I'm already disappointed in many games' technical state. At least with many of those that I might be potentially interested in/might've been interested in.
Elden Ring on PS5 is somewhat of a mess (that's why I started playing it on my weaker PC to begin with and didn't put it on my "potential games to purchase a PS for"-list), same is true for Jedi Survivor (oooof wrt all versions there, PC included), and Returnal's also not running as well on a high-end console like the PS5 as I'd like it to. Demon's Souls is the one notable exception here, just what I'd expect from such a game.
Others have left mixed impressions as well, like Koei Tecmo's latest outings. Let's also see how FF XVI will perform.

That's not to say that the console in and of itself is to blame and that we need a PS5 Pro asap, far from it. But the inherent problem of not being able to adjust the experience according to my tastes comes into play here (obiously, as we're talking about a walled garden platform). The PS, then, being a console is the core issue in combination with developers not delivering the way I'd want them to, whatever the reason may be (time, money, lack of ... well, insert whatever you'd like).

Sorry, just a short ramble here following some really disappointing AAA releases (looking at you, Jedi Survivor, especially).

An Arkane-led Halo spinoff would be cool, however. Just treat the Spartan suits as augmentations and call it Halo Ex oh wai
I do hope, at some point, someone other than 343 will give us a Halo game. It doesn't have to be a mainline game, it could be a spinoff, but I really want to see it happen.

Trailer is tomorrow!

uxWYzos.jpg

Wasn't it announced in a Direct? Man, that's definitely how you're not going to get slots in future Directs again.
It was announced at Gamescom 2021, I think. I dont remember them showing it in any direct but yeah stealth cancelling a game is not great.

https://midnightsuns.2k.com/latest/ps4-xboxone-date/

It took a while but the switch version of Midnight Suns has been cancelled.
Bummer.

At least the English version of the website is honest about it. The Spanish version, meanwhile, is apparently trying to rewrite reality by saying something along the lines of "Remember that a Switch version of Marvel's Midnight Suns is not planned" as if it never was in the cards.

https://midnightsuns.2k.com/latest/ps4-xboxone-date/

It took a while but the switch version of Midnight Suns has been cancelled.
Now I start to worry about future of Switch support in general. Kingdom Come Deliverance is next I can feel it.

It's gonna be a veeery depressing fall season for me. Not only the rumored first party games are the ones I dislike, no third party games slated except for NISA and Level-5 games. And I have really bad feeling about the Level-5 ones (they're gonna get delayed)

With ToTK next week figured I’d pull out my only Loz amiibo and some others that were with it since I had the space

IMG_6717.jpg

Also headed for what I assume is the endgame of Nier Replicant and May finish my first run today. Clearing things up for me to focus on Xbc3 FR till zelda

Now I start to worry about future of Switch support in general. Kingdom Come Deliverance is next I can feel it.

It's gonna be a veeery depressing fall season for me. Not only the rumored first party games are the ones I dislike, no third party games slated except for NISA and Level-5 games. And I have really bad feeling about the Level-5 ones (they're gonna get delayed)
I cant tell you to worry or not, but there are still alot of unknows with games coming second half of the year. I think June/July will be very telling of whats on the horizon for switch support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom