• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST20 May 2023| Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coworker: You available to do work on the 12th?

Me:
shaq-laughingn.gif

you know.....in mid-march my friend was 100% sure that ToTK was going to scored 30 more points than Redfall on MC.
At first, I was like "no way redfall is scoring in the 60s", but now...idk.

I dunno that I've ever seen U2 hate.
Oh there is hate.

Seeing the Coldplay and U2 comments, (and I’ve seen Coldplay like three times on concert and U2 eleven times) I can say they are great bands.

I have to admit that Coldplay’s latter albums are a bit too pop-y for my tastes; I appreciate their earlier works and love songs like Yellow, the Scientist, Clocks etc. more.

U2 is awesome. Last two albums were mostly eh (I like a few songs), but their shows and big hits are amazing. Especially in the Netherlands, a country where U2 always gets everyone to sing along, their shows always are a blast. I do like that they have gone to smaller venues as opposed to big stadiums; but seeing them in the Stade the France with 77k people going nuts has been an experience

Started watching old Digital Foundry videos for Xenoblade game analysis, and while they’re absolutely fine… and maybe this is the lifelong fan in me talking but it’s hard not to root for Nintendo systems on technical grounds since the Wii era.

Like there’s something really satisfying seeing how Nintendo and their partners are able eke out miracles from this hardware that was already kinda aged when it debuted.

And I dunno. 4K and raytraced stuff is cool but seeing that the Switch is still only hitting 720p (or less) in a lot of games just feels like a more appropriate and sustainable growth. Especially as someone who will always value solid art direction and gameplay design over raw polygon pushing.

I’m ready to see what the next evolution is going to be (really I want to see what the control scheme is going to be) but I’m not expecting a giant leap graphically, more like a big step at best. And that’s totally ok for me as long as they’re asking a reasonable amount of money for the hardware. Hopefully that’s a healthy mindset to be in right now.

(Also, wouldn’t it be kinda sick if the next system comes out and retails for less than the Switch was at launch while providing an appreciable but not amazing boost in performance?)

I didn't intend what I said as a dig at either of you, or at @EvilChameleon who hosted two back-to-back (IIRC that was mostly because no one else volunteered). We've never formalized rules for hosting the General Discussion ST. I was just giving my opinion, particularly within the context of how I don't feel the same way about the speculation threads.
Didn’t think it was a slight at me or @Irene. Mainly wanted to get it more visibility in case members want to take the leap to be the OP. We do need to fill out the summer months at least, so let’s hope we have some brave volunteers…

btw tears of kingdom cut scenes have been leaked and up loaded please don't post on this site unless ya'll want to see this forum go BOOM!

Coworker: You available to do work on the 12th?

Me:
shaq-laughingn.gif
This just happened to me.

But it was me asking the question, phrased like "Is anything happening on the 12th?" And nobody said anything!

I scheduled myself into misery.

Didn’t think it was a slight at me or @Irene. Mainly wanted to get it more visibility in case members want to take the leap to be the OP. We do need to fill out the summer months at least, so let’s hope we have some brave volunteers…
My July is pretty open...I think I would do a pretty bad job, though.

Edit: Sorry for the double post. See? I'd be the worst!

The vinyl cutout packaging was nice as well.
There was also a mini six-issue comic series that came with the 7" picture disc single of Hurts Like Heaven!

The overall album had a lot of thought and care put into it; compared to a lot of other album releases on vinyl in the last decade or so they really didn't hold back on any details.

Don't know how true this is since I'm avoiding the leaks but apparently, the people who have tears of the kindgom early and are streaming it, are terrible at the game and are going through it very very slowly which is pretty funny. I don't know why but in general it seems people who stream leaked games early are all universally bad at the leaked games and have the chat getting annoyed at them being unable to do things.

Hey if we’re looking for a claim on August I’m crazy enough to do it, and I have a theme picked out already even 😄
Do it!

I was actually debating tagging a few people who are generally pretty active in these threads but have never hosted one, and you were on the list 😛

Like there’s something really satisfying seeing how Nintendo and their partners are able eke out miracles from this hardware that was already kinda aged when it debuted.
I generally find it more fascinating this way (weaker hardware, maximising what can be achieved by being smart and efficient about it) than the other way around. It's just more exciting to me. Also helps that much of the magic goes hand in hand with more stylized games, which I also generally prefer. Win-win!

So I start the day by being the Divine Dragon and I end the day planting corn on the backs of dragons in Rigbarth.

In the event someone starts posting major spoilers, and someone sees them before the mods remove them, is there a mod or mods that don't care that much about seeing the leaks ? I'd rather get a mod's attention (who's online of course) that doesn't care about seeing the leaks rather than someone who does care.

Me before starting FE: Engage; oh, I do hope I'll like this game.
Me after about two hours of gameplay; oh, this is just Mario + Rabbids (a game I loved) on steroids and anime.
There are few characters in the game that are actually on steroids. Push for Etie's social supports, you'll see.

Talking about FE Engage, I think I'll finally be able to end it this week. Just missing two paralogues and I believe 3 or 4 main chapters. After that I hope to end either Cadence of Hyrule or Minish Cap to try and get a badge before the release of TotK :).
Liked many stuff in the game, but the amount of characters and options sometimes felt overwhelming (specially with the DLC stuff added).
BTW yay for new topic!!! It's a really great OT.

I wasn’t expecting TOTK leaks quite this early, good luck dodging the spoilers everyone! We can do it.

In the event someone starts posting major spoilers, and someone sees them before the mods remove them, is there a mod or mods that don't care that much about seeing the leaks ? I'd rather get a mod's attention (who's online of course) that doesn't care about seeing the leaks rather than someone who does care.
Good point. I feel bad for the mods who don't want spoilers and I hope there's as little trolling / non-rule reading as possible.

So I will probably get ToTK (same as BOTW) digital so I might as well use the voucher. The problem is that there are 2 games I really want to get and supp given their niche: Bayo Origins and Advance Wars. I am leaning towards AW cause, I saw a copy of Bayo (physically, love the cover) at 40-ish, and AW came out recent. However I've been swimming in rpgs/strategy games all year and Bayo would be a nice palate cleanser (demo was great).

Regardless I will get both eventually (and play them later), it comes down to which do I want digital lol.

I’ve got a TOTK preorder in for the old price of $60 and I guess I might as well keep it. The vouchers are a better deal but I’d have to scrounge up an extra $40 to get a pair.

I still have to renew my Nintendo Switch Online because NINTENDO IS FORCING ME TO RENEW IT IN ORDER FOR MY TOTK PREORDER (WITH A VOUCHER I ALREADY BOUGHT) WHILE I HAD NSO BEFORE IT EXPIRED.

If that doesn’t make sense it’s because it doesn’t make sense. And I get it, I could renew for 3.99 but they know I won’t do that and they know that I will renew for the full $79.99 family membership with the Expansion Pass and barely get value out of it because I always think I’ll play way more than I actually do because Nintendo is laughing all the way to the bank right next to Sony making fun of me for having the top tier PS+ and Microsoft making fun of me for having GPU.

Is this what we call a rant?

So, apparently Redfall is bad. I know a lot of y'all were expecting this but it's still a huge shame

I was kind of looking forward to trying it. If it was a solid 7/10, might have been worth checking out on Game Pass during down time.

Didn't realize next week is also earnings week for Nintendo, Square-Enix, and Capcom. Gonna be a fun week with TotK capping it off :D

So, apparently Redfall is bad. I know a lot of y'all were expecting this but it's still a huge shame
Runs to go check his Fantasy Critic League standing

Huge AAA publishers like EA and Microsoft/Bethesda releasing buggy messes on the most powerful modern hardware while Nintendo is able to achieve near miracles from an outdated tablet.

Fucking wild.

Watched ACG's 14 minute review of it and holy cow there were so many bugs. There's a five second clip where he shoots at a vampire and the vampire just... freezes mid-animation, and stays like that. ACG even says it's competing with the TLoU PC port for being the buggiest release of 2023. Though aside from the technical details, he also mentions how confused Redfall seems to be. It apparently doesn't even feel like an Arkane game at all. Huge, huuuge shame.

Didn't realize next week is also earnings week for Nintendo, Square-Enix, and Capcom
Earnings report from Nintendo will be enlightening, might give us an idea for what they have for H2.

Huge AAA publishers like EA and Microsoft/Bethesda releasing buggy messes on the most powerful modern hardware while Nintendo is able to achieve near miracles from an outdated tablet
Obviously Xbox needs to release the Xbox successor already.

I don't think games are coming out buggier than ever before, at least not at historical highs. I think people forget how many buggy, middling games released on PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox. Heck, the NES had a ton of buggy ass games. I think there may have been a period where it seemed super buggy games were a thing of the past because a lot of the smaller third party studios closed, leaving only the big ones that had the time, resources, and manpower to develop games to an adequate quality. But as technology improves, the time, resources, and manpower needed to make a game increase. It takes 5 to 6 years to make one AAA game. Consider that the average person between 20 and 30 years old switches jobs every 3 years. So you literally have people not finishing projects to completion and many jumping in during the middle of developments. Some dev teams comprise of hundreds of people. Imagine coordinating all that work to make one cohesive project. There are a lot of hurdles to get through but if you're not retaining people, experience, and giving adequate time and funding, then of course many products will come out under baked.

Phil wenger.....i mean Phil Spencer...you had a good run but i think its time to go.

In his defense, the game was in the works before Microsoft bought Bethesda. The devs even admitted there was a PS5 version at one point. I think the game was just doomed from the start.

Just like with Suicide Squad, devs who are good at single-player games need to quit trying to make live-service games.

The only Microsoft developer I trust these days is Playground.
And even they have been quite quiet about Fable, which worries me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom