• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST19 April 2023| A tradition unlike any other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, it's been a while. I've been planning on starting a Direct thread on Monday, May 15. Does that work for everyone? I'd like to gauge the community's thoughts.

Not sure if anyone knows this, but what has been the post announcement output for GBA games on NSO? I'm on the fence but I'm hoping they drop more bangers at a faster pace.

Hey all, it's been a while. I've been planning on starting a Direct thread on Monday, May 15. Does that work for everyone? I'd like to gauge the community's thoughts.
That's way too soon, am telling your for your own good and am not saying that just as a Zelda fan since I know not everyone will be playing it. Start of June would make a better sense, altough am fully expecting a Direct to happen mid month so it will still be rather quick. But hey, if you feel like, just go for it. Or maybe even someone else wants to do it (?) since am not entirely on board with the idea of almost same people doing it everytime, that's like if these (General threads) were done by 1-2 people only everytime, but I understand that Direct Speculation is a topic that not everyone wants to start so it's fine. Last week of May around 25th would probably be the most ideal, altough I will not participate and due to TotK I don't expect this to be that hype at all (you know, not believer in hardware in 2023 and infamous June/July reveal).

Due to serious health issues I’m not going to be able to post on this forum anymore (or on any forum, to be frank). I know I’ve only been an occasional poster here but I’ve been lurking every day since the beginning so I feel like I came to know many of you and I’ve always found pleasure reading your posts. I hope you get to experience many cool Nintendo games. Goodbye and thank you all.

That feel when you download a 14GB update for Forbidden West thinking it’s the DLC only to find out that’s a separate 15GB installation.

someone else doing a thread would probably be appropriate, in which case timing will of course be up to them. If I retract my interest I'll have the privilege of just letting whatever happens happen

I just started Luigis Mansion 3 and I'm stunned, it looks beautiful!

Due to serious health issues I’m not going to be able to post on this forum anymore (or on any forum, to be frank). I know I’ve only been an occasional poster here but I’ve been lurking every day since the beginning so I feel like I came to know many of you and I’ve always found pleasure reading your posts. I hope you get to experience many cool Nintendo games. Goodbye and thank you all.

Sad to hear about your health issues. Life can really become a struggle at times, and I wish you the best.

Just know that your time here has been appreciated, occasional posters like yourself are still part of the community. Thank you, and good bye!

The physical release of Getsufumaden turns out to be a Limited Run release and that is so dissapointing. Sorry to offend anybody maybe, but LRG has been shit with communications, prices and availability. Hate how they have the industry on lock down when it comes to niche rereleases :(
We don't really know each other but I hope your health will improve and maybe you'll return here again someday.

Last edited:
That's way too soon, am telling your for your own good and am not saying that just as a Zelda fan since I know not everyone will be playing it. Start of June would make a better sense, altough am fully expecting a Direct to happen mid month so it will still be rather quick.
While I agree that I shouldn't be the one to do it, I disagree about the timing. The last thread started on New Year's Day despite the dominant opinion and eventual fact being a Direct in the second week of February. When people are already making threads asking about Direct timing, why should whoever makes the thread wait?

While I agree that I shouldn't be the one to do it, I disagree about the timing. The last thread started on New Year's Day despite the dominant opinion and eventual fact being a Direct in the second week of February. When people are already making threads asking about Direct timing, why should whoever makes the thread wait?
I mean, yeah, there could be Direct Thread right now but my point was that May 15th, 3 days after Zelda is too soon. But this is different situation than January since the biggest EPD release in years is coming in mid of May, just before the usual speculation timeframe so it's hard to do it justice. At the end of the day, I literally don't care when it drops, but I hope that whoever is doing it is aware that it can be way less active as any other threads because of this. We got to the point where it's to easy to predict these dates that I can already tell that there will be something before Pikmin 4 Direct.

I mean, yeah, there could be Direct Thread right now but my point was that May 15th, 3 days after Zelda is too soon. But this is different situation than January since the biggest EPD release in years is coming in mid of May, just before the usual speculation timeframe so it's hard to do it justice. At the end of the day, I literally don't care when it drops, but I hope that whoever is doing it is aware that it can be way less active as any other threads because of this. We got to the point where it's to easy to predict these dates that I can already tell that there will be something before Pikmin 4 Direct.
Yeah, I agree that the last thread was sort of the nail in the coffin for Direct speculation. Everything is on a pretty consistent schedule, so a thread would basically be a waiting room. I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with that, but I agree that the prospects for an exciting, enjoyable thread are sort of low.

Anyway, I'm no longer considering doing one. Anyone who wants to should hash it out with the community and probably check in with staff.

Yeah, I agree that the last thread was sort of the nail in the coffin for Direct speculation. Everything is on a pretty consistent schedule, so a thread would basically be a waiting room. I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with that, but I agree that the prospects for an exciting, enjoyable thread are sort of low.

Anyway, I'm no longer considering doing one. Anyone who wants to should hash it out with the community and probably check in with staff.
Yes, we sort of got to the point where it's pretty much consistent (it took us over 4 years!) apart from smaller concessions like June 2022 Partner (which if you look at it made still better sense as everything was announced already), Nintendo relying in consistent schedule is not a bad thing, as long as games are not predictable. Which they will gladly never be, and speculating on future software that can appear in x Direct is still a good amount of fun, just not the timing of the event itself.

I hope my comments didn't force you to give up, that was sort of a suggestion as you read, and only by one opinion.

I forgot that there is something happening this week: The SMT 30th Anniversary Event/Concert May 5th/6th

https://personacentral.com/smt-series-30th-anniversary-event/

Will this be where we get the rumored SMT 3/4/5 for all consoles? Something else like an SMTV:A? Or will it just be a concert, we get nothing, except maybe some random merch? Who knows! But it's at least something going on in the week before Zelda.

Hmm, I could do the next Direct Speculation thread, as I've never done one of those before. I'll have to brainstorm before I commit to anything though.

The next Direct Speculation thread can be the Second Half Speculation thread, seeing as Nintendo were kind enough to go as far as Pikmin 4 in July and then stop.

Genuinely sorry to hear this. Even despite your modest engagement, I recognize you from Metroid discussions you've participated in, and the occasional Yeah! you've thrown my way. Making heaps of posts isn't the only way to contribute positively toward the community. You lurked, but you were still noticed. It's a shame to see you go, but it's understandable, and I hope your health improves.

So uhm, I noticed that my game card slot for my Switch had some dirt speck or debris inside it. I used one of those camera lens air blower to clear it, what are the chances that whatever it was there got even more stuck?

Hello fami, since you're a bunch of weebs : what's the best Armored Core game (for a beginner) ?
511TQPVDBAL.jpg

I liked this one the most. Not dark and gritty like the HD era entries, it was just fun and engaging mecha shooter. Boss fights were tough, there was a swimming boss that I tried tens of times before I beat it.

The game also got ported to PSP, which I double dipped.

Not sure if anyone knows this, but what has been the post announcement output for GBA games on NSO? I'm on the fence but I'm hoping they drop more bangers at a faster pace.
It seems like they're alternating N64 and GBA games. The only GBA game we got after launch was Metroid Fusion in March with no N64 game then. In April it was Pokemon Stadium instead.

Just saw in the receipt they emailed me that Chili's charged me $7 for a tiny-ass bottle of Heineken. If I wanted to overpay for shitty beer, I'd... well, I guess I'd go to Chili's. They got me there.

So I made a mistake, went to watch the Saint Seiya live action movie.... I do not recommend it to anyone. Not fans of the original series nor to someone that never heard of it.
I watched it last Friday because I had two hours to kill and tbh I didn't hate it. It isn't good, but it also isn't DB Evolution.

At long last, my playtime for Xenoblade 3 has exceeded 2's to become my second most played Switch game behind Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Should there be any worry about games... even being de-emphasized but especially just being moved on from entirely? I understand it's been framed as a pipeline to games same with the park but seeing the sales of this when software and hardware sales have been declining idk I see some people who really gas up the movie tweet like "I wouldn't mind if Nintendo just became a production company lol" and like... I would

Idk probably irrational

Should there be any worry about games... even being de-emphasized but especially just being moved on from entirely? I understand it's been framed as a pipeline to games same with the park but seeing the sales of this when software and hardware sales have been declining idk I see some people who really gas up the movie tweet like "I wouldn't mind if Nintendo just became a production company lol" and like... I would

Idk probably irrational
I find the concern relatable, but thankfully Nintendo's roughly 1B USD investment into expanding internal development gives a clear sign of direction

Idk probably irrational

No. Software and hardware declines are due to sales returning back down from pandemic highs and because the Switch is basically its saturation point. There's fewer and fewer people to sell to each year. I don't understand the logic in thinking that Nintendo will abandon its very successful videogame business because they had one successful movie.

they obviously aren't gonna stop making Mario games but i'd say a slightly more realistic concern is it could become like Pokemon where the games become something of a cog in the multimedia franchise and get pushed out faster but the quality suffers for it

So I made a mistake, went to watch the Saint Seiya live action movie.... I do not recommend it to anyone. Not fans of the original series nor to someone that never heard of it.
I watched it last Friday because I had two hours to kill and tbh I didn't hate it. It isn't good, but it also isn't DB Evolution.
Dang us filthy Americans get this movie late

I might go see it because I have a Regal subscription and I got into Saint Seiya literally last year, but yeah I can’t say I have high hopes

so i just got the oled tears of the kingdom switch yesterday. does anyone have a screen protector they can recommend?

Final Fantasy XVI is the most hyped I've been for a FF since IX which is the last entry I actually liked, but at the same time I feel it's also going to sell worse than XV and VIIR. It's a weird feeling that I just can't shake off.

Dang us filthy Americans get this movie late

I might go see it because I have a Regal subscription and I got into Saint Seiya literally last year, but yeah I can’t say I have high hopes
I mean, you'd probably enjoy the movie more if you had not got into Saint Seiya, my gf did and she knew nothing about the series to the point was asking me all the time stuff about characters and things that did not exist in the original (and did not make much sense in the movie either).
Btw she did not think it was actually a good movie at the end, but she feels if it is given a chance for a second movie something enjoyable may come from it (myself, I hope there's no second one).

I don't understand the logic in thinking that Nintendo will abandon its very successful videogame business because they had one successful movie.
Remember the hand-wringing when Nintendo started dipping their toes into mobile? Same thing.

Final Fantasy XVI is the most hyped I've been for a FF since IX which is the last entry I actually liked, but at the same time I feel it's also going to sell worse than XV and VIIR. It's a weird feeling that I just can't shake off.
That's a likely scenario. They may pick up more sales long-term once it starts hitting other platforms, which is what happened with XV. And VIIR has the halo effect from VII being the biggest seller in the franchise.

But like this is the risk of locking your flagship series to a $399 and up system. $470 as the bar to entry is not something a lot of people are willing to do.

its locked to one platform for 70 dollars in a very busy month in very busy year of course its gonna sell less than its predecessors

Idk probably irrational
Bear in mind that's $1 billion revenue split between Nintendo, Universal, and cinema chains (and whatever the cast share is, too).

That's set against a videogame business revenue for Nintendo that was a touch under $14 billion, with net profit marginally under $4 billion, in the last fiscal year.

The bigger knock-on effect from the success of the Mario movie is more success for their theme park and merchandise, which was always the main goal of this whole venture. There's no chance this will lead to any kind of slow down in game production.

We’re two weeks away from one of Nintendo’s biggest game launches in history. They aren’t going to put less resources or money into games. If they didn’t do that in the Wii U era they certainly won’t do it now.

Before the threads change over, thanks @Josh5890 for hosting two(!) awesome STs this month. Was a surprisingly busy month for Nintendo between the Mario Movie, Advance Wars, and Future Redeemed. Excited for Zelda next month :)

I just came into some Wii balance boards at a garage sale for free. Can I check if these things are working without a copy of Wii Fit? Or even to see if they power on?

I assume I’m missing a cord, but if I had that could I? Never used one of these or played Wii Fit before so I’m clueless

I just came into some Wii balance boards at a garage sale for free. Can I check if these things are working without a copy of Wii Fit? Or even to see if they power on?

I assume I’m missing a cord, but if I had that could I? Never used one of these or played Wii Fit before so I’m clueless
AA Battery powered so could tell easy enough if they connect to the Wii. Has a blue light on it for the power. If you want punch out Wii you could use the balance board to play the game. I think it works for other things too.

*finishes Xenoblade 3 FR*

Damn, I really shouldn't need to dig into a wiki just to understand the progression of a game's story.

*remembers Xenogears*

...oh

how about that Zelda guy, huh? he's the talk of the famitown lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom