• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST18 March 2023| The physical version of ST18 will be available in stores next month

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is everyone? I just got back from a date that I hope went well. I had fun but it's always tough when you can't tell what the other thought of you.
Fingers crossed for you!

I'm doing really well thanks.
I am trying to type quietly cos my girlfriend has fallen asleep on the couch and I don't wanna wake her. She works so hard (kindergarten teacher) and is often so exhausted, so it makes me really happy to see her relax.

I still can't believe my luck, that I found someone so amazing who accepts me for who I am. Before we met I was 7 years single and starting to think I'd be forever alone.
Being autistic does tend to make dating and relationships extra complicated, but she's always been supportive and understanding. When I get excited and flap my hands, or infodump about games, she just smiles and says it makes me "sparkle".

Guess what I'm saying is, never give up, there really is someone out there for everyone.

Well I’m happy, finished 2 missions and unlocked a bonus class in FEWTH! Dancer. Which is useful as an extra sword class. Didn’t even know there was hidden classes. I mean outside character exclusive ones

Time to curl up in the loft with TGAA tho

The 4K extended editions of all the Midde Earth movies were on sale today for the digital versions so I grabbed them. I’ve only seen the theatrical LotR trilogy and The Unexpected Journey before so it’s a lot of new stuff for me.
Yesssss join the EE clubbbb

TwM8A6w.jpg

Fingers crossed for you!

I'm doing really well thanks.
I am trying to type quietly cos my girlfriend has fallen asleep on the couch and I don't wanna wake her. She works so hard (kindergarten teacher) and is often so exhausted, so it makes me really happy to see her relax.

I still can't believe my luck, that I found someone so amazing who accepts me for who I am. Before we met I was 7 years single and starting to think I'd be forever alone.
Being autistic does tend to make dating and relationships extra complicated, but she's always been supportive and understanding. When I get excited and flap my hands, or infodump about games, she just smiles and says it makes me "sparkle".

Guess what I'm saying is, never give up, there really is someone out there for everyone.
Thanks. I wasn't going to ask her out again tonight (too quick) but she messaged asking if I got home safe and then messaged again she had fun 😁 so I took that as a sign she at least wasn't going to dismiss me after one date. I'd like to think she would have said no before I even asked if the answer was no so as not to drag it out if she wasn't feeling it.

Thanks. I wasn't going to ask her out again tonight (too quick) but she messaged asking if I got home safe and then messaged again she had fun 😁 so I took that as a sign she at least wasn't going to dismiss me after one date. I'd like to think she would have said no before I even asked if the answer was no so as not to drag it out if she wasn't feeling it.
She only wants to be friends ☹️ my search for a partner continues.

Wonder what acquisitions Nintendo will make this year?

In the last 2 years they bought Next Level Games, SRD and Nintendo Pictures (Formerly known as Dynamo Pictures)

i hope Camelot since they are in need of a expansion, but i expect that to happen once the Takahashi bothers retire.

Watching a bunch of 3DS games you should buy before the eShop closes videos reminds me you often don't appreciate certain things in the moment and only realize how to when it's all over. The 3DS all things considered was a pretty cool system and it kind marked a last hurrah of an era. Didn't have the best graphics. But many of the games had lots of depth, played well, had tons of content, all for $40. The devs could kind of make what they wanted to make and only needed to sell to a specific audience. But with the Switch, the "handheld" games now share the space and price point with the "console" games. Now necessarily an entirely bad thing. But on 3DS, a company like Atlus could churn out several, diverse RPGs while they have struggled to consistently release games on modern platforms, including the Switch. Then there's the odd handheld spinoffs like Final Fantasy Explorers. Nothing really special on the 3DS but something that would likely never get made on a console.

I remember on the GBA not thinking too much about the 2D graphics of the games on that system. 2D games have had been around forever and of course the games on the GBA are just better looking versions of what came before. But it's only years later did I realize how good many GBA games looked and I only realized that after 2D games stopped being made in mass. In that era, Capcom was churning out Mega Man games like crazy, ultimately diluting the enthusiasm for them but people desperately hope for the announcement of just even one.

So here's to you 3DS. Here's to the work nights playing Bravely Default in bed while watching TV. Here's the time I injured my hand while playing Kid Icarus Uprising without using the stand. Here's to the time I started playing Luigi's Mansion 2 while sleeping on the couch downstairs because the AC in the upstairs broke. Here's to playing Majora's Mask 3D because I couldn't get to work due to a snow storm. Here's to playing Xenoblade at my grandma's condo because there's no internet and only 1 TV in the whole place. If there was ever a system to describe as cozy, you were it.

I had never heard of this guy but Youtube randomly linked me to this video about Knowledge Based Games and it's really interesting:

It helps put into words what some of my favorite games of recent years have done, in fact most of the games he talks about I love and this helped me realize why.

I already love the simple Metroidvania concept of "Get new powerup -> remember a place to go use it = you feel both more powerful and smart". Metroidvania is one of my favorite genres (if you can call it that), so that alone is something I really love. Similar concept with Zelda dungeons and dungeon items.

But when games make progression and discovery focus more on knowledge, and even use knowledge itself as a powerup, that's a step beyond. Pretty much all From games do that to an extent, especially his example pick of Sekiro. Outer Wilds is another obvious choice. And part of the reason I found Tunic to be so, so good is that is blends both knowledge based progression (the manual pages, learning how everything works) with more traditional Metroidvania item/powerups, too.

Anyway, was a fun thing to think about. Anyone else have some favorite games that use knowledge like that?

Fuck, now I have to say I dislike “knowledge based games” and it makes me look dumb…

Yesssss join the EE clubbbb

TwM8A6w.jpg
I think the main reason I became a cinephile, to the point where I dreamt of becoming a director one day, was because of the making-off they had in this boxes. It was so insightful and interesting. If you don’t own them, though, and have a way to read them, you should get the 4K extended editions as well! They unfortunately don’t have all the bonus, but fix a lot of color grading issues of the EE to make them look like the theatrical releases.

Wonder what acquisitions Nintendo will make this year?

In the last 2 years they bought Next Level Games, SRD and Nintendo Pictures (Formerly known as Dynamo Pictures)

i hope Camelot since they are in need of a expansion, but i expect that to happen once the Takahashi bothers retire.

If there's an acquisition it's gonna be something unexpected, maybe a small company they've worked with for years that most people don't even know, like CAProduction for example.

I wonder who will be in the next advance wars rebootcamp countdown tweet if they’re going through all the commanders

The ending vocal theme in Fire emblem Engage is probably the best one the series had lol. What a whiplash compared to the opening theme

It’s sung pretty well in English and flows well. I like the more somber tone.

Hey again lovely people! Real life has been nuts lately but I think I’m settling into a groove again so hopefully I’ll be more active in the April thread. I hope everyone is doing well and if not that things will improve soon!

Expecting good times ahead in the next month now that the Wii U and 3DS are riding out into the sunset and TotK hype season should be getting underway.

I feel like I’ve been out of the loop and haven’t a lot of time for gaming so I think next month will be a nice reset for me. And hopefully being more present here in the general thread will be part of that.

I believe this was announced early this year. I was not expecting a strategy rpg lol.

I really don't understand what's the deal about light novels. Why are so many of them about video games? Not any video game that's popular in Japan even. This, How to pick up girls in dungeons, Overlord, even SAO they're all about some fictional World of Warcraft clone that's super popular in Japan. Has an MMO ever been popular in Japan anyway?

This thread has been sloooooow lately, we need some Zelda news or something stat! At least April (which is usually also a very slow month) will have the Mario movie and the Zelda hype train and everything this year.

This thread has been sloooooow lately, we need some Zelda news or something stat! At least April (which is usually also a very slow month) will have the Mario movie and the Zelda hype train and everything this year.
It's been slow because the Zelda discussion is in the Zelda thread(s) and the Mario movie discussion is in the Mario movie thread.

What this thread needs is some grade-A shitposting

First ice cream truck of the year just went by. Summer is here!
Since I'm in the Phoenix AZ area, we tend to get ice cream trucks year round. But a particularly robust one (had hot dogs, burgers and nachos available) came by yesterday, and it had a soft serve machine. I ordered a chocolate cone, and apparently hulked out too hard holding it because the cone snapped and my ice cream hit the ground. The guy who ran it was nice enough to replace it for free though.

In this trying time I encourage people to check out Cereza and the Lost Demon. It is a great game. The trailers don't do it justice at all.

you guys have power today? those winds yesterday were nuts. i never lost power in the akron area, but i know lots of other places did
Yup. Lights flickered just a bit, but nothing went out. My sister and her family sent us pictures of a few segments of their fence that fell over. I'm glad we don't have a pool anymore, as the cover would likely be in someone else's backyard after those gusts.

I blame @chocolate_supra. I have almost 50 more posts, which means he’s slacking big time in here.
Checking older General threads, it looks like you have almost twice as many posts here as you usually do, so it's not me slacking, it's you blast processing.

*checks his own previous post counts*
Oh.
Oh I am slacking. 😅

Or, for those less into dancing and grooving on a Sunday and just want to chill and vibe to some Metroid atmosphere:

I really don't understand what's the deal about light novels. Why are so many of them about video games? Not any video game that's popular in Japan even. This, How to pick up girls in dungeons, Overlord, even SAO they're all about some fictional World of Warcraft clone that's super popular in Japan. Has an MMO ever been popular in Japan anyway?
I believe light novels are still popular and a bunch of the ones you named were circulating in the 2010s so seeing them adapted in to anime and now games is not that farfetched. The quality of the adaptation is another story lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom