• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST18 March 2023| The physical version of ST18 will be available in stores next month

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Wick 4 spoilers:
How the fuck did they manage to make an adaptation of Hotline Miami and Frogger in the same damn movie???

I’m a huge nerd for etymology and why things are named what they are, like the months and days of the week and such, and recently found this channel and have lost soooo much time. Check it out if you want a fun rabbit hole to fall down:

I’m a huge nerd for etymology and why things are named what they are, like the months and days of the week and such, and recently found this channel and have lost soooo much time. Check it out if you want a fun rabbit hole to fall down:

I wish you didn’t post this because I know I will just binge watch this sort of stuff!

I’m pretty blown away by how Gust seems to have reused the entire map from Ryza 1 but removed the loading zones for Ryza 3. Really shows how much they’ve learned about the engine/hardware in a single generation.

Holy shit John Wick 4 was phenomenal! It feels like a video game disguised as a movie (especially the last hour), and it is GLORIOUS.

Credits rolling on Cereza and the Lost Demon. Play it now people it is a really good game. Okami + Metroidvania + Bayonetta = delicious goodness.

What Metroid was 20 years ago

metroid-prime-gamecube-screenshot-the-chilly-phendrana-drifts.jpg

How you remember Metroid was 20 years ago

why-am-i-crying-v0-E0vtji_wzDZQtQT8152WEGRntJ2qMgZmOwks3tqITdQ.png

1. FIFA 23 – 1,755,857
2. CAll of Duty: Modern Warfare II – 791,338
3. Pokemon Legends: Arceus – 589,375
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 451,254
5. Nintendo Switch Sports – 432,685
6. FIFA 22 – 423,702
7. Pokemon Violet – 416,537
8. Grand Theft Auto V – 400,953
9. God of War: Ragnarok – 368,726
10. Horizon Forbidden West – 354,402
11. Gran Turismo 7 – 353,771
12. Elden Ring – 202,597
13. Pokemon Scarlet – 300,489
14. Mario Strikers: Battle League – 270,772
15. Splatoon 3 – 257,309
16. Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 256,557
17. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition – 252,994
18. Mario Party Superstars – 246,328
19. Kirby and the Forgotten Land – 218,473
20. NBA 2K23 – 171,291

I’m a huge nerd for etymology and why things are named what they are,
Same, same! It's been interesting to me with German and English already, but ever since I got to study Latin and Classical Greek, I've been having so much more fun with understanding where certain names and designations come from. It's pretty amazing, tbh, even though most names are actually rather simple in how they've been constructed and ultimately only sound fancy because, well, it's Latin and/or Greek inspired, haha.

Do what, press the reset button? I used a thumbtack pin I think. It’s the little hole on the back of the controller. Press and hold it for 10 seconds or so, then plug it into the console directly and leave it for a bit to charge up and sync again.
ope I meant charge a dualshock 4

Back home from GDC. Currently fighting the jetlag. But have seen quite some cool indies as well :). Also some interesting game industry insights. All in all a good GDC.

Games I want to highlight:

Just came here to say that Prime Remastered is fine and all, but the Yoshi's Island arrangements they made for Mario Kart 8 might be the best Nintendo thing of the year so far. By jolly, they completely nailed what those original tracks were going for back in the day to a shocking extent. Deelish.

It took me way too long to figure it out how to get funds on my 3DS, but I finally have Pokemon Bank and Pokemon Transporter up and running at the last minute

I got a Blaziken from 20 years ago (Jesus Christ) still on Black 2, and I wasn't about to leave a good man behind

Did anyone read this? It's only an inch, lol.
Then those are some tiny ass leaves in the picture 😅

Just came here to say that Prime Remastered is fine and all, but the Yoshi's Island arrangements they made for Mario Kart 8 might be the best Nintendo thing of the year so far. By jolly, they completely nailed what those original tracks were going for back in the day to a shocking extent. Deelish.
Yoshi's Island is still one of my GOATs, so I guess I'll finally have to break down and buy Mario Kart now, just for that experience.
or I guess I could youtube it

So that just came out today. For anyone paying attention there’s really nothing new in here; however, I think it important that we continue to see analysis of these businesses being put out more frequently then before. It’s a very basic primer on why Nintendo’s business operates differently. Though I disagree with certain comments by Patcher.

So that just came out today. For anyone paying attention there’s really nothing new in here; however, I think it important that we continue to see analysis of these businesses being put out more frequently then before. It’s a very basic primer on why Nintendo’s business operates differently. Though I disagree with certain comments by Patcher.

Pachter should long since have stopped being treated as a credible or worthwhile source of analysis relating to Nintendo. Thankfully he doesn't pop up every other week any more, as he did when Wii was on the market.

Pachter should long since have stopped being treated as a credible or worthwhile source of analysis relating to Nintendo. Thankfully he doesn't pop up every other week any more, as he did when Wii was on the market.
He’s actually not that bad in this particular video outside of one comment. I think it because he is probably the easiest to get too & most recognizable analyst to get to that he appears a lot. Thankfully as time has gone on & more business analysis videos on the industry has come out, they are using him less and less.

Pachter is a funny guy, back in the day around 2015/16 it was literally every week comment from Pachter, he was especially bad around Nintendo things that it's even unreal, no to mention his Iwata fiasco which was not great.

Who is Pikmin tho??

Pachter being positive about Nintendo

we're doomed

OIP.png

I had never heard of this guy but Youtube randomly linked me to this video about Knowledge Based Games and it's really interesting:

It helps put into words what some of my favorite games of recent years have done, in fact most of the games he talks about I love and this helped me realize why.

I already love the simple Metroidvania concept of "Get new powerup -> remember a place to go use it = you feel both more powerful and smart". Metroidvania is one of my favorite genres (if you can call it that), so that alone is something I really love. Similar concept with Zelda dungeons and dungeon items.

But when games make progression and discovery focus more on knowledge, and even use knowledge itself as a powerup, that's a step beyond. Pretty much all From games do that to an extent, especially his example pick of Sekiro. Outer Wilds is another obvious choice. And part of the reason I found Tunic to be so, so good is that is blends both knowledge based progression (the manual pages, learning how everything works) with more traditional Metroidvania item/powerups, too.

Anyway, was a fun thing to think about. Anyone else have some favorite games that use knowledge like that?

The 4K extended editions of all the Midde Earth movies were on sale today for the digital versions so I grabbed them. I’ve only seen the theatrical LotR trilogy and The Unexpected Journey before so it’s a lot of new stuff for me.

How is everyone? I just got back from a date that I hope went well. I had fun but it's always tough when you can't tell what the other thought of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom