• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST18 March 2023| The physical version of ST18 will be available in stores next month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, I had hoped it'd be dumb fun, not just dumb 😞
Me too, man. Honestly I think what bugged me was just the lack of overall world building. I guess that was probably to be expected with only a 90 minute runtime, but there was absolutely no suspension of disbelief, and just so many unanswered questions it just expects you to accept.

To describe how very mundane my tastes in movies are, is that I love each and every Jurassic Park/World movies ranging from genuinely good to a fun campy popcorn flick. Put it this way, Pacific Rim did more for Kaiju films while Godzilla was snoozing than whatever 65 even dared hope to achieve while Jurassic is taking a sabbatical. For a movie that wanted to shake the grip that franchise has on dinosaurs being used in Hollywood movies, it didn't do a damn thing.

I wouldn't even call the creatures "dinosaurs" in the traditional sense of the word. If you want to talk non-descript theme park dinosaurs, then Indominus Rex holds more scientific weight than any lizard on screen in 65.

If you want to talk non-descript theme park dinosaurs, then Indominus Rex holds more scientific weight than any lizard on screen in 65.
. . . . . . . damn

I was stoked about Pizza Tower but I’ve heard there’s some significantly racist shit in it

and that when someone asked about it the dude who made the game said some homophobic shit as a fun bonus

so

I was stoked about Pizza Tower but I’ve heard there’s some significantly racist shit in it

and that when someone asked about it the dude who made the game said some homophobic shit as a fun bonus

so
well fuck there goes my stokedness for the game as well

so
He apologized about the stuff he said five years ago, but how good the apology is up to interpretation, and I think the racist thing that people are talking about is Mr. pinch who is based on Ebeneezer Scrooge and Mr. Burns, but could be interpreted as a racist Jewish stereotype

My last month that I played the Wii U! At this point it was a Netflix, Splatoon and Xenoblade X machine. Also had a few friends on Miiverse at the time.
16dd8dcc6a801340dbd385f53f16c9574e15f1ea.jpg

I wish I could make the joke about 65 being a 6.5 out of 10, but that's being a little too generous.

At the end of the day it's just... forgettable, and I honestly regret my $7 half price Tuesday movie ticket a little more than the $25 I spent on popcorn, a drink and some M&Ms (but not by much).
That's a shame. Even though I'm not a big Adam Driver fan, I planned on watching 65 because ... well, DINOOOSSS 😍

My last month that I played the Wii U! At this point it was a Netflix, Splatoon and Xenoblade X machine. Also had a few friends on Miiverse at the time.
16dd8dcc6a801340dbd385f53f16c9574e15f1ea.jpg
I think March 2017 - perhaps April 2017 - would be my last Wii U month, and it would just be Breath of the Wild. What a way for it to go out, though.

I already have travel fever, despite my Japan trip being a month away.

Wondering what to bring in terms of games. I have to wait in transit in India for 7 hours, so gonna need something substantial to kill time. Thinking of Persona 3, that kind of RPG might be perfect for traveling.

Wondering what to bring in terms of games. I have to wait in transit in India for 7 hours, so gonna need something substantial to kill time. Thinking of Persona 3, that kind of RPG might be perfect for traveling.
Please post lots of pics. I've been really wanting to go to Japan but my anxiety is really bad traveling. I may do a smaller trip to Aruba this May just to see if I can do it/relax while traveling.

I've had a blast with Metroid Prime Remastered until the Omega Pirate fight, then it became an absolute unfun slog. I cannot stand any part of the game that has Fission Metroids in it, either.
see, idk… I kinda like the Metroid dread

I’m so sorry, I had to make this joke

Please post lots of pics. I've been really wanting to go to Japan but my anxiety is really bad traveling. I may do a smaller trip to Aruba this May just to see if I can do it/relax while traveling.

Of course! I’ll be happy to share my experience in Super Nintendo World in the Theme Parks thread too.

He apologized about the stuff he said five years ago, but how good the apology is up to interpretation, and I think the racist thing that people are talking about is Mr. pinch who is based on Ebeneezer Scrooge and Mr. Burns, but could be interpreted as a racist Jewish stereotype
nah it’s the cheese being all the worst parts of racist cartoon native american stereotypes

not that hundreds of other games don’t do it, and it’s fucked up every time

and I kinda resent the β€œfive years ago” framing like it was chill for straight people to call shit β€œfβ€’β€’β€’β€’try” in 2018

What level did y'all make it to on BotW?

They targeted gamers.

Gamers.

We're a group of people who will sit for hours, days, even weeks on end performing some of the hardest, most mentally demanding tasks. Over, and over, and over all for nothing more than a little digital token saying we did.

We'll punish our selfs doing things others would consider torture, because we think it's fun.

We'll spend most if not all of our free time min maxing the stats of a fictional character all to draw out a single extra point of damage per second.

Many of us have made careers out of doing just these things: slogging through the grind, all day, the same quests over and over, hundreds of times to the point where we know evety little detail such that some have attained such gamer nirvana that they can literally play these games blindfolded.

Do these people have any idea how many controllers have been smashed, systems over heated, disks and carts destroyed 8n frustration? All to latter be referred to as bragging rights?

These people honestly think this is a battle they can win? They take our media? We're already building a new one without them. They take our devs? Gamers aren't shy about throwing their money else where, or even making the games our selves. They think calling us racist, mysoginistic, rape apologists is going to change us? We've been called worse things by prepubescent 10 year olds with a shitty head set. They picked a fight against a group that's already grown desensitized to their strategies and methods. Who enjoy the battle of attrition they've threatened us with. Who take it as a challange when they tell us we no longer matter. Our obsession with proving we can after being told we can't is so deeply ingrained from years of dealing with big brothers/sisters and friends laughing at how pathetic we used to be that proving you people wrong has become a very real need; a honed reflex.

Gamers are competative, hard core, by nature. We love a challange. The worst thing you did in all of this was to challange us. You're not special, you're not original, you're not the first; this is just another boss fight.

I love travelling but it's become much harder since I developed a long term health condition. Japan is definitely somewhere I want to go but the length of the journey alone is a massive issue. I'll manage sometime, I'm sure.

and I kinda resent the β€œfive years ago” framing like it was chill for straight people to call shit β€œfβ€’β€’β€’β€’try” in 2018
yeah, sorry about that i never meant to insinuate anything other than just giving a time frame, wrote this while sleep deprived so I should have preferences that

My workmail is out of control, so I set up some rules and decided to run them...
"Only" 28 minutes left for them to re-organize my shit and meanwhile.. I entered the TotK thread for the first time in a few days, and man..

Without throwing anyone speicifc under the bus - It's all kinds of crazyness going on in there, I probably need to stay out for my own sanitys sake lol.

last time i went to japan we stayed in a room with a view of mount fuji. we were there a few days and it was only on the last day we actually had a view of mount fuji, or so we thought. y’know how when u look to the horizon and be like oh yh dey be mountains over der, turns out we were looking in the wrong place. mount fuji was ABOVE the clouds the whole time. so when i say it engulfed the horizon, it was ALL you could see. my brain could not comprehend the sheer magnitude of that volcano. like it just looked like clouds but then when u spot it it’s one of the most breathtaking things you’ll ever see.

That's a shame. Even though I'm not a big Adam Driver fan, I planned on watching 65 because ... well, DINOOOSSS 😍
Literally my exact same thought process too haha, but even after setting my expectations super low, like what I had going into Pacific Rim, it wasn't even nearly as fun as that.

...I kinda wanna rewatch Pacific Rim now

Pacific Rim will always be good no matter what one thinks of the story and all.

Because it has a giant robo mech beating up a giant monster with a rocket-boosted punch.

yeah, sorry about that i never meant to insinuate anything other than just giving a time frame, wrote this while sleep deprived so I should have preferences that
oh no worries, I didn’t mean your post β€” I just mean some of the discussion I’ve seen around it online in general, a lot of people are really leaning into the β€œfive years ago” thing

it was just disappointing because the game looked zany enough to be something interesting

and I’m sure that’s still true

but there’s just shit I’m not abiding

does it stop me from playing Yoshi’s Island? not as much as it should, though it was never a good thing to include and begets more of the same

will it stop me from playing a recent game? definitely

and like, the dude has said shitty things, and some of that truly may just be that brand of internet-fueled shock humor that doesn’t have any weight of opinion behind it, but that doesn’t sit in a vacuum and supports the kind of people who actually want to destroy me both legislatively and in passing

capturing the essence of the fucked up shit from the 90s, and everything that influenced that, shouldn’t be uncritical

like no matter how ironic or detached or memey, what you put into the world has the highest degree of influence at face value. very few people read the liner notes, contexts always fade

which isn’t to say this is even that β€” I’m certainly not saying that the dude is racist, homophobic, and transphobic β€œjust for the gag of it” β€” but if that was his internal reasoning, it doesn’t make it all somehow okay

Literally my exact same thought process too haha, but even after setting my expectations super low, like what I had going into Pacific Rim, it wasn't even nearly as fun as that.

Pacific Rim unfortunately rules

I went into that movie with very low expectations, but it knew what it was and wanted to be and was much better for it

I love travelling but it's become much harder since I developed a long term health condition. Japan is definitely somewhere I want to go but the length of the journey alone is a massive issue. I'll manage sometime, I'm sure.
I have back issues that would make the trip very uncomfortable for me. But I've been wanting to go since I was in 5th grade (I'm 34 now). Maybe I'll wait until I find a partner so I don't have to go alone. That would make it a bit more bearable.

Hopped on Twitter briefly on my phone, turns out unless I give Muskrat $8 a month for Twitter Blue I have to turn off 2FA.

I was quite content to let my account languish and use the site maybe once a month until it implodes, but fuck I am not keen on the site imploding with reduced security. Guess I finally have to delete my account.

Pacific Rim will always be good no matter what one thinks of the story and all.

Because it has a giant robo mech beating up a giant monster with a rocket-boosted punch.
Truthfully I still think back to a frigate ship being dragged out of the water and used like a baseball bat to smack a kaiju over the head like it's behind on its protection payments.

...ugh, I really want to rewatch the movie but I haven't had the chance to set up my Govee TV LED backlights yet and I know that would be the perfect movie to do it with lol. Gotta set a reminder to do that πŸ˜‹

Pacific Rim unfortunately rules

I went into that movie with very low expectations, but it knew what it was and wanted to be and was much better for it
Right? Character development, story arc, societal commentary; it's not winning any awards.

Mechas vs Kaiju? Idris Elba's natural gravitas? 10/10, capital 'M' Movie of the forever

Yesss, love Pacific Rim! Just my kind of movie. I'll take your word, then, as far as 65 is concerned.

Hm, still need to watch the second Pacific Rim, tho.

Yesss, love Pacific Rim! Just my kind of movie. I'll take your word, then, as far as 65 is concerned.

Hm, still need to watch the second Pacific Rim, tho.
no you don't
I've heard horrid things about the sequel...but it still isn't quite enough to stop me.

I've heard at least the animated films on Netflix are significantly better, though, if you still have a craving for more from that universe (and until Legendary signs a deal with Toho to get a Godzilla/Pacific Rim crossover)

I've had a blast with Metroid Prime Remastered until the Omega Pirate fight, then it became an absolute unfun slog. I cannot stand any part of the game that has Fission Metroids in it, either.
It became an unfun slog for me as well when I got to Phazon Mines. It's like they decided to amplify the worst aspects of the game by making them more frequent and slower. In comparison, 2D Metroid gets better and more fun to play the closer you are to the end.

Okay, I'm fighting the Metroid Prime now and can safely say that the worst part of the game is confined to a very "short" section, which unfortunately is the very end up until the final boss. The final boss is fine though. Just putting off beating it.

All in all? Absolutely had a blast playing this game, and it stands (in my opinion) as a perfect 3D translation of the 2D Metroid experience.

Okay, I'm fighting the Metroid Prime now and can safely say that the worst part of the game is confined to a very "short" section, which unfortunately is the very end up until the final boss. The final boss is fine though. Just putting off beating it.

All in all? Absolutely had a blast playing this game, and it stands (in my opinion) as a perfect 3D translation of the 2D Metroid experience.
Just rush through that short section, don't stop to actually fight the fission metroids, it's very easy to just run past them.

I've heard horrid things about the sequel...but it still isn't quite enough to stop me.

I've heard at least the animated films on Netflix are significantly better, though, if you still have a craving for more from that universe (and until Legendary signs a deal with Toho to get a Godzilla/Pacific Rim crossover)
I think it's just kind of a bummer because of how good and fun the first one was.

I think it's just kind of a bummer because of how good and fun the first one was.
Falls into a trap of its own hubris thinking it needs to take itself seriously, I take it?

I mean, PR has enough of a grip on pop culture now that I don't think the series is dead in the water forever, but I think they're also taking their time with the threequel to ensure they don't misstep like they did with Uprising.

Fission metroids aren’t that bad. Agree the worst enemy in the game, but power bomb makes it super easy. I will say though, playing the Wii version with weapon swap needing motion controls makes it much more irritating to fight with the arm cannon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom