• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST 12 Sep 2022| Trails From Splatoon 03

The First Fami Splatfest: Which Team Will You Join?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never in my life have I identified so much with a meme until tonight.

An uncle decided it was time to marry again so he celebrated a small wedding (mind you, this was a "small" mexican wedding = 100-200 people) and did I felt disconnected from everything:
  • I greeted around 50 people which are suposed to be direct family. I only recognized like 15 of them. There were cousins I honestly never knew they existed and for the rest I didn't even remember their names (though this is on me, there is a big age gap with my cousins about 15-20 years so there's not much we share in common so we don't get to hang out)
  • The dj music volume and the lights, holy shit, there is no way to socialize when you can't even hear yourself and you have blinding lights every 10 seconds.S strangely enough people were chatting normally and I'm like "where do I learn that skill??"
  • The fog machines: as if not being able to hear anything wasn't enough, let's add fake smoke. Now you can't see!
  • Dinner time: the food was very good, but it's the time when your already drunk and homophobic uncle tries to get you drunk too:
    Uncle: "mijo, have some mezcal/tequila"
    Me: "uncle, I can't I'm designated driver and this place is 30 minutes away from the city"
    Uncle: "mijo no sea puto (don't be a fag), just one, what's the worst it could happen"
    me: "crashing and dying"
  • The formal attire: Where did we went wrong as species so that someone had to say "you know. we should put fake pockets in formal suits". Being a wedding you have the wedding passes (one for each family member), the valet parking ticket, cellphone and your own stuff, thank god for those fake pockets so I can put them there (and no, these aren't the ones that are sewn and you can cut them open, these were like just the pocket flap and a button glued over the suit)
So I was basically like this minus the "I'm hungry"

2kWDZXw.jpg

My local news is running a story on how "quiet quitting" is harmful for your health

Like they really wanna make working-class people feel guilty in any way they fuckin can

BEFORE I FORGET!!!

Question 1: What is your favorite multiplayer game and/or memory?

For competitive games, summer 2008 was filled with playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Met a bunch of new people that summer st a country club we won a membership to and we all chilled around my Wii in the cabana to play. I miss having big groups of people to play Smash with, it's the one thing keeping me from investing as much time into Ultimate.

For coop, me and my three best friends at the time spent an entire summer going through Super Mario 3D World at my house. We slowly but surely made it through every level. Beating Champion's Road together felt so triumphant.

Question 2: Animal themed games are becoming more and more popular. We had Untitled Goose Game a few years ago and this month we have Stray releasing physically and of course Splatoon 3, a very scientifically accurate Squid experience. What animal themed game do you want to see next and what does it roughly look like if you were to design it?

Spur of the moment thought - a seagull game where you take food from tourists would be pretty amusing.
Question 1 - It would be a tie between two extremely vivid memories: A) visiting a friend's house to play video games. Typically he's an Xbox player and I'm Nintendo, so usually in our 1 on 1 matches of Halo 2 he'd win, and while playing Super Smash Bros Melee I'd win. Except that one fateful day, both of us swapped skills. I was dominating match after match in Halo 2, and he kicked my ass like six times in a row in Melee no matter who I played. It was just such a surreal moment that we still reminisce about that day now and then. There was an innocence, back then.

The other memory was a birthday party I had in 2006 while in high school. Me and six friends in total, crammed in my basement rec room with my Gamecube, but two of my friends brought their spare CRT TV's (god bless 'em), one of them brought along their 360, and another friend brought his PS2. Three TVs, each console with four controllers each, all cycling between Smash, Mario Kart, Custom Robo, Mario Party, Starfox Assault, F-Zero GX, SSX Tricky (on Gamecube and PS2 at the same time I recall), TimeSplitters 3, Twisted Metal Black, Halo 2. God...that was just a gaming blur of absolute bliss being lame nerds.

Question 2 - I mean, I would say dinosaurs but I'm already lowkey excited for Path of Titans if it turns out to be a halfway decent port. But like...animal themed games, either I'm incredibly unoriginal or we really go through the gamut of options. De(eee)er, Goat, Dolphin, Cat, Bee, Sharks, Bear, Goose, mouse, scorpion, tarantula...

Like at this point all I can think of is tardigrade, but it's just so obscure that at that point it might as well be a goofy city builder.

The formal attire: Where did we went wrong as species so that someone had to say "you know. we should put fake pockets in formal suits". Being a wedding you have the wedding passes (one for each family member), the valet parking ticket, cellphone and your own stuff, thank god for those fake pockets so I can put them there (and no, these aren't the ones that are sewn and you can cut them open, these were like just the pocket flap and a button glued over the suit)
I see that the evil men designing women clothes are now designing men clothes as well, now

What even is quiet quitting

It sounds… ominous
It's when you don't do work outside your job description or don't work outside of hours when you aren't paid to. Like say you are supposed to clock out at 5:00 and someone presents you with a task at 4:55 that you know will take hours to do properly so you start it maybe, but still leave right at 5:00. It's a garbage term being pushed more and more aggressively to get people to accept it.

You should never work if you aren't getting paid for it. Especially so if there's even a chance you get hurt off the clock and companies are off the hook.

Question 1: I’ve had a lot of good multiplayer memories throughout my life, its hard to pick just one. There’s just so many! One that stands out in my mind was a Christmas in college, maybe it was 2010, when my best friend came home for the holidays. We spent every night that week staying up late into the night playing New Super Mario Bros Wii together. That was a ton of fun. He lives on the other side of the country now, and I haven’t seen him in over five years, so looking back, NSMB Wii is a special game for me.

Question 2: Nothing can really top Goose Game for me, soooooo if there were to be another animal game, i want Goose Game 2.

It's when you don't do work outside your job description or don't work outside of hours when you aren't paid to. Like say you are supposed to clock out at 5:00 and someone presents you with a task at 4:55 that you know will take hours to do properly so you start it maybe, but still leave right at 5:00. It's a garbage term being pushed more and more aggressively to get people to accept it.

You should never work if you aren't getting paid for it. Especially so if there's even a chance you get hurt off the clock and companies are off the hook.
Wait, so let me get this straight: not doing work you are not paid to do or not working outside working hours is considered "quitting"? Jezus....

It's when you don't do work outside your job description or don't work outside of hours when you aren't paid to
Not quite what I expected with the term “quitting”. Weird.
Like say you are supposed to clock out at 5:00 and someone presents you with a task at 4:55
Not surprised that people do this but still, this is asshole behavior. Why the heck would anyone give you work right before you go home? It’s either malice or incompetence.

Hear, hear. Oh boy did I get hit with this a few times. A few, grueling times.

Wait, so let me get this straight: not doing work you are not paid to do or not working outside working hours is considered "quitting"? Jezus....
Anything to psychologically manipulate people into working more for less pay!

It's part of the big campaign by big businesses to get everyone back into the office. Companies are intentionally guilting the working class because wfh was unexpectedly great for worker morale and productivity but bad for oil companies, transit companies, restaurants, and especially unpaid overtime.

So they can't claim working from home is ruining the company, they need to find some other way to guilt people to come back in and give them free work.

Morning, Really just want to game today and work on xbc3 and FEWTH . Tho depending on the flow of things maybe I’ll start my gunpla storage reorganization project
I honestly do wonder why women’s clothes don’t have pockets. Even the jeans have crappy shallow pockets. It’s weird.

What even is quiet quitting

It sounds… ominous
It’s a negative buzzword for having a proper life/work balance and not being pressured into taking unpaid overtime

Wow. So I guess the pendulum is swinging away from "work-life balance" being the buzzword du jour 😡

Was happy to see more answers for the first round of thread questions roll in this last night. Been enjoying hearing about all of your best multiplayer memories and so many clever ideas for the Animal game question. I want to see all of them come to life!

We are entering the last 18 hours of the Splatoon inspired Round 1 as this game runs on Pacific Time, though feel free to start round 2 when the date rolls over for you! But yes if you haven't answered, now's a great time! Don't forget pizza pictures are welcome all month long!

Round 1: September Splatember 1 – 10th. (Splatoon time!)

Question 1: What is your favorite multiplayer game and/or memory?
Question 2: Animal themed games are becoming more and more popular. We had Untitled Goose Game a few years ago and this month we have Stray releasing physically and of course Splatoon 3, a very scientifically accurate Squid experience. What animal themed game do you want to see next and what does it roughly look like if you were to design it?

Well here’s what I did most the day yesterday instead of gaming

IMG_5736.jpg

IMG_5738.jpg

They did turn out pretty good. Well I did get in a FEWTH mission and I may try to knock out the chapter today. Wanna put more time into xbc3 tho

wow, what a vile fucking thing

I saw it coming as soon as he jumped outta the plane and yet was still surprised when it was actually SpongeBob hitting the ground 😂

Yep, the report on the news was even using a condescending tone towards people who do it, saying they're "disengaging from work" and "refusing to go that extra mile." But when they talked to the health experts about why it's "bad for your health," the experts said a lot of it comes from a worsening and unsatisfying work environment, and that if you see people "quiet quitting" then you should check in on them because it's likely a symptom of depression.

So just to recap, the actual interview that the report was about said work environments are becoming unfulfilling and taxing, causing depression, and "quiet quitting" is a symptom of said depression. The news then took that and spun it into a headline of "quiet quitting is bad for your health, stay engaged at work and make sure to go that extra mile!"

Which is so fuckin putrid and american and I wish I could say I was surprised

1.5k posts!

On my previous forum, I had 2k posts in roughly 2 years, seems like posting habits is picking up. (but on the other hand, that forum didn't have any rampaging speculation threads)

1.5k posts!

On my previous forum, I had 2k posts in roughly 2 years, seems like posting habits is picking up. (but on the other hand, that forum didn't have any rampaging speculation threads)
Most posts I ever racked up on a forum was over 40K on WeCraveGames in the almost decade it was around. Good times. Most of those were in the sports section.

My axillary lymph nodes are working OT from this booster. Can’t even move my damn arm above the shoulder. No fever or anything this time at least.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

"Quiet quitting" is such a dumpster fire of a concept. You should never work outside the hours you're getting paid to, period. Even if there is pressure to do so. Getting paid overtime for it is one thing and can make it worth it, but even that can get out of hand and really lead to doing too much if it becomes too frequent. And also screw with your sense of when you're "at work" and "not at work" when your time is constantly shifting around and you never really know when you'll be working overtime or not (I'm in this boat now, lol). I'm not complaining too much, though! I know I'm very lucky to be able to get overtime like that, I'm just saying that even then you have to be careful with it.

Oddly enough, even though it was a pretty terrible job the one thing I kind of miss when I worked at a big box grocery store for a few months years ago is that your time was so set in stone: You clocked in when you showed up for your shift, you worked, you clocked out when you left at the exact moment your shift ended. Nice and easy, and a very clear separation between work time and not.

Why all of a sudden is my brand new 5g phone with full LTE bars getting a 0.1 Mbps download speed??

Somehow splatting players in Splatoon activates the same lizards in my brain as gibbing someone in Half-Life or Quake. Maybe that’s why I like it so much.

Reached Xenoblade 2 Chapter 8...

Am I on Earth or something like that? I'm sorta assuming this "Architect" they always mention will end up being someone like Alvis from XC1. Dunno, plot's gotten kinda wild lately haha.

A silly complaint I have, though, is that even now that my characters are stranded below the Cloud Sea I'm still freely able to use fast travel back to Argentum and it breaks immersion heavily haha. XC1 blocked fast travel in times like this.

Am I on Earth or something like that? I'm sorta assuming this "Architect" they always mention will end up being someone like Alvis from XC1. Dunno, plot's gotten kinda wild lately haha.

A silly complaint I have, though, is that even now that my characters are stranded below the Cloud Sea I'm still freely able to use fast travel back to Argentum and it breaks immersion heavily haha. XC1 blocked fast travel in times like this.
Loved this part.

Why are some people at jobs jerks

I haven’t met a lot of those stinky people, but the ones I did meet, well, meh.

K so I gave this some more thought…

I guess I’m now on Earth after Zanza’s experiment that created XC1’s world.

On another note, playing as Jin is cool as hell and, hilariously, I can bring Jin to old areas since fast travel isn’t blocked.

Trying to decide what to do with the rest of my Saturday. Like most weekends for me, I'm introverted and inside because of illness, so I'm watching the new Thor tonight. I had some Xenoblade time this morning.

I love where I'm up to in Xenoblade, but I was also thinking of doing Lair of the Shadow Broker (Mass Effect 2) today so that I can move onto Mass Effect 3 before the end of the year. Decisions decisions.

I really do need to use some of my limited brain power to make a to do list for tomorrow, though, so that first.

Mario + Rabids 2 is looking very good. The environments are colorful and more unique, the combat looks really expanded and tactical, and it just looks fun. I love the idea of equipping sparks to customize everyone.

I thought getting into it might be cathartic but I think all I did was bum myself out

oh well maybe I can no-mind-to-think my way through this weekend and distract myself with the possible Nintonslaught next week

K so I gave this some more thought…

I guess I’m now on Earth after Zanza’s experiment that created XC1’s world.

On another note, playing as Jin is cool as hell and, hilariously, I can bring Jin to old areas since fast travel isn’t blocked.

You are about to experience peak fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom