• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST 12 Sep 2022| Trails From Splatoon 03

The First Fami Splatfest: Which Team Will You Join?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my BoysLove fanfiction.

Enjoy.

Engage in what

Nokia-NGage-QD.jpg

Holy shit. I never really forgot that part and "tears" definitely reminded me of that but I did NOT realize it made a crown shaped splash. That's insane.
Oh shit.

And the way it plays out in that trailer is in reverse - the crown shaped splash forms the teardrop ascending upwards, following by Link diving through a sky platform.

"Kingdom" (Crown) -> "Raindrop" (Tear), a civilization moving upwards

All that in less than a second of footage. o_O

Managed to lose 3kg in my first month with Ring Fit Adventure.
Granted it wasn't just that, I was also careful what I ate, and went on plenty of walks, but still, it is a fun way to motivate myself to work out.
Two of my medications promote weight gain so it's a constant battle trying to stay in shape, but a a lot of my anxiety is health related, I try to stay as fit as I can.

12-4.gif

Last edited:
While I often kinda resent how streamlined Mass Effect 3 is on a narrative and structural level, I'm still very much enjoying it. It's a testament to the heavy lifting the first two games do to establish a rich world, and excellent characters. I think the third game stumbles tying that up, and also suffers for its streamlining and linearity - not to mention slicing out two important chunks of narrative (Javik and Leviathan) into DLC. Between my own insane personal hype (after ME2 was one of my favourite ever games), EA's approach to the DLC, and the feeling that chunks of the game had just become too dumbed down, it was probably the game that actually began to really turn me off the big AAA blockbuster model, after Xbox 360 had been such a great console for me. Thinking about it, for a few years after that, despite having a Wii U, XB1, and 3DS, my gaming time really dropped overall and then varied wildly from year to year.

It's good to revisit it now, because there's still really strong and enjoyable stuff here; it's also nice to play a game like this knowing that there are so many alternatives to this model of game these days, though I do hope Mass Effect can come somewhere back towards its glory days.

My pro controller is working great after surgery, and my buddies joycon seems to be working a lot better too after giving it the old cleaner under the skirt. Glad I'm learning to be more self sufficient with stuff like this.

So where are all these rumoured third party ports that were also rated (Batman, biomutant, Skyrim etc) Will they just be announced randomly? Or maybe a mini/direct in the new year ?

Yeah this is the biggest reason I'm not super interested in using Windows on Steam Deck

Suspend support is a big deal
You also miss out on the newer fan curve. I've tried running Windows 11 on Deck already, and while it worked well enough, the fan did never stop spinning completely, and went full on jet engine in games. Basically useless to me at that point, wouldn't want to use a handheld like that in the long run.

The Woman King is pretty solid! Competent action and extremely well acted. I don't think it's the most amazing movie ever made, and it's formulaic to a fault, but I'm glad I saw it. Stoked to see Moonage Daydream in IMAX tomorrow as a massive Bowie fan, then Pearl on Thursday, then the Avatar 4K HDR IMAX re-release on Saturday. Movies are back!!!

Semi-following the GTA 6 leak discussion and seeing what prompted all those developers on twitter to show their in-development games

FdIOcCNXoAAxveP.jpg

which reminded me of the one rule of twitter

E81_MuwXoAgnN_1.jpg

I don't care if it's the 21st where I'm at - I said I was gonna answer the questions and I will do so anyway~~

Question 1: What is your favorite anime and/or cartoons and why? Share the OPs if you want!
I'll take the time to answer for both anime and western cartoons, because I feel like I have enough to say about both. I'm also gonna specifically talk shows and not movies, that's a whole separate can of worms.

As for anime, as you can probably guess by the fact that I'm Team Squid, I have not watched a lot of anime in full. This isn't really an anime specific thing - I am notoriously bad at starting and keeping up with any TV show on my own - but I feel like it's hurt my experience with anime the most. I can count the anime that I've finished on one hand. On a positive, this means that I've gotten a couple of quality shows under my belt, in this case Yu Yu Hakusho and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Both of them are excellent shounen battle anime, easily worth a recommendation, but the one I have the most fondness for is Yu Yu Hakusho, perhaps because I saw it first. I watched it in high school over several months with my partner, who used it as a rewatch, and I'm glad we saw all of it. A well-balanced tone, consistently creative fights, a great set of lead characters that bounce off each other well, it's the total package, and I even enjoy a lot of the portions that some considered weaker than the rest. It also has a really strong dub for its era which (mostly) goes toe to toe with the sub. I really gotta get into Hunter X Hunter one of these days.

Yu Yu Hakusho retained the same OP throughout its run, albeit with fresh animation halfway through the show. Both the original Japanese and its English translation are wonderful.

Meanwhile, I'm more well versed in American cartoons. There's obviously the classics from my childhood of the late 90's and early to mid 2000's, with the first three seasons of SpongeBob and Avatar: The Last Airbender probably being my top favorites from the era. But the time period I love the most is the 2010's, a modern renaissance of animation. I specifically want to pinpoint Cartoon Network here - Nickelodeon and Disney were both putting out interesting stuff, but barring the first season of Korra and the first season of Gravity Falls I let a lot of it pass me by. Bad at watching shows, remember? Even so, CN was putting out banger after banger after banger, and I was hooked. Sure, you had the polarizing Teen Titans Go! and the outright bad Powerpuff Girls reboot, but there was so much good stuff to watch. Gumball, Over the Garden Wall, We Bare Bears, Infinity Train (which I gotta finish, thanks Warner Bros. Discovery for being the worst), Regular Show (which I need to actually watch), so much quality animation doing a lot of interesting things for network TV. Out of the shows of the, four shows (three ended, one currently still running) are the standouts for me.

Adventure Time needs little introduction. While there were still good shows on the air at the time, this show felt like the trailblazer. It was such a massive hit during its earlier seasons, and without it I don't think we would've gotten the modern animation landscape. What a weird and memorable show, one that let its characters grow and develop with its audience in ways that felt really natural, especially once you see it all play out. I'm still so engaged by the world they've set up, this wacky on the surface, D&D inspired romp that pulls back the curtain and reveals lots of deeper layers as emphasized by its apocalyptic backstory, and of course how its inhabitants live in this setting. Even with its satisfying ending, seeing the Adventure Time specials on HBO Max felt like putting on a familiar and comfortable sweater. One day I gotta rewatch this one - it'll be like it was a decade ago, discovering the show on reruns and catching up on places like Netflix, then watching the second half overtime to catch up before the finale.

Steven Universe is the show that's the most special to me, both because of the show itself and how I experienced it. It was the first cartoon I actively remember hearing about and wanting to watch because of its creator, Rebecca Sugar, whose work on Adventure Time I loved. I was there for the series premiere, I was there for every episode airing and Stevenbomb, I was there for the finale, the movie, and every episode of Steven Universe Future. I experienced all the theories, fan reaction, fan works; I didn't really participate directly in the fandom but I sure as hell shared the art and engrossed myself in the stories they and the show were telling. Even cosplayed Steven for a con once or twice (and would love to eventually do Future Steven as well!). And although the show can be uneven especially in its pacing (due to the show itself, the schedule of its release, or executive meddling cutting the show short), when it hits its emotional beats, it hits hard. Steven was a deeply relatable protagonist for me, the Gems got to be flawed characters in ways that weren't very common for kid's shows, and all of their relationships were great to see grow and develop (not to mention the solid supporting cast too). The interweaving of the more serious and fantastical lore elements and the more grounded town episodes and exploration of human emotions, plus the single focus on Steven's perspective, make for a very unique show, even when it doesn't always land. Can't forget how its queerness helped pave the way for more of that in kid's animation. This is a show I'll always hold close to my heart. Once the 10 year anniversary hits, I plan on starting a rewatch.

OK KO: Let's Be Heroes died way before its time. What a consistently funny, dynamic and engaging show, I can't think of a single weak episode. The pacing of the last season does have to go super fast to make up for its cancellation, but even with that, it still sticks the landing. Great characters, super expressive animation, a fun super hero world premise, fantastic per-episode pacing even with Season 3, just a quality experience all the way through. Please watch this show.
Dendy is Best Character, no I will not be taking questions at this time.

Craig of the Creek is perhaps my favorite representation of childhood in animation. One part Recess, another part Codename: Kid's Next Door, all wrapped up in the earnestness of a show like Steven Universe. The wild adventures the characters get into in the titular creek do such a good job of depicting childhood creativity and imagination, all while having a fun and memorable set of main and reoccurring characters. This is a show that truly embraces the diversity of its writer's room and lets that show on the screen, and I adore the show for it.

...but even then I got shows to shout out that aren't from CN! The new She-Ra, City of Ghosts (technically a 2020's production but whatever), the new Mickey Mouse shorts (goodness I love those shorts so dang much I could spend several more paragraphs talking about that one alone), so much to talk about. But I've gone on long enough, so I'll leave it here.

Question 2: Take one of your favorite anime or cartoons and design a game around it and/or vice versa by taking one of your favorite games and tell us how you want it adapted into an anime, cartoon, or movie. If you have an idea for a sequel or spin off adaption that’s cool too!
So, actually, most of the shows I've highlighted do have game adaptations. Yu Yu Hakusho got a great Genesis fighting game by Treasure, Adventure Time had a series of games of varying quality (though Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage? stands out because it's the direct mechanical predecessor to Shantae and the Pirate's Curse), Steven Universe got a few RPGs inspired by the Mario RPGs (I've only played the first, really need to try the other two), even OK KO got a beat em up kinda game by Capybara Games. Meanwhile, Multiversus has Adventure Time and Steven Universe characters, and if datamining is to be believed, we'll also be getting Craig of the Creek representation down the line. So they're generally covered. But as for a solo game?

I'd take a stab at Craig of the Creek. The show already leans into the fantastical elements of childhood play and features tons of characters and locations in the creek, so I think a game should take advantage of those elements. I propose a turn based RPG where you primarily control a party of the show's main characters going on an adventure throughout the creek's many locales. The game would play it up as a fantastical adventure, with cool JRPG attacks and special abilities during battles and all the fun kinds of imaginary play and heightened stakes the show is known for, but there would be moments where they pull back and show the kids being kids too, just like the show. Maybe even moments between the days of playing when Craig is home and things are a bit more grounded. Even as someone on Team Squid, I'd play the heck outta that.

Steven Universe is amazing and was sorta the show that really made me especially adore seeing queerness in Cartoons. Had not really seen it before that. I was of course never UNinterested, but, yeah. It is just a very very fun and wholesome show. Also probably helped some of the stuff in The Owl House to even happen, which is my current go-to show for wholesome queerness and also horrible trauma, haha.

But ahem
So I have been a bit out of the loop when it comes to the rumors and info and such about "Switch 2". Could someone pls update me with just the basics on what we 'know' about the Drake, is it?

I don't care if it's the 21st where I'm at - I said I was gonna answer the questions and I will do so anyway~~

Question 1: What is your favorite anime and/or cartoons and why? Share the OPs if you want!
I'll take the time to answer for both anime and western cartoons, because I feel like I have enough to say about both. I'm also gonna specifically talk shows and not movies, that's a whole separate can of worms.

As for anime, as you can probably guess by the fact that I'm Team Squid, I have not watched a lot of anime in full. This isn't really an anime specific thing - I am notoriously bad at starting and keeping up with any TV show on my own - but I feel like it's hurt my experience with anime the most. I can count the anime that I've finished on one hand. On a positive, this means that I've gotten a couple of quality shows under my belt, in this case Yu Yu Hakusho and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Both of them are excellent shounen battle anime, easily worth a recommendation, but the one I have the most fondness for is Yu Yu Hakusho, perhaps because I saw it first. I watched it in high school over several months with my partner, who used it as a rewatch, and I'm glad we saw all of it. A well-balanced tone, consistently creative fights, a great set of lead characters that bounce off each other well, it's the total package, and I even enjoy a lot of the portions that some considered weaker than the rest. It also has a really strong dub for its era which (mostly) goes toe to toe with the sub. I really gotta get into Hunter X Hunter one of these days.

Yu Yu Hakusho retained the same OP throughout its run, albeit with fresh animation halfway through the show. Both the original Japanese and its English translation are wonderful.

Meanwhile, I'm more well versed in American cartoons. There's obviously the classics from my childhood of the late 90's and early to mid 2000's, with the first three seasons of SpongeBob and Avatar: The Last Airbender probably being my top favorites from the era. But the time period I love the most is the 2010's, a modern renaissance of animation. I specifically want to pinpoint Cartoon Network here - Nickelodeon and Disney were both putting out interesting stuff, but barring the first season of Korra and the first season of Gravity Falls I let a lot of it pass me by. Bad at watching shows, remember? Even so, CN was putting out banger after banger after banger, and I was hooked. Sure, you had the polarizing Teen Titans Go! and the outright bad Powerpuff Girls reboot, but there was so much good stuff to watch. Gumball, Over the Garden Wall, We Bare Bears, Infinity Train (which I gotta finish, thanks Warner Bros. Discovery for being the worst), Regular Show (which I need to actually watch), so much quality animation doing a lot of interesting things for network TV. Out of the shows of the, four shows (three ended, one currently still running) are the standouts for me.

Adventure Time needs little introduction. While there were still good shows on the air at the time, this show felt like the trailblazer. It was such a massive hit during its earlier seasons, and without it I don't think we would've gotten the modern animation landscape. What a weird and memorable show, one that let its characters grow and develop with its audience in ways that felt really natural, especially once you see it all play out. I'm still so engaged by the world they've set up, this wacky on the surface, D&D inspired romp that pulls back the curtain and reveals lots of deeper layers as emphasized by its apocalyptic backstory, and of course how its inhabitants live in this setting. Even with its satisfying ending, seeing the Adventure Time specials on HBO Max felt like putting on a familiar and comfortable sweater. One day I gotta rewatch this one - it'll be like it was a decade ago, discovering the show on reruns and catching up on places like Netflix, then watching the second half overtime to catch up before the finale.

Steven Universe is the show that's the most special to me, both because of the show itself and how I experienced it. It was the first cartoon I actively remember hearing about and wanting to watch because of its creator, Rebecca Sugar, whose work on Adventure Time I loved. I was there for the series premiere, I was there for every episode airing and Stevenbomb, I was there for the finale, the movie, and every episode of Steven Universe Future. I experienced all the theories, fan reaction, fan works; I didn't really participate directly in the fandom but I sure as hell shared the art and engrossed myself in the stories they and the show were telling. Even cosplayed Steven for a con once or twice (and would love to eventually do Future Steven as well!). And although the show can be uneven especially in its pacing (due to the show itself, the schedule of its release, or executive meddling cutting the show short), when it hits its emotional beats, it hits hard. Steven was a deeply relatable protagonist for me, the Gems got to be flawed characters in ways that weren't very common for kid's shows, and all of their relationships were great to see grow and develop (not to mention the solid supporting cast too). The interweaving of the more serious and fantastical lore elements and the more grounded town episodes and exploration of human emotions, plus the single focus on Steven's perspective, make for a very unique show, even when it doesn't always land. Can't forget how its queerness helped pave the way for more of that in kid's animation. This is a show I'll always hold close to my heart. Once the 10 year anniversary hits, I plan on starting a rewatch.

OK KO: Let's Be Heroes died way before its time. What a consistently funny, dynamic and engaging show, I can't think of a single weak episode. The pacing of the last season does have to go super fast to make up for its cancellation, but even with that, it still sticks the landing. Great characters, super expressive animation, a fun super hero world premise, fantastic per-episode pacing even with Season 3, just a quality experience all the way through. Please watch this show.
Dendy is Best Character, no I will not be taking questions at this time.

Craig of the Creek is perhaps my favorite representation of childhood in animation. One part Recess, another part Codename: Kid's Next Door, all wrapped up in the earnestness of a show like Steven Universe. The wild adventures the characters get into in the titular creek do such a good job of depicting childhood creativity and imagination, all while having a fun and memorable set of main and reoccurring characters. This is a show that truly embraces the diversity of its writer's room and lets that show on the screen, and I adore the show for it.

...but even then I got shows to shout out that aren't from CN! The new She-Ra, City of Ghosts (technically a 2020's production but whatever), the new Mickey Mouse shorts (goodness I love those shorts so dang much I could spend several more paragraphs talking about that one alone), so much to talk about. But I've gone on long enough, so I'll leave it here.

Question 2: Take one of your favorite anime or cartoons and design a game around it and/or vice versa by taking one of your favorite games and tell us how you want it adapted into an anime, cartoon, or movie. If you have an idea for a sequel or spin off adaption that’s cool too!
So, actually, most of the shows I've highlighted do have game adaptations. Yu Yu Hakusho got a great Genesis fighting game by Treasure, Adventure Time had a series of games of varying quality (though Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage? stands out because it's the direct mechanical predecessor to Shantae and the Pirate's Curse), Steven Universe got a few RPGs inspired by the Mario RPGs (I've only played the first, really need to try the other two), even OK KO got a beat em up kinda game by Capybara Games. Meanwhile, Multiversus has Adventure Time and Steven Universe characters, and if datamining is to be believed, we'll also be getting Craig of the Creek representation down the line. So they're generally covered. But as for a solo game?

I'd take a stab at Craig of the Creek. The show already leans into the fantastical elements of childhood play and features tons of characters and locations in the creek, so I think a game should take advantage of those elements. I propose a turn based RPG where you primarily control a party of the show's main characters going on an adventure throughout the creek's many locales. The game would play it up as a fantastical adventure, with cool JRPG attacks and special abilities during battles and all the fun kinds of imaginary play and heightened stakes the show is known for, but there would be moments where they pull back and show the kids being kids too, just like the show. Maybe even moments between the days of playing when Craig is home and things are a bit more grounded. Even as someone on Team Squid, I'd play the heck outta that.

Love this excellent post! I'm about to make it official, but yes if you missed any prior round of questions or want to give more answers please still answer if you want! These are mainly meant to generate fun discussion!

First off, huge high five to another big Yu Yu Hakusho fan. My absolute favorite show from Toonami I saw growing up. I'm mainly a sub fan these day, but for Yu Yu I always have to go for the dub. It was excellent and added so much to the experience. It got away from me today as I finally wrote my big Trails thread, but I plan to write up Western cartoon answers for these questions since in general I'm just a big fan of animation. I grew up strictly with Cartoon Network, so most of my favorites are from there. Sadly I did cut cable in 2012 as my viewing of TV dropped considerably when I started going to college, so I definitely sadly missed most of the shows in your post. Chowder was the last one for Cartoon Network to really hit me before then and I've only seen a few episodes of Adventure Time here and there. One day when I get more streaming services, I'd love to go back and check out the big ones I missed. I've never seen Steven Universe for example even though I have a few friends and family who really enjoyed it!

Man the hardware stuff yesterday and the TotK release date really hyped me up for 2023. My inner beggar is conflicted, wishing it was 2023 already, or wishing for the holidays where i have my loooooong vacation.

y’all like “video game?”

Given i probably financed some Nintendo person's childrens college over 33 years playing games, i think so yeah.

Round 3 Of The Thread Questions Game Begins Now! Questions Here! Also Feel Free To Answer Any Questions You Missed This Month!
Ok! We are officially entering Round 3 of the Thread Questions Game! You all have some awesome taste in anime and cartoons and it was a ton of fun seeing responses come in. This last round celebrates both Trails From Zero, which comes out on September 27, and the upcoming one year Anniversary of Famiboards (aka the Famiversary!).

Round 3: Splatember 21 – 30th. (Trails From Zero and Famiboards Anniversary time!)

Question 1: What previously unlocalized game or games do you want to see brought to Switch with a definitive release? Alternately, what classic game (more than ten years old) would you like brought back on Switch with a definitive release? Feel free to answer both questions and share any QOL additions/improvements you’d like to see! Secret bonus question: what lesser known Switch games do you highly recommend?

Question 2: Share your favorite memories from the first year of Famiboards and share your personal hopes, dreams, and goals for Year 2. These answers can speak to your time here on Fami, your life in general, or a mix of both!

If you missed any prior rounds, feel free to answer them any time before the end of the month! This thread has definitely had a Before the Direct and a After the Direct phase of its life and sometimes we all just get busy (I know I was this month!). These questions and the pizza pics have mainly been a fun way to encourage discussion and community so please feel free to answer any you missed or expand on any of your answers as you please. After reading about some of the great Western cartoon picks, I know I plan to answer Round 2 again myself!

Round 1: September Splatember 1 – 10th. (Splatoon time!)

Question 1: What is your favorite multiplayer game and/or memory?
Question 2: Animal themed games are becoming more and more popular. We had Untitled Goose Game a few years ago and this month we have Stray releasing physically and of course Splatoon 3, a very scientifically accurate Squid experience. What animal themed game do you want to see next and what does it roughly look like if you were to design it?

Round 2: Splatember 11 – 20th. (Tokyo Game Show time!)

Round 3: Splatember 21 – 30th. (Trails From Zero and Famiboards Anniversary time!)

Question 1: What previously unlocalized game or games do you want to see brought to Switch with a definitive release? Alternately, what classic game (more than ten years old) would you like brought back on Switch with a definitive release? Feel free to answer both questions and share any QOL additions/improvements you’d like to see! Secret bonus question: what lesser known Switch games do you highly recommend?
Question 2: Share your favorite memories from the first year of Famiboards and share your personal hopes, dreams, and goals for Year 2. These answers can speak to your time here on Fami, your life in general, or a mix of both!

Bonus 7th Question Of Sorts: All Month Long!

Share a picture of any awesome pizza you have or make this month! Pizza is my favorite food.

While I'm here, I did post a big thread about Trails From Zero tonight. If you ever wanted to know more about why I love it and why you might be interested in it, here you go!

Question 1: What previously unlocalized game or games do you want to see brought to Switch with a definitive release? Alternately, what classic game (more than ten years old) would you like brought back on Switch with a definitive release?
Live A Live was sort of a white whale for me, and I’m super happy to be able to finally play a localized version of that, in HD-2D no less.

It’s already localized into English but I would really like Another Code R (the sequel to Trace Memory) to finally get a North American release. Same with Last Window (the sequel to Hotel Dusk). I don’t know why Nintendo translated those games and kept them Europe-only. But NoA was making some weird decisions around 2009-10.

As far as non-localized games go, here’s one: Dragon Quest X Offline! Please please please. Please. I want to play this so bad.

All of these games also count as decade+ classic games, because I’m an old fart.

Live A Live was sort of a white whale for me, and I’m super happy to be able to finally play a localized version of that, in HD-2D no less.

It’s already localized into English but I would really like Another Code R (the sequel to Trace Memory) to finally get a North American release. Same with Last Window (the sequel to Hotel Dusk). I don’t know why Nintendo translated those games and kept them Europe-only. But NoA was making some weird decisions around 2009-10.

As far as non-localized games go, here’s one: Dragon Quest X Offline! Please please please. Please. I want to play this so bad.

All of these games also count as decade+ classic games, because I’m an old fart.
Yeah I was really glad to get Live A Live this year. Such an interesting game and the HD-2D remake for it looked excellent!

Yeah Another Code R and Last Window skipping the US was weird, I definitely know some big Hotel Dusk fans especially (I'm sad I missed out on it). I'd also love to see Dragon Quest X Offline come over! It feels like it was made specifically for the West as a compromise for never getting the MMO, so it's very weird it isn't coming over here yet anyway.

So where are all these rumoured third party ports that were also rated (Batman, biomutant, Skyrim etc) Will they just be announced randomly? Or maybe a mini/direct in the new year ?
Yeah, there are lots of leaked games yet the last Direct revealed none of them. Batman, Remnant, Risen (confirmed by THQ), Skyrim, Humankind.

We even haven't got any updates for games that already announced: Alan Wake, Kingdom Come, Evil Dead (what's going on at Saber), Lara Croft games.... I have an itch for an action title on Switch, any of those could have scratched that.

THQ normally just drops PR for their games on Switch, they havnt really been featured in many directs so wouldnt expect them this time around either.
But if the rumored Biomutant date is true, it definitely needs to be announced sooner rather than later.

For me personally, I'd like the Batman collection the most since I skipped the games when they released previously.

Ok! We are officially entering Round 3 of the Thread Questions Game! You all have some awesome taste in anime and cartoons and it was a ton of fun seeing responses come in. This last round celebrates both Trails From Zero, which comes out on September 27, and the upcoming one year Anniversary of Famiboards (aka the Famiversary!).

If you missed any prior rounds, feel free to answer them any time before the end of the month! This thread has definitely had a Before the Direct and a After the Direct phase of its life and sometimes we all just get busy (I know I was this month!). These questions and the pizza pics have mainly been a fun way to encourage discussion and community so please feel free to answer any you missed or expand on any of your answers as you please. After reading about some of the great Western cartoon picks, I know I plan to answer Round 2 again myself!

While I'm here, I did post a big thread about Trails From Zero tonight. If you ever wanted to know more about why I love it and why you might be interested in it, here you go!

Question 1. Beetle bug racing for the n64, I would legit trade goldeneye for that game lol

Question 2. Personal hopes is just to get over my hand things and to hopefully be able to find time to enjoy games more again

Question 1. Beetle bug racing for the n64, I would legit trade goldeneye for that game lol

Question 2. Personal hopes is just to get over my hand things and to hopefully be able to find time to enjoy games more again
Really hoping you fully recover soon, you’ve been battling with your hand for such a long time now.

I just googled beetle bug racing. Never knew this existed. I’d be down to try out another N64 racing game. I enjoyed San Francisco Rush and Rush 2049 a lot on the N64.

Really hoping you fully recover soon, you’ve been battling with your hand for such a long time now.

I just googled beetle bug racing. Never knew this existed. I’d be down to try out another N64 racing game. I enjoyed San Francisco Rush and Rush 2049 a lot on the N64.
Thanks. I have a nerve test October 3rd that will hopefully tell me what exactly I got.

Beetle big racing was a fun little game. Downloaded the rom to play on my steam deck at least. I will take things easy tomorrow if it arrives

Unless this is fed ex again

IMG_0398.jpg

Is there anything I should really do before playing Danganronpa V3? I played 1 and 2 and I know there is a game called "Ultra Despair Girls" not any modern platform I own released in between and an anime adaptation.

I completely did not have time last to answer the Week 2 prompt so here goes:

What is your favorite anime and/or cartoons and why? Share the OPs if you want!

I'm a big Ghost in the Shell junkie, with the original Standalone Complex run being the highwater mark for the series. I just loved the way the show was structured with episodes alternating between the main plot and one-offs that explored other facets of the world and society. They even had a single episode that was nothing more than 25 minutes of civilians speculating in an online chat room about the events so far, and it was completely captivating the first time I watched it (not much of a reach there given how much I hang out here). The characters are all great, and while some get a lot more screen time and development than others it's just a group of professionals who are there to do their thing and do it well.

And the Yoko Kanno soundtrack? Perfection. I'm still salty they couldn't get her back for 2045.

I'm not going to link the OP because what I really wanted to highlight here is the OP from GitS's older sibling: Patlabor.

Patlabor has a special place for me since it was among the first anime I ever saw. Well, technically it's among the first anime I sought out and knew was anime. Growing up in the 80's I was pretty much indoctrinated to like anime with all the stuff that snuck in through Transformers, random stuff on Nickelodeon, video games, etc. But in high school I started to get a little anime curious and started asking friends for suggestions. One guy I knew handed me a handful of licensed dubs for Slayers and the first two Patlabor movies.

Slayers was pretty alright (I have no idea how well it holds up to a 2022 lens though), but Patlabor always stuck with me. Especially the second film with it's techno-thriller leanings which just resonated with me as I was going through a phase where the intersection of technology and political machinations was deeply fascinating.

It wasn't until later that I discovered that the Patlabor movies were also done by Production I.G. a few years before their breakout hit with Ghost in the Shell. And going back to rewatch the second movie a couple years ago I was absolutely struck by how much these two films felt like practice runs for GitS, especially the second one. Political machinations? Check. Kenji Kawaii soundtrack? Check. Exquisite bubble-economy animation? Check. Deeply introspective moments with action scenes pepper in? Check. Basset hound? I'll get back to you on that one.

Anyways, enough with the preamble. Here's the OP for Patlabor The Movie 2:

And this is probably my favorite Kenji Kawaii track of the movies I've seen with his involvement:

(I'd embed the scene but you all should just watch the movie)

(What a cool jacket by the way :cool:)
In an amusing coincidence, I was listening to an older Retronauts (patron exclusive) episode yesterday that talked about Nintendo Power and the game counselors and some of the swag the early ones had, I think including that jacket

THQ normally just drops PR for their games on Switch, they havnt really been featured in many directs so wouldnt expect them this time around either.
But if the rumored Biomutant date is true, it definitely needs to be announced sooner rather than later.

For me personally, I'd like the Batman collection the most since I skipped the games when they released previously.
Interestingly, THQ has been pretty slow on Switch this year, compared to last year and 2020. But they have THREE leaked games (they even teased one of them), yet still no announcement. I guess porting process is not going fast as they hoped.

That recently revealed racer, Wreckreation was initially announced for Switch as Dangerous Driving 2. I expect a Switch version of this soon after its release.

Also, it's been 9 months since Batman leak. What's going on there? Is it supposed to be a Drake exclusive?

Oh hey, they finally brought Rumble Garanndoll onto crunchyroll from funi, time to shill it again

Question 1
Probably Magic Knight Rayearth the jrpg(Sega Saturn)
Magic_Knight_Rayearth_Coverart.png

Got that fun double curse of being a licensed Sega Saturn game. But it’s a trials/secret of mana like action rpg I believe. Just would be interesting

Question 2. Our first direct announcement thread was hype stuff. The N64 NSO reveal was pretty fun too, especially the following MK64 tourney

Is there anything I should really do before playing Danganronpa V3? I played 1 and 2 and I know there is a game called "Ultra Despair Girls" not any modern platform I own released in between and an anime adaptation.
The anime completes the 1-2-UDG saga. Watch if you want to know what the characters are up to after the games ending. Just be prepared for a terrible trainwreck. And you don't really need to play UDG to understand what's going on, but you'll miss 1 or 2 references.

V3 is unrelated to the other games, but without going into spoilers, they're at the same time still required to have played beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom