• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST 12 Sep 2022| Trails From Splatoon 03

The First Fami Splatfest: Which Team Will You Join?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
More fanboy wars incoming. Man I no longer have fun with podcast since it’s just us vs them most of the time.

Of course that’s a selfish reaction. Now getting into the whole mess that is consolidation for the gaming industry, I think it’s been said enough. Well, we’ll see when the time comes.

Probably gonna be more Sega jokes

Microsoft: "Hey Nintendo are you broke?"

Nintendo: "No"

Microsoft: "Are you sure? Because we're thinking about bu-"

Nintendo: "No"

Microsoft: "Okay byeeeeee"
Based on history wouldn't it be more like:

MS: "Hey Nintend,,,;"
NIntendo spits drink and starts laughing
MS "Ok got the message"

please be bandai namco just for the funsies
2701.jpg

please be bandai namco just for the funsies

Damn that would be tragic for Nintendo.

We would go from getting 0 Bandai Namco internally developed games on Switch to getting 0 Bandai Namco internally developed games on Switch!

We would go from getting 0 Bandai Namco internally developed games on Switch to getting 0 Bandai Namco internally developed games on Switch!
Bandai Namco made the new content for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, New Pokémon Snap, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, half of the art for ARMS, and an unannounced Nintendo remaster

Damn, that sucks about American McGee. What a doofus.

I'd like to see Microsoft sign exclusives from Platinum, Bokeh, Soleil, and CC2. I think those studios can make games that appeal to the Xbox player base.

Bandai Namco made the new content for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, New Pokémon Snap, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, half of the art for ARMS, and an unannounced Nintendo remaster

There is definitely no shortage of developers open for contract works in Japan. The real “magic” of development is entirely in house. The only real dependency is possibly Smash, but that’s so far away in the future it’s not a problem either way.

There's a guy on the subway across from me playing BOTW and he's got this expression of shocked amazement on his face and honestly it's making me wish I could play it for the first time again (not on the subway though)

There is definitely no shortage of developers open for contract works in Japan. The real “magic” of development is entirely in house. The only real dependency is possibly Smash, but that’s so far away in the future it’s not a problem either way.
that may be so, but perhaps the EPD expansion will alleviate future losses to consolidation

Microsoft buying any of the major Japanese publishers would be a blow to Nintendo, to varying degrees. While most of their offerings are replaceable and not vital to Nintendo's business, it took several years to get the relationships to the point they are now. If someone like Bandai Namco is bought by a rival platform holder Nintendo will surely find a replacement eventually but it's not gonna happen overnight and it will impact their output in the short to medium term.

What major Japanese publisher wants to stop making money off of the platform that's overwhelmingly dominant in Japan by a ridiculous margin

Maybe Sega with their refusal to put Yakuza on Switch lol

You know it’s just sad that Microsoft can’t set up a studio themselves and that their only option is to pump a lot of money in buying studios.

Say what you will about Nintendo and Sony, but both of them put in a lot of money into cultivating a pretty good first party portfolio.

Last edited:
What major Japanese publisher wants to stop making money off of the platform that's overwhelmingly dominant in Japan by a ridiculous margin

Maybe Sega with their refusal to put Yakuza on Switch lol
They're definitely not getting companies with side ventures, especially gambling, like Sega or Konami.

Koei Tecmo and Capcom should be prime targets for MS, both purely video game companies. KT should be the likeliest one, considering their closeness with Microsoft during the original Xbox years.

Consolidation will not stop, and it's going to impact all the major players. It's either accept it, or bail from mainstream video games and get a PC or a Steam Deck.

On the bright side for the latter, consolidation and buy-outs will only lead to more indie studios.

They're definitely not getting companies with side ventures, especially gambling, like Sega or Konami.

Koei Tecmo and Capcom should be prime targets for MS, both purely video game companies. KT should be the likeliest one, considering their closeness with Microsoft during the original Xbox years.
I’d say Nintendo would try to stop it with how tightly and similarly vibes KT is tho

Koei Tecmo still seems super close to Nintendo, though, having made stuff like FE Three Houses and FE/Hyrule Warriors. Nintendo would probably buy them first if it came to it

With Capcom, they sure did sell alot of copies of Monster Hunter Rise even before it went to PC, so... I have a hard time imagining it

my family has this tradition where they like to measure their tragedies. like...

''oh i broke my leg yesterday'' - says a family member. Then another one goes like ''that's nothing, i broke my entire body!''
''i shattered my entire skeleton and now i am some walking amoeba '' and stuff like that

my family has this tradition where they like to measure their tragedies. like...

''oh i broke my leg yesterday'' - says a family member. Then another one goes like ''that's nothing, i broke my entire body!''
''i shattered my entire skeleton and now i am some walking amoeba '' and stuff like that
Obviously the only way to top that is with well half my soul got eaten by a devil dog and I’m slowly turning into a withered husk

Coming to the end of Mass Effect 3. I've enjoyed it quite a bit, first time playing the trilogy since 2013. Glad I got the remaster, even if I wish they'd brought it to Switch by now.

Guess who finally assembled a new desk this weekend only to have their employer unveil their return to the office transition plan today? 🤦‍♂️

This just made me realize that we'll never have a No Way Home for Mario because of Hoskins :(
Don't forget Hopper too! 😭

It's my birthday today! 🥳

Now Nintendo must grant my wish, and show me the monkey 👀
Happy Birthday fellow Fall child!

More fanboy wars incoming. Man I no longer have fun with podcast since it’s just us vs them most of the time.
This is kinda why I bailed on the standard "3-4 heads talking around a mic about the past week's news" format of podcasts. Been nothing but Retronauts for the last 3 years and I'm frankly much happier. I already get my news from gaming websites, I'm perfectly capable of forming my own opinions on what's going on, and frankly I can't keep up with new releases anyways and most AAA stuff isn't interesting to me.

Getting to listen to people talk, and be enthusiastic, about older games and why they're important or the stories behind their creation and putting them into some sort of context with the distance of 10+ years is way more interesting to me currently.

Consolidation will not stop, and it's going to impact all the major players. It's either accept it, or bail from mainstream video games and get a PC or a Steam Deck.
I'll say it again, embrace the good that is retro, indie, and Nintendo and you've innoculated yourself from most of the drama

EMBRACE? OK I WILL EMBRACE buys all european studios
winces

Shit I should've picked my words better

Are there people out there excited for Overwatch 2? Is that a thing?
Blizzard killed all my interest in OW when it became apparent they were going to balance it like all their other games. I noped hard after Brigitte and the hamster rolled out. Just couldn't keep up with the meta as a casual.

A) I'm content to post at the bottom of the page because Bruce Springsteen boutta announce a new album tomorrow and y'all I am so excited to be ✨insufferable✨

B) I am once again asking for Netflix/Disney+/Amazon Prime/Crave to pull their thumbs out their collective asses and get their apps on Switch with the ability to download episodes and movies for offline viewing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom