• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

I'd both love and dread a Metroid Prime 2 Remastered shadow drop in September. Love because "hell yeah, more Metroid!" and loathe because it would imply Metroid Prime 4 is even further away than I thought (spent the past few years thinking it would be early 2024). Also, the whining that would occur if people go into the February Direct now fully assured that GCN shadowdrops are an official thing that will happen in every showcase going forward only for one not to happen? Insufferable.

After the performance of the first I wonder if Nintendo may not want to shadowdrop a game which isn't even going to hit those numbers if done that way.

Not that it sold poorly, just... probably less than they were hoping for, given Dread and the original's sales.
I feel like over a million copies sold in just over a month is pretty good, considering that it was a digital shadow drop. Heck, the physical retail version saw so much demand that NOA had to actually release a statement promising they'd be shipping more copies. Certainly feels like expectations were met.

I'd both love and dread a Metroid Prime 2 Remastered shadow drop in September. Love because "hell yeah, more Metroid!" and loathe because it would imply Metroid Prime 4 is even further away than I thought (spent the past few years thinking it would be early 2024). Also, the whining that would occur if people go into the February Direct now fully assured that GCN shadowdrops are an official thing that will happen in every showcase going forward only for one not to happen? Insufferable.

I feel like over a million copies sold in just over a month is pretty good, considering that it was a digital shadow drop. Heck, the physical retail version saw so much demand that NOA had to actually release a statement promising they'd be shipping more copies. Certainly feels like expectations were met.

Yeah, I understand that, about Prime 4. But if we were to get 1 and 2 this year, that would likely mean 3 and 4 next year. Retro is still hiring like crazy, for Prime 4 specifically, so it'd make sense. I would be shocked if it didn't make it out by the end of 2024... That'd basically be a six year development cycle.

Well those are going to be the brunt of the sales - I mean I don't see this thing doing above a few 100k more. Having an asynchronous launch helped digital but I don't think it would've helped physical, even with the additional shipments. And tbf I think those shipments were deliberately low, because of the earlier digital release.

And I'm not sure those numbers are that great considering the precedent of Dread, the original, and the Switch effect. Not that we're experts, but pre-release people were putting those numbers much, much higher.

I'm not saying it did poorly. Like, certainly not to the extent they'd forget about the next two. Just that... if it met expectations, they must've had fairly low expectations. MP1's sales were... ok, but they weren't great all things considered, so I'd just think Nintendo may not want to replicate a situation that will lead to even lower sales for the second. Then again they revealed it nonchalantly in the middle of a Direct, maybe they did have low expectations.

Jeff Grubb just now: "something not related to TOTK is happening to Zelda later this year."

He also said Metroid Prime 2 remaster is happening "relatively soon."
oh great Jeff Grubb guessing again, Twilight Princess/Wind Waker on Switch, he never learn

Well those are going to be the brunt of the sales - I mean I don't see this thing doing above a few 100k more. Having an asynchronous launch helped digital but I don't think it would've helped physical, even with the additional shipments. And tbf I think those shipments were deliberately low, because of the earlier digital release.

And I'm not sure those numbers are that great considering the precedent of Dread, the original, and the Switch effect. Not that we're experts, but pre-release people were putting those numbers much, much higher.

I'm not saying it did poorly. Like, certainly not to the extent they'd forget about the next two. Just that... if it met expectations, they must've had fairly low expectations. MP1's sales were... ok, but they weren't great all things considered, so I'd just think Nintendo may not want to replicate a situation that will lead to even lower sales for the second. Then again they revealed it nonchalantly in the middle of a Direct, maybe they did have low expectations.
where are you getting these expectations from?

Jeff Grubb just now: "something not related to TOTK is happening to Zelda later this year."

I'm curious at who's doing MP2 and 3

I really hope they don't nerf the difficulty in Echoes like they did for the Trilogy. The dual analogue controls will make the game plenty easier on it's own.

honestly i never got the impression that nintendo needed mpr to reach "this level" if you get me.

If they did they would have sold it after 3 months of marketing and the game would probably have debuted at like 2.5 to 3 million but yeah.

oh great Jeff Grubb guessing again, Twilight Princess/Wind Waker on Switch, he never learn
he specifically didn't say(cause he didn't know) what the non totk thing was lmao. I quoted his exact words so i don't know how you dived straight into the deep end lmao.
Omg I hope this guy can be right. He’s wrong so many times.

What could be happening to Zelda later this year??
He did previously suggest ports of ww/tp hd but he refused to say it tonight.

grubb is rarely right
not really true.

honestly i never got the impression that nintendo needed mpr to reach "this level" if you get me.

If they did they would have sold it after 3 months of marketing and the game would probably have debuted at like 2.5 to 3 million but yeah.
I really doubt it would have matched or outsold Dread even with more marketing. It’s still a remake.

Just to put things in context, on his podcast Grubb stressed that he's not necessarily hearing "another Zelda game is releasing later this year", and thinks what he is hearing (i.e. "something is happening with Zelda later this year that isn't TotK-related") could end up just being an announcement later this year for something releasing early next year.

That "something is happening" is literally all he's claiming to have heard about Zelda right now.

Possibilities for non-TOTK Zelda news:

-Ports of WW and TP HD
-New 2D Zelda or Remake
-Zelda mobile game
-Zelda movie announcement
-Spinoff title

Frankly, other than a mobile game or the movie announcement, the other options seems too soon after TOTK's release, especially if TOTK gets DLC.
Definitely no new 2D Zelda or remake or ports. Those would’ve been announced

Bayonetta sells fine for what it is but doesn’t light the charts on fire. I actually don’t think the series resonates much with Nintendo fans (which is sad to me, they are phenomenal games), or as much as Nintendo would want it to.

But the real draw of Bayonetta is that the series is viewed as one of the top dogs in its genre. It gets lots of acclaim and great word of mouth. Even Bayo 3, the least acclaimed of the series, picked up the live-streamed Best Action Game win at the game awards last year and still got great reviews overall.

I don’t think Fatal Frame is in the same position in the horror genre.
As much as I love Bayonetta, being considered "a top dog" in a genre that is still pretty niche in its appeal doesn't mean it's likely ever going to be something that lights charts on fire. The only game of its type that reliably does so is DMC...but that's DMC. So for Bayo to be a modest success, especially on one platform, among an audience that wasn't historically known for such until Bayo2 graced the Wii U, is actually a pretty good thing, I'd say.

Thus the reason for my initial comparison. Because, for Nintendo, the ideal would've been for something like Fatal Frame to have attained a similar success, even if it was never going to be seriously on Resident Evil's heels.

where are you getting these expectations from?
Nearly 70% of people had it at 2-3mil or higher.
One third had it at 3-4mil or higher.

You can read through the comments. Some gems in there.

And

Also you can look at the surprise when its numbers were revealed

Other sites will net you similar expectations.

I know you can talk about legs and all that, but for a game with a small physical presence that isn't still on the charts or anything, with the system successor coming soon and potentially the next remake even before that... I don't have huge expectations.

-Ports of WW and TP HD
-New 2D Zelda or Remake
-Zelda mobile game
-Spinoff title

Frankly, other than a mobile game or the movie announcement, the other options seems too soon after TOTK's release, especially if TOTK gets DLC.
The possibility of "Hyrule Warriors: Imprisoning War edition" taking the place of DLC for TOTK is something I have entertained.

That said, I just don't see it unless Omega Force really has that kind of bandwidth. Namely because Dynasty Warriors 10 is likely going to be announced by TGS.

Sure, sure. Wasn't it Prime that cost him his luscious locks?

It seems a bit early for Echoes if it were getting the same remakester treatment as the original. Granted, that's without any actual knowledge of how everything is working behind the scenes.

After the performance of the first I wonder if Nintendo may not want to shadowdrop a game which isn't even going to hit those numbers if done that way.

Not that it sold poorly, just... probably less than they were hoping for, given Dread and the original's sales.
The physical edition sure seemed to exceed their sales expectations. It doesn't say anything regarding what they anticipated or got for digital sales, but the physical edition immediately sold through its stock. Sure, one might expect this to be frontloaded, but that's probably also in Nintendo's calculations. By all indications, it absolutely did not fall short of Nintendo's expectations.

Now, if Echoes is releasing, it could actually have the bonus of boosting Prime's sales -- especially given both games having a lower price point and encouraging purchasing both in that way. Something similar to this is why you might see new printings of an author's bibliography as their new book releases.

Yeah, numbers tend to get hyped and disappoint people later. It's a cycle.

-Ports of WW and TP HD
-New 2D Zelda or Remake
-Zelda mobile game
-Spinoff title

I have so many thoughts, all of them wrong.

The possibility of "Hyrule Warriors: Imprisoning War edition" taking the place of DLC for TOTK is something I have entertained.

That said, I just don't see it unless Omega Force really has that kind of bandwidth. Namely because Dynasty Warriors 10 is likely going to be announced by TGS.

I think a new Hyrule Warriors game set during the Imprisoning War is a strong possibility at some point but it feels too soon and that technically would still be TOTK-related.

Hyrule Warriors for TotK is 100% happening. AoC is the best-selling musuo ever, and TotK has a great setup for it. Definitely not later this year, tho.

If there really is something Zelda later this year, I expect it to be very small. Like Cadence of Hyrule 2 or something. Or even smaller.

Tim Burtonesque Pikmin might have sold really well on 64 or gamecube. The people I knew who championed pikmin back in high school, loooooved Burton stuff. I think they may have been on the money with that original idea.
I have this interview open in a tab but haven't gotten to it yet, and I clearly need to. This sounds fascinating.

(Also, I could absolutely see Nintendo using a similar style for something. But first, the return of Luigi's Mansion's original aesthetic.)

Unironically give my "Luigi's Castle" with more spooky halloweeny traditional monster inspired stuff. That Castlevania Smash trailer was a vibe.
Serious about the castle thing, though. It makes sense, and a castle is even like a sort of mansion.

@Supreme Overlord

It won’t be the same remaster as Prime 1. Emily told us it’ll be simpler remasters for Prime 2 and 3.

I agree with what @ILikeFeet said. In the September direct announce Prime 2 and 3 collection shadowdrop (or buy them separately like Pikmin). Show the first trailer for Metroid Prime 4.

Last edited:

And

I know you can talk about legs and all that, but for a game with a small physical presence that isn't still on the charts or anything, with the system successor coming soon and potentially the next remake even before that... I don't have huge expectations.
To be fair, almost half the people in this thread thought Dread would sell more than 4 million copies lifetime, and we're currently waiting with baited breath for confirmation that it even passed the 3 million mark that most people in that thread predicted it would do. Both of us are really just guessing at how well Nintendo thought MPR would do, so it's possible that I'm lowballing just as much as you could be highballing. But I'd be shocked if they expected a shadow-dropped game in a series that traditionally sold 1-2 million lifetime to hit the higher range of that with minimal marketing.

...Also, I just want to be optimistic about how much Metroid actually needs to sell in order for Nintendo to give the greenlight for future entries. So I'd rather believe Nintendo is looking at MPR's 1.09 million with an "eh, not bad, continue work on Metroid Prime 2+3." 😅

Someone jog my memory, how bad is Prime 2 with rooms full of annoying enemies that constantly respawn

I played Prime Remastered recently and had a wonderful time. Then I reached the section where you have to do a bunch of backtracking through areas filled with Space Pirates and Chozo Ghosts. Then it gets a little less wonderful.

Jeff said this too which Hockey didn’t mention on Prime 2. So yeah he’s hearing what Emily said.

It's gonna be mostly what people want, right. It's gonna have the modern controls and it's gonna be HD and things like that but it's not gonna get the love and care that Metroid Prime got, no.

-Ports of WW and TP HD
-New 2D Zelda or Remake
-Zelda mobile game
-Spinoff title

There is also rumor of a Zelda-themed land at Universal Florida

If there really is something Zelda later this year, I expect it to be very small. Like Cadence of Hyrule 2 or something. Or even smaller.

It is time:

One idea that does fit into that category, however, follows from the Cadence of Hyrule school of thought, where an indie title was allowed to translate its concept into a The Legend of Zelda setting.

The title under consideration here is former Apple Arcade exclusive Bleak Sword.

For spinoff purposes, it would likely take its high-octane retro-inspired diorama scene concept and structure it more akin to a Zelda title. Now there are scenes that are focused on combat and scenes that are focused more on puzzle-solving (puzzle dioramas similar to the earlier Zelda-based Captain Toad), put together in a manner that vaguely emulates classic Zelda structure, each diorama scene analogous to the individual rooms of old Zelda games.

Something like this would likely retain much of Zelda's prestige aura, a more indie art house take, if you will.

It won’t be the same remaster as Prime 1. Emily told us it’ll be simpler remasters for Prime 2 and 3.
True, this was suggested. I seem to recall someone else came by at some point and ran down some details they claimed to have gleaned about the project (I think it was primarily about how Retro started with it and then the move to Prime 4, but I don't recall exactly), in which they alleged that there was consideration of finding another team to use Retro's work on Prime as a base and continue the rest of the trilogy. Mentioned having tried to interface with one of the insiders about the whole thing, who then confirmed that the attempt had been made.

Even then it wasn't definitively stated to be a thing that was going to happen, just enough that the possibility remains in mind.

[Edit: I just poked my browser into that other thread, and I think this might have been that Belmont fellow]

Last edited:
I saw earlier star fox discussion so Im gonna throw my hat into the ring.

Character um customization (basssicaly space furry oc’s)

Multiple factions to align yourself with (and eventually joining star fox or star wolf)

A open star system to explore (lylat, but not open world, just certain landing points on planets) and a above average length story that has more writing put into it.

Like a really shrunken down bethesda game in space, but with starfox. And far more action oriented.

-Ports of WW and TP HD
-New 2D Zelda or Remake
-Zelda mobile game
-Spinoff title

a brand new 2D Legend of Zelda would be excelent on Switch, we dont have a brand new 2D Legend of Zelda since a Link Between Worlds

What does a "simple remaster" mean in the context of Prime 2 HD? Is it just emulated like Pikmin 1 and 2, with some higher res assets tossed in?
I'm hoping it's a sort of hybrid where most of the assets are just carried over from the GC/Wii version, but they use the lighting and shading of Prime 1 HD. Should still look incredible. Basically how Nintendo did it with the Booster Course Pass courses where they were ported from Tour, but got the lighting and shading from MK8 added in to pretty good effect IMO.

And

So people other than Nintendo are disappointed because it didn't reach their own expectations. This makes the whole thing pointless because our expectations don't matter

If Prime 2 gets the Pikmin treatment then I doubt Nintendo care about sales expectations. It's more about having a more cohesive library available on the eShop and easily portable to future systems so that they can keep selling this stuff. It wouldn't surprise me to see these ports rolled into an NSO subscription one day.

The existence of the Porting Technology Team makes me more inclined to believe a bare bones Prime 2 (and 3) could happen, but it'd be disappointing by way of comparison with MPR. A tiny, foolish part of me hopes that the 2 years since MPR wrapped up were used effectively to outsource more well-rounded remasters of 2 and 3 using MPR as the standard to aim for.

What does a "simple remaster" mean in the context of Prime 2 HD? Is it just emulated like Pikmin 1 and 2, with some higher res assets tossed in?
It means not a full asset update like Prime Remastered got. More of a straightforward "update the controls, maybe swap out the HUD with HD assets, and boost the resolution" kind of thing.

Bayonetta sells fine for what it is but doesn’t light the charts on fire. I actually don’t think the series resonates much with Nintendo fans (which is sad to me, they are phenomenal games), or as much as Nintendo would want it to.

But the real draw of Bayonetta is that the series is viewed as one of the top dogs in its genre. It gets lots of acclaim and great word of mouth. Even Bayo 3, the least acclaimed of the series, picked up the live-streamed Best Action Game win at the game awards last year and still got great reviews overall.

I don’t think Fatal Frame is in the same position in the horror genre.
Bayo is part of an almost dead genre, the only pure action game selling more than 4m nowadays is like new DMC titles. In huge part is because the main attractive of the genre (the combat) even if heavily dumbed down has become the main type of combat for a lot of the big titles nowadays.

Metroid Prime 2 needs:

-A new aesthetic for the Dark World (it's overly purple and not super interesting)
-No regenerating health in light zones and rebalancing around that (encourages boring gameplay)
-Instant loading between light and dark world (So having both game worlds in the RAM at the same time)
-More natural indicators in the two weird back tracks in the games
-Probably more exciting stuff in the last key hunt (maybe transform the key holding guys into mini-bosses?)
-New Samus model

Obviously none of this will be added, but hopefully it's just a Prime 2+3 collection of ports if they're just ports.

Metroid Prime 2 needs:

-A new aesthetic for the Dark World (it's overly purple and not super interesting)
-No regenerating health in light zones and rebalancing around that (encourages boring gameplay)
-Instant loading between light and dark world (So having both game worlds in the RAM at the same time)
-More natural indicators in the two weird back tracks in the games
-Probably more exciting stuff in the last key hunt (maybe transform the key holding guys into mini-bosses?)
-New Samus model

Obviously none of this will be added, but hopefully it's just a Prime 2+3 collection of ports if they're just ports.
You re absolutely right but id be satisfied if they just remade all of the visuals lol.

It will be asinine if nintendo tries to release 2 and 3 separatedly.

Mitsuhiro Kida is in the Sound Management Group like Wakai. Maybe it's a group for Sound Directors? Though some like Wakai, Kondo, and Minegishi still compose tracks.

Back
Top Bottom