• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

My first console was my parents Mega Drive and from what I remember a shared Master System between me and my brothers so that was enough to make me form an attachment to a blue hedgehog that's been going 32 years strong....

The first console that I owned as my own was the Game Boy Color around 2000 when Pokémon was taking off. I wanted one for both Gen 1 and the upcoming Gen 2 and ended up getting it for Christmas with Pokémon Blue

Just want to let you know, the Wii generation is in their 30s.

The NES generation is in their 50s and are probably looking to retire soon.

Which is why it is so disappointing it's NES games repackaged again. Nintendo caters to the NES generation so much, while every other generation, especially the GC and Wii generation, gets crumbs. That's not to mention that people who grew up with the 3DS are now the main demographic of gamers.
SNES is around this mark, recently SNES celebrated his 30th anniversary, Wii is 16th year old

All of this talk has me wishing they were re-releasing the original Luigi's Mansion on Switch and not Dark Moon.

I'll always love that games vibe, it has a very strange, dream-like quality to me, though that might also be because I first played it when I was 3. Honestly, it's almost certainly the first game I ever played, or at the very least the first I remember.
I do love the vibes of LM1 and wish it was also on switch. But LM2 is underrated imo and probably top 3 3DS games. And that's saying a lot

Wouldn't surprise me if there's a Luigi's Mansion Hagi port in early June, assuming a Direct happens around then.
I think a straight emulated Luigi's Mansion 1 port would be a shame since they have the remake by Grezzo on the 3DS with new features lifted from LM2; and even debuted the story of Gooigi too!

By the by, if we don't get a direct in May, I'm absolutely going to launch a third gameshow in this thread for June.
chuckle.gif

Yeah, Rainbow Paintbrush is the European and Australian name for Rainbow Curse, so it would be a re-release of that.

Just want to let you know, the Wii generation is in their 30s.

The NES generation is in their 50s and are probably looking to retire soon.
Debatable for whatever you consider the "Wii generation." Probably closer to mid-late 20s; if someone was 10 when the Wii came out, they'd be 28 now. People in their 30s more likely grew up on a combination of SNES/N64/GCN.

I mean I would consider myself a Wii kid and I'm 24

who goes by what console came out when they were 12? should I have immense Wii U nostalgia or something?

hm well I suppose I do
10-12 is normally considered the golden years of childhood, as it is the years that most people remember, but still have childhood innocence. Its the time you are most likely to remember and have nostalgia for.

And yes, I have immense nostalgia for the Wii U era too.

i think someone has the age to really start appreciating games and completed them when they turn +10, more like 11 or 12.

So yeah, someone who was 11 at Wii first year (2007) is now 29 so I would say Wii Generation are people who just turn 30 or a little less.

10-12 is normally considered the golden years of childhood, as it is the years that most people remember, but still have childhood innocence. Its the time you are most likely to remember and have nostalgia for.
... then why are you counting the console that came out when people were 12? wouldn't that mean it was all downhill for the console's actual life?

The one thing about the prospects of a Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush re-release is...how would that even work, considering how touch screen heavy it originally was on Wii U?

All of this talk has me wishing they were re-releasing the original Luigi's Mansion on Switch and not Dark Moon.

I'll always love that games vibe, it has a very strange, dream-like quality to me, though that might also be because I first played it when I was 3. Honestly, it's almost certainly the first game I ever played, or at the very least the first I remember.

We had a Sega Genesis before that (We never had a console from the N64/Saturn/PS1 generation, probably because they came out right when my older brother was born and he was just fine playing the old Genesis when he got a little older), and my mom says I used to watch my brother play it and ask him what it said on the screen, but I don't remember any of that. The Gamecube was the first that I really remember and what I consider my childhood console.
IMO Dark Moon is much better than either 1 or 2

The one thing about the prospects of a Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush re-release is...how would that even work, considering how touch screen heavy it originally was on Wii U?
Unless it uses a Gyroscope, it might be one of those games that isn't rereleased until Nintendo thinks of a hardware gimmick like Switch console streaming to the Dock... which itself would be silly, but idk it could work.

... then why are you counting the console that came out when people were 12? wouldn't that mean it was all downhill for the console's actual life?
Not really. Especially as it's slow runoff into adulthood.

The launch of a system is also the most exciting part of it, especially for a frontloaded console like the Wii. You could actually argue both for the Wii and Switch that the games themselves are a bit of downhill for the consoles life.

That does not mean it was bad times. However the launch of a system is inherently way more memorable. That's why people love the GC launch window titles a lot, with Melee, Luigis Mansion, Pikmin, and Animal Crossing are beloved. On top of being great games of course. Nothing quite beats a solid launch year.

Most people will feel the most nostalgic for whatever console launched when they were around 10-12. Or the closest things to it.

This entire debate is strange. People usually associate their childhood console, the console they grew up with, as their formative console, the console they had when they didn't have defined taste. That's like .... 6-10 for most people. 12?

I grew up with the Wii, I was 6 when it came out, I'm 23. I don't think most "Wii kids" are in their 30s, unless you want to call me a PS4 kid which is just weird.

isn't it more likely to be a rainbow curse rerelease?
Considering how stylus driven that game is it would either need a huge rework or basically be a new game that reuses its assets. Either way not against crossing off one more wii u game to free .

Rainbow paintbrush and NES championship. 2024 baby. Trojan horse for a may direct with fire emblem and maybe metroid prime 4, and hopefully more stuff.

Anyway, we're talking about age and gens, people may start their first console gen anywhere between 3-15 or later even, especially for older gens. pre-ps2 far less households had a game console at all.

And then most consoles hit their sales stride and game release cadence in year 3 or so.
And then non-Japan and NA countries often took a while longer for consoles/games and market success too.
Anyway I bet a Wii kid could be any time from 2006 at 15, to 2011 at like 5. So 17 to 33 or so. (for most consoles I'd accept even like age 3-4 in its final years or even afterwards, but the Wii especially fell off).

I grew up with a PS1 and semi regular access to a 64 and sometimes even a mega drive. I think my first game was either sonic 1 or THPS1 at 50 hz. I also feel very nostalgic for the gba/ps2/gamecube/wii/ds and PS3/Wii U. And to a small extent the PS4 even (11 years guys, 11 years).

Honestly being in Australia with no internet in the 90s-2000s is weird. There were a lot of people like that because it was expensive, bad and lots of houses were lucky to even have coax or copper. A lot of homes had zero options. The people in the know seemed to see the future. Especially with games that released years later in Australia. No marketing/mention on any near mainstream source would be found early, because why waste the resources? Same for Pay TV/more channels than the free to air garbage. You'd be lucky to see some anime/content or many tv shows for yeaaaars after USA. It was like living in a little contained cultural bubble.

The NES championship game will be the first of a growing snowball of news from Nintendo. It starts off small, but as the ball rolls down the hill it gets bigger and bigger.

I'm happy for the people that have games to look forward to, but imo this year is shaping up to be as barren as 2020. Nearly everything I'm even remotely excited for is something I've already played before.

I was two playing Super Nintendo games on my older brother’s SNES. That’s my childhood console and where the bulk of my video game nostalgia is centered.

I guess if you first touched a video game ever at twelve that could count, but if you grew up with games your whole life almost no way that’s the nostalgia one.

I'm happy for the people that have games to look forward to, but imo this year is shaping up to be as barren as 2020. Nearly everything I'm even remotely excited for is something I've already played before.
It’s definitely one of the two worst years for Switch. It is what it is when we’re at the systems last year

I was two playing Super Nintendo games on my older brother’s SNES. That’s my childhood console and where the bulk of my video game nostalgia is centered.

I guess if you first touched a video game ever at twelve that could count, but if you grew up with games your whole life almost no way that’s the nostalgia one.
Mine is the Nintendo 64, with the fondest memories of Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie being some of the first games I ever played and still some of my all time favorites.

Banjo in smash was such a big deal to me.

Debatable for whatever you consider the "Wii generation." Probably closer to mid-late 20s; if someone was 10 when the Wii came out, they'd be 28 now. People in their 30s more likely grew up on a combination of SNES/N64/GCN.
I think im wii generation and a bit of n64 because thats what i had in my early years, i´m 28 years old btw, got my wii on 2007

I think im wii generation and a bit of n64 because thats what i had in my early years, i´m 28 years old btw, got my wii on 2007
I'm a little bit older than you and for me the Wii was something I associate most with my high school years. So like I said, it's debatable, but I think of my core childhood experience being mostly SNES/N64 and a touch of GCN. Wii was something different.

This entire debate is strange. People usually associate their childhood console, the console they grew up with, as their formative console, the console they had when they didn't have defined taste. That's like .... 6-10 for most people. 12?

I grew up with the Wii, I was 6 when it came out, I'm 23. I don't think most "Wii kids" are in their 30s, unless you want to call me a PS4 kid which is just weird.
I don’t know, I think I would disagree with that at least for me. My “formative” console would be the SNES I suppose since that’s what I had when I was 5-8 years old, but the consoles I associate most with gaming as a kid and have the most nostalgia for are mostly the N64 and even the GameCube even though GameCube era was 13-17 for me. My absolute pinnacle gaming nostalgia moment was Ocarina of Time when I was 11, for example.

My parents, while at least not buying into the "video games cause violence" mindset, still saw them as a total waste of time and money, until the Wii. Even then, I don't think it was until 2010 or 2011 that they actually bought ours as a christmas gift, because I distinctly recall my younger sibling trying to explain the Wii U to them and the response being to the effect of "we just bought you this one recently, we don't need a second." That was how I eventually played Metroid Prime Trilogy, and yeah, I'd generay consider myself a Wii kid despite being like fifteen or sixteen when we got it.

I bought this game on Wii U, but I never played it because I'm bad at backlog management and I didn't want to stare at the GamePad the entire time and not see the gorgeous visuals at full clarity as they were shown on the TV. I really liked the DS game, though. If Nintendo found a way to re-release the game for Switch without resorting to gyro pointer controls (bring back IR with Switch 2, please), I would be very, very happy. Stretchmo is great, too. If these trademarks are somehow indications of games releasing this year, this will actually be a pretty great Nintendo year for me.

Last edited:

My word, the Wii came out when I was this age. This was like an attack on my soul right here!

The nostalgia argument is interesting. I have nostalgia for various things based on life stages, so it’s not just a one console thing. NES was my nascent gaming years and a lot of memories are my dad playing Dr Mario. SNES was really the first time I could get through games on my own. N64 was all about multiplayer with friends. GameCube was Melee at every break in college that wasn’t halo 1/2 lan parties. Wii/360/PS3 was my first time on my own. Switch was when I started playing with my own kids. So various games (mainly the music) elicit various nostalgia feelings. Can’t subscribe to a “6-12” age range as the only nostalgia people have. I have more nostalgia for Galaxy or Labo for example than a lot of SNES games.

The nostalgia argument is interesting. I have nostalgia for various things based on life stages, so it’s not just a one console thing. NES was my nascent gaming years and a lot of memories are my dad playing Dr Mario. SNES was really the first time I could get through games on my own. N64 was all about multiplayer with friends. GameCube was Melee at every break in college that wasn’t halo 1/2 lan parties. Wii/360/PS3 was my first time on my own. Switch was when I started playing with my own kids. So various games (mainly the music) elicit various nostalgia feelings. Can’t subscribe to a “6-12” age range as the only nostalgia people have. I have more nostalgia for Galaxy or Labo for example than a lot of SNES games.

I'm in my mid-30s and I realize that nostalgia is something that continues with you for your entire life and you only ever add to it. I'm now nostalgic for playing Xenoblade 1 for the first time in 2012. I was already an adult and graduated college. I'm nostalgic for when I got my PS4 in 2015 and played the Witcher 3. I'm nostalgic for getting my Switch on launch day, playing Breath of the Wild for 15 minutes, then getting upset that I had to go to dinner with friends instead of playing more.

People think of nostalgia as a bad thing because it makes it seem like you can't move forward with your life. But nostalgia doesn't mean you don't try new things nor does it mean you want things to remain the same forever. You remember things in your past that brought you happiness and you're excited that something can bring that old happiness forward to where you are in your life currently.

Hello! Been lurking Famiboards since last year. Wanted to drop in because it occurred to me that the NWC rating coming out before an official announcement may support the original April general direct rumor.

Nintendo usually times things so that the ESRB doesn't spoil game announcements. But if there was a relatively last minute shift in directs scheduling, NWC's original rating release in early May – which would've followed its inclusion in an April general – might have been something NOA was unable to change. Or they forgot.

Whether or not Pyoro's NWC tease suggests that the rescheduled general direct is coming soon (with the ESRB rating timing a coincidence), who knows.

Okay! Back to lurking ✌️😶‍🌫️

Hello! Been lurking Famiboards since last year. Wanted to drop in because it occurred to me that the NWC rating coming out before an official announcement may support the original April general direct rumor.

Nintendo usually times things so that the ESRB doesn't spoil game announcements. But if there was a relatively last minute shift in directs scheduling, NWC's original rating release in early May – which would've followed its inclusion in an April general – might have been something NOA was unable to change. Or they forgot.

Whether or not Pyoro's NWC tease suggests that the rescheduled general direct is coming soon (with the ESRB rating timing a coincidence), who knows.

Welcome! Congrats on the first post! Stick around a while!

Nintendo is weird and has surprised me many times before, but a Direct happening in May is really hard to see, given June is just up ahead and is the usual spot. I still have hope we’ll finally get our General next month, but if we don’t then it’s probably just not happening this year; maybe it is dire enough that they only have a couple things left that they don’t feel even warrant a real Direct, who knows. But until the last couple weeks of June go by, hope remains.

I had a similar thought: the ESRB details coming out may indicate this game was planned for a reveal by now and shifted marketing plans caused schedules to be messed up.

My "first" system was the family's NES. The first system that was my own and no one else's was a Genesis. First system I bought with my own money was a Wii.

General Direct in April -> June
Switch Next event in June -> September
Switch Next release in November -> March
New Hardware Confirmation -> May 7th
Switch Next Concept Reveal -> September/October
General Direct/Switch Next Event -> January 2025

Join me as we accept this Directless year 😈

So

NWC Nes edition
Stretchmo
Kirby Rainbow

I hope we get at least 1 big game to close the year (FE4 remake or MP4)

Last edited:
I expect Nintendo World Championships - NES Edition to be a trailer drop in the next few weeks. General Direct will be in June, either the Wednesday before SGF or sometime in the second half of the month before the annual shareholder's meeting. I'm expecting/hoping to see announcements for Fire Emblem 4 remake as a August/September release, Metroid Prime 4 for October, and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse remake for November.

Nintendo might save the Switch 2 reveal trailer until the September Direct, but I think there's a good possibility that they close out the June Direct with it, then go into radio silence on the matter until January. That way the news is out there, but since it isn't being delivered so close to the holidays, they (theoretically) won't have to worry too much about social media being dominated by Switch 2 talk and seriously distracting from their new software releases just before the holiday shopping season.

Back
Top Bottom