• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST6| It’s Prime Time For Some More Wonderful Speculation! (Spoiler Crowd, Remain In This Thread Until The Direct Ends!)

What Metroid Prime Games Are Showing Up At The Next Nintendo Direct?

• Metroid Prime 4! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2 and 3! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2 and 4! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2, 3, and 4! I #trusttheprocess.

• No Numbered Games, But Something New And / Or Cool! I #trusttheprocess.

• I #trusttheprocess, but it will test us with nothing for now.

• The process has forsaken us and I have forsaken it.

• Only Metroid Prime Federation Force HD For Some Reason.

• Just A Random JPEG Of Sylux In HD.

• Nothing, Not Even Metroid Prime Pinball. Crocomire Is Still Dead. Just Endless Despair.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Early predictions

• Fire Emblem Geneaology remake reveal (opener, early next year)
  • SMBW Trailer reveals a big new mechanic we haven’t seen yet
  • SMRPG trailer tells about the changed combat and maybe some other changes
  • MK8 Wave 6 teaser focusing on Wii Rainbow Road. New characters are Pauline and Funky. TotK Link skin and Zonai wheels added as a bonus.
  • TOTK DLC release. If nothing is shown in September, the game is getting a switch 2 version with more content instead. Basically, some of form of post launch has to happen because I don’t think they’ll leave the game without a master mode at the very least.
  • Prime 2 shadowdrop with Prime 4 teaser (closer, nebulous 2024 date)

If there’s TotK DLC, it’s gonna be pretty substantial/polished. I don’t think they’d just throw a couple of bells and whistles at one of the most anticipated and best regarded games of all time.

Genealogy remake is what I’m after though.
Yeah, I think they're holding on to announcing it because it's gonna be more of a Torna or even Sunbreak effort so they wanna take their time to make it. I believe it'll come by late 2024(as in the final wave that is the story expansion, other content will be scattered around from late 2023 to mid 2024) and launch alongside the next gen patch.

I mean Animal Crossing New Horizons got its paid DLC more than a year and a half after launch, Splatoon 3 is looking like its story expansion might take as long to come and etc. Vastly different from all EP from BotW coming within 9 months of the game's launch, Xenoblade 3 final wave of DLC coming 9 months after launch.
Early predictions

• Fire Emblem Geneaology remake reveal (opener, early next year)
  • SMBW Trailer reveals a big new mechanic we haven’t seen yet
  • SMRPG trailer tells about the changed combat and maybe some other changes
  • MK8 Wave 6 teaser focusing on Wii Rainbow Road. New characters are Pauline and Funky. TotK Link skin and Zonai wheels added as a bonus.
  • TOTK DLC release. If nothing is shown in September, the game is getting a switch 2 version with more content instead. Basically, some of form of post launch has to happen because I don’t think they’ll leave the game without a master mode at the very least.
  • Prime 2 shadowdrop with Prime 4 teaser (closer, nebulous 2024 date)
Would be among the greatest Directs ever for me!! Please show Metroid Prime 4 I beg you.
I think it'd be cool if they revealed new content or a side story for Super Mario RPG but I'm not holding my breath for it.
ok, F-zero GX Remasterd Shadow drop or Prine 2 Remasterd Shaow Drop?
I love Metroid more than anything and more Metroid is all I want but I'm afraid it might lead to franchise exhaustion or something, and I believe it deserves better than another shadowdrop(tho MPR arguably deserved more than anything and was still shadowdropped so...), so I'm going with F-Zero since it'll be a franchise revival.

Also I think Prime 2 coming now would mean it'll be more of a simpler remaster(or God forbid a Hagi port) and I wish it got the same effort as 1. Tho MPR has been ready since mid/late 2021 so it's possible one of the support studios has been working on it since then and it could be ready by now. Or they don't go for a full asset remake but add the new lighting and textures which already changes everything.

Here's my prediction:

Switch 2 needs exclusives to drive adoption. They need to be shinier and prettier than Switch games, otherwise people won't buy into the new system. They don't want games that nerds can tell are 1080 60 not 720 30; they want showpieces obviously distinct enough for casuals to spot it immediately.

Prime 4 is a Switch 1 game which has been in development for Switch 1 for years. It's going to have Switch 1 graphics, and while it could run better on Switch 2, it won't be enough of a difference to incentivise people to buy new hardware.

As such, Prime 4 won't be crossgen

Therefore, we'll see Prime 4 at the end of next direct. It'll be the Summer 2024 Switch swan song.

FWIW I don't think it's magical girl transformation, but more stage show transformation where an actor or actress gets a complete makeover in seconds on stage in front of a live audience.
c7NJRa2.gif

If it came down to it, I don't think there's any reason for TOTK DLC to show up in a September Direct. Not only because I believe it's "too soon", but I think the TGAs makes a bit more sense for such a thing, at the earliest. After all, it both tosses Geoff Keighley a bone for his award show, and TOTK is an easy contender for winning GOTY, anyway, so even more eyes.

Here's my prediction:

Switch 2 needs exclusives to drive adoption. They need to be shinier and prettier than Switch games, otherwise people won't buy into the new system. They don't want games that nerds can tell are 1080 60 not 720 30; they want showpieces obviously distinct enough for casuals to spot it immediately.

Prime 4 is a Switch 1 game which has been in development for Switch 1 for years. It's going to have Switch 1 graphics, and while it could run better on Switch 2, it won't be enough of a difference to incentivise people to buy new hardware.

Therefore, we'll see Prime 4 at the end of next direct. It'll be the Summer 2024 Switch swan song.
Tbh I hope that if it's not cross gen it doesn't come any later than May, with March being the sweet spot. Definitely hope it doesn't come after Switch 2 is revealed.

I definitely agree that Switch needs exclusives and it'll have those(probably 3D Mario, definitely Mario Kart and Animal Crossing), but I believe it'll gain a lot from getting a lot of cross gen games. If anything because with COVID delays and games taking way longer to make or changing scope made a lot of games that started development for Switch end up coming when Switch 2 is out(2D Zelda? Astral Chain 2? Mario Party and Pokémon almost definitely).

Here's my prediction:

That would be sending it out to die. That's way too close to the Switch 2 launch if it isn't cross-gen. March 2024 at the latest if it's Switch exclusive.

Maybe they will tease Hyrule Warriors: The Imprisoning War for next year?

Like, we all agree that this makes the most sense as a crossgen title and that it will be 1000% more interesting and entertaining than anything that was shown about it in TotK right? And also that it is happening at all?

Don't feel like Prime 4 gets shown until they are very close to release... but maybe?

I keep expecting the next Mario & Sonic to get officially revealed, so if it's a spring release this could be a good time to finally do that. Or they could just wait til spring lol.

I want to believe that this will be a Donkey Kong blowout direct, with the reveal of an upcoming new game in the works and the release of several classic titles on NSO like DK 94, DK 64, DKR, MvDK, KoS, and so on... but I think I've lost most my faith in it at this point. Sad Kong noises.

Smash Bros. 64 would make for a great holiday NSO drop. But at the very least give us Excitebike 64, MP3, and Harvest Moon 64 already pls Ninty.

A revival of a dead/dormant IP or something totally new an unexpected would be really nice, tho I'm worried about those sort of things getting buried by all this Mario stuff later in the year, and possibly being better served as launch titles for whatever is next. But maybe that's a silly thought considering how diverse the audience on Switch has continued to prove to be?

We should get closer looks into the aforementioned Mario Wonder and SMRPG stuff, and personally I can't wait.

Anyways, it's just so nice to have one of these threads back... nice work!

I think Donkey Kong makes way more sense as summer release than Metroid Prime 4. Also it'll surely do great number no matter when it comes, and with it probably having a park opened around the time it comes and possibly a movie announced, it'll be a bit hit.
If anything I think that this will be the "farewell" Switch exclusive before Switch 2 comes.
I don't believe it's gonna be an actual farewell tho since I'm dead certain there will be a lot of cross gen games.

I'm intching for a good collectathon, maybe Playtonic will have their one of their new games ready to be announced by the time a new direct arrives? It has been a while.

This title screen jingle is ingrained in my soul:

I would do unholy things to witness the attract screen in proper 1080p HD. It's just so cool.

I still wish Synaptic Drive was better than it was, but at this point I would settle for a remake/remaster/uprezzed port of the CR Gamecube game with online multiplayer (seeing as how unlikely it is Custom Robo V1 or V2 are gonna get localized from Japan's NSO lol)

I think what sucks is that there's still too much August left. Yikes!

YOOOOO I THOUGHT THIS THREAD WASN'T LAUNCHING UNTIL THE 15TH

BUT I'M BACK IN THE HYPETRAIN BABY

Hope y'all have been doing good <3

I'm intching for a good collectathon, maybe Playtonic will have their one of their new games ready to be announced by the time a new direct arrives? It has been a while.
They confirmed a 3D sequel to Yooka-Laylee was in development back in November of 2021, and while they have been really focused on their publishing arm Playtonic Friends, their last project of their own was all the way back in 2019. I'm so psyched to see what they do with a new 3D platformer!

Predictions time!
  • Xenoblade Warriors reveal: Comes in May 2024. A Warriors spin-off to the Xenoblade series with a somewhat non-canon story that takes place after Future Connected and before Future Redeemed with hints about the disappearance of Pyra and Mythra. Mio and Noah amiibos are set to be released along with Xenoblade Warriors
  • FE4+5 remake reveal: Comes in February 2024. Contains remakes of FE4 and FE5 reimagined with 3D graphics.
  • Peach game title reveal: Now coming in March 2024. It is confirmed to be a 2.5D Action Adventure game, Peach can switch between the multiple outfits that each have their own abilities, has a beauty and the beast-like theme and story.
  • LM2 remaster release date reveal: Coming in January 2024, 2 player co-op is confirmed for story mode and ScareScraper now goes up to 8 players
  • F-Zero GX remaster reveal: Digital version releases after the direct is over and physical version releases in December 2023. A remaster of F-Zero GX in the same vein as Metroid Prime remaster and with the addition of online multiplayer.
  • Metroid Prime 4 reveal: Gameplay is shown, the game is now coming in late 2024 as a Nintendo cross-platform title.
  • MK8DX Wave 6: Release date is now late September/early October 2023. Rainbow Road Wii is confirmed to be the final track.
  • Pokemon SV DLC: Just more info about the indgo disk.
  • TOTK: Zelda and Ganondorf amiibo are coming in December 2023, will be released along with a free TOTK update.
  • Switch 2 (EXTRA): Set to be released along with Metroid Prime 4 as one of its launch titles. Improved VR support and Steam Deck-like specs are confirmed, New 3D DK, Mario Kart, and a new VR title are revealed to be coming exclusively for the Switch 2 in 2024.

I think given that this will be in close proximity of TGS, it'll be where we see Fantasy Life i and Decapolice next. At this point i'm convinced that they've been delayed into 2024, but they could always shock me and release in November and/or December.

Also very interested in seeing if the trend of shadowdropping remasters/ports of old games lives on. I could totally see Luigi's Mansion being shadowdropped in anticipation of the sequel's remaster dropping next year. If not that, A shadowdrop of Wind Waker HD and/or Twilight Princess HD with minimal upgrades over the Wii U versions would be nice.

My predictions in terms of first party content/announcements:
  • Full trailer and Title for their Peach game.
  • Metroid Prime 2+3 Remaster Shadowdrop, but unfortunately people will immediately notice it's more of a texture upres than a graphical rework like Prime 1 Remaster. Multiplayer features from 2 will be removed as well.
  • Remaster of either Donkey Kong Country Returns or Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
  • Remaster of Paper Mario 2 or Super Paper Mario
  • Fire Emblem 4 Remake
  • Preview of Wave 6 Mario kart DLC, announcement of season 2 course pass
  • Sega Master System and Commodore 64 announced for NSO+

I want to believe that this will be a Donkey Kong blowout direct, with the reveal of an upcoming new game in the works and the release of several classic titles on NSO like DK 94, DK 64, DKR, MvDK, KoS, and so on... but I think I've lost most my faith in it at this point. Sad Kong noises.

Smash Bros. 64 would make for a great holiday NSO drop. But at the very least give us Excitebike 64, MP3, and Harvest Moon 64 already pls Ninty.
I'm really curious how they'll handle it. Smash 64 and DK 64 feel like the last truly big first party N64 games that the NSO 64 app needs.

I wonder if they are confident enough in their ability to secure third party support and licensed games to keep NSO 64 going for the next few years, given that they probably intend to keep it running for at least the entirety of the next generation. If not, I wonder if the NSO 64 will simply be "done" like the NES and SNES are with the exception of the occasional update, but I dont think they'll do that to one of the main offerings of their premium subscription.

I have a really hard time seeing Geneaology Remake releasing next year before the Switch 2. We just got two Fire Emblem games and the next Fire Emblem game after Geneaology will probably not come for a few years. Why not save it for cross-gen?

Extremely real leak coming in hot don't post to reddit or put in your youtube video

Donkey Kong 94/64- The next entry for Donkey Kong is a hybrid or Donkey Kong 94 and Donkey Kony 64. It is a 2d game like DK94, but you have to play through each stage with 5 different characters (Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, Toad) before you can unlock the next one.

F-Zero Zero- The next entry in the F-Zero franchise and is portable mode only. This is a first person racing game where the gamepad is your view of the race, also comes with a bundle that includes Labo VR 2.0.

I'm really curious how they'll handle it. Smash 64 and DK 64 feel like the last truly big first party N64 games that the NSO 64 app needs.

I wonder if they are confident enough in their ability to secure third party support and licensed games to keep NSO 64 going for the next few years, given that they probably intend to keep it running for at least the entirety of the next generation. If not, I wonder if the NSO 64 will simply be "done" like the NES and SNES are with the exception of the occasional update, but I dont think they'll do that to one of the main offerings of their premium subscription.
Yeah, it's a tough one all right.

But part of me is like, if they could untangle the rights nightmare that is GoldenEye, then surely they could figure out how to get some of those other Rare games and even other licensed properties like Disney/Marvel/Star Wars/Tetris games etc., so they could have more on offer. Especially since it's a premium subscription offer.

Like they haven't even dipped into the lower profile cheap third party stuff which makes me think both N64 and GBA will get more higher profile third party games eventually, but perhaps at a snails pace.

Oh shit, this is totally where they are going to reveal Persona 3 Reload for the Switch, right?
And Pokemon gens 1-3 for the NSO! Right?

I have a really hard time seeing Geneaology Remake releasing next year before the Switch 2. We just got two Fire Emblem games and the next Fire Emblem game after Geneaology will probably not come for a few years. Why not save it for cross-gen?
They released Fire Emblem Echoes Shadow of Valentia for 3DS after Switch was out.
If Switch 2 is only coming in late 2024, they gotta have a steady lineup of Switch titles coming. This Fire Emblem remake has been rumored for ages and might even already been sitting done like Engage did.

Also I feel like saving more games than they probably already are for cross gen might mean a ton of then get pushed to 2025. I mean October and November are all but locked for Mario and Pokémon, you can add a title or two in those months but you'll have to push stuff for 2025. And they might feel like early 2024 has been ideal for this FE launch for ages already since it'll be a year after Engage.

And with Engage being content complete in summer 2021, Warriors Three Hopes releasing in mid 2022, the next main title might be well into development and Fire Emblem games don't really take long to make, so I doubt Switch 2 will take long to get its own FE title. Even as early as 2025 is possible.

Worth noting that both Switch Fire Emblem games went through a series of delays. For instance, the announcement of what would become Three Houses came over two years before it was released. Then we went over a year before there was finally more information on it when the official title was revealed at E3 2018, set for a Spring 2019 release. It was then delayed until July 2019.

In the case of Engage, it was initially meant to release in 2020 to honor Fire Emblem's 30th anniversary. That also suffered delays due to a variety of factors (COVID being the primary reason). It would not surprise me if a Genealogy remake has been in the works for a while as well. It also wouldn't be the first time Genealogy of the Holy War released just before new hardware came out, as the original release was on May 14th, 1996. The N64 would come out in Japan the very next month. The 3DS also had three Fire Emblem titles, with the last one being released mere months after the Switch came out.

If there's any game I feel that they may be saving for cross-gen for Switch 2....I think it's Metroid Prime 4.

Predictions time!
  • Xenoblade Warriors reveal: Comes in May 2024. A Warriors spin-off to the Xenoblade series with a somewhat non-canon story that takes place after Future Connected and before Future Redeemed with hints about the disappearance of Pyra and Mythra. Mio and Noah amiibos are set to be released along with Xenoblade Warriors
  • FE4+5 remake reveal: Comes in February 2024. Contains remakes of FE4 and FE5 reimagined with 3D graphics.
  • Peach game title reveal: Now coming in March 2024. It is confirmed to be a 2.5D Action Adventure game, Peach can switch between the multiple outfits that each have their own abilities, has a beauty and the beast-like theme and story.
  • LM2 remaster release date reveal: Coming in January 2024, 2 player co-op is confirmed for story mode and ScareScraper now goes up to 8 players
  • F-Zero GX remaster reveal: Digital version releases after the direct is over and physical version releases in December 2023. A remaster of F-Zero GX in the same vein as Metroid Prime remaster and with the addition of online multiplayer.
  • Metroid Prime 4 reveal: Gameplay is shown, the game is now coming in late 2024 as a Nintendo cross-platform title.
  • MK8DX Wave 6: Release date is now late September/early October 2023. Rainbow Road Wii is confirmed to be the final track.
  • Pokemon SV DLC: Just more info about the indgo disk.
  • TOTK: Zelda and Ganondorf amiibo are coming in December 2023, will be released along with a free TOTK update.
  • Switch 2 (EXTRA): Set to be released along with Metroid Prime 4 as one of its launch titles. Improved VR support and Steam Deck-like specs are confirmed, New 3D DK, Mario Kart, and a new VR title are revealed to be coming exclusively for the Switch 2 in 2024.
I doubt they'd remake both 4 and 5 and package them into one. While their stories are interconnected, gameplay-wise they are WILDLY different.

Its a little though to make some predictions but well…

• maybe we will get a new Mario focus segment with full details of smb wonder, princess peach new game, luigis mansion 2 remaster and hopefully new DK game announcement (+ a little remainder of smrpg remake)
  • a new gamecube remaster is a given, probably prime 2 (+ 3?) as suggested by grubb. Hopefully it will be linked with first prime 4 trailer.
  • (new?) kirby game? Its general an annual IP
  • other rumoured remake/remasters like f-zero gx, kid icarus uprising, fire emblem 4/5 are possible to appear

I don’t really get the cross-gen narrative, personally. Nintendo isn’t gonna go half a year with no new games out of fear that they won’t sell. Hell, Sony launched two major AAA games the summer before the PS5 launched, and both did great.

They obviously aren’t gonna put out anything super significant within 1-2 months of launch, but they aren’t gonna go cold turkey either. Major games releasing through the end of August seems fairly likely to me.

This title screen jingle is ingrained in my soul:

I found my wii recently and I think I still have my GC copy. I just might booted it up for the music lol. A Custom Robo remaster would be great.

I guess we will start seeing "leaks" soon enough lol

The victory of Shareholder Theory makes speculation much less interesting

All three Directs of the year can be predicted down to the exact week incredibly easily

I don't think they have a better closer for this Direct than Metroid Prime 4. It doesn't have to come early 2024 for it since Bayonetta 3 was the closer of September 2021 and released in October 2022.

Also tbh I don't really believe in Prime 2 coming this year... I believe they did this amazing work with the first Metroid Prime because they wanted to get everyone ready for MP4 with it, not for the rest of the trilogy. I also assume MP4 can be somewhat of a soft reboot like Pikmin 4 but no matter what it won't require you to have played the trilogy and will have an interesting story by its own.

I don't see why they'd release 3 Metroid games in a span of 12 months instead of holding on them for otherwise Metroid-less years. After MP4, MP5 will likely not come until 2028 at the earliest, with Metroid 6 being 2025 or 2026 probably. There's plenty of time to release Prime 2 and Prime 3 remasters and make them a big deal by their own just like Zelda remasters, instead of burning the whole franchise before MP4.

Anyways I'll contradict everything I've just said and call a Samus Returns shadowdrop or release in December let's goooooooo

It’s weird to live in a reality where Fire Emblem is actually on my wishlist for the next Direct. The franchise never interested me over the years… I bought FE3H a few years ago, played for a couple hours, and didn’t pick it up again.

But when Engage came out, I decided to give the series another chance and I fell in love with it. The gameplay is so addictive and makes me feel like such a genius, especially when someone else who knows nothing about the franchise is watching me play, lol. I was always intimidated by the strategic mechanics on display, but Engage really got me into the series. After I beat it and the DLC, I tried FE3H again, and totally loved it this time. I found it even better than Engage.

I’ve since picked up Awakening and Fates: Conquest at Comic-Con, but thanks to Zelda and Pikmin, I have yet to go very far in them. Either way, I’m definitely crossing my fingers for Fire Emblem representation in the next Direct, which is definitely not something I’d ever thought I’d be saying. It’s definitely fun to become a fan of a new franchise though… it opens me up to new gameplay and lore, and plus, there are tons of older entries in the series for me to dive into while I wait for new ones! :D

SEPTEMBER Is usually more 3rd party focus, with maybe a preview into Jan/Feb release slate.
I'm expecting some more surprise ports/imppossible ports and maybe updates on DLC for existing third party games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom