• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
ironic-star-wars.gif
What do you mean??:p

Maybe the announcement of dying light 2 might make an appearance? I immensely enjoyed the first on switch (thought it was a really well done port). From my memory it was suppose to be cloud based but maybe that’s changed ?

Personally, I don’t think the “NSMB style” is defined by the character models or general asset style. That’s just modern Mario, nothing new there.

What sets NSMB apart visually from other 2D platformers beyond the obvious reuse of assets is its complete lack of depth, uncontextualized platforms, and static backgrounds. Compare it to Tropical Freeze or Metroid Dread: both of those games have dynamic backgrounds, grounded platforming segments, and some degree of 3D depth, and as a result they feel more alive. NSMB, on the other hand, is completely flat, has floating platforms littered everywhere, and the backgrounds are more or less the same throughout the level. It feels fake.

Hell, compare it to Galaxy 2’s 2D sections. Both games draw from a pretty similar asset style, but Galaxy 2 looks way better because of how dynamic it is.

Personally, I don’t think the “NSMB style” is defined by the character models or general asset style. That’s just modern Mario, nothing new there.

What sets NSMB apart visually from other 2D platformers beyond the obvious reuse of assets is its complete lack of depth, uncontextualized platforms, and static backgrounds. Compare it to Tropical Freeze or Metroid Dread: both of those games have dynamic backgrounds, grounded platforming segments, and some degree of 3D depth, and as a result they feel more alive. NSMB, on the other hand, is completely flat, has floating platforms littered everywhere, and the backgrounds are more or less the same throughout the level. It feels fake.

Hell, compare it to Galaxy 2’s 2D sections. Both games draw from a pretty similar asset style, but Galaxy 2 looks way better because of how dynamic it is.
3D World in MM2 too. Looks way better than the NSMB sytle imo

Love seeing Switch Pro rumored the same year the dang console came out.
It'd be pretty surprising if people weren't speculating about "Switch Pro" as soon as we knew the name Switch, given the announcement of PS4 Pro the month prior. I just tried a Twitter search for this, buuut the existence of the "Switch Pro Controller" wrecks the results.
We're supposedly getting remasters from the Gamecube library, that's fine.

When are we going to get remasters from the superior Wii library though?
Two years ago, Super Mario Galaxy.

What sets NSMB apart visually from other 2D platformers beyond the obvious reuse of assets is its complete lack of depth, uncontextualized platforms, and static backgrounds.
Bingo, NSMB are good and fun but feel rather basic in some aspects. I would love a 2D game with 2D graphics that feels like a spiritual succesor of Super Mario World, of course it would be more expensive than another simplistic 2.5 D game , but it's what Mario needs (not my idea specifically, I mean that it needs a huge change on the 2D series).

Literally every 2d Mario has "uncontextualized platforms", at this point it's clearly an established element of Mario's world and level design. Not every 2d platform needs to make every platform organic in the environment.

Also I find it hilarious you cite Galaxy as a positive example, great games, but absolutely the peak of Mario random shit floating in mid air.

What the hell is a Bloober team and what have they done to have such a bad reputation?
They generally make horror games that have bad gameplay but (IMO) good atmosphere and effects, however their most recent game was very controversial due to the way it framed mental illness and abuse.

Okay, the real question everyone should be asking:

What's the best animal and why is it Raccoons and Tanukis?

640px-Tanuki_in_Higashiyama_Zoo_-_2.jpg

Family-of-Raccoons.jpg
As long as you understand that tanuki (aka raccoon dogs) are completely unrelated to raccoons, despite what poor localization choices will lead you to believe! They’re in fact canids, most closely related to foxes!

And I agree, tanuki are the best!
Raccoons are pretty good, too…but they’re not tanuki!

As long as you understand that tanuki (aka raccoon dogs) are completely unrelated to raccoons, despite what poor localization choices will lead you to believe! They’re in fact canids, most closely related to foxes!

And I agree, tanuki are the best!
Raccoons are pretty good, too…but they’re not tanuki!

Oh, I know that! But I love both of them equally as much.

Quoted by: Tye
I don’t know if that’s what he meant. It’s a very short segment. He said that there’s a 50/50 chance it gets shown but he said that for E3 2021 as well.

He was 50/50 on it being at the coming Direct, but sounded more confident about it being announced early next year.

To add to @Thunder84's point, the 'NSMB' artstyle doesn't just mean '2D gameplay with 3D models'. Take for instance 3D World mode in Mario Maker 2. Looks totally different, and has way more personality. E.g. the visual effects when reaching P-speed, the long jump (including possible bonk), the twirl jump. The background effects.

Also (and this isn't about artstyle so much as it is general lack of creativity) the goddamn music. I swear, if we get another game with the "bah bah"s...

To add to @Thunder84's point, the 'NSMB' artstyle doesn't just mean '2D gameplay with 3D models'. Take for instance 3D World mode in Mario Maker 2. Looks totally different, and has way more personality. E.g. the visual effects when reaching P-speed, the long jump (including possible bonk), the twirl jump. The background effects.

Also (and this isn't about artstyle so much as it is general lack of creativity) the goddamn music. I swear, if we get another game with the "bah bah"s...
NSMB controls a lot better then 3D world in MM2, I would hate to play a full 2D Mario like that.

Bah Bah

In the absence of new games in their series, I'd absolutely welcome Switch remasters of Wario Land and Punch Out. I'd also be really happy to see Super Mario Galaxy 2, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower. While Kirby's Epic Yarn had a 3DS port, it'd look really lovely as a HD remaster. Xenoblade Chronicles was one of the titles I wanted most and got it, and I assume Metroid Prime 3 is at least being actively considered.

Struggling to think which other Wii games would come along on Switch and the next hardware, at least from Nintendo. Intelligent Systems seem to be gradually working their way through remaking the older Fire Emblem titles, so weight get Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn eventually.

Literally every 2d Mario has "uncontextualized platforms", at this point it's clearly an established element of Mario's world and level design. Not every 2d platform needs to make every platform organic in the environment.

Also I find it hilarious you cite Galaxy as a positive example, great games, but absolutely the peak of Mario random shit floating in mid air.
I’m much more forgiving of that visual direction in older games. The fact that 2D Mario continued that tradition is not something I particularly care for.

I specifically cited the 2D sections of Galaxy, not Galaxy as a whole (which IMO works given that it’s, y’know, space).

Regardless, that’s my least important criticism of the three. The flatness and static backgrounds are both much bigger issues.

Tbf we got a Suikoden game in 2012
206988_front.jpg

I played this in Japanese, it wasn't very good lol but some folks like it a good deal
Yeah I think I have it (rom) but I havent touched it. When I first saw it, it looked like a Tales of budget game.

In the absence of new games in their series, I'd absolutely welcome Switch remasters of Wario Land and Punch Out. I'd also be really happy to see Super Mario Galaxy 2, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower. While Kirby's Epic Yarn had a 3DS port, it'd look really lovely as a HD remaster. Xenoblade Chronicles was one of the titles I wanted most and got it, and I assume Metroid Prime 3 is at least being actively considered.

Struggling to think which other Wii games would come along on Switch and the next hardware, at least from Nintendo. Intelligent Systems seem to be gradually working their way through remaking the older Fire Emblem titles, so weight get Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn eventually.
This is probably a long shot, but I'd love to see Kirby's Dream Collection make its way to the Switch.

A trademark renewal, I think. It's probably nothing, but some people are hopeful.
Its mostly trademarks. But apparently some people (Andy from VGC) have heard the name floating.
Probably nothing, but I would totally take a collection or re-release of some of them. If we got some combination of 1-5 remasters in the same year as Eiyuden being essentially a new Suikoden game... man.

I want new Castlevania and MGS from Konami but I’m like… what would that even look like

Without Iga/Yamane for CV and Kojima for MGS would I even want them

I want new Castlevania and MGS from Konami but I’m like… what would that even look like

Without Iga/Yamane for CV and Kojima for MGS would I even want them
I will always take a new Castlevania game, but yeah, I'd be a bit nervous about it. At least we know ROTN2 is happening.

Probably nothing, but I would totally take a collection or re-release of some of them. If we got some combination of 1-5 remasters in the same year as Eiyuden being essentially a new Suikoden game... man.
I would love a collection but of the spinoffs. As a handheld kid growing up I saw Suikoden Tierkreis for the ds and never bought it cause I was not into rpgs at the time.

Ok Fami--

We've officially reached the point where no direct can hold all the games being rumored. I don't even see how they will all fit into 2023 at this point. With the direct around the corner its time to have realistic expectations.
Mother 1-3 remaster collection in 2023.
Mother 4 in 2024.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom