• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
In that case, is it pointless to judge any year against a year in which both a mainline 3D Zelda and a mainline 3D Mario are released?

Basically yes. The same can be said about any person with their very favorite games - they can weigh pretty heavily.

It's the unfortunate truth for me is that until Nintendo releases another open-air Zelda, there's little chance that a year is going to stand up to 2017. Breath of the Wild skewed my perception of games that much. And even if we get a new Zelda, Nintendo would need to release several more bangers - Xenoblade 2, Odyssey and Splatoon 2 also sit among my favorite experiences on the platform.

Had they delivered on Breath of the Wild 2 this year I could see my 2017 being dethroned - but without Zelda? Hard to say where this year will rank.

Edit:

If that's the case, then they're never going to like another year as much as 2017 until they release another mainline Mario and mainline Zelda in the same year.

yup.

Like, you're "showing your hand"? Or like... you're showing us your hand?!!
It’s not as exciting as you think lmao

Literally just my hand

Just to make it special for you all, I’ll show you my rightie since it’s the hand I write with

If a full, General Nintendo Direct is announced tomorrow, I will do something UNPRECEDENTED in Famiboards history

An IRL hand reveal

hand-hands.gif

If that's the case, then they're never going to like another year as much as 2017 until they release another mainline Mario and mainline Zelda in the same year.
That may be partially true, but the love for Zelda and Mario is based on them being consistently amazing franchises. Surely it's possible to compete with them, we've seen franchises like Metroid reach similar highs in terms of reception, it's just not as consistent. On Gamecube I'd say most put Metroid ahead of Mario (and many ahead of Zelda) so it's possible. BotW and Odyssey just happen to be really high highs. Metroid, DK, Smash, Kart or whatever would need to bring their A game to compete.

Also the next Eldin Ring or something could be right around the corner for Switch and we don't know about it.

Has there been any hints of insiders or why are some of you seriously expecting an announcement this month?

The only thing we could get in the short term (other than Pokémon news this or next week) is a Splatoon 3 direct and I don't expect that until August at least.

In that case, is it pointless to judge any year against a year in which both a mainline 3D Zelda and a mainline 3D Mario are released?
For me personally as a Mario & Zelda nut, it’d definitely be possible to top 2017 without doing both a 3D Mario and Zelda, with two possibilities

1) one of those + Metroid Prime instead of the other. I rank Metroid Prime at the same tier (well, higher actually) than 3D Mario and Zelda.

2) one of those + multiple other great games in the same year that make up for the lack of the other. 2017 was great objectively, but aside from those two, I’m not really into Splatoon or ARMS personally. So a year where we get BotW2, but no 3D Mario, BUT kid Icarus reboot, new Fire Emblem, Wario Land, 2D Metroid or something could altogether put it above 2017.

This is assuming all games listed meet quality standards I have for their series

I firmly believe BotW is the reason people treat 2017 as if it was the best year ever on the Switch. If you removed BotW from 2017 I think you'd have a small fraction of those people still calling it a better year.

Hot take: 2021 and 2022 are both better years for the Switch than 2017.

2017 had:
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  • Splatoon 2
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Doom
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris

2021 had
  • Metroid Dread
  • Shin Megami Tensei V
  • New Pokemon Snap
  • Monster Hunter Rise
  • Bravely Default 2
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

2022 has
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
  • Splatoon 3
  • Pokemon Legends Arceus
  • Pokemon Scarlet & Violet
  • Triangle Strategy
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  • Nintendo Switch Sports
(insane year, and without Zelda so far!)

2017 being better than 2021 or 2022 depends on if you're a Zelda/Mario fan, because beyond that in my opinion they were better years for the Switch.
2017 being the greatest year in gaming to me is only partially due to Switch, I'll admit; if we're talking ONLY Switch then I think 2019 and possibly 2022 beat it (but maybe just 2019, the more I think about it). 2019 having Astral Chain, Link's Awakening, FE:TH, DQ11S, and Pokemon Sw/Sh was a big year for me.

But looked at across all of gaming, 2017 is just unlikely to EVER be beaten for me personally, since it had so many games that really hit for me on a level that I rarely see: Gravity Rush 2, Tales of Berseria, Nioh, Hollow Knight, BOTW, Persona 5, FF12:TZA, Metroid: SR, Steamworld Dig 2, Pokemon USUM, Mario Odyssey, XC2, and many others even. 3-5 of those are games that I'd probably put on my personal top games of all time. Just an astonishingly good year.

Mario & Zelda is just Nintendo distilled, it’s hard to blame people for caring about them the most.

It’s where we get a glimpse into the minds of Nintendo’s top internal developers and how they’re pushing game design forward, what creative ideas they’ve come up with, etc. What they can do with the biggest budget possible. How they evolve their most longstanding and beloved IPs that they’ve nurtured for 30 years.

Flagship centerpiece titles that are representative of the company in every sense of the words.

This Nintendo event expectation without any sane basis is an interesting case of Mass hysteria.
I don't expect anything at all, but I'm ready to be proven wrong!

So, what’s da probability that a direct announcement or some kind of announcement will happen tomorrow?

I’m sitting at about zero right now. As tuned in as I might be in here, until somebody like Nate chimes in I don’t have any reason to really expect something to happen.

Even if it’s not Nate, somebody usually drops a hint.

Mario & Zelda is just Nintendo distilled, it’s hard to blame people for caring about them the most.

It’s where we get a glimpse into the minds of Nintendo’s top internal developers and how they’re pushing game design forward, what creative ideas they’ve come up with, etc. What they can do with the biggest budget possible. How they evolve their most longstanding and beloved IPs that they’ve nurtured for 30 years.

Flagship centerpiece titles that are representative of the company in every sense of the words.
Jeez calm down with the hype

If anything. We’ll get Xenoblade previews by next week or after. That’ll be fun.

And the game will leak.

And I will ask for the soundtrack leaks.

And I’ll be pre-loading Xenoblade 3 the week of release

And I’ll be angry at those “got my game early cause amazing screwed up”. Bunch of lies

And then I’ll play it for like an hour and put it aside until the month after cus something will Cause me to not have time for games

I...will not allow this (I guess I will cause I can't do anything about it).

Tetris 99 is great though. I'm so glad it exists.
Actually I should take back what I said. I played PPT for a good 60 hours and enjoyed it a good deal, but after T99 and TEC were released I've felt no reason to return to PPT.

Am I too late to the 2017 chat? It's defo the best year for own my tastes and yeah Zelda and Mario are a big part of that. I also really loved ARMS and Splatoon 2 as well though and they're still 2 of the games I put most hours into on switch. MK8D as well which I nearly forgot to mention cos it's a port but I played loads of it that year as well.

Other years.. there's been a lot of Pokémon and jrpgs, neither of which I'm into. 2019 is my 2nd chouce with Marvel UA, Astral Chain, Links Awakening and Luigis Mansion. I like single player, non-turn-based stuff

So yeah 2017 for me but I appreciate I'm going to be the odd one on a switch forum for not liking all the jrpgs that are on there 😂

If BotW2 or even Fire Emblem made 2022, then it could've been in discussion for me alongside 2017. But without those nah. Great year still, very close in fact, but not quite GOAT material. Though 2017 was bolstered by a ton of all timer non-Nintendo games as well, so maybe that's skewing things in my mind a bit. 2022 has been a bit quiet on that front imo outside of Elden Ring and Sunbreak. We'll see if Ragnarok still hits

If BotW2 or even Fire Emblem made 2022, then it could've been in discussion for me alongside 2017. But without those nah. Great year still, very close in fact, but not quite GOAT material. Though 2017 was bolstered by a ton of all timer non-Nintendo games as well, so maybe that's skewing things in my mind a bit. 2022 has been a bit quiet on that front imo outside of Elden Ring and Sunbreak. We'll see if Ragnarok still hits

Same. With Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime being a visual remake, and an excellent Splatoon 3 campaign it might be able to mingle with 2017.

BotW is the GOAT game for me. That weighs heavily. Certain games carry more weight. You can say 2019 had more appealing games to me overall, but BotW’s quality and experience can’t be touched by anything else this generation for me.

It’s not even about being a 3D Zelda because I don’t think any of my past best years ever had 3D Zelda in it.

It’s not even about being a 3D Zelda because I don’t think any of my past best years ever had 3D Zelda in it.

Yeah this is a clear distinction for me as well.

Announce another OoT-like? A waste of resources by my tastes. Give me a new 2D Zelda if you want to regress.

You didn't get a proper answer earlier, so here it is:

NES had the first three months of post-launch releases revealed at launch, then became monthly shadowdrops until the first anniversary of the service (when SNES launched). Then both platforms started getting updates on a more infrequent schedule; usually in February, May, July, September and December (but last year we had a few less and this year we've gotten a few more so far).

Mega Drive had no post-launch plans announced besides "more coming" but we seem to be in a bimonthly schedule so far; with updates in October, December, February, April and July (1st; so pretty much June). I'd expect the next batch in August.
thank you!

Is there a reason for this poll to feature both DLSS and non-DLSS options? I'm honest, i'm too lazy to read all the pages that were made since yesterday afternoon,

Is there a reason for this poll to feature both DLSS and non-DLSS options? I'm honest, i'm too lazy to read all the pages that were made since yesterday afternoon,
The poll is basically major new hardware announcement/event or an event with no new major hardware (ie just a first party software event).

We will get a 1 hour and 14 minutes of the next NSO N64 roadmap.

It will mainly feature the games that won’t come on the N64 NSO.

irritated by reactions to the partner direct, nate the drake decided to keep news of the july 5th switch pro announcement to himself

A smokescreen! A clever deception on Nintendo's part to fool us into thinking there won't be a direct!
My theory is that they've made 75-85% of the global population sign an NDA that prevents them from talking about it.

I haven't signed one, mind you. Though... if I had, I wouldn't be able to tell you anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom