• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST|

When will the next general Direct (full or mini) be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I really want some new IPs from Nintendo

Like they don't have to be longstanding tentpole releases

Just a new tactical RPG, or racing game, or a clever take on a sidescrolling platformer.

Something memorable with deep gameplay—I think the last time we got something like that was Arms.

But what was the last interesting, mechanically deep, new single player Nintendo game we've gotten that wasn't a sequel or part of an existing series

I'm thinking stuff like Pikmin and Animal Forest
And no F-Zero.

I hope that Nintendo considers making an F-Zero game.

...Only to make a completely new IP.

TrollFace.jpg

A shame that this thread is going to get locked after the Direct on Monday. 😎 #TeamJanuary
yeah, the procedure here is to lock shortly after announcement

I'll either request it be reopened for the post direct stuff or request to make a post-season recap thread

Oh yeah, StarFox Adventures 2
Yeah, what we need is Starfox Assault 2 instead. A game built on all the things Assault brought to the table but just done right. Nintendo should've tried to reach Ubisoft and the Starlink devs cuz they did a wonderful job on the Starfox side. From the look of the characters and Arwing, the dialogue, the Corneria remix or the gameplay in space. Plus Ubisoft knows how to nail the controls for a tps (Fox on the ground) way better than even modern Namco or any non sense devs Nintendo would hired. (I.E. Tecmo Koei)

Also, the graphics were impressive (with no loading) for what was a downport to Switch.

Yeah, what we need is Starfox Assault 2 instead. A game built on all the things Assault brought to the table but just done right. Nintendo should've tried to reach Ubisoft and the Starlink devs cuz they did a wonderful job on the Starfox side. From the look of the characters and Arwing, the dialogue, the Corneria remix or the gameplay in space. Plus Ubisoft knows how to nail the controls for a tps (Fox on the ground) way better than even modern Namco or any non sense devs Nintendo would hired. (I.E. Tecmo Koei)

Also, the graphics were impressive (with no loading) for what was a downport to Switch.

I suspect working for Nintendo on a Star Fox project isn't as appealing (financially) as putting them on Watch Dogs, Far Cry or Splinter Cell.

When Direct is announced what will be the "spotlight title"? But i guess maybe there won't be one. When they announced September Direct they haven't announce the spotlight title.

Yeah i could see that, there should be test fire announced at any time. Curious if they will give a release date for this one, should be around the time when E3 happens.
It’ll definitely be Splatoon 3. It’ll probably get its own direct in like March or April too.

Last edited:
Obviously, everyone has their own opinions, but I hope Xenoblade 3 is more of a Xenoblade 1 2, rather than once jokingly suggested Xenoblade 2 2.

Xenoblade 2 was not a game I enjoyed and felt it was way, way, WAY too anime. Not that Xenoblade 1 didn't have ridiculous outfits, but at least it didn't have any haha boobies humor. It's a real shame because I liked the gameplay and gacha Metroidvania-like elements of exploration.

As for BotW OST, it's definitely not the type of music I listen to on my own, as I prefer more bombastic and melodic tunes, but in context of the game it's downright one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard.

The February Directs on Switch have normally had a good number of Nintendo-published reveals - 2019 had Super Mario Maker 2 as the opener and Astral Chain and Link's Awakening to close, with stuff like Tetris 99 and the first footage for Dragon Quest XI S, all as 2019 titles. Fire Emblem got its July release date in that Direct, as did Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, both of which had previously been announced. Like this year, Nintendo had already tweeted out the release date for a March release (Yoshi's Crafted World that year).

Last year's was packed with reveals, though the first half release schedule was fairly empty before that: Splatoon 3 and Triangle Strategy were announced for 2022; Miitopia, Mario Golf, DC Superheroes Girls, and Skyward Sword HD were announced for the 2021 slate and all launched by mid July. Detective Club had an international release confirmed for May.

Difficult to know what approach Nintendo take this year in terms of the number of reveals. I'd honestly expect at least 3: Everybody Switch, new Fire Emblem, and one out of Metroid Prime HD, Xenoblade 3, or a Wild Card. Release dates for Advance Wars (April) and Splatoon 3 (June/July), pretty obviously.

I guess it depends on how confident Nintendo are on second half 2022 games and whether they want to start showing stuff for 2023 just yet; Splatoon 3's reveal last year may well have been down to the need to recruit staff for the game so I'm not sure how much we can read into that.

Obviously, everyone has their own opinions, but I hope Xenoblade 3 is more of a Xenoblade 1 2, rather than once jokingly suggested Xenoblade 2 2.

Xenoblade 2 was not a game I enjoyed and felt it was way, way, WAY too anime. Not that Xenoblade 1 didn't have ridiculous outfits, but at least it didn't have any haha boobies humor. It's a real shame because I liked the gameplay and gacha Metroidvania-like elements of exploration.

As for BotW OST, it's definitely not the type of music I listen to on my own, as I prefer more bombastic and melodic tunes, but in context of the game it's downright one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard.
Personally I would really dislike a XC 1 2 compared to a 2 2.

I don't like some of XC2's character designs and the aforementioned boobie humor, but for me it's like, far better than XC1 on every other level. Gameplay, story, characters, setting, themes, soundtrack, etc.

Just cut down on the problematic elements in the next game and you're golden.

The February Directs on Switch have normally had a good number of Nintendo-published reveals - 2019 had Super Mario Maker 2 as the opener and Astral Chain and Link's Awakening to close, with stuff like Tetris 99 and the first footage for Dragon Quest XI S, all as 2019 titles. Fire Emblem got its July release date in that Direct, as did Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, both of which had previously been announced. Like this year, Nintendo had already tweeted out the release date for a March release (Yoshi's Crafted World that year).

Last year's was packed with reveals, though the first half release schedule was fairly empty before that: Splatoon 3 and Triangle Strategy were announced for 2022; Miitopia, Mario Golf, DC Superheroes Girls, and Skyward Sword HD were announced for the 2021 slate and all launched by mid July. Detective Club had an international release confirmed for May.

Difficult to know what approach Nintendo take this year in terms of the number of reveals. I'd honestly expect at least 3: Everybody Switch, new Fire Emblem, and one out of Metroid Prime HD, Xenoblade 3, or a Wild Card. Release dates for Advance Wars (April) and Splatoon 3 (June/July), pretty obviously.

I guess it depends on how confident Nintendo are on second half 2022 games and whether they want to start showing stuff for 2023 just yet; Splatoon 3's reveal last year may well have been down to the need to recruit staff for the game so I'm not sure how much we can read into that.
I have Fire Emblem and Everybody Switch as locks for new game reveals. The third game I have is Xenoblade 3 or Metroid Prime HD or 2D DK (if real).

I hope it will be a combination of Xenoblade 1 and 2. More so Torna.

I think XBDE had a great story. But two had overall beter gameplay imo. XBC2 would also be better if it was less anime so I would say it becomes more like two with less anime I would be happy :D.

Personally I would really dislike a XC 1 2 compared to a 2 2.

I don't like some of XC2's character designs and the aforementioned boobie humor, but for me it's like, far better than XC1 on every other level. Gameplay, story, characters, setting, themes, soundtrack, etc.

Just cut down on the problematic elements in the next game and you're golden.
Pretty much this.

I know ALOT of people believe a Mario game has to come with the Mario movie.

This is where the 2D DK rumor throws me for a loop. It’s said someone in EPD 8 is making it and of course 3D Mario. If 2D DK comes I don’t see 3D Mario coming if BotW 2 makes it. There’s also a possibility of a brand new 2D Mario game. If that comes then 2D DK doesn’t come. If BotW 2 doesn’t make it then 3D Mario can come.

Last edited:

I totally expect that they will have EPD 9 or EPD Tokyo game there, it's time. One of these should release this year so it would be fitting.

I know ALOT of people believe a Mario game has to come with the Mario movie.
The Sonic movie didn't have a game come out alongside it.
The Detective Pikachu movie didn't have a game come out alongside it.

I genuinely don't think they need to put a game out with the movie. The movie will be fine on it's own, and any Mario game will be fine on it's own.

I genuinely don't think they need to put a game out with the movie. The movie will be fine on it's own, and any Mario game will be fine on it's own.
I agree. I never believed in a Mario game has to come with the movie. I was just speculating on behalf of those who believe a Mario game has to come for the movie.

Now, Nintendo could just have a 3D/2D Mario game completed and they could use it, but in my eyes the movie never dictates they should have a game for it.

This.

Plus there are tons of Mario evergreens that will be boosted by the movie. And SOME sort of Mario game will come out in the fall. One always does.

I totally expect that they will have EPD 9 or EPD Tokyo game there, it's time. One of these should release this year so it would be fitting.
The biggest limitation on EPD is going to be the shared pool of staff - the 800 or so people who move from one project to the next. Zelda and Splatoon presumably have very large teams drawn mostly (but not entirely) from that pool. Everybody Switch is presumably less demanding, of course.

I think the issue for me is what happens with EPD if they ship four games this year? How long before we have another consistent set of releases from them? Maybe Nintendo pace this stuff out better than they did when they frontloaded 2017, even though the pandemic will have caused a bit of a pile up. It's also the case that, unlike 2017, HAL, Game Freak, and probably Intelligent Systems/Koei-Tecmo and Retro Studios (Prime HD) all have stuff to ship on Switch this year, which takes a little pressure off of EPD providing a lot of content.

That being said, I do expect another sales driver to launch in the last 4 months of the year alongside Zelda. And really, given Game Freak shipped Pokemon this week, given Mario Party was last year, and there's no way Smash is ready for a sequel, the obvious studio to ship another big selling game is EPD.

The biggest limitation on EPD is going to be the shared pool of staff - the 800 or so people who move from one project to the next. Zelda and Splatoon presumably have very large teams drawn mostly (but not entirely) from that pool. Everybody Switch is presumably less demanding, of course.

I think the issue for me is what happens with EPD if they ship four games this year? How long before we have another consistent set of releases from them? Maybe Nintendo pace this stuff out better than they did when they frontloaded 2017, even though the pandemic will have caused a bit of a pile up. It's also the case that, unlike 2017, HAL, Game Freak, and probably Intelligent Systems/Koei-Tecmo and Retro Studios (Prime HD) all have stuff to ship on Switch this year, which takes a little pressure off of EPD providing a lot of content.

That being said, I do expect another sales driver to launch in the last 4 months of the year alongside Zelda. And really, given Game Freak shipped Pokemon this week, given Mario Party was last year, and there's no way Smash is ready for a sequel, the obvious studio to ship another big selling game is EPD.
Yeah that's on point, but like i expected the new games from EPD9 and Tokyo to be revealed well before the pandemic or even last year. I expected Mario Odyssey Sequel which would use same engine and is not that demanding source-wise as for example BOTW2 but that didn't happen, they released Bowsers Fury which is more like proof of concept and didn't take that much time. Which makes me wonder that if we don't see new game from them by early 2023 then 3D Mario is ready for next gen which is fine but it's kinda shame that it will be something completely new and will probably get rid of Cappy all together.
As for EPD9 this really is wild card, next Mario Kart is probably next gen launch title but before then? ARMS sequel? New IP? Old IP reborn? Who knows.

EDP really needs more discrete teams. Feel like that used to be the case but now it's not.

EDP really needs more discrete teams. Feel like that used to be the case but now it's not.
The biggest limitation is the number of staff available; I don't think it really matters how many senior producer groups there are, because those groups already oversee multiple projects, both within EPD and externally. EPD 5 didn't need to become two production groups to handle two franchises, for example. EPD 9 doesn't need to split into two separate groups to make a new IP and a new Mario Kart; they need access to more developers, artists, and programmers.

The key thing for EPD is to have more games in full production at the same time. That problem is solved with more staff and more development space and, thankfully, that seems to now be happening.

I think it's interesting there's no leaks or any rumors on what EPD 9 are making

The obvious choice is a new MK, but wouldn't that be known already for industry insiders?

I think it's interesting there's no leaks or any rumors on what EPD 9 are making

The obvious choice is a new MK, but wouldn't that be known already for industry insiders?
From what I remember different people had heard about a Mario Kart project in development at EPD 9; but then Mario Kart Tour emerged, and then Mario Kart Live emerged, so it's unclear if there's a new Kart for Switch. Apart from that, I don't think there's been any concrete suggestion of what EPD 9 could be doing - not even any hiring calls pointing towards a genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom