• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST|

When will the next general Direct (full or mini) be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, I'm totally fine with it? I don't need new IP all the time. I'm a simple woman: if it's fun, it's fun
They are surprising us like once a year with totally unexpected stuff I would say? Sounds good to me.
That's totally fair

I guess I just see past Nintendo consoles up until the GC to have more varied and interesting first party lineup and wish that current Nintendo is more comparable to that era

nah obviously 2022 is a huge year

it's just making me rethink my yearning as a Speculator for the fabled big year, when I really should've appreciated 2020 and 2021 which will both end up being better for me personally

all part of a trend of me recognizing what I actually like instead of chasing what's big money all the time

I think the only reason to bemoan 2022 is because most of the games we've known coming, rumoured or could reasonably have expected to come out is all news from 6 months+ ago.

Now, if Nintendo decides to drop a bombshell of Custom Robo on us, hot damn this'll be the best year for gaming since 2004

NLG should make Starfox into a Ratchet and Clank style shooter but when you travel between planets it’s classic Starfox gameplay. Also online dogfights.
Technically the staff in Starfox Adventures was a first person (fireball) shooter, so...

I think the only reason to bemoan 2022 is because most of the games we've known coming, rumoured or could reasonably have expected to come out is all news from 6 months+ ago.

Now, if Nintendo decides to drop a bombshell of Custom Robo on us, hot damn this'll be the best year for gaming since 2004
To be fair, things like the Prime remaster and new Fire Emblem are fairly recent developments in Rumourville, even if neither is a wild surprise. Everybody Switch is a pretty unusual development, too, even if it's not sounding like anything special.

Partially this is just another aspect of the pandemic, too. Everything's taken longer than expected to arrive and so there isn't as much mystery and excitement. Be great to have some Direct announcements which catch everyone off guard, mind.

5fhcuxyo.gif

To be fair, things like the Prime remaster and new Fire Emblem are fairly recent developments in Rumourville, even if neither is a wild surprise. Everybody Switch is a pretty unusual development, too, even if it's not sounding like anything special.

Partially this is just another aspect of the pandemic, too. Everything's taken longer than expected to arrive and so there isn't as much mystery and excitement. Be great to have some Direct announcements which catch everyone off guard, mind.
Yeah, you're right it is just another extension of the pandemic. I mean, hell most of these games probably would have released even a year ago before shit hit the fan. Even if Metroid Prime trilogy was touted for years and only just recently became one game, I only want to have it officially confirmed so it's removed from the general rumour mill speculation after hearing about it for so long (I think the same of Fire Emblem, but also I've just never given FE a fair shake and really can't be arsed to get into it so it's always a non-contender for me). Some proper announcements that aren't expected but warmly welcomed would be huge.

A remake of Paper Mario 64 and TTYD for a 2 in 1 release would be the dream. Toss an amiibo and art book and inject it into my veins.
If the artbook isn't a pop-up book I don't want it. (but I do want PM64 and TTYD in HD without relying on fan HD texture hacks for use in emulators).

The voice acting in Starfox Adventures was the perfect level of cheese and streets ahead of StarFox Assault. It still remains my top five favourite Zelda games

I'm curious as to what it'll be like in this thread next month 👀

yeahhh this would do it for me

also 2020 was a major raccoon year. we got animal crossing, clubhouse games, my first paper mario and pikmin

all tremendously swag
Don't forget Hades, arguably the best indies to ever hit Switch which also had console exclusivity on Switch for quite some time
A remake of Paper Mario 64 and TTYD for a 2 in 1 release would be the dream. Toss an amiibo and art book and inject it into my veins.
I would no joke pay $250 for this.

Last edited:
The next mystery Switch game is actually Miyamoto the Giant. It's a more sophisticated and nightmarish version of Doshin the Giant but now Miyamoto is in the game.

Just got a DM from a reptuable poster on what the mysterious switch game is, all I can say is "Are we having fun yet?"

EDIT: This is a joke to this refence

Last edited:
Just got a DM from a reptuable poster on what the mysterious switch game is, all I can say is "Are we having fun yet?"
I dunno, I wouldn't trust any insider randomly DMing you who doesn't have Bruce Lee as their profile pic 😉

With Arceus soon out, all the rumors and fake leaks should escalate :p
Hopefully we're not far off from a Direct now!

Don't forget Hades, arguably the best indie to ever hit Switch which also had console exclusivity on Switch for quite some time

I'll take it even further - Arguably one of the best games of all time. Not just on Switch, but on all systems ever.
Hades is one of the goats, truly.

The saving grace about 2020 was definitely the indie games - within like a month or so there was a whole squad of some of my favorite indies on the system.

August-September
Spiritfarer
Hades
A Short Hike
Ori and the Will of the Wisps "indie"

I have made a decision, if a direct is announced for the 9th or 10th of February, i will give away a download code for the US eShop of any first party game. Are we allowed to do giveaways?

Throwing my hat in the opposite ring, I can’t get hyped for a new IP. It has to prove itself.

Investing time into a franchise, watching it grow, wondering what they can do next, comparing new games to past entries. That’s all so fun to me. There’s just that emotional connection from a franchise you’ve loved that you can’t get with a new IP until you play it.

Give me all the sequels! 2022 is going to be great.

I would really be surprised if BotW2 is more of the same tbh. That would go completely against their design philosophy and the game is taking a very long time to come out.

I agree with you. It will be very strange it the game really is all asset reuse and world reuse like it seems. I think the trailer was intentionally deceptive on that front. I don't think we're in for a full-blown MGS2-style fake-out but I do think there's going to be a world to explore that's newer to the player than the trailer suggested.

The question of software gaps in 2023 has come up a couple of times and to be honest, the only reason I think gaps open up in 2023 is if 2023 games aren't on target. I don't think there's a case this year that Nintendo will be planning to release so much that they look at 2023 and go "oh no, it's empty". If it's the case that say, Fire Emblem remake in 2023 is looking uncertain, then yeah, something might get pushed back to compensate.

I keep joking about parking games in 2023 but right now I've mentally planted the following as potential 2023 releases:

• Wind Waker HD (assuming Grezzo aren't on Zelda)
  • Pokemon Gen 9
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Grezzo's Original Project
  • Next Level's next game
  • Good-Feel's next game
  • Yoshi's Woolly World port
  • Fire Emblem Echoes: Holy War
  • Style Savvy (if it doesn't appear this year)

The biggest question mark I have over 2023 is whether EPD have the resources and efficiency to finish 2 or 3 major games this year and still launch major games in 2023. Assuming we get 2 or 3 EPD games this year, I'd guess we might get 2 of the following next year:

• EPD 8 3D Mario
  • EPD 9 game
  • EPD 10 2D Mario
  • EPD 4 new IP
  • EPD 7 Tomodachi Life

Obviously depends on whether EPD ship more than Splatoon 3 and Zelda in 2022.

This really lines up with my expectations, too. The only exception being my hope that Pikmin comes out by the end of 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom