• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST|

When will the next general Direct (full or mini) be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if Zelda gets delayed it has nothing to do with the other games around it. Zelda in 2023 will only be because it’s a huge complex game that they want to make sure is perfect which is extra hard to do during Covid (which is currently really impacting Japan again with hospitals overwhelmed). It’s their prestige series and they treat it as such.

What are people's thoughts on Pokemon this Q4?

Personally, I'm not counting on Game Freak having another RPG ready in 2022 after Legends. I thought Legends would have DLC, and that might follow the traditional patterns: 1) announced in a Pokemon Day Presentation 2) launches in 2 stages, first part in summer, second in November.

Without Pokemon, Nintendo are short of a solid 15 to 20 million seller late in the year (apart from Zelda). Mario movie aside, I'd expect a major Mario title late this year to complement Zelda. It's also another reason I expect Nintendo to push to have Zelda out in 2022, and why I think this could be a big year for EPD. There isn't really another studio Nintendo can lean on to produce that kind of hit. I know Next Level had a big late year hit with Luigi's Mansion 3 in 2019, but I wouldn't expect them to have something new just yet. And Mario Party, which has exploded on Switch, has just had a new release.
I just don’t know. Arceus DLC seems the most likely and we should start learning in the next two weeks if that’s the case. On the other hand, Pokemon is not just a game series because the anime, trading card game etc. are all dependent on the games having a set schedule. I wouldn’t put it past Gamefreak to stick to that rigid schedule above the quality of their games. They’ll do whatever it takes to keep their schedule.

What are people's thoughts on Pokemon this Q4?

Personally, I'm not counting on Game Freak having another RPG ready in 2022 after Legends. I thought Legends would have DLC, and that might follow the traditional patterns: 1) announced in a Pokemon Day Presentation 2) launches in 2 stages, first part in summer, second in November.

Without Pokemon, Nintendo are short of a solid 15 to 20 million seller late in the year (apart from Zelda). Mario movie aside, I'd expect a major Mario title late this year to complement Zelda. It's also another reason I expect Nintendo to push to have Zelda out in 2022, and why I think this could be a big year for EPD. There isn't really another studio Nintendo can lean on to produce that kind of hit. I know Next Level had a big late year hit with Luigi's Mansion 3 in 2019, but I wouldn't expect them to have something new just yet. And Mario Party, which has exploded on Switch, has just had a new release.
If there's anything from Game Freak, it will most likely be DLC. As low an opinion I have of Game Freak's scheduling, I don't think they're that recklessly aggressive.

There could very well be one or more spin-offs over the course of 2022, though.

Will we see more Zelda in the next Direct? They could have a short teaser leading up to the full E3 Direct reveal.

I don't expect Zelda in the next Direct. The only way I can see it happening is if it's Windwaker and/or Twilight Princess HD ports. But if those get announced, that would translate to "soft confirmation: BOTW2 is early 2023" for me. So i'd rather it doesn't happen.

What I do wanna see is Xenoblade 3 or whatever else Monolith has been working on. I need a new Monilith game in my life PRONTO.
Anything else is just cherries on top at this point (to me personally).

If they were able to show Splatoon 3 during the last direct, I believe it is entirely possible they'll show Zelda in a February direct

I’m not losing hope of seeing BotW2 in February either. A title reveal at E3 for a launch this holiday would be quite a short turnaround for the series (for an entry of this caliber at least).

I’m not losing hope of seeing BotW2 in February either. A title reveal at E3 for a launch this holiday would be quite a short turnaround for the series (for an entry of this caliber at least).

Once they know with confidence when it's coming, they'll spend most of the year ramping up the marketing towards the release date. So if it's a 2022 game, they'd probably say so in the first Direct this year. If we don't see that, probably a sign it's 2023.

My issue with 2D Mario is that Nintendo have had less time to prep a new 2D Mario than they've had for 3D Mario. It's absolutely possible, but support for Mario Maker 2 only wrapped up in early 2020 and there is the pandemic to factor into things. We're in the unusual position whereby the 3 biggest Mario games - Kart, 2D, and 3D - are all sort of due new entries. Obviously, they're not all going to appear at the same time, but it wouldn't surprise me if we see all three over the next 2 years.
Looking at the credits, only about 30 - 35 people who worked on Mario Maker 2 also worked on New Super Mario Bros U & New Super Luigi U. Possible that the majority of the SMB team has been working on a 2D SMB game in the interim and the 30 staff members from Mario Maker 2 joined them when DLC wrapped up.

As much as I want BOTW2 to release this year, and I think it will, I can see Zelda being delayed.

Looking at the credits, only about 30 - 35 people who worked on Mario Maker 2 also worked on New Super Mario Bros U & New Super Luigi U. Possible that the majority of the SMB team has been working on a 2D SMB game in the interim and the 30 staff members from Mario Maker 2 joined them when DLC wrapped up.
Given how EPD works, it's also entirely possible the other staff were simply assigned to other internal projects.

I don't expect Zelda in the next Direct. The only way I can see it happening is if it's Windwaker and/or Twilight Princess HD ports. But if those get announced, that would translate to "soft confirmation: BOTW2 is early 2023" for me. So i'd rather it doesn't happen.

What I do wanna see is Xenoblade 3 or whatever else Monolith has been working on. I need a new Monilith game in my life PRONTO.
Anything else is just cherries on top at this point (to me personally).
I don’t see Nintendo revealing TP/WW with no mention of BotW2.

If BOTW2 gets pushed to 2023, it's probably for platform reasons.

I've always felt it's a great entree to a Pro, but not so sure anymore if we're past that and into Switch 2 territory. But it is possible if Nintendo wants to launch the Switch 2 with the same Mario/Zelda one-two punch in the same fiscal year. We should hope they learned their lesson with Wii U/3DS and GameCube's launches.

The other thing is, I never quite bought the line of thinking people took about BOTW 2 not being a 'real' 2022 game because of vague wording at their E3 direct last year.

I think they genuinely didn't know when it was launching, but they were sincerely targeting 2022. The only firm thing we got out of that was it was very likely not a H1 2022 release.

Because of COVID my jury duty which was going to be on February 9th (thus convincing me a Direct was happening that day) was postponed by 21 months, so I'm sorry to say we won't have another direct until late 2023.

It's sad because I really want WWHD and TPHD on the Switch, but I know that will probably mean a BOTW delay. I'll never get to play TP at this rate 🥲

Wind Waker HD is the 2023 Zelda game (20 years since the international release, 10 since the HD release)

Twilight Princess HD is the 2026 Zelda game (20 years since original release, 10 years since HD release)

Ocarina of Time HD is the 2028 Zelda release (30 years since original release)

If we're lucky, new 2D/top-down Zelda gets 2024. Breath of the Wild 3 gets 2027.

I'm still confident in Breath of the Wild 2 coming this year. I think Nate was just speculating. And we have way more reason to expect it this year than expecting a delay.

I think they will have either Mario Kart or 3D Mario for spring 2023. The other will be holiday 2023. So I think they'll have a 2D Mario ready for December. It's damn time since the last one will be 10 years old by the end of the year. Also, it'll be 3.5 years since Maker 2, and even that didn't take the whole team. It's a big tentpole title still missing on the Switch, and can appeal to both core fans and also casual a families with co-op.

I think Pokemon Legends Arceus will have DLC, and that there won't be another title during the holidays. There will be spin offs tho, probably Detective Pikachu 2, a Mistery Dungeon game and I'm gonna guess Pokken Tournament 2. Gen 9 will be holiday 2023.

Also I can't wait to see the next Fire Emblem. I'm loving Three Houses. I think KT did a great job on it, and while it definitely could've looked better, I don't think it looks as bad as people say, and exploration is incredible. With more time now, having TH as a foundation, and probably more IS staff, I think that one will be a huge step up. Let's remember Awakening where the characters didn't have feet, and not only they did in Fates but it also looked better.

While i'm still treating the whole BOTW2 in 2023 idea as a possibility, not a fact, if it happens it should be similar to last year's scenario. Aonuma appears on the February Direct, announces the delay, apologizes and then reveals the trailer for WW/TP with a release date in July. Then at E3 we would possibly get a more meaningful BOTW2 trailer with a large Treehouse segment.

it'd be a shame if botw gets delayed, because it means that covid is still surprising them

I don't think it's unlikely, but we're looking at a huge turnaround from June 2019 to sometime in 2023

I don't think TP and WW are coming this year. I feel like they would be better positioned as late gen ports. Presumably Breath of the Wild 2 will be the last new 3D Zelda for Switch so ports of TP and WW HD would help tie people as Nintendo transitions to their next system. This presumes that they are even coming to Switch. I know people seeing it as inevitable but we have no real indication or precedent to 100% they are coming to Switch. All we have are some Tweets by random people on Twitter, one of which works for Eurogamer but they said the ports were coming last year which was obviously wrong so they aren't credible on this specific topic. We actually have more evidence for Breath of the Wild 2 coming this year than we do TP and WW coming to Switch ever.

I think BOTW will make it this year. No one knows for sure, Nate and MVG are simply making educated assumptions/predictions, but I believe it will release November 11th, 2022.

I don't think TP and WW are coming this year. I feel like they would be better positioned as late gen ports. Presumably Breath of the Wild 2 will be the last new 3D Zelda for Switch so ports of TP and WW HD would help tie people as Nintendo transitions to their next system. This presumes that they are even coming to Switch. I know people seeing it as inevitable but we have no real indication or precedent to 100% they are coming to Switch. All we have are some Tweets by random people on Twitter, one of which works for Eurogamer but they said the ports were coming last year which was obviously wrong so they aren't credible on this specific topic. We actually have more evidence for Breath of the Wild 2 coming this year than we do TP and WW coming to Switch ever.
Totally agree. They may not exist. They may also be 100% finished and ready to go. That doesn’t mean Nintendo will release them this year, next year, or ever.

If they do, it’ll be when they need them. honestly with Skyward last year and 2B2W this year or next, they probably don’t need any more 3D Zelda games right now. It’s overwhelming and may hurt overall sales.

Nintendo Direct - February 9th (Xenoblade 3, Splatoon 3, Fire Emblem)
Indie Direct - March 17th
Splatoon 3 Direct - March 31st

I think BOTW will make it this year. No one knows for sure, Nate and MVG are simply making educated assumptions/predictions, but I believe it will release November 11th, 2022.
Despite them being on different consoles, will Nintendo want to release their big open-world juggernaut on the same day as Microsoft/Bethesda's big open-world juggernaut in Starfield? I really doubt it tbh.

Despite them being on different consoles, will Nintendo want to release their big open-world juggernaut on the same day as Microsoft/Bethesda's big open-world juggernaut in Starfield? I really doubt it tbh.
I can see it both ways - I can picture them going “I mean we may as well move it a week” but also I can see them completely not giving a shit if they’re super confident in the game

Just because a game releases 6 years apart from its previous title, it doesn’t mean it took 6 years to develop. Obviously COVID is a thing, but Odyssey was mostly finished by early 2017, but was held for holiday for strategic reasons.

I would like to propose a new feature for this site that allows me to automatically block all Team February members. They simply can't be trusted. 😤 The following spoiler is only for Team January members to look at. If I find out that any of you Team February people, or even worse the Team March gang, looked at it, I will be ever so mildly irritated. 😠

Am I an insider? No. Do I have any connections at all? No. Is there any reason to trust me? Yes, because like you, I am Team January. Do not listen to these February folks worried how Breath of the Wild 2 will fit into the holiday schedule. How Nintendo will push it to 2023 because of Mario, or to coincide with the launch of new hardware. Breath of the Wild 2 is a summer 2022 game. The release date will be revealed in the January Direct, the blowout will happen in June, and the release will be at the end of July or early August. Be not afraid of the knowledge and wisdom I give you. You no longer have to live in willful ignorance. See through the lies of the proposed release date calendars and open you mind to the truth. #TeamJanuary

Also, Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD would definitely not be bundled together. I'm not sure if this is a thing people are still proposing, but I saw it mentioned a lot last year just because of Mario 3D All-Stars. Just because it was done before, that doesn't mean Nintendo has to do that for other games. Also, I have always believed that Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD would be saved for the end of the Switch's life to fill in gaps while Nintendo focuses on developing software for their next console. They're guaranteed to sell decently well no matter when they're released, and they're projects that Nintendo can have a relatively small team or another company work on porting without much oversight as the only big changes will be making the Wii U features into something suited for the Switch.

The Legend of Zelda: The Fellowship of The Sky
The Legend of Zelda: The Fifteen Towers
The Legend of Zelda: Return of the King of Thieves

Btw dont leak this outside of here but a new Tingle game in development supposed to blow BOTW2 out of water.

Out of curiosity, I know "room to breathe" and all that jazz but seriously, does anyone else think it's possible that we have BotW2 in November and whatever Mario game will coincide with the movie in December?

Out of curiosity, I know "room to breathe" and all that jazz but seriously, does anyone else think it's possible that we have BotW2 in November and whatever Mario game will coincide with the movie in December?
Yep, I do, and I think in that situation it will be a 2D Mario.

A nice parallel to what will be 9 years prior when we got a 2D Zelda and 3D Mario on the same day.

I doubt Nintendo cares, honestly. They release the Origami King the same day as Ghost of Tsushima.

And I'll bet BOTW2 will be better received and more polished than a Bethesda game.

Breath of the Wild launched around the same time as Horizon Zero Dawn and that didn't change anything either.

Bethesda and Nintendo:

VJjuNxd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom