• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Nintendo Direct announced for September 13th (7 AM PT, 10 AM ET, 3 PM BST, 4 PM CEST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most puzzling thing has to be the Switch sports delay. The added multiplayer features isn't nothing but still, wow is it taking a while to get a pretty straightforward port of Wii Sports golf.

I mean, the Switch's most popular game is getting regular content drops that are available through the expansion pack, including this winter. Maybe that's doing enough to sell the EP.
I can see this, that would be the reason they announced two courses for the third wave even if it is months ahead. Even so, I hope they will announce at least GBC this year.

Okay so looking back at everything.

It was not a bad direct. We got fire emblem, a new Pikmin, Octopath 2, a new BoTW teaser with date and title. Also a new Allier game, which is a loved series despite not being huge like more mainstream series, and Kirby remake.

The issue was that it was too long, so the padding with all the farming stuff and trailers for Square Enix games we already saw a dozen times already kinda ruined the pace.

They should have done a 20 minute simple direct.

I can see this, that would be the reason they announced two courses for the third wave even if it is months ahead. Even so, I hope they will announce at least GBC this year.
Sadly I think NSO overall will continue to underwhelm, especially for those of us who really want a wider selection of retro games. This subscription is going to be carried forward through future systems, so Nintendo will go slow with it.

Not a bad direct IMO, Pikmin 4 and Zelda were great announcements, FE I'm a bit mixed on right now but it was good announcement. The DLC announcements were also all great for me (XC3, N64, Mario Kart, Switch Sports). I honestly just wish we got Metroid Remake or WW/TP.

So which of the following do we think will happen in early 2023:

1) A Switch Pro reveal highlighting the specs, followed by a traditional Feburary Direct
2) An all-in-one showcase that highlights the hardware and immediately blows the lid off some games like TotK, Prime Remake/4, etc.?
I got my sights set on a traditional direct in January/February first, but with YouTube offering an option to watch the stream in 4K60 with absolutely no other contextual clues, followed by an announcement of new Switch in March and release in May

Because they also wanted to show the other 25 minutes or so (some of which I also think are exciting, like Fatal Frame, Ib, Raincode...).

Yeah. As much as I would've loved to see Metroid Prime Remaster HD and more Zelda stuff today, that doesn't change what was shown. Definitely a lot of it wasn't for me personally, but the stuff that was is very exciting tbh.
The fact we saw for farming games

Rune Factory 3
New Rune Factory
Harvestella
Fae Farm
Story of Seasons A Wonderful Life

And that's on top of seeing Doraemon Story of Seasons 2 in the June direct, these farming games must be doing very well on the Switch. Not blowing up the charts like Splatoon 3 or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, but they're clearly selling well enough to have opened the flood gates like this. I wouldn't be surprised if the 30+ million who bought Animal Crossing are looking for other life sims to scratch that itch and this farming game flood is the end result.

coobers rn:

header.jpg

If by erratic you mean "there's demand for these games and publishers of these games are willing to pay Nintendo to promote them" then yes, sure.

I'm actually asking what I'm about to ask in earnest: Is there? I know Stardew Valley is a major hit, but I have no idea how the modern Story of Seasons games sold on Switch. I buy that there's demand for the established farming RPGs, but something like Fae Farming doesn't look like a hit in the making to me.

Tbf it was a Direct where you could very much tell that the software focus is no longer the Switch, but whatever's next.

Symbolized most succinctly in the omen of every Nintendo system's twilight, the late-stage Kirby games.
So again if we reach Feb Direct and they announce the software people want is this gonna change?

Rune Factory 3
New Rune Factory
Harvestella
Fae Farm

And that's on top of seeing Doraemon Story of Seasons 2 in the June direct, these farming games must be doing very well on the Switch. Not blowing up the charts like Splatoon 3 or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, but they're clearly selling well enough to have opened the flood gates like this. I wouldn't be surprised if the 30+ million who bought Animal Crossing are looking for other life sims to scratch that itch and this farming game flood is the end result.
Yeah, that's a good read on the situation. Although I do wonder if they undercut each other somewhat. Farming/life simulators tend to be pretty time-consuming and I have a hard time imagining even hardcore fans of the genre playing too many of them simultaneously. It'd be interesting to see sales data on these releases maybe a year down the road.

Tbf it was a Direct where you could very much tell that the software focus is no longer the Switch, but whatever's next.

Symbolized most succinctly in the omen of every Nintendo system's twilight, the late-stage Kirby games.
People said this last year and it wasn't even remotely true lol.

...really? I didn't get that vibe at all. Hell, there's already 3 major 1st party games announced for 2023. That doesn't strike me as shifting focus away from Switch at ALL.

Rune Factory 3
New Rune Factory
Harvestella
Fae Farm

Aside from JRPGs, farming games is a genre that has seen a lot of success on Switch pretty much since Stardew Valley. Hell, even the recent mediocre entries in both Story of Seasons and Rune Factory have done way better than they deserve.

coobers rn:

header.jpg
It looks gorgeous but when I saw that pocketwatch I had fear strike my heart that this wasn't about to be the real-time strategy game we want/expect and gonna be some bizarre Hey Pikmin 2D platforming pseudo-sequel nonsense.

who hurt you
You did with your GC slander. This is the consequences of your actions

Nah it's not that serious. I actually think the idea of a side scrolling Pikmin game heavily inspired by Lemmings would be a great spin off for the Pikmin franchise. Hey Pikmin being another Arzest disappoint was very frustrating cause now Nintendo is probably never going back to that idea or 2D Pikmin.

So Nintendo low key hinted at Metroid Prime’s existence themselves with that Metroid icon and a 1 underneath shown during the direct, didn’t they? “Yeah, it’s coming… but not today…”!

I'm actually asking what I'm about to ask in earnest: Is there? I know Stardew Valley is a major hit, but I have no idea how the modern Story of Seasons games sold on Switch. I buy that there's demand for the established farming RPGs, but something like Fae Farming doesn't look like a hit in the making to me.
I think it's important to remember these games will be budgeted in accordance to the size of their audience. If there's a small but enthusiastic audience buying them on Switch, developers will cater to that audience. The Story of Seasons remaster isn't exactly a visual powerhouse, which suggests it's a low budget game. Same for Harvestella - it has a gorgeous art style, but on a technical level the animations are very basic. Companies aren't betting the farm (lol) on these games.

Think of it in Nintendo terms. Nintendo continue to bet on Fire Emblem and Xenoblade even if these games don't sell as strongly as their biggest hits. But they're big enough hits to be worthwhile, and they cater to an enthusiast audience. Switch has reached a point where it's a bunch of audiences with interests that sometimes, but don't always, overlap.

With the absence of WWHD/TPHD in the Direct, I'm guessing it's pretty safe to say that they wont be releasing any time before Tears of the Kingdom comes out? I don't see why they would make them a twitter drop when they could have just put them in the Direct.

Yeah the upgrades thing, we wouldn't know yet of course.

But it's also very silly to argue like them releasing individually is a sure thing
Oh I think you misunderstood me, I'm not saying it's a sure thing that they're individual releases, I'm saying I don't quite understand the prevalent expectation that they'll be packaged together.

Promises Rabbids 2... gets Rabbids 2... is somehow blamed for stuff I never said would be there

The cycle of stupid continues.
Dude you are a leaker who also makes prediction videos, and then get annoyed when a handful of weirdos get upset at you. I would (i) ignore them, or (ii) get out of the leaking business altogether and focus on industry commentary. It seems to bother you too much to keep down this road so why do it?

Still a pretty stupid decision though.
In the remainder of this fiscal year, December and March lack any first-party game. December sometimes gets a small release, and December 2021 was the original target for the game. If Nintendo want to get Advance Wars out this fiscal year because the game is done and dusted and was at one point due at the start of the fiscal year, March is also an option.

Sadly I think NSO overall will continue to underwhelm, especially for those of us who really want a wider selection of retro games. This subscription is going to be carried forward through future systems, so Nintendo will go slow with it.
You probable are right. If you think about it, the GBC and GBA are the only Nintendo consoles which could be added to NSO unless they figure out a way to put DS, considering they want to remaster from GC onwards. If they want to extend it, we may be able to play GBA on 2025.

Yeah, that's a good read on the situation. Although I do wonder if they undercut each other somewhat. Farming/life simulators tend to be pretty time-consuming and I have a hard time imagining even hardcore fans of the genre playing too many of them simultaneously. It'd be interesting to see sales data on these releases maybe a year down the road.
I have to imagine they aren't, and if anything might be having a "raising tide waters all crops" effect so to speak. It's likely similar to the glut of single player jrpgs the console is getting and doing very well with. The fans of these genres are always looking for that next hit, and when they aren't getting a new game they're replaying an old one.

Am I the only one who liked the filler of the direct?
I mean that's how every direct go, 4/5 big announcement and filler for the rest with less important titles.
Who would have thought a direct with bayo 3, pikmin 4 and zelda release date would be considered underwhelming

The lack of any major 2022 announcements definitely opens the door for Everybody's Stinky to make an appearance. Could show up early October or early December.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please check out the most recent staff post on following community rules and guidelines before posting. Thanks!
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom