• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Nintendo Direct announced for September 13th (7 AM PT, 10 AM ET, 3 PM BST, 4 PM CEST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest I think the reactions to the Direct are a bit extreme. We got two solid first party announcements (Fire Emblem and Pikmin), confirmed the release date for Zelda, a remaster in Kirby, and a variety of third party stuff. At the very least it’s an average Direct. The pacing probably needed some work, but for me the announcements are what matters. I always expect there to be stuff I don’t care about, and that’s fine. Do people really think it’s worse than E3 2015? E3 2015?????

I get the response over the lack of Metroid/Zelda remasters, but at the end of the day they are just old games. I’d rather have a new game like Pikmin 4 or FE over an old game like Wind Waker. Especially since when a Direct is full of ports people complain about that.

And the lineup doesn’t feel like a system on its “last legs” at all. They are releasing Fire Emblem in January, and Zelda in freaking May. That’s usually the most barren month, Nintendo hasn’t had a major May game since Splatoon 1 in 2015. The lineup for 2023 already looks promising, why do people think the Switch is dead?

Lastly the whining about insiders is getting tiresome. They got Fire Emblem completely right, not to mention the actual date of the Direct. People shouldn’t expect every rumor to come true at once.
I dont think anyone here is whining about them though, most here are sticking up for them. This place knows better than some other forums.

We know GB/C was at least tested and potentially even finished last year; we know GBA was tested. Both systems provide Nintendo with dozens of games that are easy to access and in some cases, they provide great options for online multiplayer (Nintendo's racing games on GBA, the Pokemon games across the GameBoy system with online trading and transfer pak functionality to the N64). I don't think we'll have to wait that long because I do think the whole GameBoy family will come at once; plus, assuming it comes to Expansion Pack, that gives Nintendo the revenue to push a little more on the licensing side of things and so third party games and Pokemon comes into the fray.
Let's hope it won't take a lot of time then. I wouldn't rule out October yet, who knows.

You have the right to do whatever you want. I'm saying you spend a good amount of time on here and twitter complaining about the stupidity of those who hang on your every word and attack you when they think you misled them. My suggestion was (i) ignore them, because saying anything online will generate negativity and it's a small minority so why give it oxygen, or (ii) stop leaking altogether and get into straight up commentary, and your leaking/predicting won't be so easily confused.
I’m pretty sure you are the one spreading the negativity. If you are annoyed by the posts Nate makes then just ignore it, the majority of fami enjoys his interactions and the content he puts out.

Its 2025: We got Samus Returns, Dread, the Prime Remakester, Metroid PRinball, and Prime 4 still havent showed up.

Its common for Takahashi to start with ''a few years earlier we talked about Metroid Prime 4 and how well its development is progressing in our subsidiary Retro Studios in Austin, Texas. (who kept hiring and is now at 400 people), we understand fans and others have been waiting for a long time but we ask just a little more of patience. But for today we'd like to introduce something else in the Metroid franchise, please take a look''

sorry famiboards... as a Pikmin and BotW stan.... getting both of these games next year made my day and I consider it one of my favorite combo of announcements in one single direct. Great times. Great times indeed.

Miyamoto showing us where he walks in a day is actually exactly the sort of thing I'd like in a Nintendo Direct
ngl... it just felt good to see him again talking about his life style and about games in general... we don't see that side of him very much nowadays.

I don't have the right to express a thought about the stupidity of those whom lack basic comprehension skills?

I didn't say it bothered me. I said it was stupid.
Remember that even if those idiots are the loudest, they don’t really represent your audience. 90% or more are enjoying your content for sure, but the rest is the one that comes to you to whine.

I think Prime 4 was internally delayed* and Nintendo wanted to release the remaster X amount of time before Prime 4 so the remaster got pushed back as well.

*I said “internally delayed” not “restarted”, don’t get the wrong idea.

sorry famiboards... as a Pikmin and BotW stan.... getting both of these games next year made my day and I consider it one of my favorite combo of announcements in one single direct. Great times. Great times indeed.
Very happy for you!
I think Directs are best when they feature a broad range of content which this one didn’t, but there were some highlights of course.

Miyamoto showing us where he walks in a day is actually exactly the sort of thing I'd like in a Nintendo Direct
When he appeared and started talking about the Super Pratt Movie and Super Pratt World I figured we'd get a trailer or something about the parks. Did NOT expect Pikmin 4 announcement and walking habits. (y)

Wait I thought Hard Drive only did satire...
While it's fun to meme "oops all farming sims", when you look below the surface a game like Harvestella and a game like Story of Seasons A Wonderful Life are very different games that just happen to have farming as a major mechanic.

The think that puzzle me is that in the holiday slot there is only Pokemon, and if I rember well Pokemon is almost never alne
September 9th: Splatoon 3 from EPD launches, becomes Japan's fastest-selling game and has presumably cleared 5 million internationally with no trouble in the opening weekend
October 20th: Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope launches from Ubisoft Milan, sequel to a game that sold 7 million plus (exact figures hard to find), starring Nintendo's world famous mascot
November 18th: Pokemon Scarlet and Violet from Game Freak launch, and sell 20 million copies with ease

That's Nintendo's holiday line-up and it matches the cadence we've seen in other years; they tend to start with bigger titles in September and October in the lead up to Pokemon in November. There's Bayonetta 3 in there, too, as a smaller release, and Fire Emblem and Kirby in January and February. They've got a bunch of Square Enix games, including console exclusives and an outright exclusive in Dragon Quest Treasures coming in the same period.

Look at 2021:

September: WarioWare (small game)
October: Metroid Dread (enthusiast crowd) and Mario Party (Mario spin-off)
November: Pokemon
December: Big Brain Academy (small game)

Right now the only thing I think is 'missing' is something from EPD 4 - perhaps produced rather than developed. We know the 1-2 Switch sequel didn't go to plan, so perhaps that was meant to be here and is missing.

Everyone: It's Metroid 20th anniversary this November so they will for sure talk about it and release Prime Remaster in November

Miyamoto: It's been over 20 years since the first Pikmin game.
They were about a month late on GoldenEye's 25th anniversary. does quick math. Hmm, if it weren't delusional to expect Nintendo announcements at TGA, Prime could be a TGA announcement.

Now the real question is; Will Jeff Grubb look like Lex Luthor when he shaves his head and beard for getting the Metroid Prime 2022 release wrong? :p

September 9th: Splatoon 3 from EPD launches, becomes Japan's fastest-selling game and has presumably cleared 5 million internationally with no trouble in the opening weekend
October 20th: Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope launches from Ubisoft Milan, sequel to a game that sold 7 million plus (exact figures hard to find), starring Nintendo's world famous mascot
November 18th: Pokemon Scarlet and Violet from Game Freak launch, and sell 20 million copies with ease

That's Nintendo's holiday line-up and it matches the cadence we've seen in other years; they tend to start with bigger titles in September and October in the lead up to Pokemon in November. There's Bayonetta 3 in there, too, as a smaller release, and Fire Emblem and Kirby in January and February. They've got a bunch of Square Enix games, including console exclusives and an outright exclusive in Dragon Quest Treasures coming in the same period.

Look at 2021:

September: WarioWare (small game)
October: Metroid Dread (enthusiast crowd) and Mario Party (Mario spin-off)
November: Pokemon
December: Big Brain Academy (small game)

Right now the only thing I think is 'missing' is something from EPD 4 - perhaps produced rather than developed. We know the 1-2 Switch sequel didn't go to plan, so perhaps that was meant to be here and is missing.
That comparison hurts to remember lol

I'd really hate to bug you about this but do you think mainline pokemon (specifically gen 1 and 2) coming to NSO and getting connectivity with Stadium 1 and 2 is still a possibility? I was so excited when both Stadium games were shown but was immediately deflated upon seeing the no transferring disclaimer. Kinda dampened my day a bit tbh so I'm curious on your thoughts

He casually announced a new Mario game in it tho, he said "I occasionally go to Tokyo as well". Because he is travelling to EPD Tokyo to see progress on new mainline Mario game.

Very happy for you!
I think Directs are best when they feature a broad range of content which this one didn’t, but there were some highlights of course.
Yeah, as much as I like the announcements, I think Directs kind of suck now, at least for me. The audience is "people who own Nintendo Switch" rather than "Nintendo fans." I much prefer older Directs with slower pacing and more meaningful looks at fewer games.

When I saw Miyamoto I thought he was about to announce a new Mario game.
Absolutely. I live posted the same thing. It all felt like a big fake out and indeed it was.

Either way, I'm just glad it was something memorable. Pikmin definitely deserved that moment. And the extended Bloom segment beforehand... it was brilliant!

I know it's a meme but if nothing else this Direct means that the February Direct will be fucking insane
I wouldn't go that far at all. This September's announcements are almost in lock with what Nintendo wanted to show last year: games to round out the fiscal year and a handful of things farther off. I know you were a big fan of last September, but the fact is it was light on new stuff from Nintendo, with Kirby the only brand new announcement, and footage for a long announced game (Bayonetta 3). This year was oddly similar (Fire Emblem and Pikmin 4 replacing Kirby and Bayonetta 3, though with the addition of a Zelda title drop and a Kirby remaster).

February 2022 had four new games to flesh out the first half of 2021, with one of those games coming a little later (ultimately brought forward to July). I think the more exciting possibility for 2023 is yes, new hardware, but also the absence right now of a major winter title. Zelda is out in May, Pokemon likely gets a DLC expansion. It's time for one of the Mario teams to step forward and give Pikmin 4 some company in late 2023.

I like how Miyamoto's section was like "oh, I will not be in Direct for a while once again so I will just mention everything I can including Mario Movie, theme park, give promotion to Bloom and drop a Pikmin 4".

I wouldn't go that far at all. This September's announcements are almost in lock with what Nintendo wanted to show last year: games to round out the fiscal year and a handful of things farther off. I know you were a big fan of last September, but the fact is it was light on new stuff from Nintendo, with Kirby the only brand new announcement, and footage for a long announced game (Bayonetta 3). This year was oddly similar (Fire Emblem and Pikmin 4 replacing Kirby and Bayonetta 3, though with the addition of a Zelda title drop and a Kirby remaster).

February 2022 had four new games to flesh out the first half of 2021, with one of those games coming a little later (ultimately brought forward to July). I think the more exciting possibility for 2023 is yes, new hardware, but also the absence right now of a major winter title. Zelda is out in May, Pokemon likely gets a DLC expansion. It's time for one of the Mario teams to step forward and give Pikmin 4 some company in late 2023.
I should have been more clear. This Direct means that February might have Breath of the Wild 2 and Pikmin 4 gameplay

I am firmly on team "deep dives should never be in presentations". This isn't just for directs but for all gaming presentations. Deep dives are for youtube after the show for people who want to go deeper.

6t9f8i.jpg

I know it's a meme but if nothing else this Direct means that the February Direct will be fucking insane
I feel like we also convinced ourselves that would be true of this fall direct because they skipped the main summer one

Real talk though didn't Bayonetta 3 skip the February Direct? Pikmin 4 might vanish until E3 so that February can concentrate on spring/summer; unless Pikmin 4 is a summer game, which would be lovely.

I have to accept that Fire Emblem is not a series for me anymore, I can take a very weird shift in art direction, but I don't mesh well with the premise, and it looks like it will stray further away from just a proper strategy game, between the town footage and the rumors/leaks about over worlds and shit. I'll just stay cozy with my gamecube and do a replay of Path of Radiance. Name is terrible too.

Another chapter in the Suda saga of video games is cool, I'll get Fatal Frame 4.

Fit of the North Star was hilarious, dunno if something I'll get, but it got a laugh out of me.

Front Mission looks interesting.

When I saw the awful amounts of bloom and the lighting style, I knew it was Octopath 2, it seems they are getting closer to making a video game now, thanks to Square inventing intertwining storylines.

Final Fantasy Rhythm 3 is sick, really liked the 3DS games, and it has Torn from the Heavens, so I'm in, hope it has Lyse as a character.

If I were to tell past me that I would be more hyped for a Rabbids strategy game than the new Fire Emblem, I would highly question my life, Spark of Hope looks fantastic, got chills when I assume the boss theme started playing. That and Bayonetta 3 are going to make October top tier.

Pauline in Strikers was expected, and Diddy Kong is back! should have been in the base roster but better late than never I guess

Atelier is another series that I sadly have to let go, don't have as much of a time history with it, but is disappointing how standard it has become coming off the super unique timer games.

Mario Kart and Switch Sports updates are cool. Kind of sucks that Golf gets delayed and is a bunch of old courses.

PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKKKKKKKKKKKMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN 4 FINALLY. Hope it has a timer element, and is more tight like 1.

I still have to finish Rune Factory 5.

I like Danganronpa 2, I also don't like a lot of it, UDG only has 2 good characters, don't like Dangan 1, never played V3, the 3 anime only the parts with the cast from 2 were good (except Nagito but whatever), so Raincode is very mixed on me, it will probably have a pretty good mystery with an awfully obnoxious cast.

Resident Evil.....Cloud, truly the scariest moment in the franchise.

Radiant Silvergun, epic shadow drop.

Tales of Symphonia "Remastered" tho it will be based on the worse version of the game from the footage so idk if Remastered is a good term for it.

Switch getting a peak Kirby game, it will be fun having both Star Allies and Return to Dreamland on the same system.

2 more seconds of Zelda footage, is a day 1 game for me, but idk, would have liked a proper trailer.

It was an ok direct. I don't hate weeb shit, just that most of the current ones don't look particularly good. The positive aspect of Square releasing like 30 games now is that I'll be interested in at least 2 or 3, as opposed to nothing. From the farming sim explosion, only found the Story of Seasons remaster interesting, will try out the Harvestella demo.

Pikmin 4 and Theathrythm were great, the rest that I'm excited about is older games.

Tell me about SIFU please? Is it a good game? I love martial arts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please check out the most recent staff post on following community rules and guidelines before posting. Thanks!
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom