• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    šŸš§ We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. šŸš§

News Nintendo Direct announced for September 13th (7 AM PT, 10 AM ET, 3 PM BST, 4 PM CEST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, Kit/Krysta said that there is one person at Nintendo who is solely in charge for selecting which games that should appear in a Direct, and the decision making would seem easier if the sales potential (such as reviews on previous platforms or sales data for earlier games in the series) are used? (Embracer announced that the first Spongebob game sold more than 2 million copies on all platforms less than a year after its release.)

directs have changed so much in recent years that I honestly doubt this to still be the case

Miyamoto segment aside (i didnt need to be reminded that Pikmin Bloom exista) i think It was an amazing Direct.

A bit lacking compared to other September directs, but i enjoyed every announcement and got genuinely hyped for certain games. Particularly enjoyed the N64 blowout (including the 007 reveal) and the all the farming games.

We're in for an amazing 2023.

I think the idea that Metroid is ā€œtoo bigā€ for a Twitter drop is pretty funny.

Can I just confirm the Fist of the North Star fitness boxing game was a real thing they announced yesterday? Was telling my partner last night and I wondered if I'd imagined it. I'm kind of excited for it, not gonna lie, especially if it opens the gates for more licensed fitness games (I was always sad we didn't get DLC updates for Ring Fit with tie-in cosmetics to make the player and/or enemies look like things from other games).

I canā€™t get over how amazing TotKā€™s box art is. I rarely care about these things, but this is one of the best box arts Iā€™ve ever seen.

I wouldn't get caught up on Nintendo not having their 'own' games out the next few months, though I agree the first half of 2023 looks a little odd. They've just launched a major internal game, and while Ubisoft do the heavy lifting on Sparks of Hope, it's a Mario game - it doesn't exist without Nintendo's say so and it has the October slot that's almost always been occupied by a Mario series title during the Switch era (Odyssey in 17, Party in 18 and 21, Luigi's Mansion 3 in 19, 3D All Stars in late September 2020). That's too consistent to be anything other than a deliberate strategy and I suspect Nintendo and Ubisoft worked together on the release timing. And again, Bayonetta 3 doesn't happen without Nintendo; Sega's IP ownership is immaterial when Nintendo fund and produce the game. Same deal for Pokemon, where Nintendo co-own the IP. It shouldn't surprise us that, as games development gets more complex, Nintendo's release schedule and development arrangements reflect that. Relatively few holiday seasons have leant on major internal titles from Nintendo on Switch - usually Game Freak and other affiliates and subsidiaries do the heavy lifting at that time of year.

Finally, while I think the year's line up is really strong, this year actually has the second lowest number of first party releases on Switch; only 2017 had fewer. Some of that is down to there (so far) only being one eShop release, but the year isn't really "full" the way other years have been. Like 2017, it's been consistent, varied, and well-paced; like 2019, it's pleasing to have a lot of brand new software without ports filling the schedule. I'd also say Fire Emblem, Kirby and Zelda is a strong start to 2023. Those games are out by mid May, and they're three key franchises, and you can bet Octopath Traveler 2 while multiformat will perform strongly on Switch. Some of the gaps are suspicious - especially March 2023 - but the pacing of key titles into next year seems pretty consistent with the pace they've settled on since late last year.
The tidbit on this being the year with the second fewest first party releases is interesting if that's the case. Maybe the fact that I've barely put my Switch down all year has blinded me somewhat, because for me it's been an incredible 12 month period on the system.

By the way I'm not saying that I think Nintendo's strategy this year is a bad one, and I agree on your points regarding Mario + Rabbids and Bayonetta, I was just remarking that it's unusual to have so few Nintendo first party games during the period which is usually their peak time for sales. I'm kinda excluding Pokemon as by and large TPC and GameFreak just do their own thing and Nintendo work around them, but I find it interesting that for this holiday period Nintendo are relying so heavily on external partners such as Platinum and Ubisoft. There's going to be an almost half year gap from Splatoon 3 to Fire Emblem Engage. That's a long period for there to be no game releases from Nintendo's internal teams.

As you said, it's a deliberate strategy on their part, reflective of the changing realities Nintendo are facing and they clearly feel they don't need anything else out this year. I just find the situation curious and it's making me wonder what they have in store for the future, or indeed what they may be waiting for...

I appreciate the Miyamoto segment.

It continues to show that you cannot say no to him.

So download and play Pikmin Bloom you scrubs.
I was considering it but it looks like it doesn't even give out platinum points? Why run down my phone's battery if I'm not even gonna get imaginary currency to buy Switch icons. I'll just imagine that there are Pikmin hanging around all the urban decay when I go for my walks.

Btw it's so strange to me that metroid prime re is not releasing this november if it actually exists.
It felt like the perfect time for it to release alongside pokemon for that black friday push.

It's now been 24 hours since the Direct, so we will be locking this thread. We kindly ask you to redirect discussion to the various announcement threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please check out the most recent staff post on following community rules and guidelines before posting. Thanks!
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom