• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Nintendo Direct announced for September 13th (7 AM PT, 10 AM ET, 3 PM BST, 4 PM CEST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reffering to that Nintendo could easily slip their November game into "twitter drop" you never really know, it would be weird as it could have been in the Direct but you never know. I know the comparison is different tho since EPD4 games tend to not be revealed in a Directs.

Oh, and Stinky Horse is 30 million units at the lowest

Question now is ... does Nintendo feel they need or want to have a November release? Or at least a "bigger" one?

I feel Pokemon has that month in it's hands. Maybe they just have a smaller game?

Actually, it could be a good month for Advance Wars. Have a "out end of the week" or "tomorrow" or similar tweet, drop it silently while Pokemon and God of War dominate the news.

In terms of possible shadowdrop reveals for the rest of the year I could imagine Everybody's 1-2-Switch and Advance Wars being likely candidates, for reasons I elaborated on earlier. Low expectation titles that don't particularly benefit from a direct spotlight.

The evil thought about Prime i've had since the Direct is that maybe they looked at those false rumors from 2018 and go "hey, maybe they had the right idea!" and throw Geoff a bone for TGA.

The NSO apps have helped me recognise that they've always had fire box arts, we just missed out on a lot of them. Even just comparing the N64 boxes from the Direct shows a small sample case of that.

unknown.png
unknown.png
Sheer psychic damage realizing we won't get HM snes or n64 likely due to Natsume owning the rights to the name 😭

Sheer psychic damage realizing we won't get HM snes or n64 likely due to Natsume owning the rights to the name 😭
I'd like to think they work something out eventually; we did get multiple Harvest Moon titles including the original and 64 on Wii U VC; it just might take awhile for Marvelous and Natsume to come to an agreement.

I'm assuming we're all in agreement that the reason Nintendo only showed 3 N64 games in NSO for 2022 is because GoldenEye is the September game - and thus one a month for Oct-Dec allocates the 3.

However, are we in agreement that the reason Nintendo only showed 5 N64 games in NSO for 2023 is because GameCube is released in May on Drake. Right? Right?!

I'm assuming we're all in agreement that the reason Nintendo only showed 3 N64 games in NSO for 2022 is because GoldenEye is the September game - and thus one a month for Oct-Dec allocates the 3.

However, are we in agreement that the reason Nintendo only showed 5 N64 games in NSO for 2023 is because GameCube is released in May on Drake. Right? Right?!
They showed 6 in the Japanese direct, so that theory is about as dead as Natsume's Zombie Harvest Moon franchise.

My line of thinking right now is that Metroid Prime Remake might slot into the March slot.
I agree. March is too conveniently open right now. Remember the year they announced Bayonetta 1+2 at the Game Awards in 2017 for a release in February 2018. I think Nintendo will do that this year for Metroid Prime.

But the question is will we see a teaser for Prime 4 too? I feel like they’d want to have a teaser. Same setup for Bayonetta 3 at Game Awards.

I agree with what someone said. I think Prime Remaster will be announced at the Game Awards and release in March.
We've been hearing those exact words since 2018, apart form the fact Geoff's events are lowering the quality of their announcements every year. I do believe Jeff Grubb and there is still enough time for a Twitter drop.

We've been hearing those exact words since 2018, apart form the fact Geoff's events are lowering the quality of their announcements every year. I do believe Jeff Grubb and there is still enough time for a Twitter drop.
Why would you not announce a big holiday game in the direct? Metroid Prime is a big deal. How is that a twitter drop?

The quirky games get announced on Twitter and games during Covid.

I genuinely can't think of a reason as to why prime remake would get a twitter announcement for this year instead of getting announced at the direct.
Right now I just think it's going to be a March release if not even later like an April or july release

So did Grubb comment about Metroid Prime’s absence in this direct?

A question for Nate - Could it be that you or any of your sources misinterpreted Marth’s appareance in Fire Emblem Engage as a remake of the Genealogy of the Holy War?

So I heard that the Jeff claiming TPHD and WWHD being in this direct was from a new source that he shouldn't have trusted, but what about MP1HD? Do we know if that has been corroberated by long time sources/other insiders, particularly about it being this winter? I haven't kept up with all this, sorry. Fun direct nevertheless.
Jeff seemed very confused why it wasn’t in the direct as he seems to trust his source where he was told it’s their holiday title. And that’s not him doubling down on that, he just seemed confused.

Also, fwiw, Mike his cohost and Jeff were both incredibly sorry and apologetic about WW and TP. Mike even admitted it was more him than Jeff, but a source they had reason to trust gave them the timeframe of direct, name of BOTW would be revealed and TP/WW HD so they ran with that. Jeff wouldn’t let mike only take the blame and says he takes responsibility for things he says and was right there taking an L with Mike.

I obviously don’t know them personally but following their podcasts for years they both are good dudes

A question for Nate - Could it be that you or any of your sources misinterpreted Marth’s appareance in Fire Emblem Engage as a remake of the Genealogy of the Holy War?

Since when is Marth appearing in Holy War (or Thracia to be complete)?

@NateDrake
Could it be possible, that Nintendo releases WW/TP via a Special Direct just like back for Mario? Or even an Twitter announcement? Would Twitter be enough for a Zelda release?

I mean they are only ports not like SS which was enhanced etc.

Maybe the same is applicable for Metroid Prime?

Anyway Nate thanks for all your effort!!

The next direct is probably in February, unless we get a special presentation for the new hardware in January, i guess. Which means these are probably all the first-party games that are coming out until April at the earliest, or probably until after TotK is out. To me, personally, last year's lineup til the end of the fiscal year felt better than this one's

Nintendo always has a March game to close the fiscal year.

2017: BOTW
2018: Kirby Star Allies
2019: Yoshi Crafted World
2020: Animal Crossing New Horizons
2021: Monster Hunter Rise
2022: Kirby and the Forgotten Land

If they really had nothing scheduled for March, they would release the Kirby Deluxe remake there instead of February when Octopath 2 already covers it, even if it's not exclusive.

Oh boy we're back to "Nintendo showed the entire lineup until june" like every other year, and just like every years we'll see new games get announced in that time frame at the surprise of no one.
They literally announced switch sports in the February direct for April.
They'll have more games between February and May like they always do.

The N64 lineup looks good although I'm worried about the pacing being pretty boring, like putting all 3 Mario Party's back to back.

Also wish we had gotten some more Rare games sooner like Banjo-Tooie. But I am stoked to play Goldeneye and also curious about Pilotwings since I've never played that one before.

Oh boy we're back to "Nintendo showed the entire lineup until june" like every other year, and just like every years we'll see new games get announced in that time frame at the surprise of no one.
Yeah. This isn’t the full line up lol.

Marth has nothing to do with GotHW though.

If Metroid Prime Remaster 1 is coming out this year, could there be a Metroid Anniversary/Direct presentation of some sort?

You likely mean Sigurd, but I doubt it.
Even the person who leaked the first Engage pics a few months ago confirmed GotHW remake is true and in development.

I think March is just empty right now because Nintendo needs more time to decide.

I can see them having really wanted Zelda to end the FY but the timing just didn't work, so they have to decide on something else. Could be games in their stockpile or maybe they're watching closely on games that are nearing completion to see if they stick the landing.

My opinion on March being empty is that it's Drake launch month, they may not worry too much about launch titles since it will definitely have a lot of BC with the Switch. Obviously that leaves it releasing out of sync with TotK but I imagine Nintendo wants it out this fiscal year

That's because Switch Sports was literally the only first-party game that was announced on that Direct that released in that timeframe lmao. The others were already announced third-party games and, well, Advance Wars...

I wonder if the fairly long trailer for the new Spongebob game was a confirmation that the first Spongebob game was a million seller on Switch?

IIRC, Kit/Krysta said that there is one person at Nintendo who is solely in charge for selecting which games that should appear in a Direct, and the decision making would seem easier if the sales potential (such as reviews on previous platforms or sales data for earlier games in the series) are used? (Embracer announced that the first Spongebob game sold more than 2 million copies on all platforms less than a year after its release.)

Question now is ... does Nintendo feel they need or want to have a November release? Or at least a "bigger" one?

I feel Pokemon has that month in it's hands. Maybe they just have a smaller game?

Actually, it could be a good month for Advance Wars. Have a "out end of the week" or "tomorrow" or similar tweet, drop it silently while Pokemon and God of War dominate the news.
I've been thinking for a while Nintendo could Twitter announce a late November/December date for Advance Wars over the coming weeks and slot it in there. It was originally going to be a December release after all.

I think they're just monitoring the Ukraine situation and as soon as they feel the time is right, they'll find a slot for it during a quiet period.

I wonder if the fairly long trailer for the new Spongebob game was a confirmation that the first Spongebob game was a million seller on Switch?

IIRC, Kit/Krysta said that there is one person at Nintendo who is solely in charge for selecting which games that should appear in a Direct, and the decision making would seem easier if the sales potential (such as reviews on previous platforms or sales data for earlier games in the series) are used? (Embracer announced that the first Spongebob game sold more than 2 million copies on all platforms less than a year after its release.)
Well then that makes it more absurd this person selected 5? farming sims. I didn’t think the direct was awful, but when everything starts looking the same it definitely starts to drag and isn’t beneficial for anyone

If they really had nothing scheduled for March, they would release the Kirby Deluxe remake there instead of February when Octopath 2 already covers it, even if it's not exclusive.
2D Mario :cool:

I do agree, but there still is a blank space in March where they normally release a game each year to help puff up their financials. They can't be waiting until the February Direct to reveal this as it'll be leaving it too late. Hence the speculation on our part as to whether such a game exists, and if it does, what it is and when it'll be revealed.

I do think that, outside of perhaps a sneaky cramming in of Advance Wars, that we now know exactly what we're getting from Nintendo until end of February. But no doubt they'll have something in the pipeline from February until Zelda-time in May. No way they're having a two month gap at this point.

i think you mean sigurd

anyways, the person who leaked the game months ago also stated that a holy war remake was in development so take that as you will

It worked with Pikmin so now it will work too. Everybody's 1-2 Switch is going to be announced this month. Something like September 22nd. Please.

i think you mean sigurd

anyways, the person who leaked the game months ago also stated that a holy war remake was in development so take that as you will

Emily, who basically nailed the entire Fire Emblem Engage announcement, also said there are multiple Fire Emblem projects in progress, so i think Genealogy is also happening, but probably next year EDIT: by "next year" i mean 2024 lmao. My mind is in 2023 already

Even FE could be the March game and Kirby come a little early. I really believe that Nintendo has something save for march, just have no idea what it is.

We’ve seen that Twitter announcements can get just as much traction as a direct, so I don’t think it’s impossible that Nintendo separated Metroid Prime HD in order to give it its own spotlight, rather than getting swallowed up by Zelda.

Yes, I’m coping, how can you tell?

I agree, let's focus on actual Direct discussion.

Regarding the Direct, my favorite announcement was Kirby's Return to Dreamland. I always thought it was one of the more underrated Wii games, and I'm glad to see it finally getting re-released. It looks really good.

The N64 expansion announcements are amazing. But I do hope Diddy Kong Racing gets in there eventually.
Slightly weird trying to pick my favourite announcement - Fire Emblem being January and Zelda being May were both great news, as was Octopath 2 being a thing and a February release. I'd probably say seeing Miyamoto rock up to misleadingly ramble about Pikmin Bloom before showing Pikmin 4 has become my "favourite" announcement. I'm just really glad to know it's finally come together.
Is it just me, or is the boxart of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom one of the prettiest of all-time?

zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-boxart.jpg
It's gorgeous. I'm a huge fan of the logo. Utterly bizarre, but exciting, that we've had this officially announced for over 3 years, we now have a title, cover and release date, and we know... nothing. I can't wait to dig into it.
Ever since the Wii U era, Nintendo has been on fire with their box arts.
I loved the art on the discs, too. Skyward Sword and Last Story on Wii both had gorgeous art on the disc.
Yeah them leaving the March slot empty for now is most intriguing. They do normally like to have a game release then to plump up their financials, and often it's revealed in September. Leaving it to the normal February Direct slot would be too late. So either they're going to Twitter drop something later this year (or maybe even the Game Awards?) or they're genuinely having a quiet March, which would be odd for Nintendo.

It's an odd lineup of games for the next six months actually. Outside of Pokemon, Nintendo are only releasing one other first party game for the next three months in Bayonetta 3 (and even that's complicated thanks to Sega's involvement). You can argue they're treating Mario + Rabbids as their family friendly game, but fact remains it's an Ubisoft game first and foremost. And then after Fire Emblem as their big January game the only slated first party release between then and Zelda is a Kirby port.

I dunno, it definitely feels like Nintendo are confident enough to be holding some games back at this stage. Feels like a sharp contrast to the rest of this year where it's been hit after hit after hit.
I wouldn't get caught up on Nintendo not having their 'own' games out the next few months, though I agree the first half of 2023 looks a little odd. They've just launched a major internal game, and while Ubisoft do the heavy lifting on Sparks of Hope, it's a Mario game - it doesn't exist without Nintendo's say so and it has the October slot that's almost always been occupied by a Mario series title during the Switch era (Odyssey in 17, Party in 18 and 21, Luigi's Mansion 3 in 19, 3D All Stars in late September 2020). That's too consistent to be anything other than a deliberate strategy and I suspect Nintendo and Ubisoft worked together on the release timing. And again, Bayonetta 3 doesn't happen without Nintendo; Sega's IP ownership is immaterial when Nintendo fund and produce the game. Same deal for Pokemon, where Nintendo co-own the IP. It shouldn't surprise us that, as games development gets more complex, Nintendo's release schedule and development arrangements reflect that. Relatively few holiday seasons have leant on major internal titles from Nintendo on Switch - usually Game Freak and other affiliates and subsidiaries do the heavy lifting at that time of year.

Finally, while I think the year's line up is really strong, this year actually has the second lowest number of first party releases on Switch; only 2017 had fewer. Some of that is down to there (so far) only being one eShop release, but the year isn't really "full" the way other years have been. Like 2017, it's been consistent, varied, and well-paced; like 2019, it's pleasing to have a lot of brand new software without ports filling the schedule. I'd also say Fire Emblem, Kirby and Zelda is a strong start to 2023. Those games are out by mid May, and they're three key franchises, and you can bet Octopath Traveler 2 while multiformat will perform strongly on Switch. Some of the gaps are suspicious - especially March 2023 - but the pacing of key titles into next year seems pretty consistent with the pace they've settled on since late last year.

Last edited:
We’ve seen that Twitter announcements can get just as much traction as a direct, so I don’t think it’s impossible that Nintendo separated Metroid Prime HD in order to give it its own spotlight, rather than getting swallowed up by Zelda.

Yes, I’m coping, how can you tell?
Then Zelda should’ve been a twitter drop because it just swallowed up everything announced in the direct.

Thinking about how people used to complain about Square Enix focusing too much on AAA game development and wanted to see more smaller titles and rereleases from them and how much they've been delivering on that. I don't think they anticipated the success of the Switch back in 2014, but their lineup fits the system like a glove, and it's been paying dividends for them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please check out the most recent staff post on following community rules and guidelines before posting. Thanks!
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom