• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Xenoblade 3 |ST| Σ Become One

I know I've brought up the dev team connections from Chrono Trigger through to Xenoblade on multiple occasions but let me just say that
having a sequence where you look around a prison by navigating the air vents and checking the floors below through the grating while an arrogantly theatrical prick prattles on in the other room feels verrrrrrry familiar

Im at the beginning of chapter 7

Finally got to see best girl Nia and also Melia. So many questions after the story behind the start of this world.
The music that plays in Nia's intro scene sounded a bit like Drifting Souls, I wanna hear the full version.
The small fist pump Nia did was funny. It seems like she's trying her best to act like a Queen.

I’m at the beginning of Chapter 6 still, but I’m starting to wonder just how big some new areas will be and what’s left to see at this point, given what I can judge based on the map.

And snowy areas rule.

I am not only disappointed by the combat, but level design seems to be the worst of the whole series for me as well.

I miss a lot the scenaries of the first two, with a clear thematic and identity to them. I understand the story reasons behind it, but the lack of towns (insert BOTW meme here if you like) and the repetitive thematic of the colonies make the game no favours. I really miss the contrast between something like Uraya and Mor Ardain, with two vibes clearly different and unique to them. So far this is looking like your expected desert area/grassy area/snowy area and so on.

Problem is I am not getting the sense of wonder of the other two games, of going inside a Titan and finding a magical looking world with pink trees and impossible looking structures inside there. This looks way more conservative and much more predictable in that way and after 40 hours everything so far is just ok in that department.

I have to agree about Aionios. I understand the story reasons and the worldbuiling forced this, but the continent doesn't feel magical at all.

Bionis/Mechonis and Alrest had that "fairy tail" vibe to them that made them whimsical to explore and discover, Alrest is a devastated world designed to reward exploration by giving players 2 kind of rewards:

1. War supplies
2. Dead bodies

Which is extremely coherent conceptually and mechanically, but also totally not "joyful", which was a key part of my enjoyment of the worlds of Xenoblade.

I dunno how you can look at the way something like the Aetia region all fits together and go “bad level design”, especially compared to XC2.

What was really all that magical or joyful about the actual experience of exploring Alrest? Field skill checks and chests full of common core crystals? Remember how hard Gormott was to navigate? If you’re coming at it from an idea of setting then you can definitely prefer 2 but the map design in 3 is really a cut above and is a far better support for the game’s mechanics, even if those mechanics are “play flute at dead body”.

Will add of course there are great, magical parts of XC2 as well, Leftheria is my favourite but even places like Uraya, Tantal failed to connect on a “Xenoblade” level. Uraya looked nice but it was mostly a linear path to a boring town. Tantal had huge areas of absolutely nothing. Getting to the top of Ribbi Flats and being able to see pretty much the entire Fornis region and everything you experienced over the last 10 hours, that’s magical to me. I know it’s not “you are inside a big fish” but it suits the game wonderfully.

I’m at chapter 5

Preparing for Agnus Castle.

I love the scene where the gang meets a baby and they’re all like “woooow” but Taion being all “OMG LET ME TRY” got a good laugh of me.

Chuckled when the doctor said so you want to learn where babies come from and the gang is like hell yeah

Remember how hard Gormott was to navigate? If you’re coming at it from an idea of setting then you can definitely prefer 2 but the map design in 3 is really a cut above and is a far better support for the game’s mechanics, even if those mechanics are “play flute at dead body”.

How is flute at a dead body better than chest full of common core crystals? Is the same stupid filling Monolith always put in their games and you just care for the first two hours of the game.

Level design in Xenoblade 3 is totally forgetable. They promoted the verticallity of the world and at the end all there is to it is take s big turn around here and activate this shortcut in the form of a perfectly placed mechanical staircase. Which, at the end lose its meaning because you can go faster just teleporting from top place to lower plsce. It's not even natural nor interesting.

And getting to a new area to see again the same skirmishes, the same supply boxes falling from the sky and the same red and golden traces indicating the dead bodies and the chests rewards contributes to the feeling of deja-vu. At least in Xeno 2 you had those towns and cities to take a break and change the pace of the game for which the colonies can't come close. Doesn't help also that the bestiary of Xeno 3, except for the Agnus and Keeves enemies, is the same as the previous three games... Which also contributes big time to the lose of sense of wonder the whole game has for me.

Also, the class system which I already mentioned that I find horrible would be way better if it was solved as a traditional primary-secondary class system, where you would be able to keep your primary class and complement it with attributes and arts from other classes without needing to change your gems, your items, the way you play that character and even your party distribution everytine you want to get a new art or power from a different class. It's such a bad QOL solution that has been solved for so long that it looks to be made different for the sake of being different, even if it is bad.

Last edited:
How is okay flute at a dead body better than chest full of common core crystals? Is the same stupid filling Monolith always put in their games and you just care for the first two hours of the game.

Level design in Xenoblade 3 is totally forgetable. They promoted the verticsllity of the world and at the end all there is to it is take s big turn around here and activate this shortcut in the form of a perfectly placed mechanical staircase. Which, at the end lose its meaning because you can go faster just teleporting from top place to lower plsce. It's not even natural nor interesting.
Alright, I was being reductive lol. Xenoblade 3 has containers, husk affinity gains, supply drops (containers with enemies) and skirmishes and while not exactly scintillating they do a far better job of supporting level exploration vs. (not reductive) chest full of core crystals. If you loved the gacha, field skill and blade affinity chart systems then that’s fair enough but to me, none of them were a good match for actually being in and exploring Alrest.

Anyway, a shame you didn’t connect with the world of 3 but I cannot even begin to look at such a rich, sprawling, tiered and cleverly put together world and think of it as “totally forgettable”.

How is flute at a dead body better than chest full of common core crystals? Is the same stupid filling Monolith always put in their games and you just care for the first two hours of the game.

Level design in Xenoblade 3 is totally forgetable. They promoted the verticallity of the world and at the end all there is to it is take s big turn around here and activate this shortcut in the form of a perfectly placed mechanical staircase. Which, at the end lose its meaning because you can go faster just teleporting from top place to lower plsce. It's not even natural nor interesting.

And getting to a new area to see again the same skirmishes, the same supply boxes falling from the sky and the same red and golden traces indicating the dead bodies and the chests rewards contributes to the feeling of deja-vu. At least in Xeno 2 you had those towns and cities to take a break and change the pace of the game for which the colonies can't come close. Doesn't help also that the bestiary of Xeno 3, except for the Agnus and Keeves enemies, is the same as the previous three games... Which also contributes big time to the lose of sense of wonder the whole game has for me.

Also, the class system which I already mentioned that I find horrible would be way better if it was solved as a traditional primary-secondary class system, where you would be able to keep your primary class and complement it with attributes and arts from other classes without needing to change your gems, your items, the way you play that character and even your party distribution everytine you want to get a new art or power from a different class. It's such a bad QOL solution that has been solved for so long that it looks to be made different for the sake of being different, even if it is bad.
I would not say that the level design of Aionios is worse than Alrest or Bionis/Mechonis, it's just functionally different. In specific, the difference is the driver that nudges our sense of discovery. In both XC2 and XC1, the bait is the progress of the main story itself which is linear and also easier to control. In XC3 the driver is no longer linear: we explore Aionios to find colonies enslaved by the Moebius and liberate them, but many are 100% optional. In addition Aionis is several times larger than the other worlds, so perhaps navigating around can feel intimidating sometimes (and it becomes especially intimidating from Chapter 5 onward if one has not played the previous games and saw how the map are unlocked via landmarks). I recognized this difference as soon as Chapter 3 hits so it was not a big trouble for me to adjust my expectation and enjoy exploring Aonios for what it is rather than what it could have been. Personally, I find Aionios' design philosophy much more inline with contemporary open world games, so perhaps folks who played XCX can chime in and offer some comparisons.

Besides, I'd say that the level design of Aionios itself is still charming even without taking its functional aspects into account. In a continents, there are narrow paths which split into branches. We go along as the story progresses, but the other leads to oblivion. In another, the points of interest where the story progresses account for may be 10% of the explorable landmarks and the other is uncharted waters. There is also a fair amount of new areas that can be accessed by backtracking, in which new colonies and heroes await.

On Chapter 4, and finally this plays like a Xenoblade game which I'm happy with. Exploration feels nice and quests are meatier, even if collectopedia cards are kinda trash since you're never sure where to find the materials for them and the game doesn't tell you.

Still not sure about the story. So far the twists are predictable, with
Jonah being short fat council and N clearly being Noah. I also don't quite like how this war-tord world has the softest army commanders you've ever seen. I thought colonies would be straight-up enemy bases, but instead you've got the kindest souls with a few racist followers who learn not to be racist after you help them kill some squirrels.

Also, personal pet peeve, but maybe if you've seen something weird you can just TALK to your friends instead of being moody?

The part of the story that actually gripped me was
The Queen threatening to destroy Colony 4 with a meganuke. I'm right there right now and that's the first time I feel like the story has any stakes, because otherwise not like there are any. By this time I know that any colony I show up in will just treat me as a friend in 5 seconds and I've fought more councils than I can count

Well I finally got to the point in Chapter 6 where I can control the party again and all I can think is..

my poor, poor Erista Switch.

There's a good chance I finish the game tomorrow. Only got a couple ascension quests left, and a smattering of normal ones. Early on in the game it really seemed like they pared down the sidequests, but it absolutely exploded in later chapters lol. Looking forward to tackling postgame stuff

There was a nice little bit of extra Hero dialgoue I just heard with Zeon and Eunie in the Chapter 5 location.

Zeon feels like they're being stared at and Eunie tells him the City people probably haven't seen 'people with wings before' and that they're the weird ones. Interestingly neither of them use High Entia, might be connected to later plot details?

I'm still in Chapter 6 but can't help myself ...
wut?? now we have a whole city deep below the surface where people continue their operation against the Moebius. The only missing thing is a spacious geofront and some hidden artifacts with severely restricted access lol.

I’m ready liking a lot of the beats from arriving at the city so far. The crew’s reaction to seeing a baby for the first time, Sena holding Eunie’s hands when she sees that she’s shaking, it’s a focus on the interpersonal, humane moments that resonate the most with me when it comes to media these days.

Also, as an Aussie, I have to say Monica looking like she does but speaking like a complete bogan is wild. Is this how British people feel playing these games?

Last edited:
All I do in chapter 6 is ascension quests. Gonna be here for a while lol.

I'm really happily surprised at Erythra Sea. There is just so many to discover here, and so much beautiful sights to see.

I still have nightmares of trying to navigate Gormott, Uraya, and Tantal.

You can argue that 2’s got the better visual flair (hell, I’d probably agree) but 3 runs circles around 2 in terms of pure level design.

Exploring in 3 is miles better than in 2, not very close either IMO. Running up some impossible to navigate mountain/tree while aggroing 17 monsters only to be met by a field skill check I can't pass and coming back later to find a chest with some blade cores in it and nothing else made me wary to ever stray too far from the story path.

It's Press A at random point on the map, like opening any chest.
and you're not getting anything from it. you don't even need to do it. there's no quest. there's no reward. there's just your characters and their duty to the dead. and you find them, you climb mountains, make your way past dangerous monsters, just to see them off.

chest who?

edit: ruining my perfect 360° no-scope slam-dunk of a post by adding that I forgot you get colony affinity for it lol

Last edited:
Interesting talk now is about level/world design because that’s what I want to talk about too! While the lack of distinctive area themes is a bummer, midway through chapter 6 I’ve really been again impressed by the world here. I thought the Fornis region was going to be the excellent masterclass anomaly after the world narrowed again, but exploring the sea and seeing chapter 6’s area I’ve been blown away again. The sea offers quintessential Xenoblade experiences with the islands and their twisty terrain and in both the sea and chapter 6’s area I was blown away by the scale and spectacular views. For chapter 6’s area looking down and seeing how it connected around itself was incredible.

I’m 75 hours in now. Still very excited to keep going!

My problem with the level design is that the layout of Aionios is much more conventional than the Bionis and Alrest, so it ends up feeling like any other JRPG/open world game (although I do agree with the decision to move away from Titans, after 2 it would've gotten old hat). Also, they should have made the fully upgraded walking speed the default and upgrade even further from there, or give you some kind of vehicle for land traversal. After a point going through these vast open landscapes is more annoying than exciting, not to mention the sheer amount of enemies

and you're not getting anything from it. you don't even need to do it. there's no quest. there's no reward. there's just your characters and their duty to the dead. and you find them, you climb mountains, make your way past dangerous monsters, just to see them off.

chest who?
I like the interaction a lot too. You do always get affinity points for doing it though even if you haven’t met the colony they are for yet.

So finished chapter 4 last night and…

Yes. N was Noah, and of course I saw M-io also, with long hair. Character seems to be reborn time and time again according to Eunie visions/memories and Ethel.

Now I have a theory of what may be happening in the world: Consuls are the real people, while party members and other colony inhabitants are artificial pawns created by them to play in a chess-like game.

However, it seems like Melia and Nia are trapped there against their will. Or so I get from the Melia robot reveal 🤔

Finally, the Guernica Vandam team seems to be in the known and want to liberate people of this eternal cycle of war they are in.

Excited to see if I’m correct!

so I have Noah reaching Rank 10 with Ethel’s Flash Fencer class, but I don’t see any of those master skills or arts when I switch back to Swordfighter. Same with Lanz and War Medic, and Eunie with Full Metal Jaguar. Did I miss something about how to unlock master arts and skills?

so I have Noah reaching Rank 10 with Ethel’s Flash Fencer class, but I don’t see any of those master skills or arts when I switch back to Swordfighter. Same with Lanz and War Medic, and Eunie with Full Metal Jaguar. Did I miss something about how to unlock master arts and skills?
Master Arts can only be equipped on classes of the opposite nation. For Noah to use his mastered Keves Arts, he needs to be an Agnus class. The Keves classes have Arts with circle icons that recharge on timers, while the Agnus classes have Arts with square icons that recharge by auto-attacking.

Master Skills are usable with any class. Check under the menu option for skills under each character and the unlocked Master Skills will be listed.

Hot(?) Take: Lanz is the best party member because he gets a significant time with every other character at least once and you get a good sense of how they feel about him in return. This doesn't necessarily mean best character in terms of story significance, but I appreciate him the most.

Chapter 5:

So I completed the quests for Fiona and Triton and really happy about how well the former plays. This chapter is becoming my favorite despite the boat lol.

Otherwise everything here has been great.

The 30% CP boost meal from colony 11 -
Seems like I cant learn that recipe, anyone know why? I have to go back to there and buy it in the canteena every time I want it.

The 30% CP boost meal from colony 11 -
Seems like I cant learn that recipe, anyone know why? I have to go back to there and buy it in the canteena every time I want it.
Manana's version will have slightly different name and effects, for the one from Colony 11 I think it is:
  • Colony version: +30% CP gain.
  • Manana version: +20% CP gain and +10% Collectible drop.
The difference was pretty well contextualized imo, since Manana mentioned sometimes along the way that she prefers balanced meals and it shows in the resulting meal effects.

Last edited:
My problem with the level design is that the layout of Aionios is much more conventional than the Bionis and Alrest, so it ends up feeling like any other JRPG/open world game
define layout. are you actually talking about the layout or visual theming (say, fairly earth-like grassland with trees vs magical forest shimmering with strange colors - that's what it sounds like when you then bring up how comparatively more conventional it is compared against Bionis and Alrest). because when I hear layout I get out the claws again and pounce because the way the world is laid out - aka its "level design" - for you to engage with, with all its intertwined areas that wrap around and resolve into one another and open up into new places upon late retraversal, is pure MonolithSoft excellence that other games wish they could do as well on that scale.

I like the interaction a lot too. You do always get affinity points for doing it though even if you haven’t met the colony they are for yet.
crap, forgot about that 😅

Manana's version will have slightly different name and effects, for the one from Colony 11 I think it is:
  • Colony version: +30% CP gain.
  • Manana version: +20% CP gain and +10% Collectible drop.
The difference was pretty well contextualized imo, since Manana mentioned sometimes along the way that she prefer balanced meals and it shows in the resulting meal effects.

Ah that seems reasonable.. with 50 hours of gameplay, some stuff just doesnt stick :p
Thanks.

define layout. are you actually talking about the layout or visual theming (say, fairly earth-like grassland with trees vs magical forest shimmering with strange colors - that's what it sounds like when you then bring up how comparatively more conventional it is compared against Bionis and Alrest). because when I hear layout I get out the claws again and pounce because the way the world is laid out - aka its "level design" - for you to engage with, with all its intertwined areas that wrap around and resolve into one another and open up into new places upon late retraversal, is pure MonolithSoft excellence that other games wish they could do as well on that scale.

I think they mean

No "2 giant titans fighting each other in the middle of nothing" or "floating living titans among a cloud sea" VS a normal planet/world concept (like Mira)

And I agreed with this criticism, too bad (???) the game has such a great level design that I forget about everything exploring it

Will add of course there are great, magical parts of XC2 as well, Leftheria is my favourite but even places like Uraya, Tantal failed to connect on a “Xenoblade” level. Uraya looked nice but it was mostly a linear path to a boring town. Tantal had huge areas of absolutely nothing. Getting to the top of Ribbi Flats and being able to see pretty much the entire Fornis region and everything you experienced over the last 10 hours, that’s magical to me. I know it’s not “you are inside a big fish” but it suits the game wonderfully.
Oh wow, I loved Fonsa Myma with its renaissance-inspired look, the cobblestone paths, the winding back alleys, the lamposts aligning the street to the dock, the theater posters all over town, and the stairway leading to the secret aqua garden that you can slide down. And I love how you can see the beautiful castle from anywhere in the stomach. I will forever maintain that 2 has the best towns in any JRPG with Torigoth and Fonsa Myma being the standouts.

Also, they should have made the fully upgraded walking speed the default and upgrade even further from there, or give you some kind of vehicle for land traversal.
*Eiji Aonuma sneaks up behind you*
Aonuma: the bike...

Oh wow, I loved Fonsa Myma with its renaissance-inspired look, the cobblestone paths, the winding back alleys, the lamposts aligning the street to the dock, the theater posters all over town, and the stairway leading to the secret aqua garden that you can slide down. And I love how you can see the beautiful castle from anywhere in the stomach. I will forever maintain that 2 has the best towns in any JRPG with Torigoth and Fonsa Myma being the standouts.
It looks lovely but I just didn’t think there was much to it beyond that, just another place to buy a bunch of pouch items I’ll never use. Felt the same about Theosoir too, I just never built a connection to those places for whatever reason! It feels kinda like a film set to me.

Big slide good though.

I dunno how you can look at the way something like the Aetia region all fits together and go “bad level design”, especially compared to XC2.

What was really all that magical or joyful about the actual experience of exploring Alrest? Field skill checks and chests full of common core crystals? Remember how hard Gormott was to navigate? If you’re coming at it from an idea of setting then you can definitely prefer 2 but the map design in 3 is really a cut above and is a far better support for the game’s mechanics, even if those mechanics are “play flute at dead body”.

While I don't think 3's world is bad or badly designed at all, and I still really love it, I do think that 2 has the edge here, and that's partially due to the whole 'fairy tail/completely out-there' vibes you get from a lot of the places, yes. But I think the main thing that 2 has over 3 is rewards and reasons to explore. In 3, all you can really find are containers (which other than maybe nopon coins don't feel very useful or worth it, but even nopon coins don't feel very exciting to get), and dead bodies. Which yes, there's a nice thematic part to sending them and getting some affinity is nice, but other than that, there's not much there.

In 2, there's a ton of things you can find by exploring: Chests can contain core crystals, which even the common ones are nice to stockpile so that you can pump them into the gacha machine to get all the Blades. You can also get blade core chips, some of which can be VERY good and completely change how you play certain blades or really help your combat. And accessories, too, just like in 3. You can also get money, which while you DO also get that in 3, in 3 money is completely useless; not so in 2. In 2, you need money to buy all the items at shops to unlock their 'patron perk', as well as there are just a lot of money sinks in the game for buying really expensive core crystals and some of the Blade affinity tree unlocks and such.

And that's really the main thing 2 has over 3: Blade affinity trees. These ALWAYS give you tons of reasons to explore, since you might find a set of monsters that you need to kill to unlock a node, or items that you need for a node, or a Unique Monster that you need to kill for Zenobia, or like... 5000 other things. Blade affinity trees basically reward you for doing literally everything there is to do in the game, and it creates a really nice feedback loop that I feel like isn't quite as present in XC3.

Granted I'm not yet done with the game, but so far at least, it feels to me like XC3 is a great game for people who want to do a lot of things and most of the hero quests and such, but isn't as rewarding for people who want to 100% the game and do literally everything in it. On that front, XC2 has it beaten pretty soundly, IMO.

And that's really the main thing 2 has over 3: Blade affinity trees. These ALWAYS give you tons of reasons to explore, since you might find a set of monsters that you need to kill to unlock a node, or items that you need for a node, or a Unique Monster that you need to kill for Zenobia, or like... 5000 other things. Blade affinity trees basically reward you for doing literally everything there is to do in the game, and it creates a really nice feedback loop that I feel like isn't quite as present in XC3.
I half agree with you. Those “kill 5 ponios” or “collect 5 ruby mangosteen” quests were some of my favourites in XC1 because like you said, while you’re exploring, you’re actively working towards something just by chewing through enemies / collectibles on your way to a new area.

Moving those quests and others to the blade affinity charts in 2 made exploring more fun because again, you were getting wee rewards for actually just being in and interacting with the world ~BUT~ any time I wanted to actively (not passively) do affinity chart stuff especially later in the game, I felt like I was backtracking to places I’d been a hundred times before, wailing on enemies 20 levels below me or using my level 1 special 15 times in a row. I half agree with you!

2 definitely had the best towns, sure.

The maps in general were, at their best, dense and labyrinthine, full of secrets in obscure places. But they were also kind of obtuse. There was a lot of unintuitive, "drop down here and take like 1000 hp of fall damage to get to this ledge that contains this chest" or whatever. The worst one was in the blade quest of that goth girl blade, where you had to jump off a section on the upper level of Gormott to fall into a closed-off section of the lower level.
Or that area underneath the Mor Ardain capital.

And I think Tantal is just about the worst "big" Xenoblade area. The town is cool, along with how it sits in the landscape. But the wide-open expanse on the bottom, and the complicated array of pillars and paths above are just a pain in the ass, not fun at all to me.

I was apprehensive at the lack of "titan" gimmicks to 3. Especially because I feel like neither of the two games have really truly reached the potential of the concept. An open-world, moving titan that you could explore every inch of would be incredible, and I hope Monolith return to the idea someday.
But having said that, I think the world in 3 delivers as much wonderment as the previous games did. I think there just might be a touch of fatigue about, you know, glowing trees, ether particles, all that kinda stuff. But I think the vistas are utterly captivating. I can't understand the comment about them being "normal" or "down-to-earth" or whatever. They're utterly fantastical, and the scale of them dwarfs the previous game. It feels like being a kid and flipping through a fantasy novel and seeing all the illustrations, except here you can move around the illustration and actually get to that far off point in the distance and look back.
The trick the game plays, by confining you, and then revealing everything it had hidden from you? That's a really cool trick. I keep returning to the same areas and I keep on discovering that there is just so much more to them than I ever imagined.
Just today I fully explored Elaice Highway and found myself at the same crossroads I was at during Chapter 2, where the team decided to take the longer, safer route round. The way this shit connects is in itself very impressive to me.

I personally don't care much about the difference since my favorite 2 area was the smallest one (Land of Morytha), I believe that every xenoblade entry offers a different world element and they should be equally appreciated, not compared

I love(!)towns and cities in video games.

I also believe "big video game world must have towns and cities, otherwise we deduct points" to be kind of silly.

Done practically more than half of the ascension quests. They have been really awesome so far. I've enjoyed every single one of them.

Xeno3 is much better than 2 until now.

65h and I’m on chapter 5.
I just wish this game would give you better treasures while exploring. It feels like Elden Ring. I like to explore just to fight tougher enemies.
They should try to replicate the old FF days where you go to dungeons so you can acquire new weapons and gear.

Xeno3 is much better than 2 until now.

65h and I’m on chapter 5.
I just wish this game would give you better treasures while exploring. It feels like Elden Ring. I like to explore just to fight tougher enemies.
They should try to replicate the old FF days where you go to dungeons so you can acquire new weapons and gear.
dunno what you mean, the best gear is found through exploring and fighting UMs

I have to say that Sena's ascension quest was disappointing comparatively:
it honestly felt like more of a Ghondor quest than anything to me.
Definitely feel like she gets the short end of the stick more than the other main party members.

Back
Top Bottom