• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Super Mario Bros. Movie Pre-Release Discussion Thread (Now releasing April 5th in the US)

Final Worldwide Box Office Predictions

• Less than $300 million (Absolute Flop)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • $300-450 million (in line with other video game adaptations)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • $450-700 million (best video game adaptation, in line with other recent animated films)

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • $700 million-1 billion (higher tier for all but the biggest hits

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • $1-1.3 billion (Top 10 highest grossing animated film of all time, Illumination’s biggest success)

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • $1.3-1.6 billion (Frozen tier)

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 1.6 billion+ (unseats the Lion King remake as the most successful animated movie of all time)

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last thing I want is a connected universe. Marvel has made me sick of that shit already
preach. there is a guy in one of the metroid discord servers that keeps talking about an mcu like nintendo universe and its the most dreadful thing to read what that person says lmao

Can't wait to see all the articles and videos with this as the thumbnail when the movie makes bank:

super-mario-bros-movie.jpg

To be fair, I kind of want to see them to a fake out for an NCU. Like have Regie or Doug Bowser show up to "talk about the Smash initiative"...then it hard cuts to like a tv show deal or amiibo deal.

I like the visuals of the movie but I still don't like the generic humor that every animation movie of the last 10 years has. For me this kind of humor doesn't fit the Mario franchise
Mario and Luigi Partners in Time has even more generic humor(and outdated)

Mario and Luigi Partners in Time has even more generic humor(and outdated)

Ha interesting, never played one of those. Now I'm interested if the german translation is also like this and what the original text in japanese was. I remember one Zelda picture where NoA put a doge meme in the game but the german version just had "normal" text.

Last edited:
Ha interesting, never played one of those. Now I'm interested if the german translation is also like this and what the original text in japanese was. I remember one Zelda picture where NoA put a doge meme in the game but the german version just had "normal" text.

The original text was written in a style as if they were robots, in a way that would convey that how they're speaking is really unnatural and weird. If I remember correctly, they immediately complain about being made to talk like that once they're freed of the machines.

It's a good enough localisation, the game came out in like 2005.

Last edited:

I'm still wondering where that shot of Peach and Toad riding towards the castle falls. It looks like it's in the early morning, which suggests this might be after the Rainbow Road section but before what is presumably the final battle at the Mushroom Kingdom.

I'm still wondering where that shot of Peach and Toad riding towards the castle falls. It looks like it's in the early morning, which suggests this might be after the Rainbow Road section but before what is presumably the final battle at the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm guessing it's the typical heroes journey thing. Mario gets Luigi back at the end of the Rainbow Road segment, then decides to go home. Peach and Toad go to face Bowser on their own. Then Mario decides to come back after a change of heart.

It may be a bit convoluted.. but I wondering if they're going to play some element of "prophecy" with the Mario Bros. arrival at the Mushroom Kingdom.. because Bowser was doing just fine before they arrived, and Luigi is kept captive for some reason.. to lure Mario to Bowser's clutches? For what? Why Bowser is so afraid of Mario, if they never met before? (Even though he said he's not threatened in the last TV spot)..

I think there's a chance to sparkling some of the Yoshi's Island origin story here, as I predicted first (mixing and match both things); with the whole "Star Children" thing and Mario and Luigi being native of this world, but finding out during this journey. After all, Yoshi is not part of the main cast, even though we've seen Yoshi's Island will be appearing in the movie.

I think Kamek is the only one old enough to remember the events, and will be warning Bowser that the brothers can be a problem for his plans.

I think there's a chance to sparkling some of the Yoshi's Island origin story here, as I predicted first (mixing and match both things); with the whole "Star Children" thing and Mario and Luigi being native of this world, but finding out during this journey. After all, Yoshi is not part of the main cast, even though we've seen Yoshi's Island will be appearing in the movie.
Yeah I can totally see Kamek doing whole "I had a vision where a plumber in red will be your downfall", from Yoshi's Island.

It may be a bit convoluted.. but I wondering if they're going to play some element of "prophecy" with the Mario Bros. arrival at the Mushroom Kingdom.. because Bowser was doing just fine before they arrived, and Luigi is kept captive for some reason.. to lure Mario to Bowser's clutches? For what? Why Bowser is so afraid of Mario, if they never met before? (Even though he said he's not threatened in the last TV spot)..

I think Kamek is the only one old enough to remember the events, and will be warning Bowser that the brothers can be a problem for his plans.
Okay I'd be super down for this

I think it's at least somewhat more likely they'll go for the more simple approach that Mushroom Kingdom denizens just don't have the capacity or physicality to contend against Bowser's forces. They lampshade it in the previous trailer, and it's also obvious that Mario needs help from the Kong clan and Peach to go up against foes. Moreover the directors also said that they want to replicate the experience of Mario's growth to the type of growth the player experiences playing Mario games so I think they'll emphasize the everyman angle rather than the chosen one angle. I'm guessing Kamek will warn Bowser that they've spotted Peach rallying a real army of forces and that the main guy at the forefront is someone who's looking suspiciously a lot like Luigi.

I could definitely see there being something regarding Peach though. Herself and her combat prowess only sticks out all the more in the Mushroom Kingdom right now, and her speaking of galaxies could be setup for the reveal that she's someone who's not originally from the Mushroom Kingdom world. I can see it being sequel setup, maybe it would explore her connection to Rosalina somehow.

Wonder what the film’s budget was.
While Illumination has been on the lower end of animation budgets up until now I wouldn't be surprised if this is reaching closer to DreamWorks level budgets ($150m or so). It's the highest profile franchise they've gotten to work with and every bit of the film's presentation is leaps and bounds above Illumination's previous work. With the way they've described their animation advances and the film being more of an epic, this is clearly their first big bid at a "prestige" film.

She’s gonna be the Nick Fury of the post credits scene.
With peach mentioning “many galaxies in the universe” and Lumas being in the mushroom kingdom I wonder if Rosalina and outer space is already known for this movie. I always assumed she’d be someone that the characters would have to venture out to space for the first time and meet her

Worried about Rosalina’s implementation in a lighthearted movie with a comedic tone though, I love my melancholy ethereal goddess from Galaxy 1🙏🏻😭

Peacock 45 days after theatrical release and apparently US Netflix in late 2023 due to a deal with Illumination and Netflix to bring their movies to Netflix for a limited time.
Ah, so I would presume in LA it's probably going to debut until later this year as well.

Wife is at the Universal Studios theme park in FL and she tells me that they've been rolling out the marketing there with toys, posters, photo ops, etc

Wife is at the Universal Studios theme park in FL and she tells me that they've been rolling out the marketing there with toys, posters, photo ops, etc
Can confirm the photo ops and posters, haven't seen any toys yet though.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

My personal speculation as to how the movie's gonna play out (spoilers because long and I know some people aren't into reading synopsis speculation)

Opening scene of Bowser stealing the Power Star, cut to New York where Mario and Luigi's plumbing business is shown and they establish the character dynamics a bit and how they're a bit of a struggling underdog enterprise. Luigi's probably shown to be insecure/full of self-doubt, maybe he had an especially bad history with Foreman Spike which was the reason the brothers quit that job, but Mario's gonna be the enthusiastic go-getter who tries to encourage him. They wind up in the Mushroom Kingdom through a warp with Luigi taken by Bowser while Mario goes through his training arc to rescue him. Bowser uses Luigi as bait (maybe he threatens info out of him) and Mario rescues him but while this is happening they do a "Bowser is in another castle" gag to reveal that Bowser and the Power Star aren't there, they've waged an invasion on the Mushroom Kingdom. Mario decides to go back to save them while Luigi wants to go home since he has enough trauma for one day. Luigi later changes his mind and shows up in the final hour (maybe he gets motivated by Lumalee) and through sheer force of will and belief in his abilities he slapsticks his way into the fray as him and Mario combine forces. At some point they also snag the Power Star and share its power to become invincible and take down Bowser by dropping him into a lava pit (setting up Dry Bowser for the sequel). Peach bakes them a celebratory cake and the brothers go home to continue their business, ending with a soliloquy about how their "work" is now expanding from the streets of Brooklyn to across the galaxies.

Post-credits tease of Lumalee sneaking into Peach's castle, Peach discovers it and takes Lumalee's presence as a sign that she's closer than ever to finding someone who she's been looking for all her life (implying that Peach's knowledge of multiple galaxies could be because she's originally not from this one). Pan out to the vast space and end on a sea of Lumas, with Rosalina's hand reaching out to one. End film.

Last edited:
Yeah, definitely looks like Mario agrees to help Peach on the proviso that it will save Luigi.

As a couple of posters mentioned above, his arc will probably involve him growing from someone who is mainly interested in saving his brother and going home into the big hero and mainstay of the Mushroom Kingdom we all know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom