• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Super Mario Bros. Movie Pre-Release Discussion Thread (Now releasing April 5th in the US)

Final Worldwide Box Office Predictions

• Less than $300 million (Absolute Flop)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • $300-450 million (in line with other video game adaptations)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • $450-700 million (best video game adaptation, in line with other recent animated films)

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • $700 million-1 billion (higher tier for all but the biggest hits

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • $1-1.3 billion (Top 10 highest grossing animated film of all time, Illumination’s biggest success)

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • $1.3-1.6 billion (Frozen tier)

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 1.6 billion+ (unseats the Lion King remake as the most successful animated movie of all time)

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Japanese twitter account uploaded the poster in slightly higher quality than the English one so it's a bit easier to see those cameos.

FixoK0gaYAIxSxf

First feeling for the new DK design was mixed, so i put some latest artwork of the to this day used Rare design and the new one from the movie next to each other on my third monitor and casually looked at them every few moments for some time.

I gotta say i now fully dig the new design and it craps on the old one.

Please use this one for any future DK appearance in games, Nintendo. Shiggy designed (or helped designing) it, you gotta use it.

I really don't like the Donkey Kong design! It just isn't cute. Especially not when compared to Rare's version.
But Diddy and Dixie are MAXIMALLY cute omg I love them

I feel like the narrative is 100% going to involve Mario and Peach heading to the Kong Island to win the support of the Kongs to help defeat Bowser, allowing both the reference to Mario vs DK in the original arcade game, given they will initially butt heads (maybe it's Cranky's champion vs Peach's champion?) as well as establishing the Kongs in a meaningful way for merchandising but also for the next Nintendo movie to be Donkey Kong itself, with less risk attached because of the notable presence in Super Mario.

I feel like the narrative is 100% going to involve Mario and Peach heading to the Kong Island to win the support of the Kongs to help defeat Bowser, allowing both the reference to Mario vs DK in the original arcade game, given they will initially butt heads (maybe it's Cranky's champion vs Peach's champion?) as well as establishing the Kongs in a meaningful way for merchandising but also for the next Nintendo movie to be Donkey Kong itself, with less risk attached because of the notable presence in Super Mario.

I was thinking pretty much this, yeah. The entire thing being in a sort of arena, with Cranky looking sort of smug about Mario getting beaten up, seems to be spot on about something like this.

I wonder if the reason we haven't seen that rumoured DK game yet is they're using these redesigns for all the Kongs and wanted to get the movie out first so people get accustomed to it before they release the game. Kinda crazy they're moving away from the Rareware Kong designs after all this time. Not that the new designs are bad mind.

I wonder if the reason we haven't seen that rumoured DK game yet is they're using these redesigns for all the Kongs and wanted to get the movie out first so people get accustomed to it before they release the game. Kinda crazy they're moving away from the Rareware Kong designs after all this time. Not that the new designs are bad mind.
It's not clear if that is the case - these designs don't seem to be getting used in the theme park, for example, so I'm not sure Nintendo would want to use them in a game and then have that kind of dissonance between the theme park on one hand (using outdated designs that quickly need replacing) and the games/movies on the other hand.

It might just be that they wanted to reference DK's origins vs Mario in an easy visual style. Plus, outside of Cranky's outfit, I don't think the other Kongs have had the kind of redesign DK has had. Diddy and Dixie look pretty normal.

From what we've seen the narrative is probably something like:

Bowser attacks the ice kingdom in the opening.

Cut to the mario bros. In Brooklyn getting introduced, things happen and they somehow get sucked in to the mushroom kingdom.

Mario and Luigi get separated during this in the scene we saw of Luigi and mario trying to grab each other, Mario ends up with that toad from the first trailer who brings him to Peach, while Luigi ends up near Bowser's castle.

Peach meanwhile has initially tried to repel bowser but Toads are useless and she and Mario can't fight an army alone, but are able to hold off the army well enough for a mild retreat from both sides. Hence training montage for Mario and then they go together to DK island to try and recruit the Kong's, and Bowser goes and captures Luigi to try and get an edge over Mario.

Things happen and the Kong's eventually agree to go to attack the koopas alongside Peach/Mario/Captain toad and then we get the Mario kart scene before the climactic final battle to rescue Luigi/stop Bowser.

Cue the standard illumination dance number to end the film.

Optional, credits scene with either DK or Rosalina if they're planning on really making these a long running franchise.

Again, just to help out with speculation; there's one piece I really don't know how to place into what we've see so far.

Speaking of merch leaks... i'm embarassed it took me this long to piece this together, but...

Back in June I found that Nintendo had trademarked the names of the announced cast for the Mario movie, plus one I was unable to identify: 露马利. As you can see from the conversation below, it was suggested that Lumalee was the closest existing character name to this one, but I was skeptical as that was a pretty weird and obscure pull that also flew in the face of the Chinese localisations of other names.

I realise I was wrong and i'm not sure why this didn't come to mind as soon as I saw the McDonalds leak, lol.

unknown.png

While it's easy to write off Spike as a character that'll simply show up in the establishing minutes of the film, while the Mario brothers are still in Brooklyn, it's difficult to imagine when and how this character would come into play, or if other characters related to them will also have a role. Clearly won't just be a post-credits thing if it's getting merch, at least.

Last edited:
Mario in the games has no personality. Al his personality is more or less your own head cannon.

Since Shigeru Miyamoto is heavily involved in this movie i don't think you can claim "this isn't how Mario should behave".
Shigeru Miyamoto has made enough bad choices in his life that I think I can confidently claim that this isn't how Mario should behave with certainty that Miyamoto signing up on this "Theme Park Advertisement Film" does not shield it from criticism. Both Mario and Peach here really fail to get the characters properly and it fails because the movie decided to just repeat tried and true recent Hollywood tropes instead of actualy using their creativity to figure out something true to the characters. Mario could've easily been an underdog that takes this stuff on with enthusiasm instead of understated bumbling annoyance and Mario + Rabbids of all things managed to get us effective Peach that still feels like Peach, so this just gives the feeling that Miyamoto gave the movie staff leeway, which I approve mind you since I think artistical freedom is important, but what they chose doesn't agree with my stomach. Or my heart. Or my kidney.

Having just become aware of the Super Mario Adventures manga I'm now disappointed Peach in the movie isn't more like the Peach that I saw in a few of those panels. She seemed really fun and cool

Japanese twitter account uploaded the poster in slightly higher quality than the English one so it's a bit easier to see those cameos.

FixoK0gaYAIxSxf

Interesting to see how they modified the looks for Diddy and Dixie. Thanks for sharing!

Didn't see anyone else mention this: Mario attempts to attack Donkey Kong in the trailer with his Meteor Knuckle, his forward air attack from Super Smash Bros. Melee and later games

BQxnJKm.png

MarioFAirSSBM.gif

Yeah, the narativ is pretty by the book for current 3D animated kids movies. Nothing to special, and that sequence of events tracks (and is not really interesting in my book)
From what we've seen the narrative is probably something like:

Bowser attacks the ice kingdom in the opening.

Cut to the mario bros. In Brooklyn getting introduced, things happen and they somehow get sucked in to the mushroom kingdom.

Mario and Luigi get separated during this in the scene we saw of Luigi and mario trying to grab each other, Mario ends up with that toad from the first trailer who brings him to Peach, while Luigi ends up near Bowser's castle.

Peach meanwhile has initially tried to repel bowser but Toads are useless and she and Mario can't fight an army alone, but are able to hold off the army well enough for a mild retreat from both sides. Hence training montage for Mario and then they go together to DK island to try and recruit the Kong's, and Bowser goes and captures Luigi to try and get an edge over Mario.

Things happen and the Kong's eventually agree to go to attack the koopas alongside Peach/Mario/Captain toad and then we get the Mario kart scene before the climactic final battle to rescue Luigi/stop Bowser.

Cue the standard illumination dance number to end the film.

Optional, credits scene with either DK or Rosalina if they're planning on really making these a long running franchise.
Youre missing the Yoshis. Not shure where that would fit in.
Shigeru Miyamoto has made enough bad choices in his life that I think I can confidently claim that this isn't how Mario should behave with certainty that Miyamoto signing up on this "Theme Park Advertisement Film" does not shield it from criticism. Both Mario and Peach here really fail to get the characters properly and it fails because the movie decided to just repeat tried and true recent Hollywood tropes instead of actualy using their creativity to figure out something true to the characters. Mario could've easily been an underdog that takes this stuff on with enthusiasm instead of understated bumbling annoyance and Mario + Rabbids of all things managed to get us effective Peach that still feels like Peach, so this just gives the feeling that Miyamoto gave the movie staff leeway, which I approve mind you since I think artistical freedom is important, but what they chose doesn't agree with my stomach. Or my heart. Or my kidney.
Mario / Peach Dynamic reminds me a ton of Emmet and Lucy. And that not a good sign.
They will have this movie, it will be a success, and we get a sequel in 3 years that's retconing the characters to be more in line with the games.
Or, bad timeline: the games start to mimic the movie counterparts more....
I like what we have seen of mario in the games. Hes not stuck up, but mostly grounded, with clear fun in what he does. Hes not performing. This mario is.
Peach is overplaying the though aspect here. Why is the solution to making strong female Charters:
make them behave like straight shooting touch guys, and let them soften up because of the main Protagonist? I like her characterization in the games more.

Yeah that scene was/will be definitely a Smash Bros reference.

Though it's time for me to check out of this thread cause, man, there's a lot going on in here over 4 minutes of the film.

Last edited:
peach redesign is clearly for the mario warriors title they're going to surprise announce and release alongside the movie

Didn't see anyone else mention this: Mario attempts to attack Donkey Kong in the trailer with his Meteor Knuckle, his forward air attack from Super Smash Bros. Melee and later games

BQxnJKm.png

MarioFAirSSBM.gif
nice catch! Thought this was a reach at first but yeah the hand positioning makes it clear it’s a reference.

I'm gonna hate every part that has Mario in it, aren't I? His attitude and direction is so formulaic and boring, and not at all like his character.
There is a clear misunderstanding of the character's appeal yes, and it's not just "fish out of water" stuff as much as it's outright ignoring his happy go lucky "up for anything" persona.

Pratt sounds good here. Not really seeing what's wrong about it, it isn't far off at all from the Brooklyn accent some people were proposing for Mario. Fitting.

Pratt sounds good here. Not really seeing what's wrong about it, it isn't far off at all from the Brooklyn accent some people were proposing for Mario. Fitting.
Personally I think the voice is really fine, it's just the whole character's attitude which is remarkably off-putting compared to what you'd expect from Mario. Even a "first time?" Mario.

So at first I was like fuck yeah, clear pipes, they know what they're doing but Mario came out of a green pipe which is clearly wrong but it could just be cut that way but then he goes into a green pipe and comes out of a red pipe almost immediately.

Burn this whole thing down.
Also clear pipes don’t sound the same as normal pipes.

So at this point is the only character that has had a name attached to their role that we haven't heard yet is Sebastian Maniscalco's Foreman Spike?
Well we haven’t heard Cranky yet, just seen him.

So at this point is the only character that has had a name attached to their role that we haven't heard yet is Sebastian Maniscalco's Foreman Spike?
well, we technically didn't hear anything from DK or Cranky even;

but I'm excited to see Foreman Spike's modern design!

So at first I was like fuck yeah, clear pipes, they know what they're doing but Mario came out of a green pipe which is clearly wrong but it could just be cut that way but then he goes into a green pipe and comes out of a red pipe almost immediately.

Burn this whole thing down.
I think it's just a cut for the ad; they are safe... for now... >:3

Yeah I'm mixed there, even for a "fish out of water" Mario this isn't what I'd expect him to be like when entering the Mushroom Kingdom. He seems more bewildered and like "this sucks" rather than the kind of childlike enthusiasm and curiosity we associate with the character.

I think Mario feels off but a lot of what I think we've seen is early on in the movie and the Mario we "know" comes more into fruition towards the middle and end of the movie. It doesn't really bother me.

DK, looks better in action. The mouth is the biggest issue for me but it's relatively a small issue lol. Either way, I'm excited for the movie. Seems like a great time.

With the exception of Pratt sounding bland AF, all other actresses and actors sound pretty good to me.
Expressions, personality and design of Peach is awesome.
I loved that toads are very charismatic too, and they look and perform like that Toad of an animation of Mario from the 90s that has a lot of memes lol.
I think it's gonna be a good movie, and loved that they've put a lot of references to the games.

My hot take: people are waaay too hung up on the voice actors. Who cares if Chris Prat or Anya whatever is voicing the characters. They are good voice actors yes, but in the end, any good voice actors would suffice. Just watch the movie and ignore who’s voicing who ffs.
I kind of completely disagree

actors — and voice actors — completely make or break a movie

I’m not even saying all actors have to be good because there’s absolute value in an actor being bad in a fun way, especially with a wild premise

but entirely divorcing voice acting and their performances from the thing… what?

I've watched the trailer several times now and the only thing I hate is Chris Pratt's "yelling" vocalizations in the obstacle course scenes. It sounds so half-hearted and it actually makes me cringe every time.

Other than that though, it's an amazing trailer.

I kind of completely disagree

actors — and voice actors — completely make or break a movie

I’m not even saying all actors have to be good because there’s absolute value in an actor being bad in a fun way, especially with a wild premise

but entirely divorcing voice acting and their performances from the thing… what?
Yeah, voice performance is extremely important in an animated film. I don’t know how one can just ignore it.

Just saw the new 30 second ad, looks great.

But the trailer that was rated like a 3 weeks ago was about 90 seconds long, yesterday's trailer was over 120 seconds. So is there another trailer only in cinemas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom